Personal Quest with the smoking sun
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
remember that you can't save everyone
remember that you have to try
Neither the Reaper nor the Sword had ever been one for excuses. No matter the situation, there was a call to action, to doing, to thinking, rather than petulance, ignorance, or wailing. These, even amidst the miniscule foundations, were the moments that broke apart the weak, or allowed the willful, the enduring, to find a way. Mistakes could be made (it was how they learned, how they grew, how they achieved), but fumbling, whimpering, and yowling over circumstances they’d volunteered themselves for, was far and away an irritation in the back of the General’s mind.

Perhaps it was a good thing he hadn’t heard Freina’s.

At least, amidst all that prior contemplation, she had an idea. The water surged and yielded to her ministrations, pushed and shoved against until it arced, over both her and Oliver’s heads. “Good,” he praised, a nod of certainty extended towards her.

Which was probably just as well, since the blacksmith missed yet again.

The growl pierced towards him however, would not go unanswered. He’d assisted the youth many times, and no matter the circumstances, grumbling and sniveling seemed to follow. His jaw clenched, eyes narrowed, and a deep insinuation of his disappointment ranged across the field. “Are you going to whine at every challenge you face?” Did Oliver listen, or did he merely wander in his wallows, hoping someone would rescue him? Was thinking for himself so difficult, that the instant no one told him what to do, he sunk into yowls? This task was so minuscule, so trivial, in the pursuit of other ventures, disasters, and demolition. He would’ve been one of the individuals the Reaper left to fend for himself; out amidst the perils of the world, to either sink or swim, to rot and decay.

But here he couldn’t, and some portion of that vexed too. “These indecisive moments are when others perish.” One of these days the moaning, the griping, the incapability of actual thought was going to get someone killed.

Another lingering stare, a penetrating, fierce malevolence brooding and brewing underneath, fixtured and fixated on the other man. It was a finality, a configuration of ice and rime; uncertain if it would even simmer into the boy’s brain. How many times had he tried before, to no avail? Then why was he even here, if he only stood there to complain?

Eventually, he breathed a sharp inhale, funneled away and suppressed the grinding rage, focusing his attentions on Rance and Aisha. At the very least they had pressed into what he’d asked, configuring and applying notions, conduct, and possibilities amongst and amidst themselves. Why not use their Attuned natures to contort parameters already at their disposal? He watched, the birds still aiming, still closing in, Aisha remaining a target, while Rance locked in on the ones within reach, a lure, a trap. “Very clever,” he announced. Talons and claws didn’t hit their marks, perhaps he’d mistakenly snagged at swift raptors, but they’d tried.

Thereafter – he sent the birds away – and they scattered off into directions from whence they’d come, and the rush of water incantations segmented back into his palms. “Take a break, while I ready the next round.” Beverages would be available over to the side, or a chance for them to sink into the ground, catch their breaths, relay their efforts, as he paced and drew out lines in the snow. Between his hands, he concocted two flags, one in red fabric, the other in blue, and marked them upon opposite ends of the snowy field.

When they’d recovered, he drew before them again, proclaiming their next efforts. “I thought we might attempt a Capture the Flag game, to demonstrate either your magical or Attuned abilities.” His hands motioned towards the lines, Attuned towards the blue, incantation users to the red. “Strategize together, and think of the best way to snag the opponent’s flag.” A militant tactic, rudimentary but effective, to see what they could handle.

Deimos waited until they collaborated, before signaling they could begin.

--

Oliver, Rance, and Aisha all missed, but Freina had great success!

The next round is Capture the Flag. Discuss a strategy with your teammate, and then try your hand! Please indicate who you’re going after, so I can inform the other writers of rolls.

No post order! Let the chaos reign!
out for vengeance
DEIMOS
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
Oliver
Oliver winces at Deimos' voice and turns his head to the side, focusing far more on the water. "No... sorry." He wasn't about to argue with Deimos and also, this would be the worst person to become enemies with. Still, he didn't understand what the hell Deimos expected him to do. His illusions wouldn't do shit nor would his creation. As well, his telekinesis did fuck all and when he tried to use his earth magic, it did nothing! So what the fuck Deimos? What the fuck else would he do? Of course, he couldn't dare ask him for any help. The man didn't even give him any advice once the water was vanquished by the deer in headlights girl. Instead, they were told to take a break.

