all the times that I keep holding onto
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Lonely shadows following me
Lonely ghosts come a-calling
Korbin didn't deny it. He was in pain, a lot of it, but... he agreed that this wasn't the way to go about it.

"It's... yeah, but it's more than that," he admitted, as he approached her, to close the distance again. Wary, bemused, unsure what he was doing or why. "I've had... issues, for a while. Controlling my temper. You're right, but I... I don't know how. And until a few days ago, I saw no reason to even try." Still struggled to accept what Chulane had shown him of paths and purpose.

"Have you? Ever lost control, I mean." It was a question this time, not an accusation. Korbin found himself turning the colorless seashell between his fingers in the pocket, desperately searching for something - anything - that would help him get away from himself.
Thousand voices dead at my feet
Now I'm gone, now I'm gone, now I'm gone
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:

Morgan
Korbin approached her closer again and Morgan let him, watching him carefully. It seemed that the moment of anger had passed, but it was also clear that Korbin was unstable at the moment and she wasn't entirely sure what to expect.

She didn't have much advice as far as his temper went; Morgan had always been in control of her emotions, able to compartmentalise and plan, to put aside: it was why she had been a successful Captain for so long. Now that he asked her about her own experiences in a less accusatory manner though, she began to think back to the one notable time when she had lost control of her mind, when she had let emotions take over.

"I was...young. It was just after I had returned from my time in the mountains and heard of my father's murder. I spent a week investigating." And turned up nothing: the thief had gotten away with it months before and any trace had long disappeared. "When I was unsuccessful, I went back out to the tundra. I was not meant to leave again..I stayed in the mountains for another year. In that time I was more...aggressive, than I had been prior, to the nature and life there. It is not a time I am proud of."

We knew that all this fun and games
Was another big fib to hide the chains
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
He kept his distance, did not invade her space more than necessary to hear what she said without shouting. And he did listen, with rapt attenion, something almost desperate in the way he followed her telling.

It was something he had been tempted to do many times in the past. Just fly off, go where the wind took him. But there were always things to tie him down, and he could never do it. Not even now; too many would try to stop him if he made to leave now. With LongNight approaching, where would he go? Would his wings carry all the way to the portal before he died? Would a mountain cave tide him over in the bitter cold? Even if he set out with the intent to live out there, would he be able to? Allowed to?

"What gave you balance?" he asked, tensely awaiting the answer. "You failed, and you returned. You're definitely in control now, so... what changed?"

He squeezed the seashell between fingers that were growing cold even in this warmed up room. It was heated for exercise, not conversations at standstill. Yet he didn't move, only listened. Hoping for something, anything, that might give him a clue on what to do with himself.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Morgan
Morgan couldn't help but feel pity for Korbin along with her frustration: it was clear he was desperate for some kind of answer, some kind of way forward; she didn't know how to tell him that with grief, it was often simply a matter of living through it.

"..It didn't come quickly or easily and still now, if I think of my father's death, I am angry and unsatisfied with what happened." She pressed her nails into her palm, sighing; the hot rage and unhappiness would never quite leave her, not so long as her fathers murderer was unknown and his body lost: even if she did solve the mystery, would that fix it? It would hardly bring him back. "The solution is simply...time."

After a moment of thought, for metaphors did not come easily to her, she ventured: "It's like being in a shipwreck. At first the waves are huge and constant; they don't stop and every time they turn you over. But..." Wondering if this was making any sense at all she continued, though clearly not entirely confident in her words. "..Eventually the waves get smaller and you have more time between. Other things take up space in your mind. There will always be things that remind you of Weaver and hurt; you will just find that they fade into the background one day. That is...the only real solution."

Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
It was not what he wanted to hear. He had been holding out for an answer, a method, some trick or ritual or - or anything - but this? Time? He didn't have that.

"I keep hurting people," he told her, like confessing this might make her understand how much he needed a fix. "I try to stay away from everyone but they keep coming after me, and when they won't go away... I lash out. With words, first, but... It's not just words anymore." A dead man in the snow, an elbow flying towards Chulane's head, a hand grabbing Delphine's wrist hard enough to bruise, a fist flying towards Loren's face... had that actually happened, or did he just dream of doing it? Korbin couldn't recall. There was a burned out husk of a house standing testimony to these violent eruptions, and with every incident something in his soul withered a little more.

"I don't want to be like this," Korbin said hoarsely. "I don't want to turn into that kind of monster. But I don't know how to stop. How to be calm when I'm not, how to keep everything in..."

She should lock him up. Better yet, send him away. Like this, Korbin was a danger to everyone around, and to himself, and who knew if anyone would be around next time he lost faith in life?

