Diamond in the rough (open)
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 14 - Int:
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
don't you know there's a part of me
There was absolutely a difference in the type of fur. Nodding, Delta responds with her own comment. "And even when creatures have fur, if they are in the sea, it's not the same. It's course and kinda oily feeling." While she had very little experience with such creatures, she did understand that aquatic fluffy animals had special fur for such circumstances. "Can lions not swim? How odd... how big are lions?" That was a peculiar comment, but Delta didn't let the water barrier get in her way. Surely they could just shove the maned creature on a boat and then she could pet it... or not shove. Ask him kindly? Yes, that.

Shifting conversations, Delta and Jigano were rather successful in their combined efforts. Pulling out the shell, she grinned at the snake and look down at the water. "It's down here. It's kind of... wrapped around the item and the rocks." As she spoke, she reached down into the water and started to scrape at the net. It was all knotted up and bunch together at certain parts. Eventually, she managed to break off one part, which she bundled up and placed among the rocks. "I'll try to find a place to put that later so it doesn't wind up getting stuck again." And off she went, pulling at the net and cutting some more. Eventually, she managed to pull out as much as she could. "The rest is... stuck between the object and the rocks. But it's also kinda jammed in. What do you think I should do?" The handle could be moved a bit more than before, but it still pretty jammed.
that longs to go into the unknown
delta
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Jigano listened and learned as Delta described the mammals of the sea and their different fur, intrigued and curious. I'd like to see one of them, too, he agreed, wondering if they could somehow manage a creature-exchange. Temporarily, of course, so the poor beasties could go back to their proper habitats afterwards. What kind of furred creatures live in the sea?

Her question on lions had him pausing and he swayed uncertainly in the waves for a moment as he thought. The lions of my world's plains didn't swim often. I don't think they liked it. Many cats don't like water very much, and lions are great big cats. As big as... hmm. It was hard to make comparisons when Delta seemed to know so little of land and he knew so little of the sea. Their heads reach about halfway up a standing human when they're on all fours. And they weight about twice as much as a human man, all muscle.

Jigano followed her down with his serpentine head, peering from a safe distance from her spines as she worked to cut the net free. Once in a while he would go up for air, but the python could hold his breath far longer than a human and mostly he just watched and pondered the object's entrapment, trying to stay out of Delta's way. Hmmm. I'm not strong enough to break the rocks, and it's not like we can grease something underwater, he mused. Can we use the remnants of the net that are still wrapped around it to try and pull the thing loose? Bracing against the rocks to get more leverage? Or should we try and dig more of the sand beneath away first? She knew more about retrieving items from the sea than he did, so he wasn't sure which would work better. The stone in his mouth was taking on a decidedly salty tang, too, making him thirsty as he spoke through it on the Attuned bond.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Oooo. Now this snake was talking her language! "Well... I don't seem them often, but we have these things called otters! And they are like... long cats? I haven't seen a cat up close, but I think they look like a cat. Super long and they have short legs and sharp teeth. And they swim!" What a beautiful description of a otter, great job Delta!

And oh- oh. The news brought to her is a real shame. She knew that small cats don't like water, but big cats too? That's super unfortunate. "What does their fur feel like? And they have claws too, yeah? I know they don't like water... but can they still swim?" Surely all animals know how to swim to some extent, right? Otherwise.... how the fuck haven't all the lions just died.

All of the suggestions on how to pry out the object were good ones and she nodded as the snake spoke with her. "Maybe... yeah. Those all sound good. I think I have an idea." It was going to be a combination of what he said. "Could you find me a loose rock? It needs to be stronger than a shell. I think I'm going to push it against the object to try and loosen it out. Dig it into the base." It was an idea and hopefully it'd work out in the end.
delta
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
I know otters, Jigano perked up, fondness in his mental tone. My friend has an otter Attuned shift. They're very cute. I've not tried to pet her before in that form though. A pulse of rueful amusement filled the bond for a moment at the awkwardness of that thought. Petting Attuned when they were shifted was always a little questionable unless you knew the person well.

