{SE}{O} Waves Will Eat The World
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
- NATE -
no surrender, no retreat, i'll tear down every wall
just to keep you warm, just to bring you home
A month ago, there was nothing that would convince Nate he'd be being civil with Sam again, nothing that would convince him he'd be going out of his way to help the other man. Pity, though, was a powerful force.

Still he had an image to maintain, had to go around his niceties real carefully. A load of fish, dropped off for the hungry grounders, enough to make Sam look good, and to take the load off where ever the seasonal refugees were staying. It was a genius plan, as far as he was concerned, one of the better ones he'd had. He could spend a night fishing, make his delivery before the sun rose, and be at his clinic by dawn, no one the wiser.

Armed with a net and a dinghy, Nate shoved off into the ocean under the light of the moon, keeping as close to the shore as he could, while still going deep enough to have a chance to catch something. Pemota drifted along just above the boat, a quiet buzz of contentment radiating from her, the starwhal happy to be under the stars, over the water. Really, it seemed like a perfect night, until he actually started to try and catch fish.

Maybe he would have benefited with some practice with the net before he got out onto the water, but he manages, after a dozen false starts, after every curse he knows has been uttered, to get the net into the water, spread out the way it should be. then it's just waiting, settling in the boat and waiting for something, some sign that he'd caught something.
i will burn this city down for a diamond in the dust
i'll keep you safe and sound when there's no one left to trust
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 14 - Int:
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
She had an immense curiosity about life
Boats were a normal thing... boats fishing in the absolute middle of the night? Now that's another thing.

Ever since her curse first appeared, there's been a drive to escape. Seek the surface. Go anywhere but in the safety of her home, or what used to be the safety of her home. The spirit had long since cursed her, ripping away that sense of security and replacing it with almost constant anxiety.

Maybe that's why she was so distracted that her tail clipped the net. Thrashing around, she quickly freed herself before angrily staring up at the boat.

Swimming away from the net and towards the other side of the boat. Piercing through the water, she looked up at the boat. Placing a hand on it, she watched the person before using her water magic to sprinkle just a bit of water on his head, hoping to tell him to, ya know, be a bit more careful...

Also the spirit said being alone was bad and the surface was good, so that too.

Delta is cursed and I will roll a die every other reply!
and was constantly staring and wondering
DELTA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
- NATE -
It takes longer than Nate had thought it would, but finally there's some kind of result, a tug on the net. Something big, by the feel of it. There's something real satisfying about the thought of pulling up one big fish and dropping it on Zeph's doorstep, at least as compared to a basket of smaller fish. He heaves the net back up, grin bright on his face, and is greeted by... nothing.

Well that was disappointing.

He huffs, and rises up to throw the net out again when there was a handful of drops against his head, freezing him in place. Not a cloud in the sky, so it can't be rain, and he hasn't thrown the net yet, so it can't be come kind of weird blowback. Nate looks around, circling in the boat and sending it rocking back and forth as he looked for the source of the water, confusion blooming on his face.

"Hello?' He calls, remembering talk of mermaids and spirits and who knows what else, lurking under the ocean waves. Hopefully, it's something benevolent, if it's anything at all.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Every day's a little harder as I feel my power grow
The net quickly went back to the surface, showing that the fisherman was indeed very much there. Interesting.

It came as no surprise that her water had caused him to react, his body moving the boat side to side- swaying in the darkness. A hand tried to steady it, realizing that she might've given the poor guy a heart attack, seeing as he couldn't exactly tell who had done it.

Slowly, she poked her head a bit more above the surface before calling out. "Sorry- didn't mean to scare you! I mean you no harm. I just wanted to-" And just like that she was cut off.

If Nate was able to see her in time, he would've seen a delicate, small mermaid with bright eyes shift into a gigantic beast. At a massive length, the small lion-fish transformed into a massive shark. Splashing the water ever so slightly and hitting the boat a bit due to the size change, Delta started to panic once more.

No no no no no not again please not again not now. Surely the fisherman had a weapon and surely he would use it against her. Trying as hard as she could, she swam forward until she was able to fully submerge herself. Unfortunately, the body within her forced her to remain close to the surface, preventing her from swimming deep enough for any sort of protection from the fisherman. Please be an attuned! I didn't mean to transform! Please! She screamed through a hopeful bond, unable to tell if this fisherman was going to hurt her or not.

