Betrayal of an Oath
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Morgan
The wreckage of the Palace was quite a thing to behold. In some sick ways it was even beautiful, the remnants of the formed ice glinting in the cold Deepfrost sun, reflections blue and purple in the puddles of water that splashed under Morgan's feet as she walked into the debris.

Looking for anything useful, anything worth salvaging. Anything in the wreckage that she could pull out and hold up for the crowds, say look, it's not all gone. There was plenty there, in the ice: boards splintered, left from furniture, bits of trinkets smashed beyond recognition, plants that might once have been important.

Standing where she thought the clinic might once have been, Morgan knelt, pushing aside the ice on the ground to see, against the likelihood, if there was anything there that could be salvaged and used in the oncoming weeks.

We knew that all this fun and games
Was another big fib to hide the chains
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Loren had been assisting in the clean up efforts as much as he could, though mostly he was on hand to treat injuries, from either the cold or accidents. However, when he'd spotted Morgan, he frowned. Heading towards the Captain, he watched as she stopped at the site of what had once been an infirmary.

Sighing, he called out to her. "Don't bother. There's nothing we can salvage, we already checked this area. More than once." His voice was carefully neutral, and he stood a good distance away from her. Crossing his arms, he made sure his features were neutral as he waited for her to react to his presence.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Morgan
Morgan paused her search when she heard Loren's voice, slowly leaning back up and letting go of the board she had been lifting up. What she felt when she looked at the once-Launceleyn was hard to sum up; he was a part of the family she felt had ruined her city, yet he had also renounced the name and she knew him to be a decent enough healer, someone with the confidence to suggest his ideas.

For the moment, she supposed they were at peace.

"...I...suppose I just hoped." She shrugged with a sigh, walking a little closer. "It's odd. This palace has not been a part of the Citadel for a long time: I was here for years before it appeared. But now, without it...this part of the Citadel feels oddly empty." Things would be rebuilt one day, buildings taking over the spot til it was nothing more than a memory, but for the moment it was just a large open space, bizarre in it's lack of familiar scenery. "For you who has never known anything else here, it must look very bereft indeed."

the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Nodding in understanding, Loren clasped his hands behind his back. "Nothing wrong with a little hope these days." Despite the fact that he kept his tone and expression carefully neutral, he couldn't help the way his eyes tightened with pain and his jaw feathered with tension. Nor could he stop the actual feathers from peppering his hair for a brief moment.

"Do you even want to rebuild it?" It was an honest question, and he gave Morgan a curious, albeit guarded look. When she asked her question, though, he shrugged. "Not really. Home hasn't been a physical place for me in...well, it's never been a physical place for me." Again, he was careful to keep his voice matter of fact.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Morgan
"..I'm not sure if it's warranted." Morgan sighed, thinking of her hope that things would be steady enough until Flowerbirth, that she had time to plan her attack and prepare her takeover; her guards had died while she was waiting and now she saw how optimistic and foolish she had been.

At Loren's question she looked up at the sky, visualising what the palace had looked like, it's shining towers reaching up into the sky...and shook her head. "No. The Citadel has never been a place for that kind of pompous glamour. It was a monument to Neron's vanity...and besides, Eirachi might take our attempts to rebuild it as an insult." The last thing she wanted to do was to garner Eirachi's disdain again.

"I think we would be better suited to build something better defended and sturdy. Functional for what we need, but modest. A space for those in the Warden's cabinet to gather and live, train and talk. It does not need to be anything more than a building like any other." Perhaps, once the debris was cleared, that was the kind of thing she could try to help with, her and her few remaining guards, the ones assigned to domestic issues.

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren gave Morgan a sad smile. "After everything we just went through, and everything we lost, I'd rather not give up hope, too." Looking down, he cleared his throat almost delicately. "I'm sorry about your soldiers." He spoke in a quiet and respectful tone.

Glancing up, he followed her gaze. Nodding, he sighed. "I'm sure Weaver will be happy to take your suggestions under consideration." Turning to stare at the Arcane Academy, his eyes narrowed.

When he spoke next, it was in the cautious, the words slow and careful. "I imagine you have quite a bit you'd like to say and ask me." Still not looking at her, he just waited patiently.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Morgan
Loren's apologies were similar to many others she'd heard in the last day and she only just held back the snapping retort that wanted to come out: It's not me you should be sorry to. It's all the families I've left incomplete. Still, she had just enough self control left to remind herself Loren meant well and just nodded, pressing her lips together to try and mask any emotion.

