cut from similar cloth
Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Age: 41 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
First thing they do
is to substitute pleasure for pain
As much as Olavi didn't want to go and visit the humans (it never ended in anything other than him feeling faintly bored and irritated), he had to admit he was curious about the new canals that would allow the Mers to venture inland. That, and if Nerissa wanted to venture up into them (which she likely would at some point), he wanted to make himself familiar with their geography, so he could help conduct a quick getaway if needed.

He had been swimming up for a while, slowly going along to take note of each bend or split, the details of the tunnel; eventually he came out into the open air of Haulani, the street lit up around him in an evening glow. Olavi was not keen on being a spectacle for the humans to gawk at so he stayed by the entrance into the area in the shadows, watching people go by for a while. So many of them wore things he didn't recognise, spoke about things he didn't understand - it really was a totally different world up here, and as much as he didn't like to admit it, he found it intimidating.

Olavi was about to turn and head back to the sea when he saw a young man come to sit by the edge of the canal, not too far from where he was; with a bit of a stare he realised that he recognised him, though he didn't know the name. One of the many contacts at the port, someone involved in one of Torchline's many shady enterprises.

Well, maybe he'd be sociable for a bit, if only to benefit business relations, or whatever it was Nerissa called it when he bothered to put on a smile during negotiations. Swimming up close and leaning against the canal wall (still a little low down and to the side, wanting to avoid stares from the crowds on the street), he spoke softly: "Hey. You work at the docks, right? Sailing?" He was sure Milo would pick up on the euphemism.
Helping themselves figure out
there's so much they can gain
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MILO
the hope and the hurt has lived inside of me
but there's gold in the dirt
It’s a calmer day today, at least for the time being. And Milo, the poor boy can’t seem to leave well enough alone. Drifting toward the canals, a likely stupid idea in the middle of monsoon season, takes a seat along the edge — inspecting a bit of the moonstone within the rocks, before flexing his hands and sparking a small fish to swim in circles in the water below him.

Hearing a sound, he looks back toward the alley to listen to a conversation being held a bit too loud, before hearing a voice call to him from the water. His head whips toward the owner of the voice as the fish disappears, brown eyes wide as he realizes there’s a fucking person there. But when he realizes it’s a mer, more notably one he’s seen before, he huffs out a frustrated sigh before running a hand through his red hair.

Yeh, I work on the docks.” He offers, leaning forward a bit for a bit more private of a conversation. His voice drops a bit quieter, only for Olavi to hear. “What’re ya lookin’ for?” A red brow raises to that, an easy grin spreading across his face.
i never took the time to see
but i knew of its worth
Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Age: 41 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
First thing they do
Olavi couldn't help the smirk that showed on his face as he saw Milo glance around; while he had not intentionally hidden himself from the boy there was always some joy in having the element of surprise. The little sigh afterwards was interesting; Olavi raised an eyebrow, wondering if he had some beef with this guy he didn't know about: whatever it was, it had to be unimportant, because Milo did lean in to speak to him anyway.

"Nah, you got me wrong. Anything I need I can get through Nerissa." He assumed Milo would know who she was (and maybe then, through that association, remember him, as he was never far behind her on business endeavours). "Just thought I'd try to get to know you a little better, since I've seen you around my parts of the water for a long time now. Name's Olavi. And you? Are you working for the Ark, kid?"
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MILO
He fully expects there to be something this Mer wants, but when the question is answered with a familiar name, that’s when he realizes where he’s seen this mer before. The grin grows brighter, a nod of his head. “Right.” At least that takes him off the hook a bit of dealing with it. So he shifts a bit, letting his legs dangle a bit as he focuses on Olavi’s next comment.

To get to know him? Alright, sure.

Milo.” He offers with an incline of his head before he’s messing with his magic again, another fish appearing to spin in circles in the water beside Olavi. “I’m a runner. Work with Zeph mostly.” He adds before gesturing with a hand. “And you mostly deal witha water stuff, yeah?
but i knew of its worth
Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Change author:
First thing they do
Milo seemed to change, obviously recognising Nerissa's name, and Olavi couldn't help the smile on his face; something between pride and smugness at his love being recognised so easily; there really wasn't any other Mer so resourceful and good at their kind of business as Nerissa.

"Milo, right." He accepted the name with a nod of his head, but was quickly distracted by the spinning fish in the water; at first he was going to object (as much of a hardass as he was, bullying little fish still felt wrong), but then upon further inspection, Olavi began to think it might be a trick. "Runner...ain't that just a fancy name for 'more important smuggler's bitch'?" He asked, maybe trying to purposefully rattle Milo a little, see what he would do.

Though he lost that train of thought at the question he was asked, Olavi looking back and quirking an eyebrow. "...Do you see my tail? What else do you think I'd do?"
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
Olavi would be right in assuming it was a trick of sorts. A summoned little fake fish that had no feelings, spinning idly through the water and looking like it were real. Regardless, a bright laugh slips from the younger man, a wide grin shot Olavi’s way. “Yeah, jussa bit.” He snorts, shaking his head before the fish disappears again and he plants both hands behind him on the stone to lean back on.

As for the quirk of an eyebrow and the sheer feeling he gets from Olavi and his question, Milo’s easy grin remains. “Mm, well, maybe ya fly or somethin’.” It’s clearly teasing, especially at the crooked grin that flashes along his face. “But I meant ‘fer Jack. Not so mucha the water shit.” It’s his turn to offer a slight raise of his brow back toward Olavi with that – how much did their little web collide.
but i knew of its worth
Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Change author:
First thing they do
Olavi appreciated someone who could take a joke, especially one that was pretty much true. "What's Zeph got you runnin' for, then? Does he pay well? I saw him with another boy recently..." A slight smirk came over Olavi's face and he raised an eyebrow as he looked back up at Milo. "...Wondered if he was training someone new up. You're not worried you're getting too old for his work, are you?"

