second watch (open)
Probably open to monsters but ok
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
AmaLIa
shield of safrin
The lightning sends her sprawling forward, bumping into the man before her hands land on the ground. A jolt of agony shoots up her left wrist as muscles are stretched beyond their natural limits; in the moment she scarcely registers it, full of adrenaline as she is, but later it will hurt like an almighty bitch.

More urgent is the knife that flashes in the starlight, wicked and too fast for the Shield to evade. Sluggish from the electricity and dazed from the fall, she takes the steel to her side, a gash opening over her ribs on the right side. Not too deep, but it quickly begins to bleed, red seeping into her shirt.

"Stop!" Voice tight with anger and pain, Amalia attempts to grab the man's hand before he can land another blow and wrap her arms around him, hoping to subdue him long enough to drag him somewhere indoors. We need to get him out of the dark, she replies in silence to Ronin. Then her eyes catch on the bundle, and it feels like a punch to the gut. Is that...? Oh, Safrin, no.
you can't choose what stays
and what fades away
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
the wounds are open and bleeding out
It was the strike at Amalia that jolted Ronin into action - finally. The monster whispered sweetly into his ear, the man choked and lashed out with his knife, and nothing was getting any better. Cringing away from the small, sorry body of the tiny girl, he nodded - and already the light within him grew fiercer, stronger. I told you, he said sadly. Close your eyes, this will be bright. But it will help, I hope.

How she would react to his supernova was quite beyond Ronin, given how he had previously seen her react to the power he wielded, but there was no other choice. They needed time and space, and for Amalia to be not stabbed, and so the Star unleashed the blast not a moment too soon. It blinded the area with starlight, hopefully driving the monsters back and soothing their injuries at the same time.

THE
DARK STAR

Table coding by Sky

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
do not stand at my grave and weep;
i am not there. i do not sleep
Black sludge oozed from the man's mouth as darkness clutched at his insides just as surely as invisible hands clutched at his throat. His face darkened, eyes bulging horribly as he drew blood from Amalia. There was no accompanying look of satisfaction however. The last thing Ronin and Amalia would see, if they looked as Ronin's supernova expanded in star-bright brilliance, was the father's head snapping to the side. The click of his neck breaking was eaten up by the roar of energy the Star's blast created, but somehow it echoed ever more loudly for all the noise.

Wound healed, when Ronin and Amalia were able to see again, they'd be left with two dead bodies and the weighty smugness of the darkness lingering all around them.
do not stand at my grave and cry;
i am not there, i did not die
LONGNiGht
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
AmaLIa
shield of safrin
Fucking Mort.

The starlight. The nova. The man dying in her arms. It's enough to nearly drive her to the brink. In the motes that float before her eyes in the moments after Ronin's blast Amalia sees those familiar images that haunt her nightmares brought to vivid life. The temple crashing, her friend's murderous expression, the pain of the rocks upon her legs-

"No!" It's in response to the nova, and to the dead man, and to the memories, and to the dark. It's in response to the world they live in and its injustice, and to the fact that it could have been different. It's in response to this latest failure, another loss she cannot abide.

Dropping the body Amalia desperately runs her hands over the man, looking for wounds, for a heartbeat, for something. "Fuck!" she snarls, fury and failure blinding her eyes with tears as she glares into the dark. "Why? Why? WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF THIS?"
and what fades away
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
”I’m sorry.” Ronin’s voice was a quiet and broken thing; he was sorry for Amalia, sorry for the man and his child, sorry for the supernova, sorry for being outside in Longnight. All of it. He had seen enough death now that he was almost glad that the poor father had been put out of his misery; the only hard part was that the bodies would be gone come Flowerbirth, as they always were.

But they were not out of the woods yet. As Amalia’s curses hit the air Ronin reached out, trying to grasp her hands, to make her look at him rather than at the madness all around. ”We go. Back to the Temple, come on. I’ve scouted these streets and no one else has been around, we need to leave.” Already he was trying to get them on their feet, legs shaking.

THE
DARK STAR

Table coding by Sky

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Are you breaking your promise again? monster!Aoife asks in a pleading and wounded voice.

Ahead, just at the outside of the light cast by Ronin and Amalia, a figure cries out. It's a boy of perhaps only 8 or 9. Is he real? Is he a phantom? It's impossible to tell of course, which is precisely the point.

