When the wind blows
open
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Seren
I'm ready to start the conquest of spaces
Reaching the starlight and silver fields
The girl gave Wessex a funny look, but seemed willing to swallow the not-truth, choosing to move on without asking more about it. There experiments to do, secrets to unravel, and Seren watched the roof closely as she was instructed.

Suddenly, the woman was standing on it. The child blinked. Looked beside herself. Nothing. Back to the roof; and slowly excitement grew in her as her mind caught up with the staggering possibilities this simple trick enabled.

Whooping in astonished delight, Seren jumped on the spot and waved at Wessex, clearly thrilled by the display. Bragging right acquired; that trick was good.
Come with the night the science of fighting
The forces of gravity
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
the wraith
When Seren begins to return her wave, Wessex continues for a few seconds before disappearing again, returning to the girl’s side in no time at all. Though it’s no big feat to impress a child, the exuberant display of approval has the Wraith grinning to ear to ear, pleased as punch. “So?” she asks with a long intonation. “What do you think?” Throwing her arms open, the older demigoddess gestures to the air around her. “Not quite like flying, but pretty cool, yeah?”

It’s faster for one, she wants to say, but there’s no need to try and list all the advantages and disadvantages. Not when they’re just playing around.
she's pullin' the trigger
cause it's me and the moon, she says
and i have no trouble with that
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Seren
Seren started when Wessex reappeared beside her. What really made her skin crawl was the silence of it. No pop or squeak or flash of light, or even rush of wind as space was filled and vacated. Just there and gone and back again, without warning.

"It's amazing!," she assured exuberantly, with appropriate amounts of fawning admiration. "Do you think I can learn how to do it? Is it magic, like dad's cloud and my floating?"

Just to test the theory, Seren stared as hard as the could at a spot a few feet awsy, and tried to will herself over there. But the only thing that happened was a slight watering of her eyes, ans she soon had to admit defeat.
The forces of gravity
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
you wouldn't even recognize me anymore
not that you knew me back then
“It is,” Wessex says with a chuckle, watching the little demigoddess trying to imitate her while she holds her hand out to Loki so the dragonling can climb back to the Wraith’s shoulder. “Butttttt I’m not sure it’s a magic you can learn to do. Or that your Mama will want you to do,” she adds, belatedly. Crouching down to Seren’s height, her expression tightens into something a bit more solemn, sad, even, than it was a minute before. “See, Seren, that magic came from The Voice. And your mama and my mama really don’t like each other.”

Loki trills a bit curious as to why his bonded is sad - they’re having fun, aren’t they? So Wessex smiles and scratches her companion’s chest scales before looking back to the little girl. “But I like you. And Loki likes you. And I hope maybe you might like me too.”
but it all comes back to me in the end
WESSEX
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Turning towards Wessex as the woman crouched down, Seren's head tilted curiously, attention intensifying at the solemn expression. And the revelation made the smile slowly fade from the girl's eyes, the way a cloud drifts gradually in front of the radiant sun. In an instant she was made to recall all the stories her mother had told of the gods and of the world, and in all of them The Voice had been the villain. The bad guy. The one who always misbehaved.

She remembered Letha, and the sadness in her eyes when the child recoiled. Nate came to mind too, how his cheerfullness dimmed and was replaced by caution, only because of her caution.

And now Wessex sat there, looking sad but smiling anyway, and it made her young heart ache.

"I like you," she replied, with the frank honesty that had become her trademark. "And I like Letha and Nate too. Why are mama and Voice fighting?" Her stories had never been very detailed on that part, and as of yet no one had explained it to her. Only referred her to her parents, so they could do the heavy lifting.

"Do you not like my mom?" That seemed somehow important to know.
The forces of gravity
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Hopefully without seeming to stare at Seren, the older demigod watches her reaction carefully; she knows the girl isn’t dangerous yet, but she also doesn’t know jack shit about demi-god child development. Prepared to leave at a negative answer, there’s no breath to hold as Wessex sees the smile fade away.