I've never petted a lion, either, he admitted, this time with a bubbling laugh. I'd probably lose an arm if I tried. He and Remi might have found a comfortably neutral footing to interact on, but they had never been close enough for any casual touching, shifted or otherwise. I think it's rougher than a housecat's fur, though. And yes, big claws, that they can retract into their paws or push out to grab their prey with. I... don't know if they can swim. I think so? He was uncertain on the last bit, but it would make sense. From what he knew of his world they needed to cross rivers in their hunting grounds, at least, but he'd never seen it in person.

He bobbed gently in the water with the wave action current, listening to Delta's ideas intently, and giving a larger dip of his head in agreement at the merfolk's idea. I'll see what I can find, he promised, plunging deeper into the water and shifting his coils down the rock until he was completely submerged but still anchored so he could nose along the sea floor without getting dragged away by the tide.

He stayed near the rock formation both out of necessity and in hopes that a loose rock had been knocked loose from it that would suit Delta's purpose. His flat snout made an excellent shovel as he tested several different chunks of rock - too small, too big, and too square, respectively - until he found one that was promising. It was half-buried, its shape uncertain, but when he pushed his head underneath it and lifted it revealed itself as wedge-shaped and small enough for the mermaid to get her hands around while being large enough to be sturdy. Delta, over here, he called, doing his best to throw a curve of his body around it and drag it back towards the trapped handle.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Jigano has an otter friend?! "Do tell her that I'd love to meet her! She can send a message for me- or I also just come here often." Delta really wanted to meet this otter- or attuned individual who could turn into an otter. Otters were just so cool and sleek and she'd love to be an otter but, alas, it seems that no merfolk are capable of achieving such shifts. There was no record of there ever being a merperson with an animal capable of climbing onto land.

His explanation of a lion was able to soothe any sort of ill emotions that Delta was experiencing. "Fantastic! And those claws sound amazing. I'll have to try and see one someday." Absolutely, then she could ask even more questions! But for now, they needed to get to business.

The snake was a satisfactory explorer- er- searcher? Whatever the term was, he was amazing at it. Swimming on over, she plucked up the rock that the snake had gestured to and offered him a smile and a nod. It's perfect, thank you. The message is sent in a way that will hopefully ensure that the snake can hear her.

Swimming back on over to the object, she offers the snake a nod before getting to work. The rock is placed at the base of the handle and she works towards prying it out. Finally, the handle seems to move and a grin manifests itself on her face. With a bit more prying she feels it shift even more. Pulling back the rock, she finally tries to lift it back out and succeeds! Only to see...

a fancy butter knife.

Lifting it out of the water, she tilts her head. "Are most knives this dull?" The concept of a butter knife is unfamiliar. Clearly, someone had a lot of money and wanted to show off by getting a fancy dull knife, but Delta had no idea what such a knife could be used for.
delta
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
I will. I think she'd like to meet you, too. Her name is Amalia. He thought that she would, in fact, be very eager to meet this nice young woman of a new species - a new world, really, given how different things seemed to be underwater. Amalia was as curious as he was, and he hoped that she'd find the merfolk as interesting as he did.

Not many lions came to the sea, he suspected, but you never knew where an Attuned might show up, and they weren't limited to certain hunting grounds and climates. It was something to worry about another day; instead he made his way through the sand seeking a stone for a mermaid - a situation he never would have expected to find himself in. At least he was successful in his mission and he sent a pulse of contented teamwork through the Attuned bond as he rose to the surface to get another full breath of air before diving again. It wasn't easy to force his body down when his long lungs made him buoyant, but he leveraged his grip on the rocks to make it happen so he could see what Delta was doing with the rock.

Success!

... more or less. The prize was less exciting than he'd hoped, but he rose back up to float on the surface, amused at the treasure and trying not to chuckle at Delta's question - he didn't want to get seawater up his nose, and she would have no way of knowing about human flatware, he assumed. She was being curious, something he wanted to encourage.

