Beach Party
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
"You made this?" she said in awe, dumbstruck once more. Not only did he go to great lengths to purchase such a beautiful gown he made her jewerly?? "What are you talking about it's perfect! Gorgeous! I....I don't have words." she stuttered. She wiped at her eyes quickly as he pulled her into his side. Phoebe knew she probably looked a loon, standing there with her jaw on the ground, eyes teary, utterly speechless. "I love them, Harper. I've...no one has ever given me such beautiful or luxurious things before...I can't...thank you just doesn't seem sufficient but thank you." she said, beaming up at him.

"Oh no no of course not!" she said quickly. It might've been a joke but she took it seriously, kneeling down quickly so she could very carefully place everything back safe in the box.
I can see your sad story eyes,
So how do you have no words to say
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
I carry all I need to grow inside - give me light, give me warmth
A flush of pink crawls up the back of his neck, freckles standing out in contrast on his cheeks as her teary eyes and gushing words fluster him in turn. All he can do is hug her tighter, feeling like the sun is glowing through his skin with how happy he is at her joy. It's been some time since he has celebrated a birthday, and the first birthday in Caido he has experienced. He'd felt like he was coming up short with the gifts now that he had less to choose from, but her happiness alone washes away any fears and nerves about that. "You're welcome, Phoebe. You deserve it, and I'm just really glad they make you happy." The only thing he'd really wanted out of the entire endeavor, so he'll consider it a win.

Once everything is tucked back away in the box, Harper leans down and uses his forearm to swipe behind her knees, plucking her up into a bridal carry and bouncing her in his arms playfully. "Kidnapping!" He hollers playfully, making sure she's well adjusted before he spins around in the sand and goes running for the shore. "It's swim time!" he crows, laughing loudly as he keeps a tight grip to her body, water splashing up his legs the deeper he goes until he's sure that she won't hit sand when he drops her. Only then does he smirk, dropping his arms to dunk her in the water.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
"I don't know if I deserve it but it does make me very happy." she said with a grin. But she didn't get much time to continue basking in her shock and appreciation. As soon as the lid was back on the box she was scooped up and "kidnapped". She squeaked, instinctively clinging to him at first. But as the water began to fly up as he charged ahead, she held up her arms, laughing at his antics.

And then, very unceremoniously, she was dropped in the water. She wasn't sure she had ever told Harper, but it would probably be clear by how she flailed that while not unable to swim, Phoebe was far from a strong or practiced swimmer. Even so, once her feet found the sandy bottom, she pushed herself back up, making sure to flip her hair so he was sprayed with water. "You sneak!" she laughed, wiping the water off her face.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
They can deal with their self-esteem issues together later, he decides. For now, he's keen on chasing that smile back onto her face, even if it means gallivanting around in the water like children for a few hours. Forgetting their worries and woes, until there's nothing but the salt on their lips and the sun on their shoulders to care about any longer. More than anything, that's his goal with this outing. To unshackle them from all that keeps them tied down and serious for a moment and simply be.

Harper gives a dramatic 'ack' of noise when she flips her hair to splash him in the face, seemingly unable to stop the grin creasing his face as he wipes the water off his cheeks with his hand. "Oh no, I'm no sneak! I declared everything I was doing out loud." Sapphire eyes bright with mirth, he playfully wags his finger at her. It would be all too easy to drop backward into the water, to let the waves pull him around. Or maybe to splash her, or instruct her on swimming since it's clear she's still a little uncertain. There's a million things Harper could do to make this the fun, friendly outing he'd wanted for Phoebe. That he'd planned for. But...standing there, both of them wet and smiling, his heart aches. He hasn't been able to stop thinking about what Sunjata had told him, has barely slept at all with the tossing and turning he has done. Admittedly he doesn't want to turn her birthday into a potential disaster by bringing up their relationship, but...but what if it turns out well instead?

