for kin and country
for the Voice
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
After training with Saiden and my adventures in Rae’s fingers, I’m feeling a bit useless. Which is weird, because I don’t ever feel useless. And fuck, useless isn’t the right word, maybe just… weak, compared to the others. An’ I’ve never been buddy-buddy with the gods, even though I know they reward their followers with cool shit. It just never felt right.

But I obviously need something to help me get a leg up. The Torchers need someone to help ‘em stay somewhat in control. Hoa must be able to feel the conflict in me, cause he won’t stay home for this one. With a sigh, I wrap him around my shoulders and take off.

A recent customer told me there’s a shrine to the New Gods down by the sea, so I follow the directions one night, torch carried low enough to just see the steps ahead of me and come to a beautiful little altar. Stopping to examine the figure, I reach out to touch the piece, running my fingers over her hair, her dress, the point of the lightning. Hoa’s tongue flickers constantly in and out, sending little pulses of both apprehension and curiosity. I know how he feels.

Stepping back, with an eye to the waterline, I address the figurine - it’s been awhile since I’ve visited any shrine, so I feel nothing if not foolish. “I’m not sure who the New Gods are, really, but my name is Raza an’ I’m a Torcher, born ‘n bred. Was hopin’ you might be able t’ help me with somethin?” There’s not much else she can say right now, other than wait and see what happens, wondering who might show up.
quid pro quo
ain't nothin in this life for free
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
RANDOM EVENT
”A snake! A snake!” The many voices chime out toward Raza as her fingers leave the shrine and her eyes focus on the waterline. A slimy eel-like  hand extends from the rock of the shrine, aiming to pat the snake and subsequently Raza’s face as well, leaving a bit of a sticky mess behind as it drops with a loud ‘splat’ against the rocks of the shrine. Suddenly, another eel-like hand leaves the rock on the other side, hugging itself, and Raza might feel this sensation of being stared at. ”Let us see the snake!”
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
I’m not sure what I expected, but it sure as hell wasn’t this. The shock of an immediate reaction is probably what keeps me in place as the slimy hand reaches out to pet Hoa and then my face. When it retreats - no, falls to the ground, I touch the place where it left some residue and find that it’s… a lot like algae, maybe? Hoa hisses in my ear, unsure, but not yet ready to leave - curiosity as strong in him as it is in me.

And he seems to say that it’s okay to show him off. "Okay." We agree. I’m not sure it’s showing off, exactly, but since he gives me the go-ahead and a bit of encouragement, I take him off my shoulders and drape him across my forearms. “This is Hoa, my companion,” I say, by way of introduction. Perhaps keeping him - and me - safe by claiming a link and that he isn’t like most snakes. He is mine. I am his.

Hoa’s head lifts, tongue flickering in and out rapidly, trying to decide for himself what’s going on with the shrine.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
RANDOM EVENT
”Hoa!” A voice chimes, the eel-like hand outstretching toward Hoa to run its algae dripping hand along the scales of the snake. It takes its time, inspecting the pale scales beneath slimy fingertips before withdrawing. ”Oh we do love snakes.” Though it isn’t often that snakes venture out here into the area of this shrine – far too closed off for anything else, too well hidden.

After a few more long moments, the hand withdraws again, pulling into the shrine before a strange mix of an eel with multiple arms (think a cross between an eel and a centipede) slithers out from behind the shrine, vibrant and striped, sharp teeth as dark ringed eyes focus on Raza. The thing circles her, briefly before it climbs back up on the shrine. ”We’re sad to inform you that we are not these New Gods you speak of. But we thank you for showing us the snake.”
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Aight, I’m a liiiiittle skeptical of the whole situation when the hand that appears is dripping in algae, but Hoa doesn’t seem to mind, so I keep my mouth shut. He seems to think it isn’t harmful, but can’t quite tell what it is either, other than safe because it likes snakes.

I’m not so sure about the ‘safe’ part, especially as it slithers out from the shrine and isn’t what I’m expecting. The quiver of revulsion at the centipede part of it stirs in my belly, causing a quiet swallow. Thank the Gods it didn’t want to pet me. I follow its circle around us warily, still quiet until it sits back on the shrine, more… polite than I’d expected.

That does a lot to soothe my small spurts of wariness. “Oh.” I’m definitely a bit disappointed. “Yer welcome. An’ that’s okay.” Because of course, I don’t want to offend it. Looking at it a bit more - at its eyes, mostly, which seem to say that it could be either kind or cruel, without hesitation. “What.. are you? And why hang around the shrine?” Even if it isn’t one of the New Gods, I’m as curious as a cat.

Hoa seems to echo my question, lifting his head from my arm and contracting forward ever so slightly.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!

Change author:
RANDOM EVENT
”We hang around wherever we want to.” The eel-like creature responds, setting itself back up onto the shrine as it wraps itself around. ”We are like a phantom.” It answers quite chipperly, wiggling in its seat on the shrine before it watched Raza with a curious look.

”We really must be going now.” It’s almost a sorrowful expression that seems suggested through their body language, before its hands are moving again to push it up and peer through the cave to see any light outside. ”Thank you for letting us see the snake! Goodbye Hoa!” A chimed response to replace the sorrow of before, as the spirit suddenly vanishes. The only thing left behind are trails of the slime that coated the creatures body.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
It’s a little disappointing that the phantom, as it seems to call itself, has to leave so soon. I’m nodding in understanding, but my expression seems to match the sorrowful tone the eel thing takes. Hoa feels the same way, because although he is a beauty, reactions to a snake of his size are rarely so enthusiastic. I can feel his emotions and try to stroke him with my other hand soothingly while he strains towards the spirit, still trying to get in a “Of course. Hope to see you -” but by then it’s disappeared and and I seem to say to the empty air, “- again.”

Oh well. Out of curiosity, I step forward again and dip my fingers into the slime, feeling its viscosity between my fingers. Didn't even know what to call it - ain't that a shame.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!