Let me see... He floated closer to inspect the knife, his tongue flicking out past the jewel in his mouth to taste the saltwater on it. It's a knife used for eating certain foods, he tried to explain. Some knives are used for fighting, and others for cutting meat, and those are very sharp. But this is a knife used for spreading a thick kind of... hmm. A kind of very thick cream, or a creamy paste made from thickened milk on bread or other foods. It doesn't need to be sharp because what it 'cuts' is so soft, and the dull edge is better for spreading that sort of paste more evenly and thickly. A sharp knife would spread it too thin. Jigano pulled away so as not to stray too close to Delta's spines accidentally.

Do merfolk use knives to hunt or fight or eat? She wasn't the only curious soul in the sea at the moment, after all.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Amalia, such a beautiful name! "Do tell her about me! She has such a lovely name." The last comment was very odd, but she did have to throw it in there, even if it probably made zero sense.

The snake crept closer so to get a better look at the blade and what he had to say was certainly... shocking. Wide eyes inspected the blade and she shook her head slightly, her lips frowning ever so slightly in complete confusion. "How odd... an item made for doing such a unique task." Many tools she had come across were used for multiple purposes. A blade could be used for defense, offense, preparing foods, and cutting things normally. This blade only seemed to have one real purpose. "Is it often that humans have this sort of knife? I've never seen something like it in the ocean." It could always be that those with such a tool typically wouldn't lose it, which was understandable, but Delta did want her question to be answered to fully understand such an object.

It was nice to see a sense of curiosity from Jigano, even though the question wasn't exactly the most impressive one. "Of course we do. Knives are very useful. You can use them to fight, defend yourself, make and prepare food and other stuff like that. We can also use things like spears and other weaponry like it." From what Delta could tell, merfolk used weapons in a very similar fashion to the humans on land, but this was all from her own perceptions and assumptions.
delta
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The snake made a mental note to let Amalia know about this enchanting encounter though with timelines and thread schedules who knew when he'd get the chance and bobbed his head in agreement.

Delta's wonder and confusion were understandable, and amused agreement bubbled through the Attuned link at the item being odd. He hadn't really thought about it before, but her perspective made him re-evaluate something he'd always taken for granted. They're pretty common, yes. More with the rich who can afford more fancy fripperies, but all but the poorest have probably seen one, at least. He wasn't sure how common they were among Torchliners, but he guessed based on what he knew of Grounders. Perhaps this one fell from a ship carrying a rich merchant? He might have suggested a noble had dropped it, but so far he hadn't found any who really fell into that class on Caido.

Apologiesss, he hissed with a bob of his arrow-shaped head. I don't know what we have in common and what we don't, but it sounds like we use knives and spears in the same ways. What sorts of things do you eat? Fish, he assumed - but assumptions could be wrong, and he had no idea what other things were in the ocean that merfolk might hunt or farm or gather.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
A light 'hmm' leaves her mouth as she runs a finger along the blade where normally, it'd cut into your skin. In this case, it was smooth and perfect for smearing on things. "Yes... perhaps it did fall off a ship. People lose things a lot, often when drunk... sometimes in shipwrecks as well." The idea was certainly plausible, but Delta couldn't confirm it for sure, not unless said rich merchant identified it as theirs.

Then an idea dawned on her. "You know... it's kind of like... a paint brush? I've seen them, they don't fall into the ocean often, of course. Sticks with fluff at the end intended on smearing paint... and this does just that, but instead of paint it's food." She's pretty damn proud of herself for making such an observation and she turns her attention towards Jigano, eager to see if such a hypothesis held any truth.

