foxes and hounds
for Ianto
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
"So would I," Juniper murmured. She blinked as Ianto suggested that he might shift back if he passed out. Was that how that worked? Oh, that would be bad -- she'd be flying back as quick as she could, and if she were suddenly carrying a grown man instead of a small bird ... "Yes, please do. I don't want to drop you."

Maybe he'd lose less blood as a bird, since he ... had less blood as a bird. Or maybe that would just make the blood loss more severe, since he had so little to spare. Carefully, Juniper picked up the cardinal, wrapping him gently in the scarf. She would have liked to put pressure on the wound again, but she was afraid of hurting the little bird. Once she held him securely, she kicked herself into the air and flew back towards the village, struggling to balance speed with the desire to give Ianto a smooth ride.
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
IANTO
sometimes love can kill a man
It made him thoroughly lightheaded to shift, so Ianto was thankful that Juniper was doing all the stuff that required arms and legs and wings. He chirped again as she gathered him up in the scarf, aware that he was still bleeding but unable to really investigate it at present. Finally they were taking flight, though, and Ianto busied himself staying conscious by peeking over the scarf and watching the snow whizz by below them.

When that made him too dizzy, he focused instead on the trees and the village that eventually came into view. Birds couldn’t sigh in relief but if they were able to, he would have just then. Trying to turn to gaze up at Juniper, he wasn’t sure whether she’d show up to a healer’s with a bird in her hands, or if she’d want him to shift back first. So he left it to her, just glad to be out of the woods (the spooky woods with arrows shot at him, anyway).
Coding base by Sky!
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper didn't pause to ask Ianto to shift back, figuring that doing so would only waste precious time -- and present them once again with the problem of moving him, since Juniper couldn't carry him. Instead, she flew straight to the healer's, bursting into their home with considerable more speed than she ever would have used on her own behalf. Juniper knew her people didn't like her, and rarely inflicted her company on them, let alone burst into their homes -- but she didn't care how rude the healer considered her when Ianto's life might be on the line.

"It's Ianto," she announced, holding out the scarf-wrapped bird. "He's Attuned, and he -- I shot him."

table by Skylark
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
IANTO
sometimes love can kill a man
Juniper got lucky, and there was no one currently occupying the healer’s time. That meant the Fae - an older woman with a soft countenance that could become hard as steel in moments - was free to accept the strange duo bursting into her place of business. On her feet to receive Juniper thrusting the scarf covered bird out at her, she blinked and listened carefully, before gesturing to a bunk behind her.

”Put him there,” she instructed. ”What kind of arrow was it? Have you done anything to try and treat it so far?”

Ianto chirped at the two of them as if to add his two cents, though of course he was in no position to explain or do much more than wait to be put down, so he could try his best to shift back.
Coding base by Sky!
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper placed Ianto carefully on the bunk, grateful that the healer had immediately taken stock of the situation. Of course, a healer would presumably have experience with emergencies.

"A hunting arrow." Juniper pulled an example from her quiver, showing it to the healer: a simple, barb-free point, designed to find its way quickly to the heart of a deer -- or fox. "One of these. They're not poisoned or anything; it should be a clean wound. I took the arrow out and put pressure on the wound, that's all."

The temptation to dither pressed on Juniper's mind, the urge to get weepy and anxiously declare that it had been an accident, she hadn't meant any harm. She pushed that desire away. That wouldn't help Ianto; it would just waste everyone's time. She could apologize profusely when his wound was treated.

table by Skylark
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
The healer nodded as Juniper explained, following her over and unfolding the bloody scarf from around the bird. ”You may as well take a seat,” she said, quickly examining the arrow head and seeming pleased to find no barbs or poison, leaving once more to collect her tools together. Healing magic would do the bulk of the work, but the wound would probably need bandaging and cleaning afterwards.

Ianto, dizzy and disorientated, had to take a second or two after he was set down to gather himself together. It was a lot of effort - effort that left him pale and shaking -but he did at least managed to shift back into himself. Given how tall he was and that they were in a Fae healer’s, it was a pretty cramped set up, but it would have to do. Smiling weakly to Juniper, he forced himself to focus. ”Nice flying,” he muttered. ”Thanks.”

Coding base by Sky!
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper sat, though part of her wondered why she needed to stick around -- she'd gotten Ianto to the healer; what else was she supposed to do? But of course the healer might need a hand taking care of him, and Juniper owed him at least that much. On the topic of debts, she really wasn't sure how she was going to properly apologize for this, but abandoning Ianto before his wound was even healed definitely wasn't a good idea.

"Thanks," she answered the compliment, returning his weak smile with a slightly wan one of her own. Yes, she was a decent flier; she was also quite a good huntress, to Ianto's misfortune. And again it struck her that his response to suffering was to try to make her, its cause, feel better. Maybe it would help to keep him talking, distract him from his wound. She tried to think of something neutral or positive to say. "Thank you for staying a bird."

That was just ... a little weird, to be honest, but she hadn't been able to come up with anything better. Socialization was not one of her strong points.

table by Skylark
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
Truthfully, other than the whole shooting him aspect, the healer didn’t really care if Juniper stuck around; it just seemed like it might have been the nice thing to do. Either way, she approached with bandages and a bowl of clean water, pulling up a stool to sit next to Ianto. Holding out her hands over the wound, she closed her eyes to concentrate on her magic, leaving the two of them to their sort-of-conversation.

Ianto scoffed, brushing coppery hair out of his face and managing to keep his smile, even as the healer approached. ”Any time. Sorry I couldn’t make you a coat,” he said, then slumped back to let the healer work. It didn’t take long, all things considered; the arrow wound healed, a dressing fastened over the remaining cut, and Ianto was pretty much good to go.

”I’ll get you something from my wagon as payment,” the merchant promised the healer, seeming a little more put together now at least. He shifted to sit up, tipping a wink to Juniper. ”And you can stop by whenever you want too. Shall we?”

Coding base by Sky!
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"That's all right," Juniper said, smiling back at Ianto. Relief that the healing had been quick and relatively easy made her face rather more open than was her habit, the smile brighter. "I'm sorry I got blood all over yours."

And speaking of compensation ... Juniper turned to the healer. "Actually, I think I should cover this one." To Ianto, she added, "It's my fault you were injured. You've already paid for my mistake in blood; it would be unfair for you to have to put out goods as well."

She stood with a nod, ready to leave -- assuming they didn't have to further discuss payment. Part of her feared that Ianto might try to argue her out of paying. And inviting her by the wagon -- she wouldn't have been surprised if he never wanted to see her again.

table by Skylark
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
”Coats can be cleaned, or replaced.” Ianto gave her a smile that flashed the gold in his teeth. A lie of course - he bloody loved that battered old trench coat - but it could add character for all he knew. Only one way to find out. Carefully sitting up as the healer stepped back, the fox examined the dressing on his side and seemed happy with it, rising to his feet as well. (He had to stoop in the healer’s house, but that was to be expected).

Opening his mouth to object to Juniper but wisely deciding against it, he could do little more than smile bashfully and nod his gratitude. The healer, for her part, didn’t really care as long as she was paid, advising Juniper they could sort out the details later, showing them to her door. ”Thank you for your help,” he told them both, winking at the hunter who’d shot him. ”Though maybe not for the arrow.”

~FIN

Coding base by Sky!