Maybe it would be better that way. He wouldn't tarnish Weaver's memory that way.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Morgan
Korbin continued to spill his worries as if she had any kind of further solution: when he confessed his problem though, Morgan stilled, concerned for a new reason. With the Citadel on it's knees she could not afford to let someone run rampant through the streets harming others and causing trouble. It was a little hard to believe that the moping man could be such a terror, but if he insisted... "Who have you hurt and how? You understand what confessing this to me could mean." She added, one last chance to back out before he damned himself.

Morgan's hand drifted to rest on the handle of the light sword she kept on her belt for emergencies. She wasn't particularly worried about Korbin beating her in a fight, but if this had to lead to an arrest, she didn't want it to go on longer than necessary.

Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
"Yes." Possibly he wasn't thinking of the consequences his confessions might have. Or maybe that was exactly what he was doing. It was a desperate move, but then, he was desperate. If he couldn't control himself, someone else would have to do it. Before it went too far. (But maybe that was already too late.)

"Chulane. I was drunk, and cut my head open on falling planks. He tried to restrain me to tend the wound, and I threw an elbow at his head. It hit, and it knocked him out." It had been reflex, and he'd expected the man to be able to dodge, so used to sparring rough with Weaver that the idea of not moving the head away was inconcievable. But he didn't say that, didn't make excuses for himself. Nor did he sweeten the story by explaining that he had gotten the man to a healer after. It was irrelevant.

"Some blonde outlander girl I don't know the name of. I was drunk again, and she tried to bring me home with her. She'd been pestering me before, and didn't leave when I indicated I wanted to be left alone. So I grabbed her wrist, hard enough that she flinched." She had slapped him good in return, and he had shifted and flown away after... but that was not explained either.  

Korbin's voice was dispassionate, neither blowing the events out of proportion nor softening the image it painted. The point was, he had struck first and left later, and it was growing into a pattern. And he seemed very calm, almost curious as he waited for Morgan's judgement.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Morgan
Hearing that one of her council had been attacked was certainly not a great start. Morgan kept her face carefully neutral, not displaying any of her alarmed concern. While both of the incidents were small enough on their own to be forgiven and forgotten about, it sounded like it was becoming a pattern; that Korbin was worried enough about that for her to consider it too.

She sighed. She really didn't have the guard numbers to fit him with a personal watch as well as Neron and she didn't think the best place for him was a prison. Perhaps it was time for some tough love.

"As Warden I am going to deal with this how I would with any other citizen." Morgan declared, hand still on the pommel of her sword. "You will be given a last warning. After minor offenses like yours, we usually keep a close eye on an offender: if you are caught doing anything further, we will jail you. After that stay, if you continue to harm anyone else, you will be exiled. Do you understand?" Maybe this was what he needed: consequences for his actions.

Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Korbin closed his eyes; sore, tender, never given a chance to recover between the floods. A part of him was rearing up in alarmed protest at the looming threat of exile. It was a reality check, a jarring, head jerking realization of what he stood to lose. That there was still something he treasured, even when Weaver was absent.

And it felt good, so fucking good to be treated like everyone else. He really was just another citizen. His sister may have been Warden when she died, and he might have enjoyed a deliriously happy week as official under her regin, able to throw himself into a job where he was needed... But Korbin never felt any more or less than normal for that.

Never wanted to be special, or cared for, or treated with silk gloves.

Drawing in a deep breath, and another, the world slowly stopped spinning. Only then did he look up, and mer her gaze. There was a relief in the blue eyes, a small measure of hope. At least if people were watching, there might be a chance to stop him if something ever slipped again. Maybe with this ultimatum looming, he would find a reason. A check, a safety switch.

Some people could only function under pressure, and his had been gone ever since he stopped having to struggle for the daily meal.

"I understand. Thank you, Warden. For listening, and... everything else." Korbin bent his neck in something akin to a bow. Respect, gratitude... for a wonderful, breathless moment all the anger and turmoil within had disappeared and he felt clear, light. Almost like himself again.

How long would it last?
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Morgan
Morgan was running out of ideas and patience for Korbin and waited to see if her threat had worked: if she needed to, she would easily carry it out. As it happened, Korbin seemed to look up at her with a strange relief in his eyes, as if he had wanted the threat of arrest. Strange, but if it would make him clean up his act, she would not argue.

"You...are...welcome." She said slowly, struggling to make it not sound like a confused question. "I am going to go and work with the council now. Stay out of trouble." Final warnings given she turned and walked away, shaking her head as soon as she was out of sight at the odd conversation she'd just had.

{FIN}