[RQ] oldest rule in the book
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
REMI
the alchemist
& my heart ran away with me
'Y'think she'll go for it?' Remi asked of Zeph and Elias. Given that they were both naturals and life-long Torchers, he was hoping at least one of them might have had some previous (positive) run-ins with the owner of "Maudie-may's art gallery and bazar". The Alchemist didn't know what a bazar was in normal contexts, but it sure seemed a fitting name for what he saw inside.

From floor to ceiling all Remi could make out was...junk. And that was coming from a bonafide hoarder and inventor. Canvases with seaweed smeared on them, random food products in jars, and what appeared to be dried jellyfish hung from the ceiling, all added to the quaint charm of the place.

This is a regional quest requirement, open to: Remi, Zephyr, and Elias. You will be moving the business of an old woman who doesn't really understand what you want and is maybe a little racist.

Remember, you each need to post 3 times.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
Elias
Elias knew the woman they were heading to help and shook his head slightly to Remi's question. "Not in the least. She's a bit stubborn," Once the little old woman set her mind on something's value, she did not budge.

As they entered the familiar shop, Elias allowed his gaze to wander; nothing looked like it had moved since he'd last been in, haggling for a pretty gemstone he'd found. But then, it was more likely that more had been added to the growing piles of things.
Welcome to Wonderland, I'll be your guide.
Holding your hand under sapphire skies,
Let's go exploring or we could just go for a walk.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Zephyr

You've met the woman as well - you know most people, it's a tight-knit community - and you nod your agreement with Elias' assessment of her stubborn nature. But you've been called charming on more than one occasion before, and though it's a rather ill-practiced trick at this point, it's one you figure you can call forth for this occasion.

The shop is just as crowed and just as ridiculous as you remember, with a growing collection of junk that you suspect will continue multiplying until she's dead. "Gonna be a chore gettin' this moved," you remark under your breath to the other two men, before rolling your head and shoulders dramatically, fingers laced and stretching ahead. "But let's see what we can do, eh?"

And with that you stride up to the counter, flashing a vibrant, boyish, rarely-seen grin. "Eh, Auntie! How you stay? Howz da kids? You still make the best lau lau this side'a Apopo?"

never trust a survivor until you find out what he did to stay alive
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Yeah..a hard no was basically what Remi thought. Hopefull having two handsome men to accompany him would prove nothing but useful. Expecting Elias perhaps to take charge, it's Zeph who leads the way, strolling into the shop as if he knew it intimately (and, for all Remi knew of the man, he might).

More ignorance on his part made it impossible to know if Zeph's greeting was merely one of respect or actual familial relation. He assumed the former, thinking it would have been mentioned at some point if this was one of the sailor's relatives, but anything was possible he supposed.

The old woman behind the counter looked at Zeph through a curtain of straight black hair, her bangs so straight you could likely use it as a ruler. "You'd know wouldn't you if you ever came 'round to visit, 'stead of spending your days with these ou'landers." She remarked, waggling a wooden spoon in his direction.

Haole, she spat under her breath with a look towards Remi, before turning toward Elias. "Cat got your tongue?"
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Zephyr

"Auwe, Auntie, y'know how it stay." Affecting as much of a contrite and charming air as you can, you lean in conspiratorially toward the old woman. "Us kamaʻāina gotta keep an eye on the malihini. Not let 'em get into trouble." You reach out gently to grab the spoon, wincing slightly as she calls Remi a haole. Hopefully the governor is still too knew to know what an insult that can be.

Eager to distract her and butter her up, you attempt to slip an arm around the woman's shoulder. "C'mon, Auntie. Let's talk story. Me'n Elias, y'know us. We only eva' want what's best fo' the 'aina, don't we, bruddah?" You're slathering it on, your accent strong, casting Elias a pointed glance in an attempt to get his help. "The new guv'na got an idea for ya. Movin' ya shop, an' gettin' paid for it. Whaddya thing, Auntie? We'll find a place nice an' close t'your home, an' bumbai all the movin'll be taken care'a."

kama'aina - local
malihini - foreigner
'aina - land
bumbai - later

Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Elias
Elias chuckled, "No, Auntie. Cat hasn't got my tongue. But you should be nice," he states, noting she'd called the governor a haole. Elias didn't appreciate racism, but he wasn't going to fight the woman on her beliefs today. Another day, perhaps.

He moved to Maudie-may's other side, grinning, "Wouldn't it be easier to walk to work if work is right by your home? Closer to me too, so I could come to see you more." He offers, knowing if she accepts, he's sealed himself to visits with the old woman.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Waving her hands with a disgruntled look, Maud lets Zephyr take the spoon. "Didn't used'ta be l'dis. I know you boys since small kid time, and now you come all akamai moke like I's some lolo who ain't fit t'put my own two feet on the sand t'walk t'work." With a glare in Remi's direction, the old woman spits at his feet, tearing her apron off.

"Y'got choke work ta'do. I dun' wanna see your faces until iz all pau." She added with a final unhappy stare before storming off back towards her home.

Swallowing, Remi looked towards his two counterparts. "I'm not going to pretend I understood all of that...but I take it she isn't overly pleased with the idea of moving?"

Down the road a horse and wagon appeared; one of the locals had volunteered her assistance with this, knowing just how particular Maud could be about her things. "Let's load things up as carefully as we can." Remi said with a light wince, not wanting to further anger the old woman by having to tell her that her things had been broken during transport.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
Zephyr

"I know, Auntie." What more is there to say? She's right, of course- they're making her, a long-time local, leave her shop so that some newcomers can put in godsdamned canals. If Jack and Raza hadn't insisted you play nice, well...

At least you can do what you can to manage damage.

You're both a little grateful and a little disappointed with Auntie Maude's willingness to oblige at last - you sorta really wanted to see her go lolo at the child governor, more's the pity. With a kiss to her cheek and a promise to come by soon you see her off down the road, expression hardening back to its usual neutral when Remi speaks. "Pretty much."

With the old woman out of the way all that's left is moving things. Quietly you grab a box and head to a corner of the shop where you know she keeps old maps, eager to sort and store them is some level of privacy, keeping an eye out for any that might prove useful to you.

Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias sighed, watching the woman leave. "That went... pretty well, really." He murmured, moving towards a corner of the room, to handle the woman's various seashells and bottles full of a variety of things.

He didn't enjoy the dread coiling in his stomach--or was it guilt--at agreeing to help move Maude's things. For a canal...

But it would prove useful, and Elias was certain she'd appreciate having her shop closer to her home, eventually. So, quietly and carefully, he began to wrap bottles and shells, packing them into the box with care.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Unlike the other two men, the Alchemist did think that the canals would prove useful. He did think that the liberties of the mermaids outweighed the inconvenience the canals would cause to a few. But he wasn't a bred and born Torcher of course, and just now, he had no idea if he was actually on the right side of all of this.

Throwing himself entirely into the moving, using both magical means and strength, Remi did everything in his power to compensate for Zephyr and Elias' verbal assistance with Maud. Had he been on his own, or worse, had been accompanied by other Outlanders, he was almost entirely sure the day would have taken a far different turn.

When at last the wagon was loaded, Remi wiped at his brow with the back of his arm and sagged wearily against it. "Thank you both. I...well. I think we all know what would have happened were you not here today." Swallowing and glancing between the two men, assuming they were here more on Jack's behest than his, he offered them each a tired smile. "You have my gratitude, for what that's worth."

And just what was it worth? Well. A favour from the Governor might well come in handy.

Thanks for putting up with me being a slow poke!

~FIN