the boys we used to be
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NERON
show me how defenceless you really are
With a wry smile, Neron had to accept Loren's remark as true. Because it was, wasn't it? He had been the most delightful of bastards for a very long time. "There is something about being dropped in the Tundra alone and then living with strangers for over a year that knocks it right out of you," he said. People changed - Neron was no different. Accepting the reassurance of help, he considered the matter closed for now.

Raising an eyebrow at his twin, he glanced pointedly at the space between them. "I don't think there is anyone who can say we are not equal in power these days. In fact, that scale probably skews more in your favour," he said. "And I have stopped fighting you for dominance. And we are working together." A slow smile was creeping across his face, as if to say: we are coming together as you planned.

"You idolized me?" There was a touch of confusion at that. "I always got the impression that you hated me. For good reason, mind you - I was terrible to you."
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Loren nodded at Neron's explanation, though the healer's expression had grown a little sad. "I suppose in this case I'm happy with the result even if I wish you hadn't had to go through that." The sympathetic tone was only matched by his awkward posture.

Shrugging, he ran a hand through his hair. "I'm not so sure about that, but let's not test it." Grinning a bit ruefully, he gave the Warden an otherwise content look. "Only took the completely unexpected, right?" Letting out a huff of laughter, the younger twin shook his head a little.

As his older brother asked if Loren had been telling the truth, his expression grew more serious. "Of course I did." He spread his arms a bit helplessly. "You were the perfect Launceleyn. And my brother. How could I not?"
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NERON
"Don't dwell on it, brother - I'm led to believe that things like that are known as character growth." He shrugged his shoulders, seeming much more at ease with all that had happened than Loren. Then again, the wonderful numbness that replaced all sensations of pain (and pleasure, granted) gave him a startling clarity on the world that he very much appreciated.

With a chuckle, he raised his eyebrows across at his twins. "You don't want to test your ability to trounce me in a magic fight? Zariah was right to disown you." The jibe was warm and good-natured; even Ascended, Neron's wit had not been blunted, it seemed.

Still, he couldn't help but cringe a bit at hearing himself described as the perfect Launceleyn in comparison; it was embarrassing moreso because it was true than anything else. "Well, it is my hope that idolizaton can turn into mere acceptance of each other now," he said softly.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Barking out a laugh, Loren gave Neron a chagrined look. "I've had enough character growth for two people, thank you very much. For once I'd just like a period to figure out what I've become after all of it." There was a wry tone to the healer's voice.

Lips twitching in the faintest hint of amusement, he shrugged at the Warden's quip. "Careful. If you say Zariah's right too often, her ego might swell." Now smiling full on, the younger twin gave his older brother an appraising look. "I'm not sure how much of a test it would be, but if you'd like to be humiliated in front of your people I am always happy to oblige."

Loren's smile softened into something less amused, but somehow more genuine. "Acceptance I can do. Can't promise anything else though." Then, before he could think too hard about it, he leaned over to bump Neron's shoulder with the healer's own.
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
"Well," Neron reasoned quietly, shrugging his shoulders, "with Halo closing its doors this Deepfrost, perhaps you'll have the chance you wanted. There's little to do but keep warm and reflect on the year," he said, having experienced more than one of Halo's coldest seasons since his arrival. It would make a change, not to feel constantly cold this time.

Neron's return smile was very much feline, and the older twin propped an elbow on the side of his chair to appraise his brother, as if trying to pinpoint all the weaknesses in him, magical or otherwise. For once, it was clearly lighthearted. "I never said it would be public," he said of their fight. Couldn't risk that humiliation, could he? "Woe betide us if Zariah's ego grows any further, eh?"

Not expecting the strangely familial gesture, Neron's amusement turned into something warmer and more genuine, and he nodded at Loren. "Acceptance is all I asked for. Anything else is a bonus," he said.

Later, on reflection, he would probably realise that this was the first real conversation he'd had with his brother - perhaps ever. It would be the first of many, with luck.

~FIN