Her actual response, however, is comforting. She nods in agreement when the girl pronounces that she likes Letha and Nate - Wessex likes them too. Hell, she would have agreed to liking any of her siblings at this point. The first question makes her swallow, the second question makes her pause, and Wessex has to think fast. Does she deflect? Does she answer truthfully? Fucking kids and their fucking questions.

“Well,” she begins slowly, trying to buy more time. “It’s complicated, even for an old person like me.” And then she sits on the ground to make herself more comfortable, a sign that it might indeed be time for a story. “How old are you, Seren? And has your daddy told you anything about why the Gods are fighting?” Better to get a baseline and then. see how far she can go. Cause the girl’s gonna learn at some point - maybe this is an opportunity to get her side of the story in, even if doesn’t make much of a difference.
WESSEX
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Way to start off with a complicated question. Seren blinked, and looked down over herself. Hesitated, considered, rifled through her memories in search for an answer. "Maybe... nine?" she suggested, with great hesitation as she assessed her own body. It seemed about right, compared to other childrenin Torchline. "Mama took me to daddy when it was Leafchange. I was smaller then," she added, in case that helped. Truth was, Seren didn't quite operate according to the same time as most others. Something in the way she had been born - breathed into existence ny her mother's will - had yet to fully be realized, and her age was oddly fluid. Prone to drastic change.

"Mama told me some stories, but she only said The Voice is bad, not so much why. Do you like mama?"

It did not escape her that Wessex avoided the question, and Seren was not about to let it go. Not yet.
The forces of gravity
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Nine? What did Wessex remember from when she was nine? How did she act? What did she comprehend?

Of course the Wraith doesn’t really know how to adjust giant, cosmic problems for a child’s mind, not really. She can try to simplify, but there are so many nuances to the situation. While she’s mulling this part over, the tidbits about Seren’s age, her smallness, the unique speed at which she grew, falls on ears that are mentally focused elsewhere.

The question, however, does not. Wessex presses her lips together in a resolved expression and shakes her head slowly. “No. We don’t like each other.” To say the least. She glances down for a moment, then back at the girl. “But I like Ronin and Remi. And they like me.” She thinks. More or less. At the very least, the Wraith can say they don’t hate and want to kill her, like the girl’s divine mother does.

However they proceed from there is up to Seren. “I can tell you why The Voice and Safrin are fighting, if you still want. Or not. It’s up to you.” She certainly isn’t going to force her presence on the child, not when she ‘knows’ the Wraith is at odds with half her family. Like her patron Goddess, Wessex is a big fan of making one's own choices, even at such a young age.
WESSEX
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
It did lend a certain weight of unease to her stomach, to know that her wondeful Mama was disliked. "Why is that?" she asked, ultimately more afraid of remaining ignorant than of hearing something unpleasant. "I want to know. Mama said I need to learn about the world, so I want to understand."

Looking around, she found a shaded spot under the tree, and headed over. Seating herself in the grass, Seren patted the ground beside her invitingly and motioned for Wessex to join her. If story time was coming up, there was no reason why they couldn't be comfortable.

"I met Loren. He is not friends with daddy and Ronin but I like him anyway. Mama does not like you or The Voice... It is almost the same, right? But I really want to know why." Despite her youth, Seren's gaze was clear and steady as she looked upon Wessex, hungry for knowledge and seeming to absorb everything around her.
The forces of gravity
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Yes, it is almost the same.” Nodding carefully, Wessex agrees with her child-like (yet wise) logic and follows Seren to the shade of the tree, sitting dutifully where instructed and crossing her legs in front of her. At the young demigod’s encouragement, the Wraith tries to figure out where it might be best to begin. With herself, perhaps, and then move wider.

“The heralds don’t like the Ascended, not at all. They call us abominations. I Ascended because life in the Hollowed Ground was…. Very difficult. The barrier they brought down caused a lot of problems for us. My own mama and little sister died of a really bad disease and they’d prayed and prayed to the heralds and the Old Gods and nothing happened. No one came to help. So then I went to the Voice and Ascended. It wasn’t too long after that when I tried to talk to the heralds again, but they tried to kill me with sunlight - and at that point, sunlight was very dangerous to me - and called me names.” She shakes her head a bit. The memory doesn’t seem to upset her very much any more, but that doesn’t mean that the feelings aren’t there, just below the surface.