Moving closer, Harper swallows hard and reaches to try and take both of her hands. Something he can focus on instead of his anxiety, which mounts all the higher as his calloused thumbs move over the ridges of her knuckles. "Phoebe, I'd like to give you one more gift, even if calling it that sounds pretentious. And...and I promise afterwards, if you'd like, we can talk about it. Because there's a lot I'd like to ask you, and say to you. Okay?" He forces his words to remain slow, despite how they wish to rabbit off into a ramble that would likely leave her more confused than anything. Not moving any closer so as to ensure she has her space and faculties about her before he asks. Forcing his gaze up to hers, the light and the sea reflecting in his cerulean gaze, he tries to impress the seriousness of what he's going to ask upon her without words. "May I kiss you?"
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"Oh no, you are a sneak!" she said, giggling. Even so she splashed him again in an effort to somewhat even the field. "You said swimming time, not dunking Phoebe in the ocean time!" she said, still snickering. It was all in good fun though. And suddenly she wondered - when was the last time she had fun like this? Carefree? Jovial? Simply appreciating the moment? Years, certainly. It was bliss, really, and as much as she loved the gifts he had given her, this time and moment was far more precious.

Of course though, she expected retribution for her splashes. So when he took her hands she flinched back at first, expecting to be dragged back into some watery fight. But he had suddenly sobered, not somber but definitely serious. Worried maybe? Her brows knitted together as she tilted her head to the side. But before she could ask what was wrong, he admitted to another present. And while the sea reflected off his blue gaze, her own honeyed eyes glowed golden under the sunlight, widdening as he revealed his plot, cheeks burning red.

Lashes fluttered, droplets of water flying off their ends as her lips parted in shock. How many surprises was she to have today? And this - of all surprises - one she had forced from her mind if only to save her sanity and sleeping hours. "Uh...w-well yes. Yes you can." she stuttered, feeling lame in her response. But she was so taken aback she couldn't do much else.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
"Ah, you got me there," he capitulates easily, happy to let her win any small thing today of all days. Even in their current capacity as friends, it's undeniable that Phoebe is immensely precious to Harper. Anyone who knows them is sure to be able to tell, and that has never bothered the man. He is very upfront with his emotions, guileless and sincere, and as a man very in tune with his own sensitivity it has never bothered him to be public about how he adores her. If he can give her this one day, this single moment in time to look back on with a smile, Harper will do whatever it takes.

As her hesitation grows clear, he manages a small smile past the nerves that strangle his throat. Harper wants to be brave for her, courageous. Someone more like Sunjata. But he knows he's not. It's a difficult comparison to make, knowing that while he may be more than capable of protecting her and going to war for her, that he is not the bad boy with the smooth talking tongue that she's used to. All he has to offer her is himself. Joyful, intimate, playful, loyal. For all his flaws, ones he still wants to talk to her about before they commit to anything - if she will even give him the chance - he knows he can't compare to her ex.

But then she says yes. And there's no room for comparing himself to others, doubts temporarily dissolved beneath the force of his relief and joy. "Thank you," he whispers, knowing she will hear him as he drifts a little closer, adamant that he thank her for the chance she is giving him to do this. Still holding one of her hands to gently pull her closer, the other lifts to brush the backs of his knuckles across her pink cheek. The pad of his thumb following in a tender stroke, tucking her wet hair behind her ear and cradling her head to tilt it up towards him. He takes his time, staring down at her and memorizing the way the sun cuts across her face, illuminating her eyes. Only then does he bend down to erase the small space between them in height, lips gentle and unassuming as they press upon her own. Tender and full of feeling, arguably chaste with the close-lipped press against one another. But he cradles her close, lips moving slowly, no more than the tiniest open and close as he embraces the moment of finally being able to kiss her as he has desired.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Her heart was beating so loud, she was certain he could hear it; and it only intensified as his hands lifted to her face. When had his thoughts changed? What - who - had changed his prerogative? He had been so adamant - so sure - that he wasn't good enough. There was too much between them, too many years, too little brain development, troubled pasts, murky futures - it hadn't been terribly long ago when he had turned her down again (though she hadn't been particularly direct he had still had caught the undertone). Changes like that seemed too large to occur so quickly. And yet...