"I...he d--d-dared me. But now I'm scared. C..a.an...you show me the way back?" Extending a trembling hand, the boy doesn't dare to move. If the pair look close enough, they'll see a large wet stain on the front of his trousers, that his fumbling hands have desperately been trying to hide.
LONGNiGht
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AmaLIa
shield of safrin
We can't just leave them here! Angry, desperate to do something right, to save someone, Amalia scarcely registers Ronin's hands on hers. She's reaching for the small, dead child, for the man, for anything she can salvage of this disaster-

-And then a voice comes from the dark, and the Shield's head snaps up.

A boy, too young to be out alone, too young to see any of this. The Shield glances over at Ronin, knowing this may well be a trick and not caring despite it. Scrambling to her feet, Amalia steps forward, bringing luxere and qilin light closer to the child and reaching to take his hand, to pull him close to her. "Of course- of course we will. It's going to be okay. We'll get you somewhere safe."
and what fades away
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Fuck. Fuck it all. Fuck!

Ronin could feel it, the way the dark and the monsters were beginning to fray him at the seams. The tricks they played, the appearance of another maybe-victim... Amalia stepped away and he could do nothing more than put his head in his hands, letting out a shuddering breath.

We can’t take the bodies with us, they’ll be too heavy. The boy may not even be real, he said helplessly, still slumped on his knees among the corpses. But there was no reprieve, no help - nothing to do but move forward.

Looking up, expression made all the more gaunt by the light that pooled around him, he beckoned for the two of them. ”Come on. Everyone into the light, we’ll move as quick as we can.”

THE
DARK STAR

Table coding by Sky

Change author:
The boy indeed seems to be real, given that he doesn't shy away from the light offered. Shaking and shivering with fear as much as the child, he clutches onto Amalia's leg and peers up at her with worried and terrified eyes. "P...lease..I'm so sorry. I..I thought it would be okay.." The child mewled, large tears forming in his eyes.

You always gave me a chance daddy, so I'll give you one more. You promised to stay...I'll let them go if you stay here. monster!Aoife sang from the shadows. Invisible hands, just like the ones who had previously been choking the now-dead father, gripped the boy's throat. Clawing at his neck, he looked up towards Amalia with bright panic.
LONGNiGht
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AmaLIa
shield of safrin
The boy comes into her arms, corporal and tangible and mercifully so, not a trick of the dark. Though that isn't to say the dark is not playing tricks on him. Clutching the lad against her leg Amalia closes her eyes, reluctant to agree with Ronin's assessment but knowing that he's right. They have to get the living to safety before they can save the dead. A beat of frustration ticks within her - she'd thought Jigano would be here, ferrying these souls, and yet the Sage has been absent through the night.

Another question for another time. Right now she has her own soul to save. "We'll take him to the temple. What's your name? Where did you- Mort!"

The panic in his eyes is unmistakable, a fear and pain Amalia knows she has no ability to fight. Still she tries, dropping down to his level again and thrusting her staff out toward him, to heal and for him to grab. "Take this! It's going to be okay. I'm going to get you to safety." Panicked eyes turn to Ronin in a silent plea for help. She cannot be made a liar, not again.
and what fades away
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
There was hardly any time before there would be another child’s blood on his hands, and Ronin didn’t realise he’d been biting the inside of his mouth until he tasted iron. The light pooled around them and made absolutely no difference; the boy still choked and Amalia gazed at him with enough heartbreak in her eyes to shatter him completely.

”Go.” He nodded to her gently, as if to tell her it was okay - as if to demand that she heeded his words, because he was not shouting or panicking, because he was calm and determined. ”Go to the Temple. Save the boy. I’ll see you out there,” he said.

Slowly, he rose to his feet, eyes closing, the light from his antlers growing brighter and more steady. ”Let them go,” he said to the monstrous voice of his daughter. ”And I’ll stay. But I won’t put my light out. That’s the deal.”

THE
DARK STAR

Table coding by Sky

Change author:
There is a long tense moment of silence, broken only by the sounds of the boy's muffled sobs as he fought to breathe. In a rush he sucks in a breath, wailing and clutching Amalia frantically. His pleas and promises of utter contrition are lost in a series of hiccups.

Tell me your favourite memory of me, daddy. monster!Aoife sings from the shadows, her voice childlike and delicate once again.

Amalia will indeed make it back to the Temple without a problem. The boy won't speak for days other than to mumble endlessly that it was just a game...that he didn't know...

~FIN
LONGNiGht