Only Close My Eyes To Blink
Hester Mac Girr An Adhastair
Bard

Age: 27 | Height: 5’4” | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
My head shakes when I sleep too long, And my mom cries when I sing this song
A bright smile breaks over Hesters face at the slight praise from the Warden, whether the woman meant it to come off as such or not. "Perhaps... if you ever have the time for it, I could play something for you? I mostly know folk songs, reels and stuff, but I could adapt something more... regal sounding. Something official?" She was more than ready to be shot down, to be pressed back for being too eager, but to have gotten to the point where she could be denied was still more than Hester had ever expected.

Hester rushed into the barracks as quickly as she could, feet stamping to get rid off the build up of snow on her boots. Even the ruined building was a balm compared to the frigid winds of outside, but something hot and mulled would only heighten the effect, only warm her up faster. "Please." She laughs, then steps deeper into the barracks, looking around. She's torn between the urge to help, to start opening cupboards and closets and whatever else was around in, and the urge to stay still, to not speak until spoken to, to not move until she was sure it was alright.

Hester erred on the side of danger, as she so often did, and began to poke through things, eventually finding two mugs that had somehow managed to survive the chaos, and pulling them out, holding them up triumphantly. Whatever drink the barracks had to offer, they had vessels now.
Hester
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MORGAN
And oh, poor Atlas
The world's a beast of a burden
Morgan laughed at Hester's offer, but she was quick to explain: "I am not a Queen. I do not need anything 'regal'; I came from exactly the same place as anyone else in this Citadel and I can appreciate the same music." After all, she ate her meals in bars and spent her time training with a sword and managing the practical parts of life in the Citadel: she was not a pampered noble. "Once we have our new council building made, you are welcome to come and play within it whenever you would like."

Hopefully, she wouldn't regret making that offer.

Hester went off to find the cups and Morgan dug about until she found enough firewood and cider to provide for them both; setting a fire under the one remaining hot plate she began to warm the cider, watching it begin to bubble in the pan. "Have you ever used the portal to go beyond Halo, then? You will want to, when Flowerbirth comes, if you want to travel? Where would you go first?"
And the ships are left to rust
That's what the water gave us
Bard

Age: 27 | Height: 5’4” | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Even if she wasn't so sensitive to the difference between being laughed at and laughed with, if she wasn't positive this was the latter, Hester didn't think she'd be able to be upset about it. She'd made Morgan laugh. It made her giddy enough that she almost didn't reply right away, that she couldn't stop her wide smile from shining through every word she said. "I'd be honoured to play for you, where ever you want. I'll keep my performances true to us."

"I've never used the portal, no." It felt like a Big Deal, the next step in her life, if even for just a short time, though the thought felt incredibly childish to actually voice. She was being told to act her age constantly, and that meant not showing any weakness about what she was going to do, though it felt more like avoiding parts of the question. "I want to at least visit outside of Halo. Maybe the Greatwood. I read that there's fae that live there, that they're master musicians and artists." She edges closer to the hot plate, hands held out close to it. "But if not there... the Hollowed Grounds seem friendlier than Torchline."
Hester
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
MORGAN
And oh, poor Atlas
This girl seemed easy to please, which made Morgan smile in turn: it was nice to see that even throughout the pain and sadness there were souls in the Citadel that found joy in things, that could smile through the darkest of their times. It reaffirmed Morgan's faith in the spirit of Halo. "Then be practising. Once our council building is made, I will welcome you to play."

Hester had never used the portal, which drew a raised eyebrow from Morgan; she'd thought by this point most young people of the Citadel had tried it at least once, even if just from a ill thought out dare. "I went on a trip to the Greatwood, but saw no Fae there. The wood can shift and move around you and I believe they are a secretive people...but perhaps you will have better luck than I." She shrugged; she had not hunted too hard, to be fair.

"Careful, in the Hollowed Grounds. It is a place that has had more than it's fair share of trouble." Morgan warned, though did not tell Hester to avoid it entirely: those decisions were for the young woman to make for herself. Reaching forward to feel the heat coming off the cider with her hand, Morgan nodded and picked up the pan, beginning to slowly pour the liquid into the two mugs.
Bard

Change author:
Already Hester was putting together a list of songs in her head, well known Halovian bar songs, and those with long high notes, made for the mountains and tundras. Of course, there wasn't a real timeline given, so she had no idea how long she had to tweak her list, to work on new compositions, but she didn't dare ask for one, not after it felt like she'd been granted to world. It felt as if the chance could disappear if she poked at it too much.

It's a little discouraging to hear that the Warden had encountered no fae, though the feeling is immediately left behind in favour of excitement and awe. To hear anything of the lands beyond Halo felt like a treat, even if it was only about apparently animate trees and secrets. "I want to learn music from them, if they can be found." Perhaps, with a goal, a wish, she'll be luckier.

