Don't let the sun in your heart decay
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
And here we go, "Hello, floor. Have you met my knees?"
Sam sighed and nodded, stared out to sea and the sky above for a little while as Felix was quiet: sometimes he wished he had the ability Remi or Loren did, to just change to a form with wings and take off for a while, view his problems from up above where they would not seem so huge: he felt that being able to drop his human body would free him from the emotions it held too.

But he was an Ascended, not even really that any more, so he tried to drop the thought.

"Halo is c-cold." He confirmed with a laugh, thinking that was really the one definite thing you could say about the place. "I ha..have been there. Quite a f-ffffew times, actually." Sam paused to try and work out how he felt about it: he'd heard that a lot of things had changed lately, but when he'd been there he'd mostly found it to be a refreshing change and intelligent Citadel.

"...It's a ve..very...stoic place. Everyone is t-tough. I wan..want to write some of th-their histories, eventually." The oral tales told in the hall there had been fascinating, some of the best conversation he'd ever heard. "The Tun-tundra is deady, though. C-cold, and there's Ursurs...a-and I've heard of..um...Cannibals, too."
SAMUEL
Felix Calob

Age: 23 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: N/A - Strg: 15 - Dext: 7 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
are those real stars that hang in the sky? or are they man-made, a trick of the light?
Perhaps luckily for Sam, Felix is very much like a sponge. He tells Sam he thinks Halo would be cold just based off of how he’s heard about it, but to hear the confirmation in the laughter in Sam’s voice has him all ears, soaking up whatever he can glean. “Really?” He asks, some sort of awe coming over his face as he stares up at the red headed man from his perch on the end of the dock. But much like a good student, he settles in and listens as Sam continues, his dual tone gaze remaining on the other man.

The writing stories comment has Felix tilting his head a bit. “Why would you write them? Do you… Write stories and books and stuff?” He asks, having no idea if that was something you could just… do. But the mention of Ursurs has him nodding his head, hearing of the polar bear type creatures once or twice but never encountering them, never able to imagine them.

But he says something else Felix doesn’t know about and his eyes grow wide. “What’s a cannibal?
FELIX
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"Yes, really." Sam chuckled a little, finding Felix's excitement about such a simple of detail quite sweet. He wished he could drum up so much enthusiasm about things (or that he'd had the ability to do so at Felix's age, when he had mostly been trying to work out ways to stay quiet and hidden).

He was so used to being known as a bookmaker that Felix's question threw him off for a moment; it stuck him truly how much of a new start it would be to move to Torchline: that he could be entirely fresh here, a new man. That thought was terrifying at the same time as exciting. "Oh, um...I-I'm a boo..bookmaker and a Lores..seeker. I make bo-books for the Hollowed Gr..Grounds." Sam felt a little embarrassed admitting this to someone young and full of life, wondering if Felix would consider him boring.

Oh, but what wasn't boring at all was the subject of cannibals. Cringing, hoping Vervain wasn't going to learn what a bad influence he was, Sam explained: "Um..it's a pe-person that ea...eats other people. It's ju-just a rumo..rumour, so don't be to-too scared."
SAMUEL
Felix Calob

Age: 23 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
are those real stars that hang in the sky? or are they man-made, a trick of the light?
It really begins to paint the other man in an adventurer sort of mindset for Felix, as he stares up from where he sits along the dock trying to imagine what the Ascended might have seen. It only adds to the fact when he’s asking if he writes books, hanging onto that thread as well, brows furrowing slightly as he tries to imagine what a Loreseeker would do as well. “Oh.” He offers, lips pursing briefly as if he’s thinking it over before his gaze slips toward the inky black waves below again and how far they stretch out. “I’ve never been to the Grounds yet either.” He comments quietly, imagining that his mother might bring him one of these days.

But for now the prospect of meeting the people in the stories Vai has told him growing up keep him rooted here and excited about what the world has to offer. “Are there more Loreseekers? Do they do what you do?” His head swings back toward Sam curiously – until of course the subject of cannibals distracts him and he’s confused and wanting to learn more. Perhaps Sam might be a good teacher for all those strange things he has yet to hear of, being an adventurer and a loreseeker, after all.

