Just when I thought I'd reached the bottom
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Samuel
How can you say that your truth is better than ours?
Shoulder to shoulder, now brother, we carry no arms
"Mmm...well, I should still be careful. But yes, I can go out to the beach during the day for a little now. Maybe we could go swimming more." Sam suggested, a smile on his face as he thought about one of his new favourite hobbies, swimming in the sea. There was something about it that was more freeing than the Oasis or rivers in the Greatwood and getting to spend time with Zeph just made it all the better.

While it was hard to recover from the spire being referred to as a 'big black cock', Sam managed to get a straight face together as he nodded to Zeph's queston. He wasn't sure how much the average Torchliner knew about the war or the Voice's part in it and didn't want to add any more fuel to the fire than necessary, so he didn't say too much. "That's right. She was in there for about three hundred years, I think."

As for what exactly the Core was...honestly, Sam himself wasn't too sure. The Voice had explain vaguely but he hadn't understood and he'd been scared to ask more. "Erm...it's...I think it's...a part of the Voice, but not? But also is. Though it's also a family member? And a lot of people at once, but also one person?" Uselessly gesturing in front of himself as if any series of hand movements could make this clear, Sam shrugged. "...As you can tell, I'm not really too sure. When she was taken out, the barrier fell, which was what people really wanted."

The last question, what the appeal of being Ascended was, was both easier and harder to answer. Sam kicked a stone in the road, which bumped up little dust clouds as it scattered around before them. "I mean...for me, it was mostly to please my parents. If I was given the choice as an adult, I wouldn't do it. For those that do, though...I suppose they might like the living forever or the upgrades...you don't get sick or tired." He shrugged. "You'd have to ask someone that chose to do it themselves; oh. That reminds me."

Rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, Sam looked across to Zeph with a small smile. "Since I'm alright now, I don't need to drink from you anymore." He watched carefully, wondering if Zeph would seem more relieved or disappointed.
The blind man sleeps in the doorway, his home
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
ZEPHYR
No promise sweeter than a blood pact
Nothing harder to go through with
than a vanishing act
"Absolutely." A smile plays at the corner of your mouth, eyes sparkling fondly

Well that certainly leaves you with more questions than answers. Though you nod along with the description of the Core most if it sails right over your head. The Voice but not, one person but also many. Sounds like more weird god shit to you, and you're okay with your ignorance intact. "Okay," is the only thing you have to say in reply, because what the fuck else are you to reply with? Cool story bro, tell it again? No thank you. Once was more than enough.

What does get a rise out of you is the reminder of Sam's shitty parents and their role in getting him into this mess. Scowling down at the road, you try to keep from stating exactly what you think of all that business. You're still glaring at the dirt when he looks back at you and mentions drinking, and oh yeah, you kinda forgot about that.

A good number of confusing feelings converge at once on your brain. Grateful that the scarf hides most of your flush you glance at Sam and then ahead, looking at the sky. "A'ight." Your voice is carefully without inflection, casual and distant, as though he didn't find the elephant in the room and teach it a circus trick.
Though you repent and don sackcloth
and try to make nice
You can’t cross the same river twice
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel
Happy with plans to swim in the future, Sam found a little bit more spring in his step, helped when Zeph didn't have anything more to ask about the Core; not Sam's favourite subject (like most secrets the Voice kept, he was sure that when it was revealed, it was going to cause some kind of problem); the path seemed to move quickly along, even with the awkwardness arising from Zeph's non-reaction to his words.

Pretending he wasn't disappointed that Zeph hadn't asked him to drink forever, he used a shortcut through the town to get to his house all the quicker, finally wiggling the key in the door as the sun was coming to it's morning position in the sky. The second he did open it, two things happened: an immediate smell of dust hit them both and Mia came running out of the house, intertwining herself in Sam's legs. With a laugh, Sam knelt down and picked her up, cuddling her close and kissing the top of her head: once he had thoroughly greeted his companion he turned to Zeph. "This is Mia. Um. ...I was hoping she could come back with us."
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
ZEPHYR
than a vanishing act
Awkward indeed; you continue on in that uncomfortable silence, feeling the weight of it more acutely than the cold. But honestly, what were you supposed to say? Oh no I'm going to terribly miss you blue-balling me once a week? Not particularly.

I value that time and the intimacy of it and the trust you put in me? Well, yeah, but it's more complicated than that. An complicated just isn't something you do that well.

His house is nice, small and simple and suitable for him, you think. The whole town is a far cry from anything you've really seen before, cramped and grey and weirdly decrepit, as though only half of it were alive. It makes you feel claustrophobic, and you pull your coat tighter around your shoulders in an attempt to keep the ghosts who doubtlessly live here at bay.

When Sam opens the door you peer in curiously over his shoulder, suddenly feeling very nosy about where the man lives. You do not expect a fucking cat to come charging out of the dusty, apparently empty house. "You jus' left your cat here?" you ask, blinking back surprise and taking a step away as Sam turns, his arms full of very pretty fluff. Somehow, more than anything he has ever done or told you, this it is this which catches you off guard. "Uh- yeah. I guess. 'Cept Ki'll pitch a fit. How's it still alive?"
and try to make nice
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
Sam noticed Zeph peering over his shoulder and couldn't help but smile, finding it amusing that anyone could be interested in his dull little house. Before he could invite him in though, Zeph was asking his question and Sam shook his head, kissing the top of Mia's head again as she rubbed up against his chin. "She's not a normal cat. When I met her, she was in my attic and she'd lived alone for years here, eating bats and so on. If there's an emergency, she knows she can go to my sister's bakery. There's a hole in the roof that she can come in and out of."

Gently Sam put Mia down and stepped into the house, leaning over to light a candle by the door with a match left by it's side. "I told her I'd go and see how Torchline was and if I liked it, I'd come back to get her after Longnight. She didn't want to go all the way if I wasn't going to stay there..but it seems like I am, so she can come this time." He smiled at his companion and nodded, as if confirming these words to her.

They walked into Sam's living room: two large comfortable armchairs either side of a fireplace, a painting of his family all stern-faced above and a tray with a kettle on it between them. Stairs to the upstairs were to the right, and to the left was a door to the kitchen. All around there were books, piled on furniture and the floor, giving the whole place a chaotic atmosphere. Going to reach for a shelf above the stairs, Sam pulled out a large suitcase. "I'm going to pack some things...I suppose the rest I'll leave here for now. Maybe I could give it to an Outlander, once I'm sure there's nothing personal." He put the suitcase down on an armchair then paused, looking over the room.

"It's...odd. I've lived here for over ten years now. I'm happy to be going to Torchline, but..." He shrugged. "It's a little sad, too."
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPHYR
than a vanishing act
The explanation is... Sound, you suppose. Ki'd murder you for doing something similar, but cats are different you suppose. You don't know, you've never been a cat person. Though looking at the fluffy monstrosity in Sam's arms has you thinking maybe you could change.

You follow him through his house, examining, poking, nosy as ever. The portrait looks like as unhappy a family as you've ever seen- no surprise there. Flipping through some of the books, you turn back when Sam appears with a suitcase. "I can send someone t'get 'em," you say casually, as though it were the easiest thing in the world.

You help with packing as best you can, carrying a heavy bag. On the way back Sam shows you some of the more picturesque parts of the Ground, including a weird earthen hovel with a rug inside that you figure you might as well take home - could be worth something, if you're lucky. And a good accent piece if you're not.

{Fin}
and try to make nice