don't shut down on me now
Nate! <3
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
// seventeen and bad, was the best you never had and you won't, sins you never said for yourself
seven, six, five, four, three, two, one. everybody got a name, everybody got a number //
Alright, so maybe he really had a stupid idea this time. But he’d summoned a small house cat – got too distracted and followed its movements (his orchestrations) toward the sandy beaches. If anyone asked, it was simply to save said cat from the storm and not just a way to try and get out of the house again. After all, he’d almost had the poor thing.

It isn’t until he’s further away from where the people roam to a space where people are few and far between – stopping with his ‘here kitty kitty’ show as he makes the feline disappear – shoving his hands into his pockets as he simply takes a stroll, unsure what else would be on the agenda for today. It seems like, for the moment at least, that the storm is calmed down, and with it Milo’s feeling a bit more at ease.
MILO
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
// if you really don't mind, take me as i am, take me as i am when you get a chance
take your time, i understand, believe me when i say i carry all my sins //
Honestly, Flowerbirth has proven to be the most welcoming Tochline has been to Nate. Not that he'd complain about the sun, the beaches, but there is something to be said about being able to wander the streets, even if it is in between gale force winds and driving rain. He's not out for any particular purpose, not beyond checking the work that's been done in between the flashes of storms, but something still manages to catch his eye, some purpose still calls.

A cat, heading towards the beach, with a man on its heels.

Up until now, Nate has had no luck trying to find a seer cat, the few he's managed to trail after faster than him, more familiar with ways to disappear. He would never admit, not even to himself, that a cat could be smarter than him, but... some things can be true without being voiced.

He follows the man following the cat on silent feet, not sure what his plan is yet, not sure if it even is a seer cat. Before he gets the chance to figure it out though, the cat disappears, and before he can stop himself a frustrated hiss escapes through his fangs. "Where'd the cat go?"
NATE
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
// seventeen and bad, was the best you never had and you won't, sins you never said for yourself
seven, six, five, four, three, two, one. everybody got a name, everybody got a number //
The cat disappears swiftly, Milo stuffing his hands into his pockets again as he begins to traverse down the alley. He doesn’t hear Nate as he arrives – the Ascended moving on silent feet after all. But he does hear the question, the hiss of frustration, just in time to make him jump and spin – hands out of his pockets and forming a fist as if he might just take the first punch.

Dark eyes scan Nate as his heart thunders in his chest, brows furrowing at the mention of the cat. It takes him a second to realize Nate had been looking at the cat he’d summoned and sent away with magic, and a sly grin crosses his face as he recovers. “What cat?” He asks, turning from Nate then, a bit cheeky as he shoves his hands in his pockets again. “What’d it look like?” A raise of his brow as he looks back over his shoulder at Nate, spending a moment to fuck with the other man as he summons yet a different can and causes it to dart across the alley in front of them – unable to ‘see’ it from where Milo’s looking back at Nate.
MILO
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
// if you really don't mind, take me as i am, take me as i am when you get a chance
”Good instincts.” Even in his urgency, Nate can spare the breath for a compliment, head tilting down towards the raised fist. His one eye looks up and down Milo quickly, sizing him up and finding him not worth the worry, especially not once he calms, and lowers his hands again.

The grin that spreads across the kid’s face sparks trouble in the back of his mind, Nate’s brows pulling together. ”The cat that you were following. Looked like... I dunno, a cat?” The last word trails off, movement behind Milo catching Nate’s eye, his hand coming up to steady the the other shoulder while he brushes past, darting after the cat.

The timing and the grin both have him convinced this is some kind of trick, but he can’t risk missing out if it isn’t. He needs that blood.
NATE
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
The praise is a surprise, but Milo tucks it away for later, not knowing who Nate is nor wanting to let him think his words held weight. Milo was proud of the fact that he was quick to react, quick to throw a punch where he could when taken by surprise. It’s also part of the reason he’s so determined on fucking with this man, letting the cat run by where he’s not looking but knowing it’s there as Nate reaches his shoulder and moves past.

Ah, so it’ll be like that then. “Ye, okay. But what color?” He probes, moving to follow Nate and keep the game going. But Milo thinks better of it after a moment, letting the cat run into a box where it could be easily trapped. “Aye, is that the cat? In the box?” He questions, pointing to the crate where a fluffy tail pokes out, the smuggler moving to grab a piece of wood for a lid of sorts for Nate.

