The Forgotten Son Returns - OPEN
Open!
Jace Launceleyn
Eirachi's Pawn/Grand Sorcerer of the Arcane Academy

Age: 31 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
tell the wolves i'm home
Even in spring, Halo raged with cold wind and snow.it obscured and concealed, danger lurking behind every cloaked snowcap. But when blessed by the Eirachi's will, the snow could become far more eerie than any Halovian was accustomed to.

To any who stood watch, the tundra loomed empty and vast, but in a blink of an eye he appeared. A young man of stern expression approached the Citadel, alone, seemingly unarmed, a rolled up tarp upon his shoulder. The only thing familiar was likely the tarp - how many bodies were hidden in the snowbanks of the Tundra after all? How frequent did Mort and Ludo traverse its frozen plains? But the man was a stranger who only had eyes for the village beyond the walls.
JACE

Coding base by Odd/Sky!
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MORGAN
And oh, poor Atlas
The world's a beast of a burden
It was unusual for visitors to the Citadel to arrive in the first half of Flowerbirth when the cold Deepfrost winds had not yet entirely departed, though not unheard of; Morgan was only notified because it was a slow day, the rebuilding efforts going ahead slowly and not much else occurring within the walls except the steady hands of the people going brick by brick. She had been helping when a guard had told her there was someone approaching the new gates, holding something they couldn't yet identify.

Figuring it was likely just some Grounder who fancied an adventure, Morgan was not particularly anxious, but she needed a break so she headed to the gates, walked through the opening in the wooden and steel door and stood outside, waiting for the stranger to approach with her arms crossed and her body leaning against the wall.

Once he was close enough, she asked: "Greetings, this is Halo's Citadel: what's your business here?"
And the ships are left to rust
That's what the water gave us
Jace Launceleyn

Age: 31 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
tell the wolves i'm home
Upon further inspection, Morgan might find the stranger not dressed nearly warm enough to be 'just some Grounder'. In fact, he was barely dressed warm enough to be considered a standard Halovian. Between that and the long tarp bundled on his shoulder, he was certainly an oddity.

But Jace looked up when addressed, icy green eyes holding the new Warden's gaze. Perhaps then she would realize the forces at play - the familiar cold aura about him signalling his benefactor. "This is my home." he said simply. His voice was low and deep, but surprisingly soft. He jerked his head slightly to the bundle on his shoulder. "I also found your runaway Archmage. She fell into a ravine in the Fangs."
JACE

Coding base by Odd/Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 9 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 46 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
noah
Free from all old stories Ive been told, I walk through the valley of my own shadow
Noah had not intended to interrupt the meeting of the stranger and the Warden, but he followed the same path home through the gates as any Halovian. He had been out hunting, but now he looked before him as an unfamiliar man--at least, as unfamiliar from the backside as any man could be--moved towards the same gates he planned to enter. Noah's eyebrows knit together in their usual form, his brain rolling through who the man could be. As he walked behind him and observed, he saw the familiar tangle of bright hair step through the gates. Relief settled over him for a moment when he saw Morgan, but also a high sense of protection bubbled in his chest. He believed the woman could defend herself well, but he also thought that of Weaver.

Noah closed the distance between them, though he stood a few luxere-lengths away from the other two. He joined them just soon enough to hear the stranger's words. Noah looked him up and down, curiously. "And you are, exactly?" He asked, voice neutral but with a coldness that only came from being born and raised in this tundra. From his back hung a seal, small but with enough blubber to make a decent amount of candles, and enough meat to feed a family for a few weeks.

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
MORGAN
And oh, poor Atlas
As the man approached and looked up, Morgan certainly noticed something; a sense in her that felt she almost recognised him: still, she knew many people in the Citadel. He could have been a merchant or a passing farmer (though most hardy folk of Halo would know better than to dress so lightly in the Flowerbirth). Indeed, when he insisted it was his home, she nearly stepped aside and thought nothing more of it; then he addressed the tarp in his arms.

Noah appeared and while his question was a good one now that Jace seemed to be carrying a body, Morgan had a more pressing one. "That-" She asked, pointing to the bundle. "-Is Zariah Launceleyn?" The Archmage had indeed been missing for some time; Morgan had assumed she had gone off to some other land beyond a portal: if she was indeed over Jace's shoulder, it was sobering. While Morgan had never particularly cared for the woman, she had not wanted to see her dead.
Jace Launceleyn

Change author:
tell the wolves i'm home
Another man approached and Jace's cold green gaze turned to him as well. Perhaps he too would notice his strangeness, just as the Warden had - the touch of the Eirachi was no stranger to those who made the tundra their home after all. "Jace Launceleyn." he said, voice far too soft for the seriousness of the claim. A season ago he had been but a toddler. Now he stood a grown man, striking a near perfect resemblance of both his mother and father if one cared to notice.