Milo's sense of humour worked again, Olavi forgiving the moment of stupidity after the joke. "No flying." Honestly, quite a terrifying idea: he often felt unnerved by the small amount of surface he could access above the waves, waist-high; to go higher sounded uniquely awful.

"...I've been there when deals with Jack were made. I don't do much of the dealing myself, though. Never been much for the circles they all talk around each other - I just punch when things get too hot." Olavi was not under any delusions that he had an intellectual part in the business he was involved in: that was Nerissa's job. "..Haven't had to actually enforce anything in a whiiiile, though. You humans are getting soft."
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
Dark brows raise at the audacity of the first comment, though it’s part one of his mask – a look of innocence, shielded with amusement at the idea of it, even if he swirls with uncertainty within. “Nah, ‘sides, that lil punk’s just a bear shit.” He rumbles, waving a hand to pass it off. “Wouldn’t know th’ first thing ‘bout Torchline. Zeph won’t get rid ‘a me.” And honestly, even if Milo hasn’t met Felix, Milo can come to assumptions. Also because Sky doesn’t wanna constantly thread with herself.

At least the flight joke goes easy, and Milo rests again – bracing his arms on his legs in front of him while he watches Olavi – absently watching the ripples the merman creates within the waves. “Yeah, well, with the Ark gettin’ fucked earlier, hard to have anythin’ of worth for you lot.” Milo responds with a huff of a laugh. At the very least, Milo’d been busy working along the docks, honing his summoning skills where he could.
but i knew of its worth
Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Change author:
First thing they do
"Bear shit? Damn. Mostly just seemed kinda...young to me, I dunno." Olavi shrugged, his impression of Felix mostly being 'asked too many questions' or 'looked way too excited about my tail'. "Zeph a good boss, then? I've heard a lotta these smuggler boss types can be way too fucking demanding for the pay they're giving. 'Course, Nerissa doesn't pay me...well. Not in a usual way." A grin spread across Olavi face, and he assumed the meaning was obvious.

Last time he'd seen the Ark it had been just fine: curiously, Olavi looked up over his shoulder. "What happened to it? Boats always seem so fucking fragile...you should all just learn to be stronger swimmers."
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
Rumor has it he can turn into a fuckin’ bear of some kind.” He explains, rolling his shoulders in a shrug before nodding along. “And yeah, he’s young.” Milo doesn’t know how young, but rumors spread like wildfire in a dry forest out here in Torchline, and he’s heard quite a few enough to know.

As for Zeph being a good boss? The grin comes back as he nods – running a hand through his red hair. “Yeah, Zeph’s good. Always has been.” He offers with a small laugh at the fact that Nerissa had a payment plan of sorts with Olavi. He doesn’t want to think about the details or intricacies of it, already knowing what the mer means by as simple of a statement as that.

When it came to the Ark, however, Milo shrugs. “Ain’t sure.” And it’s true, he didn’t really know what was wrong with the boat – he was the one that hung out on the docks mostly. Never really did anything with the ship itself. As for being stronger swimmers, Milo smirks to that. “Aye, I’m a good swimmer. Doubt I could haul shit back with me, though.” And that’s where boats were extremely useful, at least.
but i knew of its worth
Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Change author:
First thing they do
"...I've never seen a bear." Olavi realised as he said it, rubbing his chin as he wondered quite what one would look like; probably big, with four legs...maybe hairy, from what he'd heard..and it could swim, so probably had fins...he'd have to find a way to get Felix to transform in front of him one day so he could see for himself.

Zeph being a good boss was largely incidental, but it gave Olavi more of an idea of the man when it came to scheming with Nerissa; someone with morals or honour was nice in theory, but in practice easy to scam and mess with. "How old are you, kid? You don't look like you've been in this business too long." He asked after a moment, arms crossed, as he considered Milo.

Olavi was not one for pity or concern for strangers, but he'd always thought it was a shame when sweet young humans got themselves involved in their seedy underworld for a quick buck; it was very rare they ever left. "Quitters never get anywhere." He said, a grimly ironic joke with himself.
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
Me neither.” Milo chirps quickly after Olavi’s comment of never seeing a bear. They weren’t common here, and his imagination also got the best of him. He imagines it’s like a mix between a giant dog and a giant cat. Fuzzy all over with sharp claws. But in all reality, seemed kind of monstrous, and that’s about as much as he knew.

But then Olavi’s asking how old he is, and he raises a brow to that. “I’m over twenty. ‘n I’ve been doin’ this since I was eleven.” A decade, really, of getting involved in the rest of it. But still, there’s a raise of his brow to what Olavi’s trying to get at. As much as Milo knows, he lives and breathes the underground here. He’d have it no other way.

Still, there’s a snort that replaces any swirling anxieties at the mention of quitters never getting anywhere, a rise and fall of Milo’s shoulders. “I prefer t’be livin’ at least.” Better to be a quitter than dead.
but i knew of its worth
Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Change author:
First thing they do
"Eleven...fuck." Olavi shook his head; the tiny bit of him that still had morals and cared about other people cringed, thinking of an eleven year old kid getting whisked up into the world of smuggling in Torchline: it wasn't a pretty place. A dark rabbit hole for an adult, never mind a child. He sighed, finding himself getting somewhat sad and grumpy with this conversation.

Pushing himself off the edge, he looked at Milo over his shoulder. "I hope you stay that way too, kid." And with that, as abruptly as ever, he was gone.

{FIN}
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!