there are whispers
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
JACK
The flowers were obnoxious. Huge jungle blooms that had no right to be growing at this time of year, but oh wasn’t it nice when there were people around who possessed earth magic? The bouquet, though, was really... extra. It was propped over Jack’s shoulder as he headed to the edge of town, smoke curling from the tip of the cigarette between his lips.

A little birdie had told him things. A lot of little birdies were saying a lot of things actually. Something about spitting venom and ripping arms off and biting off faces, but... well, if that had all really happened, he got the idea that Zeph would be dead rather than sulking in his house.

And he was definitely sulking, Jack would know that without telepathy. He kicked the door in place of knocking it when he arrived, squinting up at the windows through the pale sun. ”Oi, it’s me,” he called. ”Don’t make me break in.”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
we used to play outside when we were young & full of life & full of love
Has ever before a fucker as extra as Jack Barclay graced Rae's green earth?

Somehow or other, you doubt it.

You're pretty quick to open the door, thanks to Ki playing sentry on her favorite nearby rock. The chameleon pops an eye open at the not-knock, changing the colors on her scales from grey to blue to red in an attempt to get Jack's attention- and a better look at his bouquet, which she suspects to be crawling with bugs.

You, as said, open the door, taking care to dodge any kicks Jack may feel the need to continue landing on your poor house. "Oy, you tryin'a bring the thing down?" you demand, glaring into the sun. Your hair is disheveled, and the round on your face has begun to scab. Beneath the dressing haphazardly plastered on, puckered skin gleams an unpleasant red.

Eyeing the flowers you inch out the door, acutely aware that you have no idea where Red is. "The fuck's all this about? Brother's back in town." It's a truly impressive display, and you have no idea why the hell Jack would have appeared at your door with it, except perhaps to confess his long-held, dramatic love.

You wouldn't put it past him, honestly. But for all your irritation, you're glad to see the kid.
zephyr
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
”I might, if you ain’t answerin’,” Jack drawled, eyeing the chameleon as Ki changed colours, snorting softly and holding out the bouquet as if to ask if the flowers sufficed. Oh, but then Zeph was here! Jolly good. ”Condolences. Or a get well soon thing. It’s what people give to each other to make ‘em feel better.” Thrusting the bouquet at Zephyr’s chest, Jack raised his eyebrows.

”So there. You got your fuckin’ flowers. Now feel better, and tell me the fuck about this.” Taking the cigarette from his lips, he gestured vaguely at the other man’s face. ”You look like shit an’ you’re more sour’n a lemon. Who’s bullyin’ you, eh?”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Can Jack read lizard minds? If so, he'll be aware of Ki's amused approval and general liking of the captain. If not, well, he's being stared down by a lizard. A normal day in Torchline, really.

You raise an eyebrow at the explanation, grabbing the flowers on instinct. "Aw, hon, I didn't think ya cared." The dry drawl masks a real surprise and appreciation- since when Jack gave this much of a shit is beyond you, but it warms your withered heart a little.

And you'll hold it over him until the day he dies.

The flowers are left on the porch for Ki to investigate; you turn back to Jack as he gestures at your face. "You'd be in a mood, too, if a fuckin' haole stuck his knife in your face." Glowering, you scratch the delicate and wretchedly itchy skin above your eye. "Thought you had the 'Biter on a damn leash."
zephyr
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
”An’ I didn’t think you were reckless enough to get in this sort of state, at your age,” Jack sniped right back, blue eyes fixing on the dressing and the nasty look of the injury. Glancing to Ki as the flowers were deposited on the porch, he could only bounce his eyebrows at the lizard; a gesture of is he always fuckin’ like this? as if they didn’t both know the answer.

Tilting his head back at Zeph, the captain folded his arms across his chest. ”A knife, huh,” he echoed, already knowing it to be true. ”Not spittin’ venom, then? Not rippin’ off your limbs?” he asked, snorting. ”I thought I did too. No worries though - he’s already bein’ reminded.”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
"For your information, I was tryin'a stop shit from gettin' outta hand." The idea that you - you - were somehow responsible for this whole debacle fills you with a swell of indignation, which ebbs as quickly as it rose. The whole thing is a fucking fiasco; you might as well have landed the blow yourself.

With a snort you lean against a post, raising an eyebrow (the right one - Lefty's going nowhere fast). "Do I look like I'm missin' an arm? Nah, nothin' more'n my face an' my pride." Your hand transitions from scratching your face to running through your hair. "Thought these Outlanders were s'posed t'be stoppin' fights, not encouragin' 'em."
zephyr
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
”For my information, what exactly did go down, Zeph? Street rats from here to the Halenani are talkin’ shit, an’ it’s gettin’ more and more absurd the further through the city it goes.” Indeed, the rumour mill was churning them out thick and fast, which wasn’t such a surprise when the Arbiter was involved, but it didn’t really help Jack to sort the truth from the stretched kind of truth.

