{SE} Momentary Bliss
Samuel~
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you've got an appetite for destruction, i guess that makes you just like me
The length of coast between Aumakua and Haulani was one that Nate knew well by this point, though that by no means meant he knew everything. Or that he was unwilling to go looking. It was one of those times now, early in the morning before the barest hint of the sun was on the horizon, when he has nowhere urgent to be. Pemota drifts above him, out of reach, as she's taken to doing. It feels, almost routine, in a way.

Though, what isn't routine is the way the Starwhal goes drifting off the path, into a more open copse of trees, her attention drawn by something, and his mental pleading goes completely ignored. Because of course it does. So Nate goes trudging after her, off the beaten path, and into what seems to be a thick bank of fog. He can still see the glimmer of stars and the slight crackle surrounding Pemota, a playful joy radiating from her, but nothing else.

Maybe he should be worried, but it seems like quite a peaceful moment, so he's content to stand, looking around for his companion, and perhaps the source of the strange fog.
NATE
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
The book of love is long and boring
Sam had taken to setting off on a lot of nighttime walks, routes carefully selected to avoid any major areas of traffic where suspicious types might be lurking; his invisibility had given him a kind of confidence that had been swiftly stripped away and he felt himself instinctively ducking away from people in the street now as they approached, wanting to avoid anyone that could cause him the slightest potential harm.

Which is why when sudden fog rolled in, he was very nervous indeed. Without being able to see who or what was coming he was totally open to any kind of attack or mugging; maybe even revenge from the Ascended for turning his back on them. Stepping forward blindly and with great fear in the fog, it was no real surprise that when he bumped into a person he screamed, jumping back and trying to scramble away: when he saw it was Nate he stopped yelling, though his mood didn't exactly improve, embarrassment now firmly settling in his chest.

"Um...I d-didn't see you." He said redundantly, as if it wasn't plainly obvious.

No one can lift the damn thing
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The absolute last thing Nate expects to run into inside the fog bank is another person, least of all a person who is going to scream in his face as they collide. But the only thing worse than a person screaming at him is that he absolutely recognizes the voice, the red hair that comes into view when he looks down. He can't quite help the way the corner of his mouth drags up in a sneer, despite the little bit Sunjata has told him of the other ascended's condition at the moment. It's easy to explain away as some kind of sympathy scam, easy to hold his anger close to his chest that way.

Though something that flimsy breaks apart the instant Sam actually speaks, stumbling and pathetic and immediately making Nate feel like an asshole, though that's not enough for him to shift his facial expression, or school in his tone when he speaks. "That's pretty obvious Sam." It's a low growl, the tone of it doing something to lure Pemota close to him again, like she's eager to see whatever it that has him so riled up.

And in her wake, a trio of small... something's, lizards of some kind maybe. Because calling them tiny dragons just seems to ridiculous. Whatever they are though, the fog seems to come from their maws, clouds trailing along behind starlight and the crackle of electricity. Nate sighs out a breath through his nose, relaxing as the starwhal's light bathed over him, absently wondering if it had the same effect on the other man as well. "What are uh, you doing? This far out, I mean." His voice is strangely stiff, like he isn't sure how to talk to the other man with compassion, afraid that it would be rejected regardless of his intentions.

Which, would be fair, but it would only piss him off in this instance. And he knows Sam more than likely doesn't have his fancy electric shield anymore.
NATE
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
Looking at Nate's face with it's skeptical scowl was enough to make Sam feel two inches tall already, but his scathing words only made it worse. He nodded, looking at the floor and pushing hair behind his ear, his mind ringing with hundreds of worst case scenarios. While he knew that Nate wasn't a devout Ascended, what if he was angry enough to want to get revenge on him for turning his back on the voice? They were alone here, hidden: he had no way to defend himself, if Nate wanted to get violent.

The only thing that caused him to look up was a bizarre glimpse of a sky whale and...smoking lizards, both of which were very unexpected and made him frown, almost missing the next thing Nate said and having to blink for a moment at the man as the words made their way back to him.

"...I w-w-wa...Was. On a walk." He explained, going to grasp one of his arms with the other. "What ab-about...you..?"

Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
There's an echo in his head, something from Pemota that's partially pity, and partially a savage glee, and for maybe the first time Nate completely understands his companion. He reaches up, brushing his fingers along her belly, and considers Sam, chewing the inside of his cheek. And while Pemota tolerated his touch, the cloud wyrms did not appreciate how close his hand got, scattering in every direction, and thickening the fog around them.

"A walk, huh?" Nate nods, not quite looking at Sam, focusing somewhere over his shoulder instead. The more he saw the anxious, fidgety mess of a man before him, the worse he started to feel, and the harder it got to speak. He was already struggling enough. "Seems... kinda late for you." He points out, knowing the daytime schedule Sam tended to stick to.

The chance to change the subject away from the other man is jumped on, Nate rolling his shoulders back, still not quite looking at Sam, but he's managed to get his voice pressed into something that feels more natural, that isn't a growl, or an emotionless struggle. "I was... I guess walking too. Killing time, before I went to the clinic."
NATE
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
"I.." Sam frowned; he had so convinced himself that the rest of the Ascended had to know about what had happened by now, that they were all ready to fall on him with knives for his betrayal; that Nate didn't know the details was a surprise. "..I lo-lost my sun resistance. I c...can't go out anymore, in the day." Hopefully Nate would understand how much of a blow this was, how much of a change to his routine, his whole world turned upside down.

He nodded, watching the lizards scatter around out of the corner of his eye. "Um..is..isn't it late, for your cl-clinic to be open?"

Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Lost it, huh?" Nate drawled, head tipping to the side. "You need some help finding it?" It's a tease, not a mean one, but teasing nonetheless. But it's the closest he can offer to comfort, because he does know, maybe better than most, how much of a blow that would be to the other man, when he'd tried so hard for so long to have a normal schedule. So normal that Nate hadn't known ascending would lock him more tightly with the night.

"Early, technically." Nate clarifies, gesturing up towards the sky like the stars were even visible through the grounded cloud. "It's a bit of a walk, from uh... where I'm living though, and I like having the extra time before the sun is up." It's a civil enough answer, but Nate still rubs at his neck, feeling awkward.
NATE
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
The reaction to Nate's teasing would likely be stronger than he expected, Sam's face immediately crumpling and his eyes blinking away tears. With all the stress of the last few days, the few careless words felt like a lashing and a reminder of just how little empathy the other Ascended would have for his plight. He didn't say anything, but it was obvious that he was hurt.

He looked up to the sky when Nate gestured, thinking that he was just being pedantic for the sake of it, really. "Mmm. Do...do you tr-treat many people? Do..do you bite all of them?" Sam asked, his voice not quite bitter enough for the jab to land and his eyes too jumpy.

Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Really, Nate should know better, should know to keep his joking to himself at the moment, as he watches tears well up in Sam's eyes, unshed, for the moment. He doesn't quite sigh, knowing it won't help anything, but he rolls his shoulders back, not taking the words back, but not piling them on more. It was kinder than perhaps anything he'd done for the other ascended in a long time.

As Sam looked up, he would see the trio of little dragons, nipping and twirling over each other in a dance far above their heads, though they seemed to freeze in his gaze, waiting for him to look away so they could scatter once again. "I treat a decent amount of people." Then, a low laugh left him, his viewpoint of... lets call it 'The Incident' far warmer than he was sure Sam's was. "I don't need to bite most people who come in."

Though, it felt wrong to leave it like that, when he was trying (he supposed he was going to try again) to be nice. Ish. "Look, I know I know I fucked up with that whole... situation. And... I'm sorry it hurt you."
NATE
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
Maybe out of some sense of wanting to control what he could, Sam kept his eyes determinedly on the little dragons in the cloud, waiting to see if they would eventually begin to move again under his gaze. As he watched he responded with an 'mmm' to Nate's answer about the clinic, rather pointedly not paying too much attention.

Then Nate did about the only thing that could make him genuinely look back: he apologised. Sam blinked, amazed, watching with wide eyes as Nate seemed to actually mean it. "..Th..thank you. That...is nice of you t-to say." He considered apologising in return for throwing the man out, but he couldn't quite summon the words: maybe one day.

With the apology out in the air, Sam felt his resolve to be rude weaken. "D...do you thiii-think you could walk ba..back to Haulani with me?"

Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
It takes a long moment, but the lithe creatures do eventually relax under Samuel's watchful gaze, though only enough to blow a gust of cloud down, obscuring them from view completely as they fled, deeper into the jungle, the crowns of trees again.

"Yea, well... someone brought it to my attention that I was," he hums, tipping his head back and forth while he tries to settle on a word, "overreacting? So..." An apology. And it seemed to be enough to get them back onto some kind of solid footing, so hey, maybe he owed Amun an apology. Maybe he'd hold onto that one a while longer though.

The offer to walk with Sam is a little surprising to Nate, as much as his apology must have been to the other man. But it doesn't stop a crooked grin from spreading over his face, a nod tipping his head. "I'm heading that way anyway. Whereabouts are you staying anyway? Not with the rest of the snowbirds, surely?"
NATE
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
Sam raised an eyebrow as it appeared someone had told Nate he was in the wrong over their break up: could it have been Sunjata, he wondered? The man had always seemed to be more compassionate than Nate and Sam could very loosely call him a friend. He didn't ask, thinking it was probably best to just let the matter go, but he silently thanked whoever it was that had called out Nate on his behaviour.

"Oh, umm..." Was it a wise idea to let Nate know where he was staying? Sam mulled it over; eventually he decided it was likely alright: it wasn't like he thought the other man was actually violent or anything. "I'm st-staying with...I..don't know if you kn..kn..know him. His name is Zeph? I am a-at his house."

Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Apologies out of the way, thank gods, Nate got them turned back towards the path again, his hand rising to stroke along Pemota's side while he did, wondering absently at the strange dislike she had of Sam, but glad that it was making him seem better. He's focused more on the path ahead than anything else, his long stride slowed a little for the other man's sake, though the stumbled answer draws his gaze, a brow raised. "The uh, older guy, right? Friends in low places?" Though it wasn't really any of his business, Nate desperately wanted to know how that had happened, if Sam was in someone else's bed again so soon. "I know him, but I don't know know him, y'know?" A huff of laughter, and his eyes are facing forward again.

Really, it's a miracle he's managed to avoid the elephant in the room so long, that he's kept himself from asking after it, but Nate really can't hold back, now that they're walking, and talking nicely. "So... what happened? With your voice, your resistance?"
NATE
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
Thankfully Nate walked at a decent pace so he could keep up, Sam's short legs and currently depleted stamina not lending itself to a swift walking speed. He tried not to look too offended at the description of Zeph, though he was beginning to wonder if he had vastly different standards for 'old' to everyone else, with even the smuggler himself calling 34 old. "...Yes. He's v-very nice and he l..lets me stay for free." It was probably obvious from Sams quiet smile that he felt a certain way about the man, but he didn't notice himself looking so bashful.

The question about his losses was inevitable enough. Sam sighed and shrugged. "I...t-told the Voice I did...didn't want anything t-to do with her anymore. So she...t..tt..took what she'd gi..v-ven me." Hopefully he didn't have to explain further than that: more than anyone, Nate would know just how much he had had taken from him.