Training it's a little bit funny (open)
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my whole life is mine, but whoever says so will deprive me,
for it is infinite.
Amun's eyes narrowed at Wessex's words. Once again, his jaw tensed as he bit down on his first retort. Instead he took a moment to think, going motionless and silent below her once more.

Except for his eyes, which studied her features. Indeed, his expression was almost contemplative, albeit not in a happy way. Eventually, he propped himself up slightly on his elbows.

When he finally did speak, it came out in a careful tone, and it was clear he was choosing each word specifically. "Have I been derelict in my duties to the Voice, you, or the rest of the Ascended?" The words came out in a low tone, but there was an edge to them despite his best efforts.
by being moved I exert my empire,
making the dreams of night real
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
I've embraced the torch passed to me
owned what I've been called to be
Unsure how he’ll react once he goes silent, she scrutinizes his microexpressions as well until he perches himself up on his elbows. Leaning back to give him room, it isn’t until he poses his question that Wessex removes herself from his lap and sits on the ground beside him, both knees drawn up to her chest, arms clasped casually around them as she leans back. “No,” she replies with a definite shake of her head. “You’ve always been there when I needed you, came when asked, and you led the efforts for the Torchline shrine. Can’t speak for the others, but I’d be surprised if anyone felt differently. Why?”

Has someone said something to the contrary? Having watched previous interactions and heard from her own and various other sources, she has a good sense of his devotion. Still, she stays puzzled. Is he starting to feel like Nate?
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
for it is infinite.
When Wessex finally got off of him, Amun shifted into a sitting position as well. Eyes narrowing at her words, he quickly rolled to his feet. "Just curious whether my attitude was a problem for you or anyone else." Giving her a confused and completely closed off glance, he shrugged. "Why do you care about how I look?" His voice came out quietly, but with the slightest hint of a bitter edge.

Walking over to where he'd dropped his practice sword, he scooped it up. Then he stalked over to the weapons racks. Setting his blade back in its spot, he spun to face her. Crossing his arms, he waited patiently for her to tell him what was on her mind.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
If his attitude weren’t a problem, she wouldn’t be here, she’d have already left by now. Watching coolly from the ground as he stands and puts the practice sword away, Wessex refuses to get up and follow him. It feels like indulging a child in a tantrum, especially when he throws her own concern back at her. Why do so many men here have emotional issues, she can’t help but wonder as she tightly shakes her head in denial of the underlying accusation.

“Don’t try to pull that ’you don’t care about me’ bullshit. I may not be the ‘let me hold you while you cry’ type, but that doesn’t mean I’m blind to you being upset about something, and for quite a while.” Tough love is still love, after all. And she’s learning to be better, lighter, more open, when she needs to be.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
As Wessex spoke, Amun's eyes narrowed. "Exactly." He stabbed a finger forward, not in an accusatory way but merely to underscore his words. "You're not the cry on a shoulder type, so I'm not going to go whining to you about my problems." Voice low, he gave her a hard look.

Then he spread his arms a bit, palms up. His voice held an almost dangerous edge as he spoke. "What do you want me to say? That I'm lonely? That I don't really feel like I fit in with the rest of the Ascended and worse, it feels like we're all drifting apart? That I'm struggling with my place in Caido?" Stalking past her, he added in a mutter, "I didn't want to unload on you. Don't worry, I'm dealing with my shit."
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Because: one - I can listen, even if I’m not good at comforting. And two - I like making plans to solve problems,” she says mildly, now finally choosing to stand up. Brushing dirt off her butt, she turns back as he asks what she wants him to say. And raising a brow, she realizes that however old he may appear to be, he needs the support of someone a lot younger.

And that’s where she’s failed him. Okay. Let's try to shift tactics.

Picking up her own lost practice sword, she starts to walk towards him. “You think you’re the only one who feels that way?” A soft laugh, because she’s not going to try and out ‘woe-is-me’ him, but he clearly had no idea what it was like to lead, to be looked at the way people look at her, to have people repudiate her for her choices, to try and forge a path as the first demigod of the Voice, and figure out what her place in Caido is.

“Open your eyes, Amun. Take a moment and think about who you’re talking to.” A pause, hopeing that he might be able to consider everything he’s said. And if not - “I feel the same way most of the time.” With a sad soft of smile, Wessex shows a little vulnerability. She doesn't have any peers. Her 'sister' is absent, absorbed in being Queen, Bastien, and getting a baby. Her remaining Natural 'family' has told her she's selfish and deserves to die on multiple occasions, and the single remaining person she feels truly comfortable with... shares a bed with Jigano.

If he wants to play the one-up game, she can go there. But really, she'd much rather not.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Shaking his head, Amun just glanced over his shoulder and gave Wessex a flat look. "This isn't a problem you can solve. But thanks for offering." His voice was quiet and low, and he continued to towards the exit.

However, he stopped in his tracks as she went on. For a moment, he stood there, motionless. Then he slowly turned to face her again. Finally, he sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry." He flashed her an apologetic smile, then scrubbed his face as if to get rid of the sorrow lingering there.

Crossing his arms, he pressed his lips together. "Alright, I'll bite. How do you deal with it then?" There was little hope in his tone or his expression that she'd have an actual answer for him.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Aw hell, he called her bluff.

See, the truth is that Wessex doesn’t really deal with all her emotions. She bottles it up until she can let it out with violence, or in quiet bursts of venting, a la a discussion with Delphia. Trying not to look like she’s stalling for time, like she’s coming up with answers on the spot, Wessex shakes her head at the apology. “It’s fine.”

So - how does she do it?