It all suddenly melted away as his lips pressed against hers, the whirr in her mind halting at once. So soft, so gentle - almost nervously modest - she had forgotten that kisses could be so sweet, having become do accustomed to the fiery passion Jata approached everything with. Her hands made their way around his back as she leaned into him, rising up near his shoulders. She reciprocated his movements, suppressing the desire for the moment to draw closer, to deepen the kiss she had thought would never be, not wanting to press her luck and send him running again.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
It's bliss. The entire thing; the gentle sound of waves against sand, the sun warming their skin, the slight taste of salt as their lips meet, the way her hands come to cling around his shoulders. Harper doesn't even think of taking it farther - not because he's opposed to the idea, but because he doesn't want to taint the perfect innocence of this one moment with lustful ideals. He pulls away reluctantly, letting their lips continue to touch and connect and tilting his nose to brush against her own before he slowly withdraws. His own cheeks are surely as red as her own. Harper is admittedly less experienced than her in terms of how many people he has been with, having devoted himself to his beloved from the start and never accepting any interested parties after her death. He may be experienced in the bedroom, but only with one person, whose likes and dislikes may be complete opposites to Phoebe. But he hopes she doesn't mind, that he hasn't disappointed her with this kiss somehow.

"Thank you," he murmurs again against her lips as he pulls away fully. Because truly, it had been more of a gift for Harper than the other way around, which makes him feel a little selfish. "I said that if you wanted to, we could talk after. We still can, if you want. Unless you want to focus more on your birthday, which I'll understand as well." His smile comes back at this, knowing he has thrown her quite a curveball. The hand cradling her head slips to smooth her hair back, feeling like he's full of restless energy now with no proper outlet. Wanting to touch, to cherish, but knowing that words must come first.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
It is bliss, and it is over far too quickly.

As he pulled away, her fingers pressed gently into his back of their own accord. She was breathless, needlessly so, but in the suddenness of it all breathing had been all but forgotten. Phoebe's eyes fluttered open, looking up at him nervously - hopeful but reserved. Was this intended as a one time thing? A little taste of what she had sought because it was her birthday? For Frey's sake she hoped not.

"N-no I want to talk." she stammered, cheeks bright pink with flush. She wouldn't be able to focus on anything else otherwise. "What does this mean? I...I thought I was...you said I wasn't...my brain wasn't old enough..." she said, brows furrowing. "Or is it not like that?" she said - and oh she hoped it wasn't! She hoped it was more, that there were at least some if not all the strings that could come with such things! She yearned for that elusive melody, the thruming of strings between two hearts. Especially if it was Harper's tuning the chords.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Part of him is relieved that she wants to talk, because there's so much he has to say. He doesn't let go of her, doesn't think he can stand it if he tries, but he does try to keep a little space between them so they can pull their heads out of the clouds.

"It means what you want it to mean. Not to discredit my own wishes, but..." Already he isn't sure how to start this, what to say. "I had a talk with Sunjata recently. You've both come so far from where you were at the wedding, and he put my head on straight. Helped me realize things that I couldn't have realized from you alone." As part of the 'problem' so to speak, he'd needed an outsider view. And he hopes she doesn't focus too much on the who had helped, and more on the why. Where it left them now. "I was so scared of your brain development, because those laws in my world were put in place to keep younger individuals safe from predatory older suitors. I think I got confused, caught up in it, so afraid to take advantage of you because I'm older." Something he's still afraid of. Constantly terrified he's doing this for the wrong reason, even if Sunjata had pointed out that the presence of that crippling fear meant he couldn't be taking advantage in the first place.

