closer than a friend, I can be your enemy
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
No, Korbin hadn't considered that. But frankly, it made no difference. "Then he shouldn't have done it in the first place. I never asked him to, and he is not responsible for me, or my health, or my life. I've told him from day one that I'm not interested in having him around, and yet he keeps appearing where I go. That, Kiada, is the definition of stalking." He wasn't alone in doing it either, which only made things worse.

Again he was told to get over himself, like it was something he could actually do. Korbin shook his head, frustration boiling inside all over again. "I've never forced my opinions or my troubles on anyone," he exclaimed, gesturing wildly with his hands. "People come to me, and I don't get why. They ask what I want and think so I tell you honestly, and when you don't like what you hear you start hitting me. What exactly do you want from me, Kiada? To roll over and let you all give me belly rubs and pampering like a good dog? Like it's going to help? Like it's not fucking humiliating?"

What part of 'leave me alone' did they not understand?
In loving memory of when I gave a shit
KORBIN
HALE
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
shed every skin that doesn't fit even if they call you cold-blooded
unhinge your jaw —
Stalkers usually don’t tend to make themselves known, Korbin.” She sneers back at him, before rolling her eyes. “I’d hardly call it stalking in a place as small as this.” She adds in a somewhat matter of fact tone, stepping back and out of his space as he towers over her, keeping her stance defensive just in case.

And then she laughs when he speaks, lips curling into that similar sneer. “I didn’t hit you because I didn’t like what I heard. You’re dangerous, Korbin. To yourself. To everyone else.” She hisses, moving her arms to cross them over her chest. “I liked you, you know. I thought we could be friends. But no, you up and spin it to say I shouldn’t care because we slept together once?” A dark brow raises as if shes asking him to challenge her again. “You always make it about yourself.” Another brief pause. “And if it’s so humiliating, do something about it.
— go for the throat
KIADA
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
There was an inordinate amount of running into even for a town this small. But even if it had been coincidence, it did not excuse the meddling. "Then why is it so hard for you to accept a no? I never asked for friends. I have said I want to be alone. Why can't you accept that? Why do I have to become angry before you even take me seriously?" For all the frustration in Korbin's tone, he was genuinely listening for an answer this time.

Why did these people insist on butting in where they clearly were not welcome? If he was dangerous to anyone except himself then it was only because they pushed him beyond his limits. He had never been violent before, never lashed out to this extent. Surly, moody, even rude, yes but not like this.

"You shouldn't care because you don't know me. You barely knew my sister. This is not your home or your people, so why should you give a damn? The only concievble reason I can think of for you to get involved in my life is precisely because we slept together, and.. no. That shouldn't be enough. I couldn't possibly matter enough to anyone after only a few drinks and a single night."

He shook his head, clearly not seeing it. Her reasons, whatever they were, lay beyond Korbin's understanding. This wasn't her home or community, his existence did not alter hers, it was just... another life in the periphery. One that didn't matter.

"But it is about me. My loss, my grief, my decision on what to do with my life. No one should have a right to interfere with that, but you do anyway. Maybe I would have been fine if you only stayed away and let me do as I wished. Did you ever consider that your presence actually make things worse?"

Korbin didn't try to pursue her again. Clearly she was done with the hitting, and he was a bit disappointed about that. It had been satisfying, in a way. A familiar kind of pain that would eventually fade. Maybe the only one that ever would.
KORBIN
HALE
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
unhinge your jaw —
She’s starting to get a headache, unsure of where to even start with this conversation. But it isn’t until he mentions that she shouldn’t care – for the umpteenth time – that she finally realizes she has a starting point. “It’s not. I’m sorry you can’t wrap your mind around the fact that people simply care for one another regardless of their interactions.” She keeps her arms folded across her chest, her gaze trained on his. The last thing that she can think of is the fact of just how selfish it all was, for him to be so constant about everything.

How dare I care about anyone other than myself. How dare I care for the people that had to clean up after the attack on the Palace. How dare I care about the guards that lost their lives trying to protect it. How dare I.” She begins, arms thrown out to her sides now, wide and open as if she’s asking him an honest question. “You claim to care so much about your home and yet you don’t care about them either.” Another shake of her head.