Grumbling, he nodded at the wound hiding under the dressing. ”Let’s see it, then. You’d be stubborn enough not to see anyone ‘bout it if it went bad. An’ yes, I know.” He sighed. ”The longer time passes, the more doubts I’m havin’ about these Outlanders bein’ in charge.”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
*What kinda shit?" You're genuinely curious; you know from living here for years how overblown and amusing the rumors can get. Started a few yourself, in the day. But the truth? Never even close to as interesting. "Nothin' excitin'- some'a th'usual suspects tryin'a start shit."

You shrug. "Tried t'keep it from gettin' outta hand. One'uv 'em tried t'deck me, I dodged. Shoulda been nothin' but the damn 'biter was standin' behind me an' got hit. An' Jack, the fucker pulled a knife." Your indignation with this escalation is evident in your lopsided glare. "On kids. Our kids. I couldn't let him hit any'a them-"

The glint of steel, the pain. You swallow and shake your head. What happened next is evident on your face.

His nod to the dressing earns a snort. "Got it stitched," you offer shortly, but pull back the dressing as asked. The wound itself is well approximated, appropriately red and swollen but without too much evidence of infection for that. The dock doc, as the woman is called, did a decent job. Not very deep - hard to cut deep on the face - and mercifully sparing the eye, but certain to scar your pretty face.
zephyr
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
”Anythin’ from the Arbiter spittin’ venom to bitin’ off your face to growin’ knives out of his arms. If you want the full array you’ll have to go an’ listen to them yourself.” Jack rolled his eyes, knowing Zeph likely just wanted to hear about himself (he would be guilty as charged in the same position). Hearing the story from the horse’s mouth - and it was a horse he trusted, at least - was reassuring though, and his eyes grew colder as all became clear.

”Stitched is good,” he murmured, leaning in a bit so he could properly examine the wound; Jack had people, obviously, but Zeph had been at this for even longer than he had. ”Gonna leave a nasty scar. Ladies will be crawlin’ all over you.”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Good t'know some things don't change." You huff a rare almost-laugh, shaking your head at the nonsense of the rumors - nonsense you clearly enjoy. Shoving your hands into your pockets, you lean against the post, letting the sun warm your dark, torn skin.

Another half-laugh. "Jealous? 'm sure we can getcha one to match. Must be a whole line's people eager t'stab handsome Jack." tTat you're one of them goes unsaid, as does the fact that you'd beat down anyone who tried. It would be bad for business, after all.

Your amusement fades as swiftly as it rose, and you rub a hand over your neck. "What're we s'posed to do about these fuckers? Raz was keepin' an eye I thought, 'cept now we got stabbings an' unhappy locals Gavin's t'move because the guv wants bloody canals all through town. Canals. As if we ain't got enough trouble with flooding, come monsoon season." Your distaste for the idea is obvious. crossing your arms over your chest, you grumble unhappily: "Gonna cave right into the tunnels, mark my words."
zephyr
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
”Oh, there are. Maybe I’ll let one of ‘em get lucky one day and they can take a real stab at me,” Jack said, scoffing back at Zephyr and already lingering on the edge of the steps now; he had seen that the man was alive and kicking, he had heard the story (in whatever manner of truth it had arrived in) and now he had more work to do. ”I got ideas,” he muttered; didn’t Jack always?

”The canals will be a good way to get our more elusive friends better access to Haulani,” he pointed out, obviously referring to the merfolk. ”So long as the Governor don’t dig too deep. If they do end up in the tunnels, that’s their problem.” Heading down the steps now he turned back to face Zephyr. ”You’ll be goin’ into the Fingers soon right? I’ll have a present for you.”
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
"An' if he does dig too deep?" Sure, the canals will be fun for the mer, but you still feel skeptical of whether or not that makes any of it worth it. Maybe it'll make some transportation easier, if you learn how to disguise things well. You'd rather not see things change so drastically, but you suppose you ought to get used to the idea. Especially if Jack's going to stubbornly refuse in joining with your commiserating. Spoilsport.

The present, whatever it is, is going to be something you'd rather not be given and cannot refuse- you don't need to be a mind reader to know that. You snort skeptically, jerking your chin toward the ostentatious bouquet. "Another one? Aw, kiddo, if I didn' know better I'd start t'think ya like me." An attempt to flutter your eyelashes only reminds you of how fucked your eyes is, causing you to curse and wince. "Better not be bailin' on me, Jack."
zephyr
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
Jack was a spoilsport, but hey - Zeph got some flowers and the pleasure of his company for a bit! That should be good enough for him, right? Right. ”If he does dig too deep then maybe we made a mistake in electin’ him for Governor, and maybe a real Torcher should step in,” he said, offhand. ”Maybe I’ll toss your name in the hat, eh?” Already off the porch and heading away now, Jack strolled backwards, grinning at the other man.

”If anyone ever tells you that, it’s a filthy lie,” he said, despite his presence checking up on Zeph suggesting the contrary. As for bailing on him? The captain’s smile was shit-eating to say the least. ”Would I do that to you?” he asked, spinning on heel to finally walk away.

The answer was yes. Yes of course he would.

~FIN