On the outside looking in
For Vervain
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Between one thing and another he had somehow continued to miss the proprietor of the Rathskeller - one Vervain, he'd learned from Edy. But now that the cold had come to stay and he had no desire to live wild and rough any more than he had to, he was making himself find the time.

Jigano had done his best to polish his appearance - as best he could in the fallen-down world inside the Barrier. He was leaner than he'd been six weeks ago, but a little stronger, too. He was clean, his long hair brushed to silkiness and arranged in a complex braid, and his nails were neatly filed and scrubbed.

The information he'd gathered from a laconic Edy indicated that the woman he wanted to see should be around this afternoon. He'd warmed up his voice and his fingers as best he could in the bitter cold of Deepfrost, and brought a book in case his spitfire young friend had been wrong, but he had hopes that this time luck would be on his side.

Descending from the Temple to the Rathskeller, he strode into the bar with blue eyes bright and seeking, and a friendly smile on his lips as he looked around for his prey - and soon, he hoped, his patron.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Edrei, of course, had not passed the message on to her patron, so Vervain had no idea what lay in store for her with the appearance of the bard in her establishment. The afternoon was fairly quiet, so far - with the constant and unending snows, the evenings tended to attract the most business. People finished their work and needed somewhere warm, cosy and full of other body heat to stay warm as the temperatures plummeted further. So apart from a couple of lone drinkers and a man warming his hands before the fire, the place was empty.

Vai had just finished cleaning the place up by the look of it - the bar was shining, the tables were clear and the chairs ordered. Unfortunately the barrel store was still causing her some trouble. As Jigano entered it would be to the sound of Vai's colourful swearing, and she emerged from the back room with a broom in hand. Before her scuttled an enormous, spindly legged spider that was somehow evading the swat of her broom (somehow, because it honestly moved as if it was drunk). "And stay out, you little shit," she informed the thing as it scuttled towards a tell-tale crack in the wall.

A giant black and white blur took a lazy swipe at it as it drew close, but the gesture was for face value if that. Chunk - the Rathskeller's true patron - emerged from between two chairs on bandy legs, spotted Jigano and let out a soulful MROW to inform Vervain of his presence.

Vai glanced up, spotted the bard, and offered a lopsided smile. "Sorry 'bout that," she murmured, sidling behind the bar. "The bastard will be back - they always are. What can I get you?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The swearing was intriguing, and Jigano took a few mental notes of new combinations he hadn't heard before as he watched the door from which the words were emerging. Soon enough the voice had a face - and a broom, as it turned out. The bard wasn't particularly phobic of spiders, but he still gave the large arachnid a wide berth, both eyebrows nearing his hairline at its size and... unsteadiness?

Chunk was on hand to protect him - or, more likely, to entertain himself - however, and Jigano offered the big cat a nod a of gratitude. "Thank you, my friend," he murmured, even as the feline announced his presence with all the gravitas of a court minister. "I'll just seat myself, shall I?"

With a grin he turned to Vervain - from her appearance she at least matched Edy's description of the woman - and gave a more proper bow before approaching her domain. A glance over showed him a woman who liked to get things done, who might appreciate flattery - but would rather get to the heart of the matter than spend half the night dancing around it with pretty, empty words.

"If you're Vervain, I was hoping you could get me a job, actually," he said, flashing one of his more charming smiles. "My name is Jigano Silversmith - lorekeeper, bard, and general entertainer when it means a steady source of sustenance for keeping body and soul together. Would the Rathskeller be interested in an evening performer, by chance?"
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Vai grinned as Jigano offered his bow - she could sense a charmer in this one already. While he spoke she replaced her broom and sidled behind the bar, leaning her elbows against it and hearing him out. She was certainly dressed for business, in her customary leathers and furs, and her wild curls were drawn up into a high tail. Chunk joined her on the bar, nuzzling under one of her hands so she could scritch at the thick ruff of fur around his neck. "A job, you say?" She'd been giving away a lot of jobs lately, what with Edrei and Bastien, but... hells, the place was lacking the atmosphere that a bard or a storyteller could bring.

Flashing him a toothy grin, Vervain straightened up. "It would, in fact," she said, "but I'd be interested in seeing the calibre of performer I might be hiring before making any decisions." She wasn't stupid, after all. "What do you play? It's fairly empty around here right now, but I'd be willing to set you up with a trial run tonight. If it goes well, consider yourself our resident bard."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
She was pleasant, cheerful even, but not a complete pushover. Jigano's grin sharpened a bit in respect, sketching a briefer bow of acknowledgement at both her interest and her suggestion of a trial. Haggling was an art he didn't necessarily enjoy, but he hadn't been bad at it, back home. Hopefully some of his luck had remained with him, even if he'd lost so much else. "For instruments, I play flute, lapharp, and mandolin - though I'm afraid the latter was lost in my crossing. I can sing with or without accompaniment, and I can tell stories both new and-- well. I suppose all my stories will be new here," he amended ruefully. "But as I collect them from the Atheneum and the locals I'll expand my repertoire and learn the local favorites as well."

He tilted his head at her, letting white hair fall fetchingly over his eyes to complement his winsome grin. "What would m'lady prefer for tonight, then? Music, or tales? And do you have a personal preference for what type of stories or songs I perform? Soft ballads in the background, for instance, or rowdy drinking songs?" His smile faded a bit, replaced by earnest sobriety. "And is there anything you don't want here? Things that are too raunchy, or perhaps militant in nature? I will, of course, respect the rules of your house while under your patronage."
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
As he spoke with such confidence and ease, Vervain found herself growing to like him more. She nodded. "That's a shame, about your mandolin. But I am keen to hear your stories and your songs with that lapharp," she murmured, before shooting him a smile. "And a lot of us aren't locals either. I know my share of stories, should you have need." Granted they were mostly myth and fairy tales, but those tended to make perfect songs anyway, right?

