of gods and geysers
for Melita
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Arialla

"I got to say a lot," Arialla said, a bit ruefully. "But ... I didn't know how to react to her. She's not like the gods at home. They were straightforward -- they just wanted worship, devotion, obedience. And then they might answer your prayers. Safrin wanted to know what I wanted."

Arialla sighed, glancing around the fantastical landscape. She really did need to think about what she wanted from Safrin. Perhaps she could get Amalia's advice, after LongNight. If Amalia survived LongNight in the Hollowed Grounds. Gods, Arialla would pray for her.

But, also: "What's a tundra?"

A nod at the stranger's -- we really ought to introduce ourselves, if the conversation's gone on this long -- description of gods. "We -- ordinary people, not heroes or demigods -- considered ourselves highly blessed if we met a god once. Our oracles and augurs would look at the fall of leaves, at the flight of birds, and divine the gods' intentions from them, seeing their influence in the way the world came together."

please don't take my sunshine away

coding base by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Melita made no mention of her gods back home by this point – because some had been false, pariahs of trickery and deceit, making the world gather the things that held them at bay – then betraying them all. A world on fire, void of any spirits, denizens, or deities, sacrificed in a great schism and divide; these memories remained firmly in her brow, a nettled knot of last days and moments. Instead of mulling into it any further, or deeper, the light, slight smile remained, gilded eyes settling on the other woman. “A nice change of pace, isn’t it?” The honeybee girl laughed, a chime, a mellifluous sprig of some other kind of joy.

More pebbles were tossed and thrown, just to ponder over reactions amongst the surface, the pooling ripple curling along plumes of heat and color. For whatever reason she hadn’t anticipated the tundra inquiry – but then again, she hadn’t known what such a thing was before she’d come here either. “It’s like a field – with no trees or grass. Just endless snow.” Ice as far as the eye could see, until mountains and hills erupted from its flattened surface.

Then the youth merely listened again, eyes going back and forth from Fangorn, to the water, and to the stranger. Of oracles and augurs, of interpretations meant to signify a god’s touch, and Melita wondered over the movement of leaves and what it was meant to signify, a batting of an insect’s wings, the press of the mid-day sun. “Did you ever get to do those things?” Study, examine?
to be the sun
MELITA
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

Arialla

"It's a little unsettling," Arialla admitted. "Interacting with the gods at home was more straightforward. I have to figure out what to tell her when I speak to her again ... or if she's even the right god to contact. She suggested that I might have been looking for Ludo instead."

Arialla watched the stranger's pebbles create arcs and ripples in the multicolored water. Gorgeous. As for her answer ... Arialla had never seen snow before coming to Caido, and the idea of it stretching as far as the eye could see -- like the ocean, but frozen and white ... She had to marvel at it for a moment, but she accepted its existence. After all, the idea was no stranger than the place where they stood now.

"My god was a god of oracles, but divination was never my specialty," Arialla said. "I was still learning the basics when I was snatched to Caido."

coding base by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
The mention of Melita’s favored herald made her perk up from staring straight across pebble formation and ripples of color, gilded eyes flickering, riveting, back to the stranger. An animated smile hastened along her cheeks, absolutely delighted to verge along this discourse, where she at least had multitudes of experience. “I have met with Ludo many times! What were you thinking of asking it?” The youth had sought advice, wisdom, sagacity, and weaponry, things that seared and bludgeoned, and had given things in return – mostly loyalty, promises, and memories.

Gods of oracles – of knowing the future, of striving to understand measures of forthcoming, foreboding, foreshadowing elements would be an intriguing notion. What to do with the information thereafter would be something else entirely – how far to go to either not orchestrate means, to cease and desist, or to watch it all float on by. Melita wasn’t sure she’d be able to trust herself with such fathoms.

But that hadn’t been the stranger’s expertise anyway – so the inquiries died on her tongue. “Oh. What was your specialty then?”
to be the sun
MELITA
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla glanced at her companion, surprised to hear of the woman's experience with Ludo, though a moment later she wondered why she was even surprised. "Well ..."

For a moment Arialla hesitated, unsure if she should confide her anti-Voice plans to a stranger. But if Ludo liked this woman, then presumably she wasn't a follower of the Voice. "I told Safrin I was interested in fighting the Voice, and she said Ludo would be a better god to speak to about that. And ... she told me that the Voice takes the souls of the Ascended."

Was that supposed to be a secret? Arialla didn't think it should be -- better to have the information out there as a warning to anyone who might wish to become Ascended. "I want to help stop her."

A smile crossed Arialla's face at the next question, her thoughts turning warm with memories of her priesthood and Apollo's blessing. "Praise. The god like my hymns and prayers enough to bless me -- that was what qualified me for the priesthood. I kept the altar, sang the hymns, performed rites and sacrifices ..."

coding base by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
The Voice became the subject matter at hand – and she clenched her jaw, a hundred other circumstances unwinding along her brain. She’d been at the forefront of Voice undermining – her and the rest blighted, sickened, turned, shifted into some diseased, feral beings, no right or wrong, unhinged. “Yes, Ludo would be the herald to speak to.” A grim nod, since Ludo had been the one to ask Roana to murder one of the Voice’s own – and Melita had been cautious then too, pondering all the while, just how far vengeance wrought. “It asked another in previous years to kill an Ascended.” A warning, at the very least, as her voice quieted down, losing some hints of its previous enthusiasm; because Ludo could do a great many things, and the latter had been one of them.