Only, when Nate does capture said cat and opens the box, the cat will be gone. And at that point all Milo’d be able to do is snicker.
MILO
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Orange." The answer is hissed over Nate's shoulder, as he grows more and more convinced this is some kind of trick. Especially when the cat makes a mistake no other has, backing itself into a corner. "I'm really hoping it's the cat. In the box." He accepts the makeshift lid, slamming it down over the box perhaps a touch more aggressively than is entirely necessary.

And when he lifts it, revealing absolutely nothing, it takes everything he has to not scream in frustration. "I know you think this is real funny," And it would be, if he didn't have an eye hanging in the balance, if he wasn't on the receiving end of it, "but you're kind of fucking up my day here kid." The lid is tossed to the side carelessly, Nate rising to his full height and fixing the redhead with a stare.

"I don't suppose you can make a real cat appear like that, huh?"
NATE
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
An orange cat, huh? The grin that spreads across Milo’s face as soon as Nate realizes the box is empty is full of amusement and childishness. He can’t help it though, not with how desperate the man seemed to be when it came to trying to catch that particular cat. But then the one eyed stare comes back for the red head, and Milo stands up a bit taller, arms crossed along his chest – sizing up this man even if he is shorter than Nate.

Y’missin’ a cat or somethin’?” A brow raises with that question, though the edge of the grin remains. How’s he ruining it, anyway? Nate rises up to his full height and Milo’s amber gaze follows him. “Depends on the kinda cat. A housecat? Yeh, sure, why not?” He holds his arms out, summoning a jet black cat with bright blue eyes, purring in his arms that he cradles close and flashes a wider grin at Nate.
MILO
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
It's not that he necessarily means to be intimidating, but old habits do die hard, especially in a situation like this, his emotions running high. "No. Not missing. I just... need to find one." Nate doesn't mention the blood, knowing even in his haze of irritation that that's only going to hurt his case, when he's certain it already doesn't look good.

At least the nature of the trick is shown off, a cat appearing in the stranger's arms like magic. "Not a house cat. I need a seer cat." There's still a touch of urgency in his voice, just a touch. Now that he's not being actively prodded at Nate can manage to let a little charm drip out, in the sudden syrupy grin, the crinkling of his one good eye as he looks down at the definitely not real cat in Milo's arms.
NATE
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
A red brow raises at Nate’s insistence. Not lost a cat, but simply looking for one. Well, there’s tons of house cats hanging around the streets, easily bribed by pieces of fish from the docks. So he waits, confusion flickering in his amber gaze as he focuses on Nate, stroking the cat in his arms as it purrs wildly.

A sear cat? “Oy, why didn’tcha say so?” The cat in his arms disappears and Milo flashes Nate a wide grin. “Lookin’ for some storm predictin’?” He asks with a hum of a laugh slipping from his throat. But he’s moving past Nate now, slipping toward the docks where he’d last seen one, making those little kissy sounds that most cats enjoyed hearing. “Hopefully she's where she usually is.” He hums, glancing over his shoulder – sure the desperate man behind him would be following him.

He continues to make those little sounds while he walks through the edges of the docks until he stops nearby where the Ark sits when it’s in town, spying a fluffy grey striped tail. “Fluff, y’there?” He croons. “A 'course.” Comes the mrowr from inside, Milo leaning to rest against a post as the cat claws herself up from the bottom of a barrel.
MILO
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Cause someone decided to start jerking me around with fake cats." There's less heat in his voice now that it seems like they're finally getting somewhere. He's all too eager to follow after Milo, though the question gives him a moment's pause. "I didn't know they could predict storms. I need a uh... I need a favour from it, I guess." It's the mildest way to explain he needs some cat's blood without sounding like some kind of serial killer. He's known people who did that, it's not a vibe he wants to give off, even at his most threatening.