Then, a sharp inhale and she’s stepping back once more. “Everyone’s presence makes it worse for you Korbin. I hope you realize the mistakes you’re making when you’re all alone and nobody comes to your rescue again. And I hope that Weaver has a lot to say to you when you see her again.
— go for the throat
KIADA
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Ah, see? Another failure to answer a very basic question. Korbin was growing more tired of this as time wore on, because Kiada clearly wouldn't listen and if she even tried to communicate rather than berate it was lost on Korbin.

He flinched at the implication that he didn't care about his own people. That blow was low, and made his eyes flash all over again. "I cared enough for them to put their needs over Weaver's safety, and now she's dead because I didn't stay where I should have been. By her side. Forgive me if I don't consider them my top priority right now; it's not like any of them actually need me for anything that can't be done by anyone else."

That too seemed to be a sore spot. As Kiada went ranting on, something Loren had said before came to mind. "You don't get to decide who I care about." But he should get to decide who he accepted help from, and whether he wanted it or not.

"For the last fucking time, I don't need to be rescued!" Korbin growled through gritted teeth. "If I wanted your help I would have asked for it! But I don't know you, I don't trust you and I don't need you. If this will finally get you to leave me alone then it's not a second too soon!"

The hybris of these people really never ceased to astound him. Did the really think she could simply waltz in and claim a place of heartfelt care and trust in someone's life just like that? "I am too fucking tired of losing the people I love to let anyone come that close again. If Weaver has anything at all to say, she gets to start with a sorry for adding herself to that list."

Going after the ursur alone had been fucking stupid, and not bringing him along - or anyone else - to watch her back was stupid too. Now Korbin had been left alone, the pact broken, all promises undone, his world upturned... and this girl had the gall to stand there and call him selfish for struggling. "You say you understand what I'm going through, but I don't think you even tried. If you really did get it, then you of all people should know when to back off."
KORBIN
HALE
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
unhinge your jaw —
Talking and talking and talking, and she grows so weary. He wouldn’t see her side of it, and she wasn’t going to be able to see his either. So she waits, arms still folded along her chest, creating that distance and the closed-off posture between them, letting her gaze linger on his face and the bruises that would surely form, the blood that drips from his lip. “I will tell you this once, Korbin.” She says, avoiding all the rest of the conversation so far because it was just a back and forth of all of the same.

Do not threaten anyone else I care about and you won’t see me again.” It’s an easy enough deal to make. The only reason she was here anyway was because of Chulane and her own personal need for vengeance. So her arms drop from where they’re folded across her chest. “And I’ll give you what you’re asking for.” Besides, it’s not like she has any other reason to be here. She could be ensuring the Grounders are okay, that she could be in her room relaxing rather than here throwing punches.

Goodbye, Korbin.” She says, turning on her heel to leave, letting her feathers ruffle along her shoulders and neck as she fights to regain her frustrations to keep the avian shift within her.
— go for the throat
KIADA
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
"Keep them away from me and I won't have a reason to threaten anyone."

It really was just that. Talk. Words, that ultimately meant nothing. If she didn't want to listen then he couldn't make her, and Korbin would believe that Kiada really would stay away when she proved it. As far as he was concerned, she just gave him exactly what he had been asking for from the start, and acted like it was some kind of punishment.

He watched her back as she turned and stalked off. The goodbye seemed malplaced after all the traded insults, and he couldn't determine if she was still angry or actually upset. Strangely enough, it gave him no satisfaction to have things end this way. She had been one of few people he actually got along with, but somewhere between being stood up (could it even be called that, when he hadn't thought to pursue her again?) and his breakdown in the ruins of his house, everything had gone awry.

"I don't hate you. Or Chulane," he called after her. Not sure why. "You just can't help me here. And I have nothing left to give... except possibly the benefit of doubt. If you're really not everything I fear, then... I'll apologize. But words won't cut it to prove that."

He shrugged. Tucked his hands back into their pockets and started to turn away. Somehow he doubted that either of the two would care to even try.

---------

- Fin
KORBIN
HALE