the boys we used to be
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NERON
show me how defenceless you really are
"That goes for both of us," Neron replied with a quiet smirk, though the awkwardness was equally felt. Neron had always been more aloof between them, though, and so hiding it came more naturally to him. He walked them in through the Palace doors, nodding to the guards as they went, and headed up through the winding stairs towards his study; it was favoured over his bedroom at this point.

The news about Loren's friend was unexpected - and perhaps a step in the right direction between them - and he glanced across at his twin. "I'm sorry to hear that. If you need anything, I'll do what I can. Even if that is just leaving you alone." He opened the door to the study that Loren might go inside first. "Though ideally I'd prefer the opposite. Our good Captain Aristomache has informed me about a number of duties I have been lax in upholding."

Tactfully glancing away at the reprimand about his wellbeing, Neron gave little more than a nod to his twin. "I will certainly keep that in mind," he murmured, closing the door behind them. "The windows mostly have shutters already, and it is no trouble to go out during the evening. With Deepfrost on the way, it will be getting darker anyhow."
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Following Neron into the Palace, Loren nodded at the guards as well. They entered into the Warden's study, which the healer actually hadn't seen before. Glancing around, he shook his head at his older brother's comment about being left alone. "I just need time, not space." The younger twin clasped his hands behind his back. "How can I help you and the good Captain?"

Smiling faintly, he looked at the study's window, which was indeed shuttered. "That was more my way of saying it doesn't matter to me." Lifting one of his hands from behind his back, feathers rippled across his skin, followed by fur. "You wouldn't be the first to seek out the gods for the strength to withstand Zariah."
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NERON
"Time and not space it is, then," Neron murmured, having moved to sit in a comfortable chair by his bookshelves (which had been moved pointedly away from the fireplace, in the same way his desk had been moved from in front of the window). He offered Loren a seat in the chair opposite; his twin would likely notice that those books which were not dedicated to history, map making, magic and so on, were - naturally - terrible romance novels.

"Well, as you can imagine, I am not in Morgan's good books currently." The extent at which the Warden had earned his Captain's ire was as of yet unknown because we haven't gotten there yet in the thread, but she had mentioned his slacking off on a number of issues. "The cannibals at Whitebrim are escalating their activities in the leadup to Deepfrost. I may have to lead an expedition myself to deal with the issue - I would appreciate your help. The people are also talking of Longnight and the Hollowed Grounds monsters. You may as well know now, that I plan to bar access to the portal, or anywhere outside the Citadel, when the snows come in. It is too dangerous to travel during Deepfrost in Halo."

A warmer smile flickered across Neron's face, and he shrugged his shoulders. "I am glad it doesn't. It makes things a lot easier," he murmured, watching the feathers sprout along his twin's arm. "Well aren't we a pair? My strength came more by way of being impervious to pain, granted. But still."
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Glancing briefly at the titles of the books, Loren turned away from them relatively quickly. His once nearly insatiable curiosity for knowledge and volumes of any kind had been tempered. So he simply sank down in the chair that Neron had indicated.

Nodding at the Warden's comment about the Captain, the healer's brow furrowed in concentration as his older brother listed all the problems in Halo. "I'd be happy to help with the cannibals." Then the younger twin frowned slightly. Drumming his fingers on his thigh, he looked away slightly. "I understand. If I may, you might wish to mention this to Rexanna. I...might have offered to host some of the more vulnerable population of the Hollowed Ground during LongNight, so long as they bring their own supplies, as a gesture of goodwill." Tone unapologetic, he met Neron's gaze squarely.

Smiling back, Loren lowered his arm. "Careful brother. We wouldn't want people to accuse you of being cocky now." Strangely enough, his voice was lightly teasing.
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
"It's a plan. I'll let you know when I have further details," Neron said of the cannibals, making a mental note to jot that down with the rest of his plans later. The frown Loren gave afterwards was telling, though, and Neron relaxed in his seat as he waited for his brother to deliver what he anticipated was difficult news.

It certainly wasn't ideal, but hearing that the population would be bringing their own supplies was a start. "I will be meeting with Rexanna very shortly," he said. "I will bring it up and, with her agreement, it should be able to go ahead. A gesture of goodwill goes far." As Loren would well know. There were some snags, however. "Would these vulnerable people be arriving at the start of Deepfrost, or just before Longnight? Either way, I will leave it to you to ensure they have adequate accommodation. And to lead them here, if they come once the blizzards have started." It had been Loren's idea, after all.

Snorting, Neron bared his fangs in a grin. "Cocky? Me? You must surely be mistaken," he said, before the smile faded. "I have not told Zariah what has happened yet. Though I have no doubt that she may already be aware."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Nodding in agreement, Loren leaned back in his chair. "I'm not sure. Either way, I'll take care of it." Then he tilted his head to one side. "It's probably worth mentioning to Rexanna that Torchline or the Greatwood would be a more comfortable place to stay during LongNight. I don't think anyone was factoring in Halo's climate." This time, his voice was actually apologetic.

"Surely." It came out in a wry drawl. "Want me to be there when you tell her?" He smirked. "For moral support, of course." Honestly, he was legitimately amused at the thought of Zariah once more being thwarted in her admittedly ridiculous goals.
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
"The climate will remind them soon enough," Neron assured his brother, his voice serious. They had not experienced Deepfrost properly in Halo; lessons would be learned, and learned quickly for any newcomers who came to seek refuge. "I will say as much to Rexanna, but I know that things are strained in the Greatwood with the Fae. The woods are closer, true, and it will be no colder than the Hollowed Grounds. But that is no good if the people are hunted down, or have nowhere to stay."