Oliver knew he was useless in terms of magic and he didn't need Deimos reminding him of it. There was no fixing the relationship he had now obliterated. Deimos was wrong, though. Others wouldn't die because there were more important magic users constantly available, rather, he'd be the one dead on the ground and did that really matter anymore?

Walking off to where he could be alone, he took a few deep breaths. Great. He might as well fucking leave at this point. Why did he even try to use his magic? Clearly he was useless with it. Only thing he was good for was picking shit up from high shelves.

Their new task seemed simple enough and so, Oliver walked way off to the distance. Once the other girl joined him, he'd speak in a low whisper. "I can pick it up using my telekinesis if you'll be a lookout. Unless you have ideas of your own."

Oliver suggests to his teammate that he just use tele to pick it up. Offers her to be a lookout.
My heart beating, my soul breathing,
I found my life when I laid it down,
Upward falling, spirit soaring
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Mercedes Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
cut me open and let all the ink run from these veins, until my words bleed dry, and only blank pages remain
There was no catching the birds, no predicting which one would dive next, not with the flock constantly swirling around them. Rance did his best, but the situation was outside his experience entirely. It was blatantly obvious he'd never thought of using his raven form as a weapon. Which, really, was the entire reason he'd come when he saw the notice. Caido was nothing like the forest he'd grown up in and he needed the fucking adapt.

The dismissal of their attackers and the break were equally welcome. Rance landed near where the drinks had been placed and shook out his feathers. Rather than changing back into a human, he bent his head around and began preening back the feathers their attackers had ruffled out of place. The song birds in the mix had done more damage to him than the raptors. Song birds. He might have been a little embarrassed by his performance (or lack there of) if Deimos hadn't shown some approval of their attempt.

The next task was a game he was at least familiar with. What group of village children hadn't played some variation of capture the flag? He turned his attention to Aisha, head crooked, feeling a lot less annoyed now that they'd been through the same disaster. I can fly a hell of a lot faster than they can run, and I'm pretty fuckin' maneuverable in the air, but I got no idea what magic they might try on us. He looked toward their temporary opponents, then at the red flag. I can dive for the flag if you play defense. Or distraction, you're a hell of a lot scarier than I am. No shame in acknowledging the more dangerous predator.

Rance suggests he go for the red flag from above while Aisha defends/distracts. If Aisha agrees to at least the first part, he'll fly up and attempt to avoid both mages while snatching the flag.
RANCE
Aisha Khai
Swordmaster / Deepfrost Shield / Guildmaster

Age: 28 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chachy Offline
Change author:
MP: 1615
people piss you off, some you say you love
While Aisha and her companion weren't successful in catching or disabling any of the birds, their plan worked well enough to protect each other. Sometimes, especially in a real battle, that's all one could hope for. In this case, it only served to piss her off further, and by the time Deimos called off his feather minions, her tails was flicking dangerously, lip curling.

Take a break, Aisha was just fine with that, flopping onto her chest and kneading her paws into the ground. Tail still flicking, mouth open in a soft pant, she glanced around to see the others. Rance had gone to preen, Oliver bore an image of irritation she surely related to. It seemed this training was more difficult than they'd all expected. After a couple more moments to relax, she felt her frustration stemming, and excitement for the next chorus replaced it.

A game of capture the flag, Aisha liked the sound of that. And to test her abilities as a shifter against those with magic, something she hadn't yet done but was ready to try. Team blue it was, though she favored red and gave only a slight snort at the decision, she stood and padded to her side. Rance turned to her, this time unleashing his plan before she could. Usually one to take charge, she opted to do as he said, just to see how it turned out.

"Sounds good, you go for the flag, I'll stay back and guard," she agreed, falling into a predators pace in front of the blue pennant.

Aisha agrees to Rance's plan, and stays on their side of the field guarding their flag.
AISHA

Age: 23 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 6 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Socks Offline
Change author:
She was honestly surprised that'd worked as well as it had. Guess I am getting better at this! She was glad of the break though.

She wanted to tell her partner it wasn't nice of the general to snap at him, but then she thought back to her own training. He'd never really yelled at her like that, so there must be something more going on between her fellow magic-user and the general. She decided she'd rather stay out of it.

