so much is still unknown
Open!
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
after all is said and done
you're just a carnivore
let you in and drink my blood
you're nothing but a monster

She’d thought, perhaps mistakenly, that someone else might have filled Letha in on the history of the Ascended here. There are intricacies not everyone is privy to, but the basic facts remain the same. So when she asks, Wessex gives her a bit of a funny look. “How much do you know about the Ascended and The Voice?” she replies with a curious tilt of her head. Not knowing would explain the many questions, the cautious way she acts around the blonde matriarch.

The Wraith doesn’t mind giving a history lesson, not at all. If anything, it’s her specialty. And if her hunch is right, they’re about to settle in for storytime.
Letha Úlfurdur

Age: 32 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 11 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
There were only two reasons Letha had, confirmed, that the world was disinclined to accept the Ascended: the meeting to discuss the destroying of the Longnight monsters, and her meeting with Seren. The young demi-goddess had been so keen on the idea that she was bad, that the Ascended were bad, because her mother had told her so. Letha was, unfortunately, completely ignorant to the history of the world. "Not enough." She admitted. "I've really only been told what it means that I am ascended, and how the other Ascended function in the "family". I don't know anything about our history....other than that the Longnight monsters were once what we are, in a sense." That last part had been told to her and the others by Wessex herself.

Wessex probably wasn't sure what she was getting herself into when it came to educating the curious Letha, but the younger woman wanted to know, needed to know, if she were going to be able to function as a part of her race as a whole.

L e t h a

Where will I find peace other than in oblivion?
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

“Ahhhh, okay,” Wessex says with a smile, settling down on a stone wall at the edge of Haulani. The port lays before them, dark and quiet other than the drunkards and the water lapping at the boats and docks. “Have a seat, then. This might take awhile.”

Where to begin? At the very beginning? That might be too far, but perhaps she can abridge some of it. “I’ll try to give you the short but important version. Three hundred or so years ago, the Old Gods imprisoned the Voice in the Spire in the Hollowed Ground. They put a magical barrier around it to keep her in, effectively cutting my people off from the rest of the world. Before that, she had connected Caido with portals, she’d done things that challenged the Gods, gathered enough power to transform herself from an Acquired - what we now call Abandoned - to what she is now.” She was once human, once mortal. Hence, the New part of that distinction.

“Fast forward to three years ago, when Outlanders began arriving en masse. She pulled them here from their own worlds - like she pulled you - in an effort to try and free herself from her prison. That’s about the time when I Ascended and myself and a few others were able to open the Spire. It was a controversial move. The Old Gods told their followers to stop it, but they couldn’t - they couldn’t convince everyone not to try and take the barrier down, because they’d all experienced life in that cage, and it was terrible.” Her gaze goes a little distant as she recalls what life was like before, memory zooming through all the horrible moments of her life, all because of the cage the Old Gods put them in.

“And the Old Gods will say it was necessary, that they had to put us in the cage to stop the voice. But then they disappeared leaving the heralds in their place, and the heralds are… a fickle, petty bunch. They wouldn’t help us when we were dying from illness or starvation. No amount of prayers or offerings could change our misery. Anyway, once the barrier came down, the Voice told the Ascended to explore, so that she could see what we see.” Wessex grimaces a bit, hating this part of the story.

“And I’m not sure if it was for revenge or an accident, but everywhere we went, a magical Blight followed. It affected people and plants alike, poisoning the Greatwood and turning our friends mad. We didn’t know it would happen, didn’t know we were spreading it, but they’ve never let us forget it. Even though no one died, and plants are struck by blights and fungus and bugs all the time, it was understandably a traumatic experience. So they fear another blight, despite the Voice saying she’s fixed that bug and our assurances that it won’t happen. Every time we enter a new part of Caido, the story goes with us, along with a few others.”

Here she pauses, wondering if it’s enough for Letha or if the girl wants to know more. And so Astor doesn’t write a novel in one go.
Letha Úlfurdur

Age: 32 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Letha listened to Wessex like she had never done before. Her attention could not be moved by even a disaster at this point, it seemed. Blue eyes did not leave the Wraith as she wove the tale for the much younger, much more ignorant sister. If she had needed to breathe, she would have been holding her breath. The lives that the Ascended had lived, the history they walked through, it was tumultuous. There was so much involved that Letha was not even slightly privy to (save for maybe that she knew other races were wary of the Ascended).

Letha's face was neutral as she listened, but there was some surprise to what she gained. The Voice had been mortal, once. Wessex had only been Ascended within the last few years. The outlanders were brought here to help the Voice. She nodded. Within her, while she listened to the short-haired woman, a spark of hope surged and pulsed. She was an outlander, brought here by the Voice herself, because the goddess knew something within Letha could be great. It was a mere flutter, that hope, but it made life here suddenly all the bit easier. In time, though, that expectation would probably grow heavy and as unbearable as all other expectations on her had been before. Letha never measured up.

When Wessex stopped, Letha nodded again. "Thank you." It was all she could manage to say, and it felt inadequate. Wessex had just spent this time being questioned by her, and given her so much information, and all Letha had for her was a simple thanks. It was audacious, really. She lifted a hand to tuck a lock of dark hair behind her ear. "That is...very helpful." She rolled her shoulders back and looked out at the sea, the faintest line of sunrise just barely tipping up over the horizon. "I am sorry that I questioned you. Your actions."

L e t h a

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

Good. The Wraith smiles in response to the thanks and starts to wave the rest of it off. “Don’t be sorry, I know it looked sketchy as fuck.” She was breaking and entering, she was quite secretive about it and didn’t offer a full explanation - she still hasn’t, if anyone’s keeping track.

“So that’s the basics. I have a lot of… complicated relationships because of all that.” To say the least. After LongNight they would only become more complicated. “So when in doubt, blame me for something. That’s what I’m here for.” She manages to say this quite jovially, but there’s some underlying… something. Like she has to atone for all the mistakes she’s made by protecting them. The constant tightrope balance of seeking power and not pissing too many people off is exhausting. Difficult. She makes mistakes.

“I hope you fare better.” She offers Letha a small smile and a pat on the knee, if it doesn’t seem to awkward. Of course that's all up to the girl, herself. And Wessex doesn't know much about her yet. Time would have to tell. “Any more questions? Since we’re here.”
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
Letha felt sorry, because somewhere, her loyalty could be questioned. Letha was young -- the age reflected in this world not totally matched up with the age and experience of her previous life. She had so much to learn about the world, that was certain, btu what Letha did know was how to operate in a family. Letha would never have questioned her Ma's actions -- not that Wessex was her mother, but it seemed she was the head of their family. So why had Letha questioned her? Somewhere, deep, it was still a matter of this question: did Letha trust her fellow Ascended?

However, as the Wraith gives her furthered explanation, Letha's face contorts quizzically. Essentially, the woman was holding all of the responsibility of the blight of their people. That hit Letha in a way she didn't expect, making her guilt for questioning the woman swell bigger and bigger within her. If Wessex was willing to take blame -- responsibility -- for things that she might not directly have to, then how dare Letha question her? Ocean eyes dropped away from the Wraith and towards the water, lapping gently before them. She felt Wessex's hand on her knee, then, and looked up to the woman just in time to catch the briefest of smiles.

Relief tingled and touched the swelling guilt, and Letha let her shoulders relax and her head shake. "I think that's all the information I can manage for one day."

--

FINISHED

L e t h a