There is a light shake of her head. "No need to apologize, I'm not offended nor mad." It might've seemed like it, but Delta was more amused than anything else. Nothing was taken too deeply and Delta wasn't bothered by the assumption, not in the slightest. It's often that people make assumptions and so long as they aren't treated as lesser, she is fine with it. The moment someone treats her like she's a 'dumb fish' is the moment where the true anger comes out. "We eat the usual. Fish, seaweed, kelp, clams, and you know, other things like that." There is a light shrug. "All of our meat is raw, which I know is way different from how humans consume it." She did want to try this cooked meat someday.
delta
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The snake couldn't hum agreement, but a sense of it passed through the Attuned bond as his head bobbed in the water. Shipwrecks, sunken treasures... he'd read enough fanciful tales of such things, as much as an inland boy could imagine them. Back then he had imagined a vast and salty lake... The reality was so much different, and so much more than his young mind could ever have pictured from books alone.

The comparison to a paint brush might have brought a chuckle of delighted agreement from the bard, but all that emerged were bubbles from his reptilian nose as bright eyes twinkled at the young merlady. You're right! Food can be a kind of art, too, he agreed wholeheartedly. He loved Amalia's baking for just that reason: the artistry of flavors, warmth, love, and presentation, all without even a hint of Abandoned magic in the mix. But your paintbrush analogy is even closer than that. Some artists use a tool called a palette knife - a knife that looks a little like that one - to scrape paint over canvas to make pictures, too. Not exactly like a butter knife, but not too far off from it.

Jigano was relieved that his hostess of the sea didn't mind his mistakes, and he sent a pulse of gratitude through the bond. You can eat kelp and seaweed? Fish and clams he'd seen for sale in the Port, but he hadn't realized the greenery of the sea was edible, too. He'd assumed it was like giant grass... edible to some animals, but not particularly tasty to people - humans, merfolk, or Fae. The mention of raw meat, though, earned a chuckle. Oh, many Attuned eat it raw, too, if they have a predator shift. The land my ancestors were from often ate fish raw, as well, I remember my mother telling me. But cooking does change the flavor of it. What do you use for seasonings and spices underwater? Perhaps a trade of culinary arts could be arranged?
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
The bubbles caused her eyes to widen. "Oh! Do you want me to put you in a better spot?" Then she formally addressed the comment that was made about the food. "Really? Wow... I don't see artists as often, which is a real shame. The ocean is so beautiful! They should really paint it some more." There was a smile and a nod, both satisfied with the fact that she was given some praise but also due to the image of an artist using such tools. It was kind of silly, but also so... human!

A grin forms on her lips and she finds herself giggling. "Of course you can eat kelp. Humans eat fruits and stuff, right? It's no different." It's so amusing to her that the kelp part is what made the snake act so surprised. Then again, Jigano did go on to explain that eating raw meat really wasn't all that rare of a thing. "We just, you know, use things. It's hard to really explain. There's minerals and stuff that can add flavor. Oooo, there's this thing where you take fish and you cut off the part without bones and then you wrap it in sea weed. It's so good." Delta found herself super craving that because damn was that stuff good!

Tilting her head to the side, Delta thought for a moment. "Do... do you think I'd be able to eat human food? I mean... I really want to try a couple of things. People don't just throw apples into the water, so it isn't exactly a thing I get to really try." Apples was a funny word, same with bananas. Bananananaa. There's a reason why those were the fruits she could easily remember. "Actually.... could you show me what you look like? You know, not as a snake." That way if the snake ever brought her anything, she'd know what to look for.
delta
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Only if there's someplace that's as comfortable for you, too, he demurred to her offer. The rocks weren't the most comfortable, but he was well-anchored now, and there was no reason to change if Delta was happy here. If it's any consolation, I think humans do paint the ocean a lot. At sunset and sunrise, storm and noon light... but they usually hang such paintings in their houses to admire, so you might not see them very often here. Or at least not for long. He didn't think that painted canvas would survive underwater without the paint washing swiftly away.

