those that are come from the gods
Sam!
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Seren
I'm ready to start the conquest of spaces
Reaching the starlight and silver fields
Growing up was an awful experience, all in all. Especially the growing part. In Seren's case, it was much like an illness. Fever, aching joints, ravenous hunger and thirst that culminated in the horrible stretching of limbs as all of her being expanded. Breathed, stretched towards the intended form and function her mother had intended when she was created.

Her bones still ached with the echo of one such growth spurt when she slipped out of her bedroom window and left the house, only a note on the pillow telling Remi where she was going. The night beyond the comfort of home was dense beyond anything she had ever experienced, and the light from her small lantern was barely sufficient to chase the darkness away. Already Seren regretted her decision, but it was too late to turn back now. She had to get out, couldn't stand to sit around in silence anymore.

When the torches burning along the beach grew more frequent and the lights of Haulani came into view, the girl doused her lantern and let them guide her towards people. It was impossible to tell what time of day it was, but the revelers that filled the streets didn't seem to care. There were bonfires lit on the beaches, braziers burning on the street corners and by every diner, eatery and large establishment, and lanterns of every shape and color glowed in open windows. The air was brisk, cool, almost cold. And maybe it was the dark, the lack of stars, the stillness of the air, but everyone around her seemed filled with a need to make noise. To make life, and light, in a defiance of the shadows that pressed ever nearer.

It was quite overwhelming, and while Seren smiled and watched everything with wide eyed astonishment, she hesitated to join in. Filled with a hesitation, an awkwardness that was entirely new to her.

Was that part of growing up too? This intense awareness of her own self? Safrin knew she was not yet comfortable in this stage of growth; all bony knees and jutting elbows, and whatever the heck was going on with her chest. Let's just not talk about that.
Come with the night the science of fighting
The forces of gravity
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Samuel
Sam was dealing with a conflict of interests.

He had promised Zeph that he would try and sample some of the nightlife that Torchline's Longnight provided (even with how sacrilegious it felt, given the nature of Longnight in the Hollowed Grounds), but he also was trying his best to give Zeph some space, to not be his shadow the entire time.

This meant he was spending a lot of time stood alone at parties, if he was lucky awkwardly holding a drink. At least he got a lot of people watching done: he was beginning to recognise people in the street now, knew the names of a lot of the more prominent locals. With a lifetime's experience of watching crowds but being sure not to obviously stare, he was making a full mental list of notable Torchline residents.

The young girl caught his eye because she was oddly unfamiliar: not completely; Sam felt he had seen her before, knew of her - something to do with Remi, probably? But he couldn't quite recall her name. He glanced up at her between swirling his drink in his hand, thinking that she had a special kind of quality to her, one that he couldn't quite place: he could have sworn when he'd briefly seen her at the Festival of Lights she'd looked younger.

I drink too much coffee and I think of you often
In a city where reality has long been forgotten
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Seren
There was a peculiar anonymity of walking through a crowd where she knew no one and thought herself unknown. Ever since she was brought to this mortal world, Seren had encountered people one on one, in two'ss and three's and on very few occasions in a group. But always accompanied by a familiar face.

Here, tonight, on this darkest of eve's, she was alone. It was as thrilling as it was terrifying, and she found herself torn between a wish to jump up on some tall building and scream 'I am here, can't you see me? Don't you know who I am?' and a blistering, burning urge to disappear into a shadow. She could do both. Either.

But in the midst of her indecision, as she paused at the intersection of four roads where an impromptu dance had sprung up, Seren became aware of eyes following her. Pausing on her meandering path, she looked around, bright eyes flashing blue in the flickering firelight. Then she spotted the watcher. A man, she thought, old and short and rather thin looking. Like a withered strand of grass crammed in between rocks, generally uncomfortable with its whole existence.

But his hair was a nice color. Red, like Evie's.

Without preamble Seren turned and headed straight for the man, her shyness lasting only for a moment before she smiled at him, wide and easy. "Hello. Did you want something?"
The forces of gravity
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Samuel
Had Sam known the girl he watched was thinking of him as 'old', he would have been rather offended; as it happened he was only embarrassed as he saw her begin to walk over, clearly having noticed his accidental staring. He really didn't want to gain a reputation as someone that watched young girls at parties, was going to feebly tell her he was just zoned out when she did not come to chide him, but to simply ask if he wanted something.

"Um...n-no, sorry, I..." Sam tried to think of how to respond to this, wondering if it was meant to be a conversation starter: after all, they were at a party. The point was to talk to new people, wasn't it? Perhaps he was meant to respond with a joke or some kind of excellent one-line quip: neither thing was his speciality. "...I was ju-just...thinking I recognised you ff..fffrom somewhere. Um. The Fe-festival of Lights, maybe. I'm pr-probably mistaken."

Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
The man spoke funny, but beyond the moment it took her to get used to the staggered words, Seren wasn't bothered by it. "Oh, I see. I was there, with dad and Remi. My name is Seren, what's yours?"

She accepted his reason easily, and regarded him with open curiosity. This person was unlike most people she had come across. Something in the stiffness of his manners reminded her of Loren, except their manner of speech was completely different. The accent and his clothes were definitely unlike the Torchers that surrounded them; even Seren was lightly dressed in cropped shorts and a shirt she had stolen from her dad, with rolled up sleeves and the shirt tails tied off around the waist. The dark hair was a tumble of night about the shoulders, some of the curls lost as it grew longer, and her freckled face was tanned from much time spent under the sun.

