we're gonna need a bigger boat
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 14 - Int:
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
Every day's a little harder as I feel my power grow
It seemed she often found herself by the Isles, most frequently on the rocks. Normally, it was for people watching or for other mundane activities, but in this instance it was far worse. Something terrible rather than beautiful, filled with anxiety and fear that remained within her for what felt like days, weeks, and months, but had truly only been here for a short while. The voice was quieter now than at night, as the sun was high in the sky, but even then it still wanted her to go to the top.

Appeasing it was her only chance to have a break in her life and actually be able to think for herself, but even then her thoughts were purely toxic. Regret for trying to speak with the gods, questions of why this kept happening to her and what she did to deserve such a dark and terrible fate. It was awful and no matter what she did, her thoughts remained dark, either due to the nagging voice or her own self-doubts that never seemed to abandon her.

In this instance, Delta was nestled on some rocks, her lower half remaining in the water so not to cause suffocation, whilst her upper half remained above the surface. Her body rested against the rocks, allowing her to prop herself up and even lay her head down on her arms as she closed her eyes and tried to do anything but think about those dark thoughts.

Elias
Don't you know there's part of me that longs to go into the unknown?
DELTA
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
Elias
Elias's ship had docked, and they were spending their days on the Isles, searching out pearls, as it were. His men were gathering oysters and any shells they thought had value, as he took a break and wandered.

It was hard to get lost with men spread over the entire island, he supposed. Though they were still careful. When he caught sight of a woman, laying on the rocks. Frowning, he moved to settle on the edge of the Isle, calling, "Hey, are you okay?" He'd not yet caught sight of her lower half, concern clear in his tone.

It wasn't every day that you found a woman laying, strewn across the rocks. And his thoughts did not go directly to 'she's a mermaid', because he'd only ever heard rumors of mermaids.
I'm so tired of the shore, let me in, baby,
You're an ocean beautiful and blue, I wanna swim in you.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
A masculine voice called out and she immediately lifted her head up, hair bouncing as she did so. Searching around, her lips parted as she tried to find the source of the voice. Whilst looking, she called out. "Yes, I am fine." That was a massive lie, she was the opposite of fine.

Miserable would've been a far more accurate response, but seeing as she didn't recognize the voice she had no reason to be honest. "Why do you ask?" And then she saw him, a tall man with broad shoulders and neatly sculpted facial hair. Staring at him, she sucked in a breath and watched him. "I should be asking you why you're all the way out here, stranger." What was he doing out here? Maybe that'd distract away from the whole 'I'm on the rocks because a voice told me to be up here' thing.

Delta rolled a 5 and thus, remains in this form.
DELTA
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Elias
Elias tilted his head, shoving his hand through his hair. "You're fine, on the rocks like that? Doesn't look comfortable." He responded, to her question. She asked about him, and his being on the isles and the man chuckled, low.

"See, we're lookin' for pearls. Isles seemed the best place to go pearl-hunting." He explained, with a shrug. There was nothing there that gave away any true information about him and his, his men still searching for oysters.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
A light hum escapes her lips and she shakes her head after thinking for a moment. "No, not all that uncomfortable. It isn't super soft, but I have no problem sitting here." She has no problem with resting on a rock. "Maybe it's... a mermaid thing? I'm not really sure. It could also be maybe that I sit like this a lot." She begins thinking out loud, speaking mostly to herself but also trying to answer his question better.

Staring at the man, she tilts her head to the side. "I wouldn't advise searching for oysters that way... they're harder to find than just appearing at the surface." Her voice is light and airy, a sign of her not quite judging him or his men, more like she simply wanted to help him out.
DELTA
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias studied her, tilting his head. "A mermaid? Interesting. You're the first mermaid I've met." When she gives him advice, he accepts it and relays the information to his men with ease.

He settles on the ground, legs crossed. "Can you tell me more about mermaids? I've heard stories..." Of course, growing up in Torchline meant stories were inevitable, really. They had stories for everything, did they not? "But what it's like?" That came out a bit rude, but he was truly intrigued.

"What does your home look like?" Obviously under the sea. He doesn't ask why she's chosen this spot, he simply accepts it as something mermaids must do.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
The man relays the information, but not without giving her a special sort of response, one displaying his complete confusion. It causes her to smile, amused by all of his confusion. It seems she had met yet another human unfamiliar with the ways of the merfolk. This wasn't an unfamiliar thing. Honestly, she had only really met a select few who didn't react in a surprised fashion to the news that she was a mermaid. It didn't annoy her, far from it.