Delta has transformed into a shark! She rolled an 18, ouch.
Don't you know there's part of me that longs to go into the unknown?
delta
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
The boat is steadied, and not by anything Nate's done. Hell, he half expects to go tipping over the side, with the careless way he'd whirled around. And a good thing he did, just in time to actually catch the soft, girlish voice, just in time to see the wide eyes and human face of something - she has to be a mermaid - before they grow and transform into something huge, something with teeth far sharper and more menacing than his.

And this time, there's nothing saving him, no helping hand stopping him from pitching backwards into the water in his haste to jump away from whatever it is he'd just seen. "Fuck!" The curse is half swallowed by the waves, but at least his only real worry is the creature he's sharing the area with. No need for breath, no need to panic and struggle for the surface, though it was an urge he had to bite back.

There's no way for Nate to hear the silent plea, no bond there, no stolen shift lingering under his skin, but he does think about the words he's heard before going tumbling into the ocean. I mean you no harm. It's not usually in his character to put his faith into something he hadn't seen, hadn't had the chance to actually speak to, but he doesn't have much of a choice here. He kicks, just enough to break the surface, and starts to swim back towards his little boat, shouting as he does. "I don't know what you are, but I'd really appreciate not being eaten!" Nate shouts, scanning the waves around him. "I promise I don't taste good."
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Every day's a little harder as I feel my power grow
The human seemed to yelp before crashing into the water. Swimming forward and making her way into a turn, Delta started to head towards him, remaining close to the surface so she could hear what he had to say. Unfortunately, things were not going too well so she needed to show to him somehow that she was a good shark... right? But how was she supposed to do that when he couldn't even hear her?

Swimming up close to him she tried to remain slow and calm, with her mouth closed. Blinking at him a couple of times, she fluttered her fins for a second before coming up right next to him and gently pushing against his side, giving him the opportunity to use her as a way to get back onto his boat. Hopefully her calmness and well, lack of attacking, would show that she is a very very good shark and has no intention of chomping down on his apparently gross flesh.
Don't you know there's part of me that longs to go into the unknown?
delta
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Despite his initial moment of panic, a cooler head prevailed, kept him from flailing too much, from angering the whatever-it-was turned shark. And to his surprise, and relieved delight, the shark seemed to keep calm as well, swimming slowly towards him, and lingering close by to give him a leg up into his boat. As soon as he was back in the dinghy, he slumped onto his back and let out a deep breath, unneeded, but calming. "Okay." He said out loud, not sure if he was talking to himself, or the shark. "Okay," he repeated after a moment, sitting up, "nice shark. That's... that's cool, it's choice, it's..."

Nate leans over into the water, finally talking directly to the slow moving shark. "You're not always a shark. You spoke, right? Can't speak as a shark though." Really, he's just talking out his thought's, feeling the need to fill some void with his own voice, just to keep it from being quiet. "Can you stop being a shark? No, I... you would've, if you could've, right? Right." A hand came up to run through his hair, pushing wet strands back out of his face with a well practised motion.

"Do you think you could help me, until you're not a shark anymore? Or, until sunrise?" He holds out the fishing net, feeling completely crazy for talking to a shark, but stranger things had happened in his life. He just had to roll with the punches. "You could scare things into my net. I'm trying to get a big haul."
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
The man's hands make contact with the slick skin of the shark and she finds herself remaining in place, thankful for her large size for the first time since she had been cursed. While he was safe in his boat, he didn't exactly seem to feel all that uncomfortable. Delta was more than ready to either attack in defense, but no harm the human, or flee as fast as she physically could. Luckily, neither of them ever had to happen as she was soon hearing the voice of a man who was working through all of this.

Nodding as well as she could, Delta tried to signal that he was correct and that she would help him... or was going to until things changed once more.

In a rush, Delta finds herself gasping as she shifts back into her mermaid form. Quickly, she adjusts herself so that she can finally look at Nate again. "I am so- so sorry!" And that's when she realizes something is up. There is quite a weird lisp to her voice, seeing as all of her teeth are now sharp and shark like. Not to mention that she now has a shark fin coming out of her back. Glancing over her shoulder she raises an eyebrow. "That's new."

Formally addressing Nate once more she lets out a sigh. "I will help you out as much as possible, I cant control the shifting of the shark thing as you can tell and I don't know how much time I have before I will shift again, but get that net out and I'll see what I can do." She offers him a soft smile in the hopes that he will just go with this and not question anything. Only when he gave her the okay would she begin trying to corral these fish into the net.

Delta rolled a 10 so she has partially shifted!
DELTA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
And the shark was a girl again. Mermaid. Whatever. Nate sighs, putting his struggle to the side for the moment to instead focus on the voice, while it lasted. At least he wasn’t the only one surprised by this latest development, if her words meant what he thought they did. ”New, huh? Glad it’s not just me surprised then.”