Though recently his tune has started to change, Nate is not at his core a cat person, the kissy noises are as bemusing as they are mystifying, though if it gets him a sear cat he's willing to hope backwards on one foot. The reality ends up just as strange though, as the red-head calls a name, and a voice answers. For a moment, all Nate can do is stare, absolutely dumbfounded. The day to day reality of Caido is almost impossible to believe, but in the end, it's a talking cat that finally stumps him so badly he actually needs a moment, a confused smile clinging to his face. "It can... you can talk?" He quickly goes from addressing Milo to addressing 'Fluff', not sure if it's rude to talk about an apparently sentient animal.
NATE
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
A satisfied grin is shot back toward Nate with that comment, a shrug of his shoulders. He’s got nothing to add to that – he had been jerking Nate around, fucking with the man. Of course, Milo doesn’t know the situation, doesn’t know why Nate needs a sear cat so fucking badly. He wouldn’t be himself if he didn’t fuck with him a little, at least especially during Monsoon season. Still, the comment of a favor from a sear cat seemed like tricky business, and Milo lets out a sharp whistle that’s akin to ‘ah, well, good luck mate’.

But Fluff appears from the bottom of the barrel, her bright yellow gaze focusing on the Ascended, her long striped tail wrapping around her as her whiskers twitch in response to Nate’s question. “Sear cats talk.” She begins, head tilting a bit to the side, the end of her tail flicking with a smidge of annoyance, her gaze narrowing as she focuses on it. “And you need blood, yes?” It’s said as a question, but she stares with the hint of confirmation, while Milo’s brows raise – his head turning between Ascended and cat.
MILO
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
God, he really had been overconfident going into this, hadn't he? Catch a cat, get its blood, should be easy, right? And now he learns no, he's just been getting outsmarted by mundane cats, and a sear cat is something else entirely. His diving mood is only compounded by the whistle, the utter lack of faith form someone who Nate can only assume is a native if he's so familiar with the local haunts of cats.

"I... pardon me, I didn't know." Nate still wants something, so it still feels safer to err on the side of polite. At the end of the day, there are only so many strange things he can actually react to, and Nate has managed to hit that quota in a matter of moments. The fact that the cat already knows what he needs is barely a drop in the bucket at this point, barely even makes him blink. "I do. Not a lot." Just enough, however much that was. He assumed he'd know once he had it. "I can get you a nice fish for it? A pile of them maybe?" Honestly, he'd dive in the ocean and catch something with his hands if it meant this would happen easily.
NATE
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
Milo shifts a bit from where he leans, curiosity getting the best of him as he focuses on Nate and the responses – committing some of them to memory, wondering if Zeph would be interested. Of course, Milo’d need to get Nate’s name first, sure that ‘some random guy chasing a cat for blood’ wouldn’t exactly narrow things down without a few more descriptors.

Never seen one a me before.” The sear cat purrs, whiskers flicking as if she’s brushing off his apology. Still, golden eyes focus on Nate with a similar predatory intensity. Not a lot, but still not exactly a measurement. The cat’s tail flickers as she waits for what Nate can offer, and she mulls it over. “To fix your eye, yes?” She once again questions, even if it’s confirmation. But then she’s stretching out, ears perked toward Nate as she shakes out her grey coat.

A few more moments of consideration and she’s sitting again. “Here. Five fish.” She pauses, head cocking to the side again, a paw lifting as if she’s to gesture this exact barrel, waiting for him to confirm it. And then she’s warily extending out her leg, eyes never leaving Nate.
MILO
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
”Never.” Nate confirms, sparing a sidelong glance at the man who led him to the cat, as if to check and make sure that he’s not the only one seeing this, that this isn’t some highly specific and desperate fantasy. His one eyed gaze returns to the cat when she speaks again, a silent nod leaving him in response. It’s more information than he wants shared, really, but he doesn’t have too much of a choice.

His offer is accepted though, after a moment of apparent thought, raspy voice making a deal that seems all too easy to fulfill. ”I can get you five fish today.” He beams, fumbling in his pockets for a vial, a little needle. It’s convenient sometimes, being a doctor, having easy access to these things. He draws just enough blood to fill the vial, and prays that it will be enough for the Voice’s plans.

When his task is done, he tucks away the vial and thanks the cat, before turning back to Milo, far more put together now that he’s fulfilled both halves of his quest. There’s even a bright smile on his face, the tricks from earlier fondly remembered now that he’s gotten his way. ”Don’t suppose you know a place I can get fresh caught fish fast?”

Even if Milo doesn’t, it’s doesn’t take a great amount of effort to dive into the ocean and collect them himself, this particular debt easily paid off.

Done
NATE