But his attention was reclaimed by the woman, whose shock was expected. If only she knew just how utterly anticlimactic Zariah's death was - not that he would ever tell the real story. Carefully he lifted the bundle on his shoulder off and onto the snowy ground. With deft fingers he untied the ropes that kept the tarp bound together, and once unfolded none other than Zariah laid there. Her skin showed signs of frostbite, but the injuries from her fall - the broken bones and gashes on her back - made clear the fate she met. "I found her in a cave. It seems some rocks fell and broke some ice over a ravine and she fell." he said, straightforward and unemotional. Accidents like this happened all the time in Halo. No one was safe from them at the end of the day.
JACE

Coding base by Odd/Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
noah
Free from all old stories Ive been told, I walk through the valley of my own shadow
There was something familiar, but eerie, about this man before them. Noah watched him carefully, eyes moving to the tarp he held. Noah's gut twisted with a knowing, and he leaned back some, glancing over at Morgan as she asked the question that -- somewhere, deep in his hunter's mind -- he already knew the answer to. When the man's name followed, Noah felt his whole body clench. How...could this be? The attuned took a step back as the icy man lowered the tarp-covered body to the ground, exposing it for what it was. Noah's already clenched stomach twisted and he swallowed. He looked to Morgan and back to Jace, or the man that claimed to be him. It did not make sense.

"That's what you say happened to her..." Noah started, finally summoning enough of his composure to lean on a knee and inspect the body of the once-Archmage further, "...then what happened to you?" Noah knew that Jace Launceleyn had only been a boy when his abandoned mother sacrificed him. If this really was Jace, then what Noah had originally thought his fate was not true -- the Eirachi did not kill him. But did she nurture him? The natural doubted that, too.

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
And oh, poor Atlas
Morgan immediately recognised Jace's name, the story of the sacrificed child having burnt into her mind the second she'd heard it; that didn't meant this made sense though. The child that had been given had been no more than a toddler and this man before them was fully grown, able to carry his mother (?) and speak to them eloquently.

The surprises were to keep coming as Jace dropped the body before them. Morgan had seen many dead and was not squeamish, she did not flinch. Still, it was disquieting to see someone she had known for a while dead on the ground: Jace had not seemed to drop her with much care, but she thought it polite to ask: "Would you...like a burial arranged for her?"

Noah was asking good questions and she stayed stood over him as he inspected the body, waiting for Jace to answer.
Jace Launceleyn

Change author:
tell the wolves i'm home
Jace didn't flinch under the accusation tossed at him by Noah. He knew well enough that any idiot who examined her injuries would be able to tell clear as day that his story lined up. "If you wish to accuse me of murder then do so. But you'll be incriminating an innocent." he said softly. And was that really the path the man wanted to follow? Charging a man who had been sacrificed by his own parents with murder? The people of Halo were cold but he doubted this fellow was capable of such frozen hearted pursuits.

At his question though, Jace shrugged. "Time moves differently for gods. Feels like it's been years to me but...Eirachi said it had been but a season." he said. That should be explanation enough for his sudden growth - and it was the truth so it better be enough. His gaze turned to Morgan then and he nodded. "I believe my family burned their dead but I don't remember well." he said. He has been a toddler at the time that the last familt funeral had happened after all.
JACE

Coding base by Odd/Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
noah
Noah did not doubt the icy man's story as he inspected the body laid out before him. Her injuries were, it seemed, most likely to be just as he said. Caution, and some suspicion, still swelled in Noah's mind, however. He looked up to Jace as he spoke, and briefly back at Morgan, before looking at Zariah once more. A funeral pyre would be good. The ground was too frozen to bury bodies here -- even with earth magic to make the tombs, the ice would preserve them indefinitely and have a chance to be dug up again during a future construction project. It was not how things were done in Halo. And, if Jace claimed this to be his home, he would have to comply with such.

Standing back up to his full height once more, lifting a brow towards Jace. " I wasn't going to accuse you of murder, but if you come to such conclusions of my character on your own, maybe there is some guilt, somewhere." It was an observation, and a challenge. Jace did not know Noah, and the tone that laced his question had not been even the slightest bit accusatory -- merely, sincerely, curious. "The Eirachi can be mysterious." Noah said simply, accepting the explanation he had been given for the man's growth.

He looked to Morgan again. "We should move her from here, to prepare her body for the funeral. Other hunters will be coming back soon, and I don't think any of them should stumble upon this." He looked back to Jace, waiting to see if the man had any input.

Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
And oh, poor Atlas
"Noah, we have no reason to suspect him." Morgan said gently, looking across to her council member. She understood his hesitation around accepting Jace, their experiences over Longnight certainly not helping the desire to bring in outsiders, but so far she did not see a reason to doubt Jace's story, as bizarre as it was. The Gods acted in odd ways and when she looked closely at the man's face, she supposed she could see a trace of Zariah there. "It has just been a season, indeed."

She wasn't sure what that meant for Jace's mental state: was he closer to a three year old or twenty five year old? He certainly seemed mature enough in this conversation, but she doubted he had much life experience. "Do you want a room to stay in while you settle in?" Morgan asked.

As for moving Zariah's body, she nodded. "We can build a pyre shortly enough. Let's move her to the gatehouse for now - there is a table there that should be able to hold the body until we have the pyre built. Is that acceptable?" She asked, looking to Jace as she went to kneel by Zariah's body, getting ready to lift.