When he presented her with the plan, she nodded. "That sounds good, but be careful. Rance can turn into a bird. He might try to snatch it back from you," she said to him quietly.

She took up position by their flag and waited.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
This hadn’t been on just one occasion, and Oliver should’ve been aware of it. The notions continued to brim and brew and build over a series of obstacles, occasions, and events. Because the man didn’t listen. Because the Sword gave him advice and it seemed to go nowhere. Because once something became even the least bit hard, tough, or went awry, the youth shut down. Because that was a risk to anyone and everyone involved in disasters. It was irritating, irksome, and sometimes, lethal, dangerous. I will speak to you when we are done here he segmented through the Attuned bond towards the blacksmith; carefully neutral. Why did Oliver bother to come to training session after training session, if they weren’t going to utilize anything Deimos had instructed or taught?

A sigh rumbled through, and he turned his attention to the game afoot – watching, witnessing, the way they moved, plotted, and schemed. Oliver managed to pick up the flag with his incantations, holding it aloft, while Freina remained poised, standing guard, ready for them.

Rance and Aisha, however, had yet to truly embrace fortune. Rance’s tactics were clever, and he’d have the advantage of flight, quick diving maneuvers, and talons to snag at the opposing team’s flag. So the General watched as the raven soared, and due to Freina’s watchful eye, missed the target completely.

And sailed into the ground.

The beast thought about making the task more difficult, but perhaps he’d save it for a bit, to see how the Attuned got themselves out of the current mess.

--

Oliver has lifted their flag, and Freina has been a worthwhile guard, ensuring Rance can’t get their flag. While Aisha stays as the guard on the Attuned side, Rance has unfortunately crashed and burned into the ground.

What will you do next? No post order!
out for vengeance
DEIMOS
Aisha Khai

Age: 28 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Aisha saw quickly where her mistake had been. Guarding the flag didn't require staying back and keeping the other team from getting it. They were magic users, Oliver had telekinetic powers, he had no reason to rush her when he could simply lift the flag. Her tactics would have to change, and apparently so would Rance's, as out of the corner of her eye she watched the raven tumble to the ground.

Aisha growled her frustration, before barking an order. Time to take the reins again, "Keep going for the flag, leave Oliver to me," and with that and a tense curl of her tail she launched off across the grounds towards the blacksmith. If she could knock him off balance and hopefully have him lose his focus, he wouldn't be able to carry that flag back, it would drop back where he'd lifted it.

Hopefully. The leopard rushed forwards as though she was going to tackle him from the front, but feinted to the right at the last moment to swipe at his legs, claws sheathed and meaning no more damage than a fall. Maybe to knock the wind out of him were she lucky.

Aisha leaves the flag and rushes Oliver, swiping at his leg in an attempt to knock him to the ground. Trying to make him lose focus on carrying the flag.
AISHA
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
Oliver
What Deimos said was understood and honestly, Oliver really really wasn't excited about this promised chat. He offered the man a nod to show that he understood, seeing as he couldn't communicate through the bond in this form. For now, the main thing was to focus on the new task at hand and hopefully make up for the accident from before.

The flag came swiftly to him once he ran close enough to grab it with his telekinesis. Unfortunately, that also meant that the others were now aware of what he did. Clutching the flag, Oliver took off in a sprint. Glancing over his shoulder briefly, he tried to get a good look at Aisha before unleashing his magic. Hopefully, if all goes to plan, he would use a combination of his earth magic and his telekinesis to fling Aisha away using rocks. It wouldn't be used to smother her or cover her, simply to knock her to the side.

Oliver tries to use a combination of Earth magic and Telekinesis to ram rock into Aisha's side and push her away.
My heart beating, my soul breathing,
I found my life when I laid it down,
Upward falling, spirit soaring

Age: 23 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
She watched as Rance was coming in, readying herself to cast. She'd have to wait until he got in close... But her magic turned out to be unnecessary: the raven sailed over her and went straight into the ground for some unknown reason.

She forgot all about the game, the flag, and any semblance of guarding. Rance had helped her, had offered her help when he didn't know her, even! And at a time she'd sorely needed it. Even if he hadn't done any of that, her concern couldn't be quelled.