Eats other people?” Felix croaks out, face contorting into a shape that seems to suggest he’s grossed out. “Ew.” He sticks his tongue out and shakes his head the equivalent of a few different emojis I’m sure lmao. And when his gaze lands on Sam again he’s a bit off put, trying to figure out why someone would even make a rumor about that. “What’s the point of the rumor… One like that?” He nearly makes that same disgusted face again, but he reins it in well enough.
FELIX
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
"Oh, well...the Gr-Grounds..." Sam wasn't sure if he could recommend his home for anyone to visit. While there was indeed beauty there (maybe if you squinted, in some places) his own experiences of Sanctuary made it hard to enthuse. "..There are som...some G-good people, there." At least he could say that much and mean it; looking out over the ocean before him and the solid, old wood of the dock beneath him, he was grateful all over again for Torchline and it's more definite appeal.

At least the Loreseekers was something he was proud to be a part of and with his recent night with Jigano having reaffirmed their friendship where it might have weakened in the last year, Sam was happy to talk on it. "Yes! It is a gu-guild, in the Athen-Atheneum, in the Grounds. My f..fffriend Jigano runs it. He's ve-very intelligent..brave, t-too. I just wri..write things neatly for the gui...guild, usually." Sam was perfectly content with that role, happy to just record and illustrate rather than embark on too many adventures. "Do y-you have any int...interest in writing or re-reading?"

It did occur to Sam, as he asked, that Felix might not know how to read or write, if he had only just stopped being two - he hoped he hadn't just committed a social faux paus.

He supposed it was good that Felix was so grossed out by the idea of a cannibal (if he was intrigued, there would be something to be concerned by), though he still worried Vervain was going to yell at him later for corrupting the youth. "Um, well, I di-didn't make it, so I don't know. It's pro-probably not true, so um..don't think abo-about it too much."

Andpleasedonttellyourmumokthanks
SAMUEL
Felix Calob

Change author:
He wonders who those good people are that live within the Grounds that Sam speaks of, but he doesn’t say anything in regards to it. Not as Sam begins to speak of the Loreseekers and his interest is peaked in that subject. And while he still imagined Sam as a sort of adventurer type, recording whatever he came across, Felix wondered what the rest of them did if Sam ran that main section of it. As for whether he has interest of reading and writing, he huffs a small laugh. “I’m uh, still learning a lot. But I can read. Writing is getting there I think.” He offers, fingers itching and running along his pantleg. “I only just started once I grew. I do like stories though, Mom reads me a lot of them.” Therefore, not long in terms of learning, but having heard them for his entire life he’d enjoyed it, wanted to often be those heroes in the stories. But progress has been made at least in his own attempts to read and write, and when it came to reading so long as he had time to sound things out, he could get the hang of those too.

But Cannibals certainly have more of an interesting image crossing his mind, one that he can’t picture no matter how many times he tries to and flips it back and forth all around in his mind. “That’s… Gross.” Felix says with a quiet huff of laughter. But then his attention flickers back to Sam, ever the greedy child for information, soaking up like a sponge. “Is there anything like it in the Grounds?” He asks with a tilt of his head, ready to learn more.
FELIX
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
As it turned out, Felix indeed couldn't fluently read or write, at least not to the level of most adults his age (though not everyone in Caido was literate, of course; was there a school? I don't even know). Sam smiled, tried to make sure the young man knew it was nothing to be embarrassed about, especially not in his very special circumstances. "Well, I-I'm sure your mo..mother is very good at read...reading stories. Keep at it."

He could tell he'd grossed out and fascinated Felix with the tale of cannibals and really didn't want to answer any more questions about it, but at least this one gave him a chance to deflate it all a little bit. "No, ab-absolutely not." Sam supposed if you wanted to get technical Ascended drinking wasn't that different, but he wasn't going to go down that road.

In fact, he felt it might be best to avoid any more roads, given how much he'd already said to the actually-2-year-old. Standing up, he smiled and reached down a hand to shake Felix's. "Well, I sh-should go, bu...but it was nice t-to talk to you. Tell your m...mother I said hello."

{FIN}
SAMUEL