Beach Party
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
She grinned, snickering as he spluttered, quite proud of her achievement. There was no way she could have ever pulled it off on land - not like that anyway - the added effects of the waves rolling in and out having aided her attempt to dunk him. "Still a very light punishment if you ask me." she said, playfully splashing water at his face and chest.

But it seemed he was not out of surprises yet. Love - such a simple word with so many implications. Her eyes widened, briefly taken aback, before her expression fell into a warm smile again. She supposed it was true, wasn't it? She had loved him before today - not as fully as she would have wanted but love nontheless. It was just strange, she realized, having never built a strong friendship before finding romance with either Emmett or Sunjata. Not strange...just different. "I love you too, Harper." she said, kissing the corner of his mouth.
I can see your sad story eyes,
So how do you have no words to say
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
I carry all I need to grow inside - give me light, give me warmth
"Well now we've got all the time in the world for you to get even," he assures playfully. In the end, despite the challenges and the time between, they arrived where they needed to be. That's all that matters. Surely she can feel the way his lips turn into a beaming smile as she says she loves him back, can feel the crinkle of joy beneath her lips as they touch the corner of his own. It's a pretty good birthday party for two, he thinks.

They spend a large majority of the sunlight hours alternating between their items in the shade and the ocean, until he beckons her down onto the blanket to begin indulging in their food. "Sunjata also told me to stop worrying about bothering Safrin and just going to her shrine for a visit," he mentions idly, grinning because Phoebe had said much the same. "Especially about asking for a companion. I still think you're both crazy, but I might try. How has Frey been?" Admittedly Harper doesn't think he'll ever meet Frey one-on-one. Their ideals certainly don't align. But it doesn't mean he can't support Phoebe in her faith.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
It was a glorious birthday, Phoebe thought, having not been so happy in so long. And when he was ready to settle into the blanket for a snack and a break, she was more than happy to join him. She picked a few pieces of fruit before lounging on the blanket next to him. She realized that this was how Frey appeared a lot, lounging and indulging in fruit; and finally she understood the appeal.

The mention of Sunjata had her furrowimg her brows again. "Are you and him really that close?" she asked, playing with the green leaves left from the strawberry she just ate. But at least she could offer her thoughts on Safrin. She smiled a bit up at him. "Safrin is really very kind. You shouldn't worry so much." she said, laughing a bit at his anxiousness.

At the mention of Frey though she sighed, looking up at the sky briefly. "Frey is as well as always...but...my connection to them has gotten me some unwanted attention." she admitted.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
He takes a moment to consider her question, thumbing away a line of juice at the corner of his mouth. "Closeness is hard to say. I'd call him a friend, but not a close one." Harper certainly won't lie to her about that, even if she may dislike it. "Whatever happened between the wedding and now, he has grown quite a lot. He hasn't said anything negative about you, he's been quite civil." Hopefully that would put some of her fears at ease. Harper wouldn't hang around the man if he acted that way after all. Perhaps they'd all simply...grown up. Changed. Become better people in the aftermath of ruin. "I still feel wrong-footed and pretentious, calling down a God just for a chat and to ask for material items. But I'm trying to change my ways." Here his grin is a little teasing, because he'd had to change his ways to get where they are now anyway.

Her sigh is unexpected, dark brow rising slowly as she speaks. "Unwanted attention? What's wrong?" Was someone trying to utilize Phoebe's closeness with Frey to meet them or something?
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe was quiet as he described his relationship with Sunjata, worrying her lip. "I guess it would have helped not being the one people blamed for it all." she mumbled. Her heart had long since moved on from Sunjata but the hurt that came in the wake of the situation - the way she had been demonized as if she somehow was solely to blame - still bothered her a lot. But at least he wasn't still saying awful things about her.

But the topic of Safrin made her smile again. "It isn't just a chat though. The gods can help give perspective when we are unsure, and Safrin is kind enough to answer those questions. And maybe bless you with a companion." she said with a grin.

"A man came randomly to talk to me. He knew...everything about me. I don't know how but he did. And he and his group think that Frey will make me a demigod." she said quietly, looking up at the sky again. "They are going to ask me to help them with their war against the Ascended. Not many people get as close to Frey as I do so...I guess they see it as a rare opportunity."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
He reaches to squeeze her hand briefly, knowing that despite how they'd both moved on, there's always be old hurts. Ones Harper can't heal for either of them. "I know. But you've both moved on, and that's what will bring you both peace." They didn't have to interact again if they didn't want to, and they were now free to live their lives unburdened aside from memories.

"You can word it however you like princess, I'm still going to be a hardhead until the day comes," he chuckles, winking at her. But he knows the time is coming, that it's inevitable he seeks her out, likely this season. Especially concerning what Phoebe tells him now. He listens intently, a frown marring his handsome face as he considers what she tells him. He hasn't had much experience with the Ascended one way or the other.