"He had to remind me that there's a difference between immaturity and illegality. That, though you may be younger than me, you are still an adult." It was so easy to conflate the two, and he had admittedly fallen prey to that. Something he'd have to work on, if this were to become something...more. "I will always worry that I'm taking advantage, because I will always worry about anyone hurting you. Including myself. But I...I truly care for you Phoebe. And even if you were immature because of your age, so what? We could grow together, and in time I would see you overcome that." It feels like bubbles are rising in his chest, making it hard to speak. Trying to get her to understand how he'd thought before and then compare it to what he thought now. Why it made such a difference, and had changed his mind.

"I know I asked you not to wait for me. And if you don't want this to go anywhere, that's okay. But if you did...I'm not sure what terms you use here, but I would like to be with you. And only you." And he would hope that she would want for nobody else aside from him, as well. That they could be partners, monogamous, whatever it was people in Caido were to each other in that way.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
She allows the small space to come between them, though she couldn't have really stopped him had he tried, falling silent as he began what seemed a prepared speech. For a moment her expression fell, one of concern when he mentioned Jata. She still harbored very hard feelings over that, over him, and she tensed, waiting to hear some awful insults about how crazy she was. But it turned out quite the opposite, which was almost as shocking as the events that had just transpired. Almost.

But that faded into the background quickly as he continued on, heart racing again as her mind painted pictures of the path he was on. No imagining could have prepared her for how sweet it sounded coming from his lips. "Boyfriend and girlfriend." she said with a laugh as he worked his way around them. For all she knew the comparable words in his world were Floople and Noobloober - some sort of technical sciencey term or something. "I want that too. I...it'd make me very happy." she said, grinning from ear to ear.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Luckily she doesn't comment on Sunjata's part in all of this. Surely it can be a conversation for later, with what lays at stake in the here and now. New beginnings and opportunities far removed from those old, painful memories and connections. The promise of newness and devotion instead of recollections of remorse. Harper smiles gratefully at the words she supplies, relieved that they're what he's used to at the very least. Familiarity to cling to as they voyage into uncharted territory together. It doesn't even seem real, even as she agrees. Like a dream he doesn't want to wake up from.

"It would make me very happy too," he assures, voice rumbling and soft, expression plainly endeared. Fingers coming to trace the delicate curve of her ear, the other tentatively landing high on her waist, careful not to stray too far. To push anything with all this newness to contend with. "I'm sorry I made you wait so long." Leaning to kiss the corner of her mouth this time, unable to help himself. Feeling smitten and boyish for the first time since his fiancée had died. Like being reborn.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
If she could have smiled wider she would have, but instead it shone from her eyes - wild elation with perhaps a twinge of disbelief. She had spent countless hours working to accept that Harper's concerns were insurmountable. She could not suddenly age herself after all. His kind words and actions were just him being him, not indicative of romantic interest. Her head was spinning, and it would take time for her to come to terms with this sudden joyful shift in her reality.

But at least he gave her a perfect avenue for playfulness to pull her from her shell shock.

"I had just been starting to think you'd never get out of your own head long enough to just let life happen." she said with a light laugh, leaning up to peck him on the lips...which was perfect cover to grab hold of his shoulders so she could throw herself back to dunk them both in the water. And when the both came back up..."That's for making me wait." she snickered.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
For all his remaining hesitation and fears, Harper knows this was the right decision. Any new relationship is bound to be fraught with those as it is, and they'll have to navigate them together somehow as all new lovers do. He grins sheepishly at her words, knowing he's at fault for having been so absorbed in his own mind. So it's easy to let her draw him down to press a quick kiss to his mouth, to let her unbalance him and pull him into the water with her.

He's careful to roll over off her before they surface so she has room to do so herself, pushing back out of the water with a splitter and a laugh, hair plastered to his forehead until he smooths it back. "I think that's a fair punishment," he laughs brightly, already magnetically drawing closer to her as soon as they surface. "I love you Phoebe." He says it as he presses a kiss to her temple. Unafraid to use the term, aware that love can come in many strengths, and that they must cultivate theirs over time. But he'd loved her even as a friend, and hopefully the usage of the word won't scare her off.
and watch me come alive