The warning about the Hollowed Grounds was accepted with a grave nod, Hester reaching out to take her mug of cider once it had been poured, holding it between her hands so the warmth can seep into her. "Is it the people, or just the place?" Comes the curious question, Hester hungry for any first hand account. Better to have all the information she could, going somewhere new.
Hester
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
And oh, poor Atlas
"I'm sure that would be very interesting, if they would let you listen, but as I said I've heard they are secretive. I do not even know of any humans that have been to the Fae village." Not that she'd asked many people admittedly, but those that she had queried on the topic had all said the same thing: that the Fae liked to hide away, keep the outsiders out: as much as Morgan was trying to open up her mind, it was a way of life she understood.

Morgan took a sip from her own mug, long ago learning to drink things quickly before something called away her attention. "I am sure there are plenty of fine people in the Hollowed Grounds, but...with the Gods having sealed it away for so long, it seems like it gave it time for some developments that concern me." She frowned, unsure how much to say or really how to say it. "I know they have had something akin to a plague, and that they suffer monster attacks during Longnight."
Bard

Change author:
There's not too much she can say in response to the knowledge about the Fae, trusting in the practical far more than what she'd read. Who even knew how true the books she'd dug up were, if they were based in truth at all? Still, Hester couldn't help but feel a touch of disappointment, a childish pout passing over her face, before she can school it into something more appropriate.

"That was because of the Voice, wasn't it?" Who else was a better source of information for her questions than the Warden herself? Though, Hester will regret letting her mouth move so fast, as the Warden continues, clearing up the reason for her distrust and discomfort. She takes a sip of the cider while she listens, a kind of promise that she won't interrupt again, for the moment. "Do you think the people are dangerous then? Or... just that it's a dangerous place?" Her guard was going to be up regardless, doubled now because of this conversation, but if she knew an aspect to focus on, perhaps she could allow herself some relaxation.

She bites her lips, then continues, not sure who she's trying to reassure when she does. "I can protect myself. I know some swordplay, my dad taught me." There's a little tilt to Hester's chin as she speaks, a little bird trying to puff itself up to seem more dangerous than it really was.
Hester
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
And oh, poor Atlas
Morgan nodded solemnly, her mouth a grim line broken only when she lifted the cup to her lips to drink. "Yes. It is part of the reason why I am hesitant to allow The Voice or her followers into Halo." She wondered, if Hester knew, how common the knowledge of the cause for the Blight was: if it was something most people knew, it meant she might have an easier time convincing her people of the Ascended's danger.

"I...am sure that most of the people there are not dangerous. I have spoken to the General there and a few others and they have all been fine." She shrugged: just like any place, it would have it's bad apples, but the people she had met so far had impressed her with their intelligence and perseverance.

Taking another sip, Morgan raised her eyebrows and a smirk appeared on her face as she lowered the cup. "Oh? Confident enough to go a round with me?"
Bard

Change author:
She was given a lot to think about, more than she'd really expected when she'd first set out. Goddesses and illnesses and more, so much more than she'd expected, than she'd thought about. Perhaps her plans to travel should wait a touch longer, until she can be sure she's entirely ready. Learning that the dangers of the place don't necessarily taint it's people has her realxing a touch again, not quite enough to look fully at ease, but enough that what lingers can be hidden by a long sip at her mug, the spices warming her as much as the cider itself did.

The offer, the expression that came with it, nearly has Hester choking on her sip, though any embarrassment from that is very quickly wiped out by the excitement that rises in her, stars sparkling in her eyes when she recovers and looks up at Morgan. There was no higher honour, no offer she would leap on fast, but "I don't have my swords with me." There's a disappointed huff with the words, though it doesn't budge the bright look on her face. "Could I... maybe come back? When you're not busy, of course, I don't want to impose, but... I'd love to spar with you." She prays silently, to any God who might be listening, that this isn't a time sensitive offer, that she hasn't locked herself out of an experience.
Hester
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
And oh, poor Atlas
Morgan watched Hester's uneasy expression with some satisfaction: a wary young adventurer was far less likely to be a dead one and having spoken with Hester for a while, she thought it would be a great shame if the bright young woman were to come to any harm.

"You should always carry a weapon, especially in these tumultuous times." She told Hester, opening her cloak slightly to show the sword on her hip in addition to the warhammer on her back and daggers in her boots: one thing no one could say about the Warden was that she was ill-prepared. "Yes. Come back when you can, though I might be busy - we'll work something out."

With so many of the guard recently deposed, Morgan found herself invested in the safety and protective ability of Halo's young people; she was sure Hester had a lot to learn, and who better than herself to teach it? Finishing her drink and putting the mug down on the side, she nodded at Hester then looked at the door. "I should go now: there is much to do. In the Flowerbirth, come to find me for that duelling session."

{FIN}