"Mmm. I have spoken to her already about some things...she seems reasonable." For the moment, she was happy with the decision that had been made, though time would tell if Weaver was suited to the job.

She followed Loren's eyes up to the Academy, the building still standing tall next to the destroyed palace, a suspicious part of the puzzle that she hadn't got around to solving yet. His question seemed bizarrely self centred in the midst of all the rubble around them, but she supposed once she thought about it, she did have some questions. "...Not particularly to say to you. I think you did a good thing and you are still a decent healer and fighter." She shrugged.

"The only thing I would ask, I suppose, is if you are glad to be rid of your familie's name?"

the Firebrand

Change author:
Not noticing or caring about Morgan's reaction, Loren just focused on the conversation about their new Warden. "I agree. Hopefully we'll be able to move on and make something stronger out of this tragedy." Despite the carefully neutral tone he employed, his eyes had tightened with grief and his jaw feathered with tension.

Relaxing minutely when the Captain seemed to have no bone to pick with him, he hesitated at her question. Considering it, he finally shook his head slowly. "No." It came out more bluntly than he'd intended. "I don't think anyone could possibly be happy having to cast off all ties with their family." He took a deep breath. "But I don't regret it."
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Morgan
"Mmm. Already, I have made plans with her to create a new and better fortified gate. It will likely need to wait until Flowerbirth, but I believe we can come out of this stronger." It would take a lot of work from all of them and a hefty amount of belief and determination from their citizens, but Morgan had seen the people of the Citadel fight through so many hardships; she knew they could rise again from this.

Morgan tilted her head in acknowledgement of Loren's point, supposing that 'glad' wasn't really a word that could be applied to anything in this situation. "So will you not advocate for your brother, if our Warden decides he has earned the death penalty..? Or something equally severe? Exile in Halo may as well be death, with the mountain cold at this time of year." Curious to see what he'd say, she turned around a bit of crushed wall in her hands as she waited.

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren nodded at Morgan's words. "Let me know how I can assist you." The words came out quietly, but firmly.

Sighing, he clasped his hands behind his back. For a moment, he didn't respond to her questions. Instead, he just stood there, brow furrowed.

Finally, he met her gaze, expression once again carefully neutral. "I will advocate for my brother. Despite the pain he brought to the Citadel, he merely showed a lack of judgment, and did not commit any crimes. There is nothing to exile him or kill him for, and he has been removed as Warden. Surely that is punishment enough."

However, he raised his eyebrows, slightly challengingly but mostly curiously. "Why? Are you going to advocate for something worse?" He pressed his lips together as he waited for her to answer.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Morgan
Morgan nodded, sure there would be plenty of work to do once the time came to fix the gate; Loren with his mass of powers would be very welcome indeed to help with the lifting and construction.

She listened quietly to the rest of what he had to say, not betraying any emotion. They disagreed on Neron's crimes but she could understand Loren's position: after all, family ties could be strong and she knew if her father were in prison she would have advocated for him too. To the question, she shook her head.

"I consider the decision to be with our Warden now. Personally I am not sure what it is he deserves, but my job is not to be the arbiter of his life; I will just carry out what Weaver asks." She hoped Loren would find that fair, as she was trying to be. "...Do you...think she will be a good leader? I do not know her well."

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren just nodded again, more than happy to leave the decision in Weaver's hands. Well, kind of: he was going to talk to the Warden about it, again, but he was confident she'd make the right choice. At Morgan's question, he smiled faintly. "She will be. She has a level head on her shoulders, and the best interests of Halo at heart."

Glancing around at the ruins, he sighed. "On that note, I have a lot of work to do, and I'm sure you do as well. I'll see you soon, I'm sure, Captain." Saluting her, he turned to head back down into the Citadel proper. Even now, after some time had passed, there were still those in need of healing, and more who were injured as part of the repair and recovery efforts.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Morgan
"Good." Hopefully she will serve better than Neron, she thought, but was smart enough to avoid saying that particular wish out loud in front of Loren. Morgan did wonder how it was Loren knew Weaver, but didn't ask, the healer turning to leave almost as soon as he had given the answer.

Everyone was feeling off at the moment she supposed, so she tried not to read too much into his quick dismissal. "...Right." Watching him leave she frowned, wondering if she had mistepped somehow; she thought she had been remarkably respectful, given the circumstances.

Well. Whatever it was, there was indeed a lot to do. Morgan headed off to her own work.

{FIN}