"Well if you were Freys demigod, surely they'd be the deciding factor in whether you'd even join in their name?" The actual becoming a demigod isn't negative news, though something quiet and cold sneaks into his heart at the idea. That he will be left behind in time, if not because of her ascension into being something more then by their age. Every demigod he has known has had their age slowed, if not entirely stopped. But he won't stand in the way of her happiness, especially not this early on. "Have they been spying on you do you think? Are you...even considering joining them?" Almost afraid to ask, feeling like this is a moral precipice they stand upon, one which he isn't sure if his own stance on.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"Maybe." she concedes, a little but not all of her apprehension. She knew well that time could only heal some wounds, and those dealt to her by Sunjata ran deep indeed. "Oh don't you worry, I am well aware of how hard headed you are." she drawled, smirking at him as she picked up another piece of fruit.

"Well...Frey doesn't care about things like that." she said with a shrug. "And they know that. They know that Frey wouldn't hold me to any decision one wat or another, which would still leave it on me." she explained, hoping he understood. "As it is I am not convinced Frey has that in store for me. I don't know what they'd have to gain." But his continued questions had her falling back onto the blankets staring at the blue sky with furrowed brows. "I don't know. I don't know anything about them really." she said softly, shaking her head at the notion of joining a war. "No but...I'm going to try to help get some information on them at least. It's...hard not knowing anything."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
It's enough of an answer for him to smile kindly, aware that there are wounds that will always be tender, no matter how scarred. It's not for him to say how she should cope with that relationship, and he's grateful she does not try to dictate his own with Sunjata. That alone is proof of how far the divorced pair have come. Instead he plucks the fruit from her fingers cheekily, popping it into his mouth with a smug grin as he chews and swallows it. "But you choose to love me anyway," he teases in a musical, sing-song voice. Enjoying the bit of levity in between the darkness of their current topic of conversation.

"Makes sense to target you individually then." Not that it pleases him, but at least Harper better understands their motives. Important, in a situation like this. "I'm sure Frey would gain quite a lot. You've already done so much for them, don't sell yourself short." It's a level of closeness he envies, but one he doubts will ever find its way to him. It's almost a relief, on the other hand, to leave that to the likes of Sunjata and others. Harper would surely be a much more disappointing follower - or god forbid Demigod - than Phoebe. "Information is as valuable as weaponry in a war like this. Have you thought of speaking to the Ascended? See if they're even aware of what's going on?" Otherwise they're going off the spoken word of one side, and that doesn't sit well with Harper either. "I can ask Safrin, maybe. Ask around. Whatever I can do to help."
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe snickered, eyes flashing playfully at him. "The heart wants what the heart wants. I wouldn't call that a choice." she drawled teasingly. But she was nonplussed as he stole the berry from her fingers, happily taking up another.

She shrugged, chewing the berry slowly as she stared up at the sky. "I'm not...I just can't imagine anything they'd wish from me that I cannot accomplish as a human. They aren't...they don't..." her nose wrinkled in thought. How did she describe such an intangible? "Unless there was a real, distinct purpose for it, they just wouldn't. They wouldn't change me like thay just because they like me." she explained. The reason of 'being close to Frey' just wasn't enough. That wasn't how Frey operated. Phoebe glanced at Harper then, brows furrowed in worry. "Would you be upset if they did though?" Would he not want to be with her if she became a demigoddess?

But at the notion of telling the Ascended, she shook her head rapidly. "No. And I won't if I can avoid it. They...have a habit of acting rashly." she said, mind wandering to all of the issues they had cause by opening portals in the Greatwood and the Blight. "Right now I'm just trying to take some of the pressure off Remi and Ronin. Since they are both Demigods and Seren is too, I am sure they will be a big target. If I seem like I am snooping around, then I'll draw their attention away. Hopefully." she said.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper moves his now berry-free hand over his heart as if wounded. "Such a blow! What happened to free will?" But it's all gentle teasing, as pleased by the idea of fate as by the idea of intentional desire.

"Still, for all you may be close to them, they may have ideas or needs that you don't know. There's no point in worrying over being inadequate, they clearly adore you regardless. If the time comes, it comes." Something he feels confident in saying, at least until she asks what he thinks of the idea. Harper doesn't immediately jump to assure her that he wouldn't mind, because he doesn't really know off the top of his head whether it would bother him or not. When the answer comes, it's slow and carefully considered after a prolonged moment of silence. "Upset, no. I'd be very proud of you, and happy for you. But I would be worried for our relationship. It wouldn't help along my own insecurities, and I would worry for you more. Demigods seem to be in the center of trouble everywhere they go." In his world, demigods also have extended lives, if not immortality. He's not sure if that's the same here, but he's terrified by the prospect. Not that he intends to tell her that without knowing of course.

"That's fair. Best not give them the chance to blow it out of proportion yet. Though war isn't really something to react mildly to either." Sighing, he rakes a hand through his drying hair, tugging on the ends habitually as he tries to muddle through this new problem. "See, this is exactly why I'm concerned. Neither of us are magical, and your training is still adequate at best. Supporting Seren is one thing, but Remi and Ronin chose this path as adults. I don't want you dragged into a war and hurt or potentially killed just because you're trying to be kind and neighborly." Hopefully she'll understand that instead of taking offense.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"It comes and goes as it suits me." she snickered, leaning over to kiss his cheek.