“And the other people who are devoted to Safrin… well, they have very strong feelings about the Ascended. They don’t like us either, and they make sure to tell everyone about some of the mistakes we’ve made, but they make it seem like we’re dangerous and a threat, like we’re scary and going to hurt others. And yes, Seren, the Ascended have made some stupid mistakes. I’ve done things I’m not proud of. But we are no more a threat than Apopo erupting, or a flood, or a famine, any of the creatures Rae has made.” Sighing, she looks up at the three, at the last bunch of leaves holding fast to their branches.

And don’t even get her started on Ludo. That is a story for another day. Maybe.

“As for the Voice… a very long time ago, she was a human magic user, and she gained more and more power. She would say she wanted to use it to help people. Safrin would say she didn’t, that she tried to challenge the Gods, she tried to draw their followers away from them. There was a war and it affected all of Caido. In the end the Old Gods couldn’t defeat her, so they imprisoned her in the Hollowed Ground. For three hundred years.” Gesturing to the world around them, Wessex shrugs a little tiredly. “And here we are now, two demigods with different parents, talking under a tree.”  Looking to the girl, Wessex suddenly feels very weary, as if the weight of the explaining and the history of it all has been laid on her shoulders.

“Any questions?”

The Wraith is sure she hasn’t done the best job in explaining this. Goddess, why couldn’t she get the sex question?
WESSEX
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Seren did have questions. May of them. Too many, as it turned out, and they all simply buzzed around her head until none made it into words. It seemed so very complicated. One person said one thing, and the other said another, and neither would change their minds. The only well formulated question that emerged in the child's mind was why her mother was so very upset about what the Voice had done. Was doing. It seemed... somehow personal, but Seren had a feeling that was a conversation she needed to have with Safrin herself.

A bug landed on her cheek; she absently waved it off with a hand and heaved a very heavy sigh - heavy for one so small, at least. "Yes, but I do not know which ones to ask," she admitted. "Maybe I need to think a bit longer first."

Maybe grow a bit older, too. Understand the basics of herself, her life, the place she was in and the people that lived around her. Maybe matters of gods were a bit too big for the starchild just yet.

"Thank you for telling." That said, she still had a smile to spare for Wessex, a little tired but warm and kind.
The forces of gravity
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Wessex laughs quietly to herself at Seren’s answer. “I know. It’s a lot. Not surprised no one told you yet, and I bet your dad won’t be too happy about it either.” It’s a bit like robbing the girl of her childhood, in a way. Except that her childhood was flying on by and sooner or later she’d be thrust into the middle of things just by virtue of her birth. She wouldn’t have a choice in the matter, and Wessex thought that rather sad. So who knows? Maybe it’s better to have this kind of knowledge now.

“Think as long as you need to. I have to go soon, but I’ll be back. Just remember that there are two sides to this story. You know what that means, right?” Looking down at the little girl, who still offered her a smile, even it seemed a little more tired and heavy than it was before, she picks Loki from her shoulder and offers her up for final scritches. The dragonling chirps, happy to blindly fill the gap between the demigods, both physically and metaphorically speaking.
WESSEX
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Petting Loki a fond goodbye, Seren thought about it, then nodded slowly. Maybe it wasn't the same kind of understanding as Wessex had - but didn't that only further emphasise the point? "It means that no one is all right and both are not all wrong," she sighed. If it wasn't so, then the conflict would have been solved a long time ago.

It was a lot to consider for the girl, but Wessex was right that time would not allow her the luxury of ignorance. Her task for now was to learn, to watch and listen and try to understand. That, at least, was something she was capable of.

When the time came for Wessex to leave, Seren waved her off with a wistful goodbye. It had been a peaceful first meeting, but who knew what would change before they crossed paths again? Time famously did not wait for anyone.

-------
-Fin
The forces of gravity