A woman has no face
For ludo
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
one liner quote starts out here
I'd gotten an idea recently: born more outta being utterly self reliant and distrusting a lot of folk than anything else. An' there are a lot of people out there with fancy gadgets. I want one of my own. Well, two really, but I ain't dumb enough to push my luck.

There's really only one obvious choice for this request, and I have to admit I don't know much about Ludo. Other than, y'know, everyday life an' schoolin' an' shit. My family just never was the prayin' an worship type. Accepted as far back as we can remember. Ordinary folk. So this Temple... it feels strange. Stiff. Far too formal for the likes'a me, a simple bartender. But if not now, when? I'm thirty-one - what the fuck else am I waiting for?

I bring Hoa, an' a little finger trap sleeve some kid dropped during LongNight. He's wrapped around my shoulders, white and yellow to my brown and black. Standing awkwardly before the altar, I take a deep breath and look up. "Ludo? I was wondering if you could help me with somethin'."
second quote here
RAZA

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
reality whispers a different tune underwater
A bird sits on the shrine, turning one beady eye at the woman. But the bird is not flesh or bone: it is mist, congealed and black and vaguely incorporeal, eating all the light that touches it to create the appearance of a moving, two-dimensional shape. Only its eye has any color, bright green in the sea of the void. Raza cannot be sure if it is opening its mouth or speaking directly into her mind, but its voice sounds like something cold that has never been touched by the sun.

"What do you need help with, Raza? Tell me what you seek."
Random Event
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
one liner quote starts out here
For bein’ an Accepted, I sure have shit luck with the Gods who are supposed to love me.

Cause this… this can’t be Ludo. Every bit of lore says its a mask an’ rags and this… bird is more misty and black. Kinda like the goopy one at the Voice’s shrine. I’m probably a little visibly disappointed, but the curse that happened to Delta is ringin’ in my head an’ I can’t ignore it. Spirits ain’t to be messed with. Hoa is once again intrigued by this thing he can hear but cannot smell, tongue flicking in and out rapidly. I palm the finger trap offering and keep it in a closed fist.

The eye’s a bit unnerving (and so is that voice, godsdam) but it’s the only thing to really focus on “Hello. I’d like to be able to easily look like other people. To… avoid being recognized as me.” To sneak and spy and be incognito, which is entirely different than invisible. The drunk 'asleep' in the corner. The weary woman beatin' her laundry. The merchant at the market. Any and all of them.
second quote here
RAZA

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"But Raza, why would you want to be not-you?"

The bird hops off the shrine and as it does it seems to grow in size. Now it is tall, long legs and long neck that coils around so its one bright eye is peering up at her (maybe. It's hard to tell, given that it has as much detail as a shadow come to life). "Wouldn't you rather be recognized? Loved? Feared? Wouldn't you like to be in charge, instead of hiding in the shadows behind a child king?"
Random Event
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
born with salt on my skin
Good question. Good fuckin’ question. Maybe I didn’t explain it properly.

So I open my mouth to try again, but the spirit is off the shrine and growing taller, fixin’ me with it’s still too-bright eye. I stall. What do I want? To run Torchline myself? Seems like a shitload of work, even though it forever grinds against me that there’s an Outlander as Gov’ner. “I - I’ve always been happy with m’bar.” And it’s true, I love the Hanged Man, I’m happy with what I do every night. But being recognized has its downfalls.

“I - yes. And no. Are you asking if I want to be Governor of Torchline?” Because that’s what it sounds like. An’ I just want to make sure we ain’t talkin’ hypotheticals.
and the sea in my blood
RAZA

Change author:
"Do I need to ask?" Now the bird grows even larger, somehow managing to wrap around Raza like a shadowy curtain, not touching her but certainly there. The bright eye grows somehow brighter but not blinding, like a single star in the absolute dark. "You've stood in the shadows all your life. What good has it done? You have your little bar and your little title. Do you want to stay deep in the dark, never leaving your mark on the world?"

Now the shadows envelop the bartender along with her serpent companion. Everything is darkness, pitch black as a void, except that terrible glowing eye, deep within the abyss.

"You can stay in the shadows, Raza, or you can reach for the light."
Random Event
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Fuckin’ hell, this is why I don’t mess with the Gods. Yer like, livin’ your life an’ shit and then they come out an’ offer ultimatums that y’can’t refuse.

No, I saw quietly, jaw clenched, thinkin’ of all the things I would change. Not realy a people-helper, but we could stand to change some of the nasty parts’a Torchline’s culture. Things have just always been a certain way. Life went on. The shadow-bird-thing is right about one thing, what good has it done, other than help the smugglers behind the scenes? There’s barely any time to think before I’m wrapped in its wings and the eye is the only source of light. A bit cliche, but what the hell.

Jump, Raza. You can swim.

So I reach for the eye, for the light, playin’ right into whatever it wants of me. For Torchline, I tell myself, even if this is naught but somethin’ fuckin’ with me.
and the sea in my blood
RAZA

Change author:
Into the darkness Raza falls and falls and falls. There is nothing now: no bird, no sea, no shrine, just the endless black and misty abyss and that glittering, gleaming star. It's out of reach but maybe not, the strength of her will driving it toward her. Focus, Raza. Only through doing the hard work will you be able to get the light.

"Do you have what it takes?"
Random Event
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Its like bein’ caught in a rip tide that wants to take me down - and it does, swallowin’ me up until there’s nothing left of the shrine. There’s air but no bird anymore, just whatever it was made of - black and black and more black. Even Hoa is gone, and afterwards I’ll probably feel guilty as fuck about it, but right now I have to swim against the current, I have to reach the light. It feels like I’m kicking my ass off, the desire to reach the light hopefully propelling me forward even though my arms ain’t movin’.  

Do I have what it takes? Of course I have what it takes, I’m Raza fuckin' Ekambe, Torcher born an’ bred, an’ I’m a godsdam survivor in this mess of a world. I'm gonna reach that light.
and the sea in my blood
RAZA

Change author:
All of Raza's efforts pay off. After a moment or an eternity she will finally reach it, her will and tenacity the only propeller she needed. The gem fits into her hand perfectly; the bright light flashing, tearing through the dark, and suddenly Raza is--

Back exactly where she started, just now with a nice rock. Huh.

Raza has received:

Glowing rock | A pretty green rock. It glows.
Random Event
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Oh cool. All that for a rock.

Sighing and muttering some shit under my breath, I nevertheless pocket the rock. What was this supposed to be? Some sorta weird lesson about what I should be doing with my life? Like, what, some divine intervention to make me think I could be Governor of Torchline? I’m scoffin’ at myself and my stupidity, stroking Hoa, who wraps around my shoulders for comfort. He can’t tell exactly what has me riled up, but then he didn’t come here for one thing an’ then get totally blown off.

That’s twice now. The Gods can just… fuck right off. Spirits too. I’m happy where I am, thank you very much, even if it is unseen.
and the sea in my blood
RAZA