Two Launceleyns discussing the wellbeing of all. Who would have known?

The Warden let out a sigh at the consideration of Loren's moral support, but ultimately he shook his head. "As I say, I do not hate Zariah. I do not blame her for our upbringing, and for what she thinks she must do for our family. But I asked for consideration and I was given an iron fist. And I won't live like that any longer." He smiled to his twin. "I should be alright. What have I to fear now? That she will hurt me and I will enjoy it?" He shrugged.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Nodding, Loren tapped his fingers on his thighs thoughtfully. "So long as the non-Ascended stay out of the village, they should be fine. I agree, the lack of shelter might be a problem." Pausing, he glanced up at Neron. "By the way, the Fae will kill any Ascended who set foot in their woods." It was a gentle warning, though the healer's face was slightly concerned.

It grew more concerned as the Warden spoke. "Honestly? That she'll beat the shit out of you, throw you in a cage somewhere, and try to take over Halo for herself. And when she fails in that, what she might do after." The younger twin shrugged. "I know you can take care of yourself. But I do worry about her reaction. And...just because you can stand on your own doesn't mean you have to."
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
Neron had heard as much regarding the Fae during the Capturing the Sun festival, but he appreciated the reminder of his new world order since ascending and nodded. "Perhaps I will discuss that matter with Rexanna, too," he said, smirking. "It seems I have a list of things to talk with her about. And here I was just hoping to admire her beauty and indulge in idle chit-chat. Though I do wonder why those in the Grounds do not go to Torchline. I have heard it is quite the paradise."

Talk continued to grow more serious, and Neron was not foolish enough to brush off Loren's concerns or his warnings. He hummed a soft agreement. "I would hope with you and the Captain at the very least, we might prevent that possibility," he said quietly. "But perhaps you are right. I need not do this alone - I may call on you, then, when the time comes?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren snorted. "Plenty of time for both." Then he smiled faintly. "You know you can always delegate, right?" It was spoken in a wry tone, given that he knew neither of them was particularly good at letting others do things for them.

At the mention of Torchline, he frowned. "At the risk of sounding negligent in my duties here, don't let the pretty exterior of Torchline fool you. The people there are unlikely to welcome an influx of outsiders without a subtle exchange, one that would cost the Hollowed Ground dearly."

Grinning fiercely, he leaned forward. "You may. Trust me, it would be my pleasure." There was a great deal of protectiveness in his voice, though he nodded reassuringly at Neron. "Don't worry, I'll follow your lead."
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
"I'm quite aware. Why, did you wish to speak to the beautiful Queen of the Hollowed Grounds in my stead?" Neron grinned. "I have already sent a letter asking if she would like to visit Halo. It would make sense to bring up these matters at the same time." Other tasks though, he would happily hand off to his twin or the Captain or not Zariah she'd probably murder him any other member of the cabinet.

Arching an eyebrow and hearing Loren out regarding Torchline, Neron hummed out a sigh and nodded. "Noted. Not that I have much of an investment about what costs the Hollowed Grounds accrue, but it is good to keep on the radar for the future. I like to think it testament to Halo's infrastructure that no one has fled the land to the warmer reaches of Torchline." He chuckled.

He wasn't sure whether or not he liked the fierceness in his twin - he understood protectiveness (sort of?) but he would not react well to active malice against Zariah. "Thank you," he said nonetheless, truly appreciating having him in his corner.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren carefully schooled his features into a neutral mask. "She's all yours." There was a distinct lack of inflection in his voice as he spoke about Rexanna. Nodding, he simply gestured for Neron to continue.

Smiling faintly, the healer glanced at the fire. "I imagine the transition from the cold to the heat is a bit too much to handle for many of them." However, he nodded again. "But yes, it is certainly a testament to you and your rule."

Awkwardly shifting his weight from side to side, he rubbed his hands together. "You're welcome." Pausing, he sighed. "You know...this is not exactly how I dreamed of us coming together. But I'm glad it's finally happening."
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
Loren's statement seemed loaded at best, and Neron levelled a glance at his brother that begged to hear more. But his twin was enigmatic at best, and it could well be the case that he really was just leaving him to deal with Rexanna as requested. Either way, there was a more important matter to deal with than personal visits from a fellow monarch, especially now that they had hammered out the itinerary.

Raising a brow, Neron snorted and shook his head. "My rule? I was a lawyer once, Loren - the man they sent in on someone else's behalf. Rest assured I am not so pompous as to think that this is simply down to me. I had help. And I'll have more of it now, I hope." He smiled.

Watching the strange amalgamation of awkward acceptance in his brother, Neron had to ask. "Indulge me," he said, "how on earth did you dream we would finally put our differences aside?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Letting out a huff of laughter, Loren narrowed his eyes. "In my defense, you do have a history of pompousness that almost matches my history of poor life decisions." Smiling back at Neron, the healer nodded. "You'll have help." It came out firmly, and he fully intended to keep that promise.

Still fidgeting, he shrugged. "I don't know, really. I guess I imagined I would grow powerful enough that we'd become equal in the eyes of the family. That you'd see me as someone worthy of respect, so we'd stop fighting for dominance, somehow, and start actually working together." His tone indicated that he knew how silly that was. "I idolized you, you know."
Families are like that—