She considered his words, deciding it wasn't worth arguing the point that she didn't consider herself inadequate...she just couldn't find a good enough purpose for it. They were perhaps different ways of looking at it the same way, but she didn't like the negative connotation of inadequacy. His concerns did worry her though, and she reached out to hold one of his hands. "We could work through it though, right? I would still be me, after all..." she said, brow furrowing with worry now. Phoebe did not want to think that this was such a fragile thing - Harper was so dependable after all. Certainly, so long as they grew together, even if her abilities changed...they could find some way to make it work.

But again she fell silent as he lectured her, eyes glancing down at the space between them. "I am not sure how wars worked in your world...but in my experience, everyone is affected by them. I grew up in a wartorn kingdom remember." she said softly. Innocent people were always dragged into the middle, no matter how hard they tried to stay out of it. She looked up at him again, eyes pleading that he would understand. "I just...if given the option I would rather prepare myself for it, and hope it never comes to pass than try to avoid it and be faced with it unprepared. And Remi and Ronin aren't just neighbors...they're my family."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Her hesitancy and words alone make him sigh. Today was supposed to be a day of celebration, confession, and happiness. Yet already it seems to be tainted with this new topic. "Could we? And if you stayed young while I grew old? If your Gods asked you to do something I couldn't agree with, your loyalty would rip you apart. I would support you and stay by your side, don't think I wouldn't still try for us. I'm not condemning the idea, I'd still be ecstatic for you if you were chosen." And he would, of that he is sure, with a sincerity in his breast that is undeniable and more than just convincing himself of a better outcome. "But it wouldn't erase my concerns about how it may affect us is all I'm saying. We'd just...have to try and figure it out. Like we've always had to do." Because nothing ever seems to be easy for the two of them, gods damn it.

"Wars in my world devastated entire countries. Whole cities, populations. Torchline could be winked out with the push of one greedy finger. I know exactly what war does, Phoebe, I've fought in them." His voice remains mild, lest she think he's scolding her when he's merely reminding her that she's not the only one to have seen war. Only his had been all the more terrifying and unpredictable with atomic weapons, godlike villains, and hyped up technology to contend with. Harper knows exactly what that trauma tastes like, he still dreams of it sometimes. "I'm not saying don't prepare for it. I'm saying you're sounding sacrificial, involving yourself on behalf of two adult demigods who are arguably far more equipped to fight this war than you. Can you not see why I'd be worried? Family or not, would they not want to protect you in return? You said information gathering, now suddenly you're talking of attracting attention. That's a big, dangerous jump, and one that concerns me as your boyfriend." Hopefully that's a better explanation, though Harper's voice is defeated and monotone. Already expecting her to rail against him in disagreement, and mourning the happy tone they'd previously been wrapped up in.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
His questions should have made her frown more. She should have gotten increasingly worked up. But instead, she smiled, a light laugh escaping her lips. Leaning forward, Phoebe placed a gentle kiss on his nose. "You have a worry for everything, don't you?" she said softly. But she sighed, shaking her head a bit. "I told you this so you would know...so you wouldn't think I was trying to hide something, not to send you off the deep end of your anxiety." she said, squeezing his hand a bit.

Phoebe nodded at his description, certain that war was far different in his world with all their technology. But as he went on at length she sighed a bit, not sure he was hearing what she said. "I know why you're worried. I'm not saying you shouldn't be worried. I'm just not sure there is any way to avoid worry. These...people are going to involve me whether I draw attention to myself or not." she said. But then she looked up at him, brows knitting together. "But...could you stop qualifying everyone else involved in this as being an adult as if I am not one?" she asked, tone soft but pleading.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Admittedly he's surprised she doesn't snap or continue to try and turn this into an argument. Harper is not good at arguments, more the type to retreat and cool down, always too afraid of losing any of his tightly locked down self-control. Of...blanking out. Hurting someone. So instead he sighs and smiles, relieved, and leans into the kiss she places on his nose. "I have to worry, have to think of every possible outcome. It's all that's kept me alive sometimes. But I'll try to be better." It's all he can promise her sincerely. To try. To strive to be better for both their sakes. For their relationship.

"If I can keep you from their clutches, you have to know I'll do whatever it takes. You know that right? Which is why it kills me to hear you say you'll distract them." He wants to keep her safe, far away from all this, even if it means getting his own hands dirty. Something he hasn't had to do since falling into Caido. "I'm sorry, that's not what I'm trying to imply. But they're both older men, the safety of their child should be their primary concern, not yours. If I can help, I will. I'd rather it be me than you, any time. Okay?" He reaches to cup her cheek, shadows in his pretty blue eyes. "I already lost one person I loved to war. I can't do it again."
and watch me come alive