“A lot of us do.” A smile at the corner of her lips, brushing over the anxiety, the apprehension. “One year a bunch of us were blighted. We got sick because of the Voice’s actions. Some Ascended just say it was a mistake.” A shrug followed, as if the stranger would have to guess where her opinions remained on the matter, considering the circumstances she’d been dealt.

Blessings and praise sounded wonderful though – like Melita’s prior God of the Sun, in all his illustrious haze. He was gone now too, another sacrificial lamb, and it was so tiring to think of so many going the same route.
to be the sun
MELITA
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

"Ah," Arialla said, a slightly sad sound of understanding and regret. She ought to have known that Ludo might request such things, of course -- and she could understand why. Robbing the Voice of her servants was a logical step in undermining her. But ... As fervently as Arialla might hate the Voice, she didn't want to kill anyone. She didn't even want to hurt anyone. Sabotaging a goddess was one thing; she was a goddess, not a person. Hurting another mortal was something else, something that Arialla really should have considered as a potential consequence before now.

Well, there was a silver lining here. "I'm afraid killing people isn't quite in my skill set. Though I'm not sure how singing and beachcombing is going to help fight the Voice ..."

Arialla listened with interest, her face darkening a little as she heard about the blight, which was new to her. "I don't doubt they do. When gods make mistakes, mortals die."

coding base by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Killing unfortunately was in Melita’s skill set – perhaps not people, but monsters, demons, fiends, and then hunting measures pressed so tightly to her veins that the notions and abilities were like a second skin. But the honeybee youth had never been asked to seek vengeance out so particularly by the herald, or anyone else, despite the desperate urges sometimes a rampant, rapacious claw in the back of her mind. That the stranger didn’t want to amount of these actions either didn’t surprise her – very few in Caido seemed to insert themselves into a bloodthirsty rampage. “If you consult with Ludo, it will probably give you some direction.” Melita had been told to at least try and clean up after Ascendeds’ actions, though lately there didn’t seem to be a terrible flux or tribulation.

Portals had been opened, but naught else appeared to haunt or savor. A lull, perhaps, or nothing at all.

“I don’t remember any of us dying,” she paused, her eyes tracing over the pool again while memories filtered and cycled. “But it turned us into horrific creatures.” Shapes of themselves, vicious and feral.
to be the sun
MELITA
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla nodded. Yes, she could ask Ludo for direction -- if she was certain she wanted to devote herself to thwarting the Voice. Otherwise, she doubted it would be wise to ask a god for a task that she didn't intend to follow through on. Then again, wasn't that what she'd done with Safrin? She really needed to feel more certain of her path before she asked a god for aid on it. "I told Safrin I would speak to her again after LongNight ... Though I suppose that means I'd better arrange another offering."

As her companion spoke, Arialla felt her lips draw back in disgust and horror. "That's awful. I have to say, the more I learn about the Voice, the worse she seems -- and she started out pretty low in my estimation."

coding base by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Sometimes Melita wished they didn’t need the gods at all – but that had been due to Kisamoa, his reign of chaos upon the rest of Helovia, false paragons drenching the world with oaths and convictions never meant to come true. It would be an ignorant, foolish thing to wander into a herald’s midst without some forethought plotting out why they were there, bending before a shrine, praying for knowledge, wisdom, or guidance. Melita had strived not to waste anyone’s time; especially not one of a higher power. She tapped on her chin, pondering, her feet bouncing against one another as she leaned back, away from the pool. “She likes pretty things. And to be told she’s beautiful.” Appeals to vanity, essentially. The girl winked, remembering her own events and circumstances. “If you go to Ludo, it likes games.” Trinkets, dolls, something to play with and enjoy. The honeybee youth had never asked why.

As for the Voice – the youth let out a sigh. “I’ve known several Ascended very well. Don’t let your regard towards the Voice put them all in the same light.” But the goddess’s actions had been ridiculous. “Just be careful and cautious.” The opposite of Melita, if she was being honest. But Arialla would find her own way, as they so often did, through either trial, tribulation, success, and triumph.
to be the sun
MELITA
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla nodded; that squared with what Jigano had told her about the gods. And Safrin had quite liked the necklace Arialla had offered her the first time -- though she hoped she wouldn't have to spend another season beachcombing to come up with a second offering. She really ought to find a proper profession.

And another nod: "I know the Ascended aren't all bad -- an Ascended was very kind to me, when I first arrived. But the Voice is a bad influence over them, I think."

Careful and cautious Arialla could do. In fact ... She sighed, looking out at the beautiful landscape. "I should probably be getting back to Haulani soon. But first -- I never got your name. Mine is Arialla."

coding base by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Was the Voice a bad influence over them, or was it the control she must’ve been able to muster? Did they depend on her for almost everything? Were they allowed a semblance of freedom, some ability of liberation, or were they tied and tethered to her forever? Melita found she’d never asked any of these inquiries towards the Ascended she knew; partially because she hadn’t thought them previously (too many other things going on, tangents to chase, adventures to be held), and wasn’t certain how they’d respond. With fury? With indignancy? With inquiries of their own? “I guess we’ll see how things go,” she offered, not much else to add; no contortion, no power, over the circumstances before them. Only the aftermath, and how they could recover from whatever came next.

Then there were impending departures, and the girl nodded her head, rising from the ground to follow suit. “Melita.” A smile broadened, not cheeky, not impish, but kind and genuine. “Nice to meet you. Good luck out there.” She paused, eyes flickering over the varnish of color again. “If you need me, I’ll be back in Torchline after the spring.” Hopefully, if plans along the Ark went well. Thereafter, the youth grabbed hold of the nesting, resting Fangorn, tucking him under her elbow, before hastening off with a wave.

{FIN}
to be the sun
MELITA