Luckily for Delta, Nate was absolutely in the mood to just move on, and not give the strange transformation any real thought. Maybe after he’d had a moment to actually digest it, but he was not at that point yet. ”Perfect. That would be perfect, thanks. I can... I dunno, split the catch with you? Must be tiring changing shape like that.” It’s a fair enough offer, he thinks, especially if her presence helps with his haul.

He doesn’t need to wait for an answer to cast the net out again, luck on his side when he manages to get it right the first time.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
The man before her begins to relax and her own heart rate slows down a bit now that she’s able to be partially herself. ”Don’t worry... while I can’t control the shifting, I can control myself in every form.” It was a reassurance seeing as both of them were a bit shaken up at this point for two completely different reasons.

When the man speaks back up, he had a special request to ask of her. One that... she could actually fulfill pretty easily! ”Oh! That’s absolutely no problem. And- you don’t need to give me half of it. Just one or two is fine.” And off she went, diving back under the water. It seems that Delta is extremely confident in their abilities to catch some fish.

With her motivations high, she begins her search for some fish. A rather large school is spotted and she begins to user it forward, darting around and flickering her tail. Hopefully it’d work... she hadn’t exactly done this without a spear before.
DELTA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Well, the fact that even as a shark the girl was in control was comforting. Kind of. Nate would still rather not have to deal with it at all, but hey, wasn't there some saying about choosy beggars? If dealing with a potentially random shark shift was the worst the mermaid had to offer in exchange for helping him out, then that was something he could deal with.

"One or two it is." He calls out, privately feeling like he was getting away with robbery, but the less fish he has to give away, the more get to sit on Sam's doorstep. Or the doorstep of wherever he's staying, with a very elaborate card that says For Sam. So he knows for sure.

Nate can't see what's happening underwater, the manoeuvring the mermaid is doing, so he just has to hope whatever happens is effective. He doesn't need to wait for long though, the net pulling suddenly, strong hands moving to pull back, to haul it up into little boat.

It's more fish than he can really believe, more than he'd be able to catch on his own, and far more than he needs. Nate moves to start sorting through them, throwing about half of them back, not wanting to use too many for his backhanded gesture of goodwill. And he waits and watches for the mermaid to resurface, questions actually rising to his lips now that he's had the chance to relax after the shark scare.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Thankfully, she continues to stay in this glorious but awkward form! Things work out her way and she watches as the fish swim straight into the net. Watching for a moment, she is able to see the net be pulled out of the water, fish being dragged to the surface. It earns a massive grin on her face and she soon pops back up above the surface and looks at Nate.

The grin is very obvious and she can help but hide it. She's pretty damn proud of herself for what she did, after all, and she is absolutely okay with hearing a compliment or two. "I'd like to say that worked out pretty damn well, if you ask me," There's a sense of pride to her voice, but also she is clearly playing around and isn't a total narcissist. Yeah, totally.

Hands reach for the boat and she tries to look inside, eager to see their catch. "Wow! Have you counted them yet?" There's an eagerness in her voice, clearly excited to see how well the two of them did.

Delta rolled a 14! So she remains partially shifted.
DELTA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Nate's dumped about half the fish back into the ocean by the time the mermaid surfaces again, an easy grin levelled in her direction when he notices her, his hands pausing. "Pretty damn well indeed." He rumbles, a laugh catching on the edge of the words. This had gone far smoother than he'd expected, even considering the initial shock,  and his initial failures.

The edge of the boat wobbles as she grabs onto it, Nate expecting the shift and leaning against it this time. Look at him, learning all kinds of things tonight. "I think there's too many to count, but I'd say it's," in a smooth motion, he pulls the net closed and loops the excess of it around his hand, lifting the pile of fish, "about fifteen pounds." Give or take a little, he was only so good.

He needed to move quickly at this point though. Fish only stayed good so long, which meant that this was only a nice act for so long. Other wise he was just leaving a bunch of stinking fish on someone's doorstep, which... wasn't necessarily out of character for him either, if he's being honest. But he's trying to be nice right now. "You sure only a couple is good?" He asks, feeling like he was ripping her off, just a little. Still, he grabbed a few fish from the bag, tying their tails together with a length of string, and handed them over. "How about I owe you one too, huh? I live up near the lighthouse, and I go by the beach there pretty often." A favour was not something he usually offered, but he was in a generous mood, and he needed to move.

"Thank you." He calls as he rows away, hoping to see the strange mermaid again. Hoping it wasn't merely a one time meeting, or worse, some kind of hallucination.

End~