But the real difference was in the way she moved. Free and easy, without hesitation, even with the foaly gangliness about her.

"Do you like parties? Have you seen LongNight before? It is my first time, it really is dark, isn't it... I really prefer it when there are stars, but the shadows are kind of interesting. It would be perfect for hide and seek!"

The young girl prattled on easily, only pausing for breath and to make sure the man had a chance to wedged in a reply. All the festivities around was making her excited, the initual awkwardness quickly slipping away.
The forces of gravity
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
With dad and Remi. Sam's eyes widened in sudden understanding, recognising the girl as the Safrin-child Remi must have insisted was not his daughter. He was suddenly self conscious, wondering if Remi was in this very crowd, if he should be talking to this girl: what if he learnt something he wasn't meant to, or said something wrong? His relationship with Remi was so on the rocks at the moment that anything could shatter it again.

Though as time went on, he found himself with less energy to pick the pieces back up - maybe that was why he decided to keep talking to Seren.

Sam certainly wasn't expecting the barrage of questions; he had to take a moment to organise them out in his head and come up with answers. "Oh, um, I-I've been through a lo..lot of Longnights, bu-but usually in the Hollowed Gr...grounds. It's very di..different there. No parties." A lot more death and suffering, but he left that one out for the sake of Seren's young heart. "...I'm not ve-very used to parties. Do you like th..them?"

Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Fortunately for Sam, there were no angry fathers hiding in the shadows. No one would snipe him for talking to the girl, and if she noticed his hesitation it did not affect her smile.

"Oh? What is LongNight like in the Hollowed Ground? Daddy is there now, he said he had to hunt some monsters to help Aoife's mama." Seren had never actually seen a monster, or heard much about the night within the barrierlands, and her slight frown came more from being robbed of her father's presence than any real fear.

"I don't really know? This is my first party, so I guess..." But the glance around at the revelers was doubtful. She had no food and nothing to drink and the dances looked fun if a bit unsteady. "What do you like to do?"
The forces of gravity
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
It seemed Seren was aware of the monsters to at least some extent, so Sam didn't feel too bad revealing that horrible truth to her. While he had grown up with the monsters and saw their existence as something almost mundane and inherent to his life, he didn't want to unnecessarily wound a young mind with fears. "It...do-does have monsters, in..indeed. They're ve-very frightening and violent. I've kno-known a lot of people who have bee...been hurt. I have, too."

Wanting to make sure she understood the seriousness of it, he pulled off the glove on his right hand: three missing fingers, now healed but still obviously taken off unevenly at the knuckles. "..They di-did this to me, last year." Admittedly because he'd stuck his hand in ones mouth, but he wasn't going to share that detail.

Sam could relate to not being sure if you enjoyed parties or not: he always felt stuck between an obligation to be normal and have fun and a desire to be home reading a book in bed.

"Um...I li-like to read, and write. Sometimes I go..go on walks, or I've re-recently started swimming in the ocean." He smiled, memories of that night with Zeph returning, the soft and gentle nature of it all and the waves quietly moving around them. "What about yo-you?"

Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Not exactly the most reassuring thing to tell a girl whose father was off to face said monsters. Seren paled, soft lips dipping into a worried frown as Sam showed off his mangled hand. "But... dad will be alright, won't he? I mean, he is really strong."

Thinking about herself and her interests when her dad might be getting hurt was a strange thing. "Mmh... swimming and boxing and tending my flowers. And I collect things. Shells, mostly." She sounded a bit absent minded, and gnawed worriedly at a stray lock of hair.
The forces of gravity
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
Sam realised just what he was doing as Seren asked about her dad; he grit his teeth. How did he keep doing this to Torchline's youth?! Maybe he ought to just stop talking to anyone under 20. "Oh, um, we-well, your father is a D-Demi-God, right, and...and Sa-Safrin is looking after hi-him." While it felt very odd indeed to be assuring someone based on the protection of Safrin, Sam was pretty sure that Ronin would be alright with the star Goddess' help. "I'm sure h-he'll be fine."

That said, Longnight often claimed the most unlikely victims...but he hoped that wouldn't be the case.

"B-boxing?" He asked, surprised to hear that, though he supposed it was probably a good skill to have in Torchline. "...D-do you go to...to S..Sunjata's ring?"

Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
The girl was eager to be reassured, and did not point out that Safrin would be gone along with the other gods for the duration of the night. It was enough to hear her mother's name mentioned; this was a quest, just a task like her search for a dragon. No way would Mama let Ronin come to harm. Right? Seren's smile was a little weak, but there nonetheless,  and she nodded. Willing Sam's words to be true.

"Yeah. He and dad are teaching me. We are neighbors, you know? I used to go there to play a lot. But he has been so busy lately..." And Nate hadn't really been out and about much either. Seren had kept away, trying to respect their need for privacy, even though it left her rather lonely.
The forces of gravity
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
Seren smiled and Sam was relieved: he hoped that might be the end of it. He had no idea whether or not Ronin would be alright, really; though he did hope so himself. While he had had an odd relationship with the man lately, he certainly didn't wish any harm on him.

"Oh, y-you are?" He asked, unaware of how close so many of his friends were in Torchline. "I su...suppose he must be busy be-being Arbiter, hm? Well, you pro-probably have your own th...things to do. Have you lea-learnt to read and write?" To most children Seren's age this question would probably be borderline offensive, but she had aged quickly like Felix and that God-accelerated youth had not.