[SE] With the hate of some other man's beliefs
For Jigano
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

"Oh, hey--!" Sam laughed and shook his head, almost pushing Jigano in his embarrassment. "We slee-sleep in separate ro-rooms." While Sam had never thought this would be a problem he'd have, he was actually proud to be fostering a relationship with Zeph not based on a misguided hook up. Even if it only ended up a friendship, he felt like it was probably a step above trying to build something out of an accidental night.

Given that the Hel on his shoulder was so well behaved, Sam almost forgot it was there: he wished he could have the connection with animals that Attuned did. It had to be magical, to be able to request something of a wild creature. Sometimes, being Ascended, something made and powered, it was easy to feel distant from nature.

He smiled, amused to hear Jigano's confession - the bard was often so dignified, it was almost surprising to hear him admit to something as normal and base as lust. "Th-thank you. I have...actually b-been con..considering moving to Torchline, but..." Sam shook his head gently, a silently sad smile on his face. "Not to b-be with Zeph, or...or anything lik..like that, tho-though I'll probably still b..be living wit-with him. No, I..."

This was the first time he'd said this out loud and it felt like he was putting the intention out into the world (scary and exciting): "I've been th-thinking I mi...might try to and st-start Cartography wo..work."

Samuel
He took a step but then felt tired
He said, I'll rest a little while
But when he tried to walk again
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
"For now," Jigano agreed contentedly, a sly wink for his friend hopefully showing Sam that he was just teasing him, a light-hearted ribbing between friends. In truth he was both relieved and gratified to know that his friend was building this relationship from the ground up, making sure the foundations were well-rooted in friendship and trust before physical intimacy entered the picture. He hoped that meant that it would work out better in the long run however long Sam had, a thought he didn't want to dwell on, but even if it didn't he was glad that the bookmaker would have more good friends to rely on.

Given what he'd learned this night, he wasn't surprised to hear that Sam was considering moving from his childhood home. "The Grounds have a lot of memories in them." He spoke more quietly, tone gentling from their banter. "And I know that most of them are not good ones, however much I wish it otherwise." Sam's parents, his father in particular, the early years of his Ascension when he had been so miserable in his own skin, and all the awkwardness of a shy young man who had only learned to make friends in recent years... "I don't think anyone would blame you if you wanted to start fresh someplace... well. Like this," he gestured at the moonlit sea ruefully, glancing back to the torch-lit beach and all the tropical beauty around them. "With or without Zeph, this would be a good place."

His smile returned, softer and a little sad. "You're no longer the Voice's portal-maker, I take it? But making maps that anyone can use, Ascended or not, would be a good addition to your repertoire. A book of maps, of all the places we've found... That would be in high demand, I think. I would love to have a copy for the Guild, too." His smile widened. "Would it help to be able to see places from above, to make these maps?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Being teased about his budding thing with Zeph was certainly enough to embarrass Sam and he just shook his head with a quiet laugh, hoping Jigano wouldn't push it much further: while he was certainly happy to have something to be teased about, he wasn't used to it.

"They do. Th...though...since I've ma-made friends, like you, um...not a..all the memories are b-bad. So I ho..hope you might vi-visit." He looked over to Jigano with a warm smile (trying not to laugh at the bird on the man's shoulder returning the look). "I lik..like it here, even with the s..ssun." That was the one downside, especially now that the Voice had taken away so much of his ability: but Sam had found that even just the evenings and nights out in Torchline beat by far the days he could spend out in the Hollowed Grounds.

He shook his head: no, he was no longer the Portal Guardian; honestly that was something he was very glad indeed to have off his shoulders. "D-Don't get too excit...excited about it y-yet. I still have to...to see if I'm an-any good at it." As for being able to see from above...Sam tilted his head, for a moment wondering if Jigano was offering himself to be bitten: surely not, right? "Maybe...b-but not now. When I know...when I know what I'm d-doing."

Maps aside, it was bizarre how used you could get to the absurd in a short amount of time: it struck Sam again that he was walking on water with the help of a bird. With a laugh he spent a while just enjoying that, walking and dancing and talking with Jigano under the moon until the novelty finally wore off: it was good to know that their friendship never had.

{FIN}

Samuel
He took a step but then felt tired
He said, I'll rest a little while
But when he tried to walk again
He wasn't a child