"I have no problem with that." Really, any opportunity to educate humans was a great one.

His first question was a normal one to be asked. She had been asked it quite a few times by now. "Well, it's kinda like yours. Our buildings are built with materials to withstand the water, but otherwise, it's kinda just the same thing. Imagine... a stone building but underwater." Well, that's what she could guess. She had never been inside a human home and only saw the outside of them from a distance. "There's tons of plant life and animals everywhere and it really is fantastic." That last little part would add on, showing that they had a very active world down there, not a pitiful excuse for a home.

A smile slowly forms on her face as she comes up with a special sort of question. "If it makes you feel any better, I've heard tons of stories about humans that I'm only recently learning the truth about, so you and I are in similar positions." There's a sense of amusement to her voice and a twinkle in her eye.

Delta rolled a 3!
DELTA
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias listened, closely, as she answered his questions. She didn't seem too upset with his questions either, which was nice. "That sounds so beautiful." He murmured. The ocean had ways to make life flourish, and the idea of an underwater city was... well, tantalizing. He wanted to see it.

He grinned when he told him that she's heard similar tales of humans, and is in a similar position. "That does make me feel better, yes. Can you tell me... do mermaids age like humans?" Just how long was a mermaids lifespan? He'd settled into place now, waiting patiently for an answer before asking more questions.

He had many questions on his mind, mermaids had been creatures of stories, told to him by his father, who claimed to have known one and... well, maybe his father hadn't been going insane from age.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
A small smile formed on her lips and she nodded. "Yes! It is very beautiful. The ocean is very beautiful in my eyes, maybe even more than your world. Of course, nothing beats a sunset, but I think that there's something about the ocean that feels so magical. You guys cant move upwards or downwards, just kinda forwards and back, but we can go everywhere... so of course it means our architecture is even more extravagant." Quite a little show off she is, going off on a mini rant about why she believes homes and buildings underwater are far better than land ones.

Clasping her hands together, Delta let out a sigh and she was clearly trying to think. "Well... it's a little hard to explain? But also not really? Um..." She trailed off for a second before her eyes widened slightly, realizing maybe a potential way of explaining how mers age. "Okay so.... yes and no? We age pretty much the same and to kind of the same ages, right. But how old you live a lot of times depends on what species your other half is. So... some species live a lot longer than others right? So that means they live slightly longer than you guys." It was a big ol' mouthful and Delta really doesn't seem to care as she is far more satisfied with her ability to explain everything so well to the human. Damn, she should be a human instructor or something!
DELTA
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias listened, chuckling as the girl told him the ocean was more beautiful than the land. Perhaps she was right. She explained that the architecture is different down there because mermaids go many directions, while humans go one or two... and he couldn't hide the grin.

Bit pompous, but also fascinating. "I'd love to see, someday." He commented, idly.

She sighed, and seemed to be thinking hard about how to tell him more about the aging process. And a confused look settled on his face, until she clarified. "Oh! So your other half weighs in on your age? That's so intriguing. I... if two mermaids have different animal halves, how does that affect their children?" He inquired.

Clearly, Elias was here for a lesson and Delta was the teacher. He'd even forgotten his task.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Yet another fun question! Well, fun wasn't quite the right word, but whatever.

Before she could answer, her body began to partially shift. Right before his eyes, a shark fin appeared out of her back and her teeth became sharper. A soft sigh left her lips and she visible shrunk down quite a bit, clearly embarrassed. "Please just- ignore that... it's not a normal mermaid thing and I'd appreciate it if you just didn't mention it to any humans." Ah yes, asking the human to not be a curious human and not to be a typical human who tells other humans things. A mouthful.

Moving on, Delta tried to completely ignore the partial shift and instead focused on the question. "The parents don't really impact what animal you'll be... I'm a lion fish, but my dad isn't." Obviously, she wasn't going to go into tons of detail. "It's based on your soul and stuff- er, I think that's the right words to use." Hopefully she was wording all of this correctly so that he could understand it all.

Delta rolled a 13! So she's now partially shifted.
DELTA
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias watched as she seemed to change, a fin appearing out of her back, her teeth sharper. His head tipped to one side slightly, and he shrugged towards her. She could have told him that was normal and he'd not know better. "What caused that?" he asked, instead.

She jumped into the question he'd asked, and he listened patiently. "So... it's not genetic." He furrowed his brow, thinking about what he knew about people that attuned. It was similar to that, then? He'd thought for sure it'd be genetic.

"That's interesting. Okay, so it's like when an accepted becomes an attuned. Their soul decides what animal they get to turn into."