She ran over to Rance and dropped to her knees next to him. "Are you okay, Rance?" She'd do her best to help him right himself. She knew he couldn't talk as a raven, but nods and shakes were pretty universal "yes"s and "no"s.

She didn't even glance at her team's flag. A training game wasn't as important as someone's well-being.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
cut me open and let all the ink run from these veins, until my words bleed dry, and only blank pages remain
Maybe something caught him by surprise out of the corner of his eye? Maybe a stray bird, still frazzled by Deimos's compelling winged him? Maybe Freina's magic escaped unbeknownst to her and bumped against him just right? Whatever the reason, Rance missed the flag entirely, tumbling out of the air with a surprised cronk to go along with his undignified landing. At the last second, he shifted back into human form, rolling across the frozen ground in a body that could take a bit more damage.

He cursing under his breath and rolling to his knees when Aisha's order snapped across the attuned bond. At the same time, Freina was crouching by him, concern open on her kind face. In almost any other situation, he would have been grateful for it. Here and now, though.... "I'm fine," he all but snapped, frustrated with embarrassing accident. His gaze shot quickly to Oliver and Aisha across the training area, the unguarded flag, then up to Freina. He flashed a grin. "Thanks!"

In a snap he was a raven again, hopping back into the air and swooping around the too helpful young woman, talons outstretched to snag at the flag again.

Rance uses the opening of Freina's distraction to zoom for the red flag again, this time from a lower angle instead of from above!
RANCE
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Now things were beginning to get very interesting; and he watched with some sort of prideful intonations as the games were amplified, eager to see where they’d been clever, where they’d been scattered, where they’d been overthrown by fortune or tactics, finally honing in on collaboration.

The Attuned came back with a vengeance – for while Oliver successfully pulled the flag along with his powers, shoving at the leopard, getting closer and closer to the magic users’ side, Aisha’s strength, weight, and brawn came into full force. She tackled the blacksmith to the ground, ensuring he wouldn’t be moving any further this round.

Freina, completely distracted by Rance’s failed flight, meant she left herself, and her flag wide open for the taking. Rance must’ve seen it, must’ve noticed, must’ve sensed his opportunity, talons swooping in to take the flag.

"Now are the crucial moments," he warned, he presided, enjoying the spectacle before him, a distant contortion. "Both flags have been taken." It would be a race to the finish, to victory. "How are you going to get them back?" How were they going to stop one another?

--

Oliver shoved at Aisha with rock and earth, however Aisha rolled a critical hit and knocked him to the ground!

Freina failed to protect their flag, and Rance has snatched it up!

What will you do next?

No post order!
out for vengeance
DEIMOS
Aisha Khai

Change author:
Oliver's attempt to throw her off course was in vain, Aisha barreled past, pressing on past the shove he gave and hitting her mark. A surge of satisfaction coursed through her as he thudded to the ground, her tail curling and flexing in her vengeance. Wasting no time she dove for the blue flag he'd attempted to take, hoping to close her fangs around it and run back to the end of their side and away from his clutches.

She didn't dare glance to see how her teammate was doing, but she barked down their bond, "Book it for our side!" and prayed he'd claimed their prize.

Aisha goes for her team's flag in an attempt to bring it back to it's original place while Oliver is down. If successful, she also doesn't put it down, but keeps it in her mouth.
AISHA
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
Grabbing the flag with Freina so distracted was easy. He beat his wings, the weight of the flag and its stake heavier and more awkward than he'd expected. But the prize was still his and he lifted it up, well out of the reach of human hands, as he pushed forward as fast as he could. Whether he'd have the balance to keep it would be entirely up to his opponents. The fight wasn't over until one flag was on the other side, after all. I know! You keep doin' your fuckin' job, I've got mine!

Booking it has commenced! Rance is out of easy reach and flying as fast as his wings can carry him to the blue side!
RANCE

Change author:
Freina sighed and rolled her eyes as she stood back up. She supposed that, technically, this did prove that he was okay, which had been her question. Asked and answered, she thought to herself.

But that didn't mean she was going to let him get away with it. She held out her hand and tried to summon a wind to blow Rance - and their flag - back towards her.