Glancing around the bar as if expecting it to answer for her, Vai offered Jigano a mild shrug. "Myself, I am a lover of both music and lore, so both or one followed by the other are my preference." She laughed. "But it isn't really up to me. As a bard I am sure you're familiar with playing to the crowd. You do whatever you think will give them a good time. I'll give you a nod if it gets too rowdy."

The huntress snorted as she even tried to consider banning certain subjects or songs. "Not at all," she said. "I used to live and travel with criminals. I've heard it all and worse, and if I can handle it, the rest of this place will have to."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Gladly will I learn what you have to relate, good lady," he said with a smile. "I gather stories from any and all sources! And the mandolin, perhaps, may be part of my payment!" He winked, a copper coin appearing in between his knuckles as if by magic - in truth, simple sleight-of-hand. "If you're satisfied with my performance I'd hoped to gain such food and drink as this establishment provides - I don't much care to drink to excess, I'll reassure you on that," he added wryly, walking the coin from one end of his hand to the other. "But also I had hoped to be paid in information, if you could put me in touch with those of your patrons who may have what I need. Warmer winter clothes, for a start!" he chuckled, the coin replaced by a silver one between one knuckle and the next. "And since my money is not much good here, perhaps your assistance in negotiating some of those transactions?"

He tilted his head slyly at her carte blanche - but even more at her tidbits of personal information. Criminal companions? Music and lore?

"A moment then, mistress Vervain," he murmured, unslinging his backpack and reaching within for the well-padded little harp in its leather carrying case. He left the pack beside him as he set to tuning the instrument, humming his pitch-perfect keys as each string found its voice. When he was ready he looked up, a twinkle in his blue eyes as he stroked elegant fingers over the strings (the silver coin had disappeared long since). After a short warmup he lifted his voice and began to sing, his warm tenor filling the establishment.

"The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon the cloudy seas
The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor
And the highwayman came riding
Riding, riding
The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn-door..."
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
"Perhaps it will - though I do hope you don't expect me to make it for you." Vervain might enjoy making knick-knacks and other such like, but any mandolin she created for Jigano would not make a noise worth hearing. Smiling, she watched the copper and silver flash across his knuckles with visible interest, the huntress folding her arms across her chest and considering the strange young man before her. Sleight of hand she supposed was natural when he played so many instruments, but she got a crooked sort of vibe from him. She liked it.

A laugh bubbled up in her throat at the mere suggestion that he might drink too much, Vai shrugging and proceeding to pour him a small glass of liquor then and there. Dark and sweet, it was by no means the most delicate of drinks, but it would warm the Deepfrost right out of your bones. "Rest assured, Jigano, if you drink to excess you will know it." She winked. He'd know it by the way his ass hit the ground outside for being drunk and rowdy. "Food and drink though, I can manage. And you are in luck - I was a huntress by trade. Most of the food you'll eat was hunted by my hand, and I can probably get you the materials to make some warmer clothes. A seamstress though, I am not."

Vai nodded lightly, accepting of his terms, and hooked a stool with her foot so she could drag it up and take a seat in anticipation of hearing his performance. His voice rang out around the Rathskeller, echoing faintly in the empty spaces and creeping into the ears of those who were seated there - Vai's eyes widened and her smile grew, the huntress sitting up to further focus on him.

Chunk must have enjoyed it too, for he let out an out-of-tune mrowwww as the last lyric echoed away, drawing another laugh from Vervain. "Very, very good," she complimented. "And you seem to have gotten everyone's attention. What's the catch?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"If you had the skill, I would at least ask," he quipped with a grin. "But if you do not-- then I simply ask you put me in touch with someone who does, since this is the only bar in town. What better place to find people who may have what we want?" Whether they were willing to trade for it might be a different matter, but so long as Vervain could put him in touch with them and smooth that first contact, he trusted in his silver tongue to do the rest.

"I can sew, a bit," he chuckled. "Enough to mend neatly. But perhaps I can convince someone who is more skilled to turn the raw materials into what I need." Isla was a medic, she could probably set neat stitches as well as he could. But then, she was also a Duchess, so perhaps making clothes from scratch was a bit much to ask. But in a settlement like this there would be someone who could do it. And either they or someone who knew them would walk into the bar at some point...

His performance hit the right chords, both musically and emotionally he noted with professional satisfaction. Even the early-afternoon drunks were watching him with interest and a smattering of applause. He offered a bow from where he sat and turned back to Vervain with a shrug and a charming smile. "Two nights a week," he stated. "At least starting out. The trick is to make it something special at first. Draw people in when they know it's a performance night, because it'll be a treat. Then when there's an audience of regulars, expand to three or four nights so that it becomes an expected routine, and nights without entertainment seem to be lacking something from their comfortable expectations." His foxy grin was a little sharp as he packed away the harp with loving care. "If that suits you, mistress Vervain... when do I start?"
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
"I could say the marketplace, but you're right - everyone ends up at the bar eventually," Vervain agreed, pouring herself a small measure of liquor as well and taking a sip of it. It burned on the way down and warmed her chest throughout, and she swatted Crunch away from it before rising to her feet again. The feline would have the liquor under the pretense of it being poisoned, and she wasn't stupid.

She raised her eyebrows, pleasantly surprised to hear that he could sew, smirking at him. "Maybe together we can stitch something half decent to last you through the colder months, then," she suggested, though she only intended to supply him with the leather and fur. "And if you can find another, then it might even be more than half decent."

He really was a wily one, and she matched his grin with one equally as sharp. Nodding, she leant an elbow on the bar and slid his drink across to him. "That suits me just fine. And call me Vai - you start tonight."

{END THREAD}