[se] a break in the weather
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
zephyr

"Smugglin'? In Torchline? Where'd ya hear a crazy thing like that?" Wry amusement permeates the mock-innocence of your voice; if you were a younger, more forward man, you might have batted your lashes at her in surprise. As it is you shake your head, glancing sidelong at her with a raised brow. "Ah, but I'm a humble dockworker, an' yer a humble traveler, an' neither of us has anythin' more excitin' than that goin' on- isn't that so?"

Her assessment of the other lands (my kind stands out distinctly, making you think of Sam but you don't say anything because what are timelines) does little more than reaffirm your staunch belief that there is no place like home. The comment about people with wings does make you snort: "I met one'uv 'em. Right little shit, but to the point."

The Fingers and the Maw, eh? "In'nerestin' topics. What, you some kinda monster hunter?" You're reluctant to give away any information about the Fingers (and more reluctant to admit you have no idea what haunts your beloved tunnel system), but the Maw is another story. "Legends say sommat big lives in the deep. Mers might know more. I ain't seen it myself, but that don't mean it ain't there."
give your heart to a wanderer
who found your soul and called it home
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
Isn’t that so? Feigning a look of innocence (the likes of which her face is unsuited for, having left youth and a wide-eyed look behind a long time ago) Wessex plays along. “Of course not. I’m quite the ordinary traveler.” But they both know that if you have to say it, it ain’t so.

“Actually, yes -” she says with a bright chuckle. “Card-carrying member of the Monster Hunter’s Guild. I like to stupidly go after things much bigger and scarier than myself.” And sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, depending on the team. But he doesn’t need to know that. Glancing over at Loki, it seems the two companions have settled into a kind of sunny stalemate, which makes her loathe to move her, so perhaps she can stay a few more minutes. “I went down in it. The Maw. There was definitely something, but we didn’t stick around to see what.” Offering a shrug, Wessex indicates she’s as clueless as him.
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
zephyr

"Monster huntin', eh? Do a lotta that back in yer Grounds?" The more you hear about that place the less interested you become in exploring it. Though the idea of monsters does tickle your fancy a bit - once you might have liked to try your hand at hunting them, but these days you stand aside and let younger men take that role. "What kinda things ya tracked down? Must have a ton'a stories." Boyishly curious, you can't help but turn to her with interest in your eyes.

That she went down into the Maw makes her either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid (or both- those things generally go hand in hand, in your experience). "An' lived t'tell the tale. Wheeeew." This last bit is less word and more impressed whistle. Damn you'd like to head that way sometime. If only you didn't get sick as a dog every time you spent much time on a boat. "I'll be headin' int'a the Fingers soon, lookin' for whatever's awake in there. Any tips for a novice monster hunter?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
“The Grounds, Halo, here…” and wherever comes next. She can imagine The Climb all she wants, read about fyrhunds and other creatures all she wants, but nothing will replace seeing it for herself.

“Sure do. We can trade stories sometime. I’ll tell you about hunting down cannibals and an Ursur, and you can tell me about not-smuggling.” Or make something up, she doesn’t fucking care. As long as she starts to make ins with someone other than Remi and Sunjata (because there are clearly two sides to Torchline and it seems imperative to be in with both). His whistle does elicit a smile-smirk from her, though.Fuck it’s nice to have her skills appreciated.

What could she say that might be helpful? Don’t be stupid rings loudest, but you can’t just tell an idiot not to be stupid. Always have a way out sounds good too, but that implies a willingness to leave someone behind. So… “Choose your group well,” she says, finally. The right people for the job. Know their strengths and their weaknesses. “And take a healer. Or a healing object.”
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr

"Sounds like a fair trade." Cannibals and.... ursurs? Not your cup of tea, but boy of the story she hasn't told you doesn't pique your interest. Probably a lot more entertaining than anything about smuggling, but you don't need to tip your hand quite so soon. Better to let her keep believing your life is more interesting than it is.

It's not bad advice that you absolutely intend to heed thanks for fucking that up, Jack. You nod appreciatively, making a mental note to see if Eloise has healing under her list of interesting skills. For now, though, it's getting late, and you have work to do.

Collecting your things you stand at last, nodding to the stranger. "Well, no rest for the wicked- I oughta get back to it. Next time I'll buy ya a drink, an' y'can tell me 'bout those cannibals." With a wry almost-smile you extend your hand to Ki, letting her clamber onto your arm before turning and making your way down the hill.

As you walk past the Governor's house you pause, looking at the little carving in your hands. Nothing you need, but you hear he has a daughter.

A scribbled note later you're on your way, whistling, hands in your pocket. On the porch of the house is a small carved shark, and underneath a letter which reads For the lady of the house, from a secret admirer.

{fin}