Anything But Memories
Delphine Mountrose

Age: 30 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 10 - Int:
POE - Regular - Galah
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
Trigger Warning 
Delphine
Delphine had... well, she had figured out what she wanted. She wanted to forget. She dragged the children with her, still debating what she wanted to do with them.

She wasn't sure if she wanted to forget them. Delphine couldn't leave the children at home, though, she didn't trust them to stay in place.  Mostly Acantha.

As she entered the shrine, pulling Bryony and Acantha with her, she chewed her lip softly, pausnng long enough to sit the girls down. Doubting whether she wanted to actually ask. "I don't know who to ask this of, but I would greatly appreciate forgetting. My memories only bring me pain."
Let me make you smile, darling.
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ludo

Braved the forests, braved the stone
Braved the icy winds and fire
Braved and beat them on my own

Like a fly drawn to a spider's web, only one deity will do for this job.

"Your memories... they cause you pain, sweetling?"

Ludo has not visited the Temple shrine since its destruction and revival, not until now. And a woman stands before the shrine, with two unhappy little ones in tow. Nothing else. Not a wink.

"If they are the cause of suffering, then I shall take them from you."

Delphine Mountrose

Age: 30 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine
Delphine was startled, she shouldn't have been, though. She had asked a question, made a request, she should have expected an answer. Her gaze flickered to the children, and she made an uncertain noise.

After a second of staring at the whining children, she nods slowly. She turned to reach for both of the children's hands, to pull them forwards, "You two are going to go on a trip, with my friend..." She realized she had no idea which god had sent an answer to her. Nevertheless, it was for the best.

Bryony, of course, began to cry, while Acantha was more than eager to go to the stranger. Delphine released both children, and Acantha grabbed her sister's hand, urging her forwards. "We're going on a trip! Away from Mama!" The darker-haired child whispered to her sister, clearly thrilled.  

"Where will you take them?" They were her children, as much as she despised them.
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ludo

Ludo does not move, blink, or indicate that it has understood the woman before it. "I spoke of your memories, sweetling. Not your children." It would take her memories from her, is what it had meant.

But Delphine has shown her hand, and its mask tilts between the two girls. "If they are such a nuisance, Mort will gladly take them into his halls. You do not deserve them," he says simply. "What is your decision? Your memories, or your children?"

Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine
Delphine had assumed one thing, and... she studied the children, pursing her lips. At one point in time, she had wanted them, desperately. Her head tilts slightly, as she tries to remember how badly she had wanted children of her own. What it had felt like, without her own child, while the first wife had hers.

She'd stolen a baby, back in those days. From a crazed healer who had simply... asked her to take the child. That child had not stayed, because the woman had regrets, immediately after giving the infant away.

Would I regret this, like that, too?

She hadn't felt loved, when Iris had a child, and she still had none. And if she thought hard enough, she could remember the way she had looked at the twins, when they were just born. Did she really want to hand them away, to death, essentially?

Somewhere along the way, something had gone off track. Probably their aging. After one last moment of long, hard deliberation, "I want... to learn to love them, again. My memories." Delphine sounded certain; after all, she was selfish enough to want another chance.
Spooky Rags

Change author:
ludo

My memories.

That was it, then. Ludo hovers before Delphine, a swathe of rags and a delicate, porcelain mask, and around her - like a light being snuffed out - the two girls crumple. No pomp, no fanfare. Their bodies lay motionless, still, and their souls rise as two bright spheres of light which whirl around the soul guide.

"Then so be it," the deity says. "Learn to love your memories, Delphine Mountrose. And a word of advice, next time..."

Ludo's voice drops, intimate suddenly, as if pressed against the shell of her ear. "Never come to a shrine empty handed."

And then it is gone, the souls vanishing with it, leaving only small bodies behind.

Ludo has taken the souls of Delphine's children.
It has also cursed her for bringing no offering:
Delphine will never forget Bryony or Acantha, or what she did to them. The memories will be forever clear.

Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine
"No... That isn't what I..." Her protest was weak, because it has already been done. Her eyes were fixed on the souls of her daughters, whirling around Ludo.

It spoke to her and gave her advice, but all she could do was stare. Mortified. What have I done? She should have clarified, she shouldn't have brought them... Different thoughts, all attacking herself, came from all directions, shaming her.

Some part of her was relieved, but the majority of her was crushed. Probably under the weight of what she had just done. Ludo and the souls disappear, and Delphine is alone, staring at the lifeless bodies of her children; the two things she had wanted, most in the world, at one point.

She settled between the two bodies, stroking their hair, whispering, "I'm so..." 'Sorry' really wouldn't fix this one. She stayed there, just petting them, telling one of their favorite stories, as she cried.

Because at the moment those souls had left their bodies, she had realized it wasn't what she wanted; it had not been what she meant.

After what felt like a century, the woman moved to lift the lifeless bodies into her arms, like she used to carry the twins when they were smaller. It was harder, carrying both of them, but she was not going to leave them there. It took her longer to make it home with them, but she was determined.

She took them back to their little isolated cave, gathered what she wanted to keep from the cave before she said her goodbyes.

Goodbyes to that home, and to the children.

Delphine has lost her children, but she's learned a valuable lesson. Never trust Ludo. Never come to a shrine without an offering, and always make sure you speak concisely. A lesson she would, absolutely, never forget.

-FIN-