“If I’m perfectly honest, I bottle it up and occasionally explode. Sometimes things are… eased with training or a fight, staying busy, or talking to the Voice. But I’ve been an outsider for a long time and it feels… normal, now?” She shrugs. “It’s probably not what you should aim for.” Taking a step closer, she tries to look vaguely maternal. “But just because I have shitty coping mechanisms doesn’t mean I can’t empathize or hang out in commiseration. We might even be able to come up with something to help the Ascended. And I think you already have a place, it just isn’t obvious yet.”

With an almost sheepish shrug, Wessex pauses, knowing she didn’t really answer the question.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
As Wessex spoke, Amun weirdly found himself relaxing. It did help knowing he wasn't alone, and he gave her a grateful look, knowing she probably would rather be doing literally anything but this. As she finished, though, he sighed.

Expression growing equal parts troubled and thoughtful, he slipped his hands into his pockets. "The thing is, we don't hang out. Not really. No offense." He gave her another apologetic look, though he would stand by his words. "We run into each other at random, we do tasks for the Voice together, we have meetings, but we don't really do normal things. And it's not just you, it's all the Ascended."

Shrugging, he took his hands out of his pockets and spread his arms a bit. "Am I crazy for thinking we should have more gatherings just for fun? To get to know one another, build cohesion, that sort of thing?" He was very much looking for her opinion here as their de facto leader. "Isn't that what families do? Hang out, even if they don't get along?"
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Oh please. None taken.” Waving off whatever offense he thought she might take at pointing out the obvious, Wessex is of the opinion that the only way through this is to get down to the nitty-gritty - the patterns that hold them back. If it were lies it would be different, but in this case, Amun speaks the truth.

Nodding slightly in agreement, she doesn’t hesitate to concede that he has a point. “So I’ve heard,” she says wryly, but with a smile. She knows a lot of the Attuned hang out together, for more than religious reasons, and there’s no reason why a group that theoretically calls themselves ‘a family’ shouldn’t act like one. “You’re right. We should. About you and me and about all of us.” She pauses briefly, an idea sparking. “You got that boat, right? Would you want to… teach us how to sail? Or even just me?”

Wessex can row the shit out of a boat, all it takes is energy; sailing requires skill and the ability to read things like the wind and tie knots and shit. And what could threaten them while on a boat? Besides Ghost Whales.
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun actually grinned at Wessex's comment about the boat. "I would be happy to take you for a cruise." Then his expression grew thoughtful. Rubbing his chin, he finally sighed. "But not everyone is going to want to visit Torchline. For a variety of reasons."

Beginning to pace, he found himself channeling that unsettled feeling into his movements and his plans. "What about something at the Safehouse. Or better yet, the Artist's Sanctuary? I know Bastien and Rexanna don't want to travel too far, and I've been to a party there before. It's pretty fun." He glanced at her, wondering what she'd make of that. "As dumb as it sounds we can do icebreakers and getting to know you games. Heck, even trust exercises if we have to."

Then his expression grew a bit wicked. "And if we have to knock sense into a few heads, well, family's roughhouse too?" He winked at her. "Or so I've heard."
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Why not?” she asks, thinking Torchline a perfectly lovely place to visit, assuming one has the appropriate protective gear. And the boat is special, so any daytime gallivanting would be protected. It isn’t something she’ll fight him on, and as he mentions their erstwhile Queen and her husband, she makes a face. Oh. Right. Them. “Ahhh, right. Okay.”

Icebreakers? She chuckles. “I’m not sure what icebreakers are, but if you think it’ll help - sure. All my bonding has usually be done in… not so pleasant circumstances and you can see how that’s worked out.” Not great. To say the least.

“I plan on doing just that come Flowerbirth. Start training for next Deepfrost.” Like hell she’s going to leave them to their own devices, especially the younger ones. There’s a whole plan developing in her head… a bit of proverbial good cop/bad cop with Amun, maybe. Giving him a more thoughtful look, Wessex nods. “Okay. So that’s an idea to help the Ascended. Now what’s this about your place in Caido?”
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
As Wessex figured out the answer to her own question, Amun nodded. Then his expression grew a little sly. "Still think they're crazy for wanting a kid?" He personally didn't mind, but he was curious to hear her response.

"They're just getting to know you games. Supposed to be fun." Reaching out, he clasped her on the shoulder. "I really do think we can come together again as a family. We just need to work at it, same as anything else that's important."

Smirking at her comment, he rubbed his hands together almost eagerly. "Let me know so I can hold your cloak." She didn't need any help with the actual knocking about part. However, as she went on, he sighed. "It's...I don't know. You and Sam, as much as you might disagree, have your duties to the Voice. Rexanna is queen, and has Bastien, and he has the Artist's Sanctuary. Nate has his clinic and Sunjata."

He spread his hands a bit helplessly. "I've got my studio and my ship, but no one seems particularly interested in either these days." Knowing he was being a bit stupid about all this, he just shook his head.
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
He knows very well what her answer will be, so Wessex mock-scowls at Amun before nodding. “Yes. Rexanna knew the deal when she Ascended. I don’t begrudge her happiness, but there are plenty of Natural orphans who need help. If they’d wanted a child, perhaps they could have done something to help the people she’s supposed to rule - and us - instead of gambling with her strength” And it had probably factored into the whole ‘fight the monsters next year’ thing. Ugh.

She does understand, and nods. “Lead the way, I’ll do what I can.” They both know it’s best if Amun does the thing, he’s far more charismatic than her and probably has the affection of the others in a way she doesn’t.

“Well… what would you like to do?” Talking about how she’s been thrust into a role won’t help this. Better to see if they can find the beginnings of a plan based on the ‘where do you see yourself in five years?’ kind of questions.

{this is shit and I\'m sorry}
full tilt,
hello destiny
WESSEX