He was glad he could make her laugh, the python bobbing its head in understanding when she compared kelp to fruit. Or maybe spinach or cabbage was more appropriate? Now that she had him thinking it through, his words did seem rather silly. I suppose you don't really need to salt things, he agreed with another bubbly chuckle, tasting the salt on the jewel in his mouth as he spoke through it. That sounds like a fish sandwich, with seaweed in place of bread. It does sound good right now. He could almost hear his stomach rumbling - all several meters of it!

I think you should be able to? We can both eat fish, at least, so it makes sense that we could both eat other things, he reasoned. Though maybe only take small bites of things from land at first... just in case. He wouldn't want her getting hurt due to her curiosity.

Speaking of curiosity, her question brought a rueful flicker of apology through the link. I'm not a strong enough swimmer to turn back here, he apologized. And I think my human skin would be more in danger from your barbs. But I have skin the color of wet golden sand, and long white hair. His tongue flicked again against the jewel, but an idea came to him and he perked up. Can I come visit you again after LongNight? I can borrow a boat and meet you out on the ocean, and I can bring fruit and bread and cooked meat for you to try, if you'd like? He couldn't wink as a snake, but he almost seemed to smile in spite of his lack of lips. And you can bring me some of that seaweed-wrapped fish and other merfolk food, and we can do a trade of tastes from land and sea?
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
There's a light shrug. "So long as my tail is covered, I'm fine.... and I also need to be able to get back to the water fast." Those were some major stipulations, but they were also crucial to her survival. Otherwise, she really didn't care about where they sat and was far more interested in the snake being comfortable.

His comment earned a thoughtful hum. "Maybe... maybe an artist can show it to me before they take it away... I'd like to see that a lot." The comment was mostly her thinking out loud, but maybe Jigano knew a painter and could help her out seeing as he knew of an otter and a lion (or a once lion).

A fish sandwich? "Well... yes, I do think that's what it's like. Sandwich is the two bread and things between, right? It is good though, you'd maybe like it." She offers him a smile and a nod, almost offering to give him one. Almost.

His care was obvious and made her smile. "Aw, well, okay. A few bites at first, I wont eat too much because I'd hate to get sick." Then his offer only really sweetened the deal. While she was sad that she couldn't see how he looked as a human, the offer was just as good. "That'd be fantastic! We'd have to arrange a day, but I can absolutely bring you some of our delicacies!" Oh how exciting! "After LongNight come find me, okay? You can reach me through the bond if we're close enough or just send a message for me." This really was exciting! She so wished they could do it soon, but understood why they may have to wait for after LongNight.
delta
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The rocks are fine for now, then, he assured her. Let me just... reposition a bit... He curled around the wet stone again, inching his way higher until he was atop the stone he'd been anchored on, coiled up and out of the water. The waves still sent cooling spray over his scales, but the sun beat down warmly on him and soothed his reptilian heart with its heat.

Jigano gave a slow serpent's nod of agreement to her suggestion of the painting and painter. There is an artist in the Hollowed Grounds who might be willing. I don't know him well, but I can suggest it to him when I see him again. Bastien is his name, but we don't see each other often, he admitted apologetically. The Artist's Guild head had been looking rather under the weather lately, and the Provost was hesitant to approach his fellow guildmaster until after the stresses of LongNight were past.

Fish sandwiches, ahoy, it sounded like - or, maybe someday, at least. A trade of fish sandwiches between land and sea; one wrapped in kelp and the other in bread. Maybe fried? He made some mental notes of different things to bring her when they met again. I'll borrow a boat and try to reach you, he agreed not yet knowing that he had a more ocean-friendly form in his future. Or is there a better way to send you a message? The ocean was a big place, and he wasn't confident about his ability to find one merperson in all of its vastness unless he got extraordinarily lucky... which happened on Caido quite a lot, actually. Maybe he just needed to trust in the gods. You can make a list of things you want to try and give it to me then, and I can see how many I can find to put in the boat to bring you. He knew a lot less about merfolk than she knew about humans, though. It will be a picnic!

And it was so nice to think about having something to look forward to after LongNight that would be fun and bright, beyond the inevitable funerals and mourning the dark week would bring.