{open} beyond the trees
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper's eyes widened at Amalia's words -- not at the initial statement; Juniper had heard plenty of Fae declare their violent intentions towards the Ascended. It didn't surprise her to hear that such a private vendetta had succeeded at least once, either. Rather, the dismemberment was what startled her -- it seemed so gory, gratuitous, uncivilized. Why send corpse parts across the land?

But Juniper could imagine why, if she really thought about it: as a declaration of intent. A declaration of war.

"I didn't know about that," Juniper said, truthful as her blood demanded she be. "If that is Alina's policy, it was never communicated to me."

But ... would she stand for it? That was the real question, and it was harder to answer. Juniper could claim ignorance all day, but if she had known, what would she have done?

She could omit, but she couldn't lie, and she didn't even really want to hide much from Amalia -- the woman seemed sharp, and their open conversation felt important. Juniper took a deep breath.

"You are more familiar with the world beyond the Greatwood than I am -- I am here to learn -- so I believe you if you tell me that we will not get far in relations with other lands by slaughtering a portion of their citizens. I can certainly understand why even non-Ascended leaders would be alarmed and mistrustful after such an event."

Juniper paused. She was coming to the same conclusion Amalia had: this conversation hinged on the meaning of "justice," a usefully ambiguous word. Were Juniper more of a politician, she might have taken shelter behind it. But no, she wanted to communicate clearly.

"I do believe, personally, that the Ascended who attacked us deserve to die for what they did. I don't think that guilt applies to all Ascended -- to those who have become Ascended since the attack, for example, though I should confess I wouldn't be quick to trust them either. But for those who were involved ... You used the word 'trial' -- I think that would be a good idea, diplomatically and morally. The Ascended should be brought to trial and have a chance to defend themselves, and the Fae should have a chance to press our case."

Juniper paused again, thinking deeply. She hadn't expected to start framing policy when she walked out of the Greatwood this morning, but maybe this was part of the job -- thinking on her feet, coming up with new ideas. "I can't bind my people to anything, you understand -- not on so important an issue, not without speaking to Nephele and Alina. And there would be little question of innocence; it would be simply a matter of sentencing. Not to mention that I have no idea who both sides would accept as a neutral judge or jury. But I would rather see some sort of trial, some diplomatic solution, than a full-blown war."
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
why else love if not to feel the stars exploding in our veins?
"I doubt your kinswomen feel the same," Amalia mutters darkly, though it is good to hear that Juniper, at least, sees slaughter as an unjust course. Sighing she drops her feet back to the ground, bare toes pressing to the cobblestones, grounding her in the world.

"Two of them are already dead," the girl points out, looking back at Juniper with a frank, tired expression. "But the one who was killed had nothing to do with the Mathair. If Alina wants justice, she should go to those responsible. Not allow her attack dog to cut down innocents."

The fire that blazes in her eyes fades as quickly as it rose, replaced by tired resignation. She places her palms upon the bench, tilting her head up to the sky. "Most of the Ascended didn't know what they were doing when they chose their paths- or, worse, weren't given a choice. I hate the Voice and all she stands for, but I can't find it in myself to blame the Ascended for what they have become. Only pity them."
Amalia
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper grimaced. She wasn't shocked to hear that a Fae killed an innocent Ascended, but she certainly wasn't happy about it. "I'll have to speak with Alina about what she wants, and about what we want, as a people. We need a better way to move forward than just ambushing and killing each other."

As Amalia continued, Juniper nodded. "I don't think merely being Ascended is a capital crime. The Voice leads them down a dark path, one that my people cannot sit by and permit. But those who follow her down that path must be held accountable for their actions, even if they come from her orders and not from their own desires."

table by Skylark
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
why else love if not to feel the stars exploding in our veins?
At least they seem to be finding common ground, which is better than Amalia could say for her last interaction with Nephele. Though she can never understand the breadth of what the Fae lost in the death of the Mathair, she knows what it is to feel rage and blame, to cast anger in a blanket instead of a focused beam.

She's quiet for a long time before rising with a nod. "I'm glad there is someone like you among the Fae," Amalia says softly, sincerely, offering a hand to the smaller woman. "And... I am so, so sorry. For what happened to the woods. If there is anything I can do - if the woods ever need aid - please do not hesitate to call on me. I should get back to work, but... it was nice to meet you, Juniper."
Amalia
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper smiled back. She appreciated Amalia's approval -- and her sympathy. "Thank you -- I'll certainly keep that in mind. And thank you for speaking with me. You've given me a lot to think about, and I enjoyed meeting you as well."

Her words were, of course, nothing but the truth. Amalia had provided her with invaluable insight into the conflict between the Fae and the Ascended, not to mention how other outsiders perceived the matter. Juniper hadn't even known about the murder ... a failing of her own, perhaps, but one she was glad Amalia had helped her rectify.

Taking her leave of Amalia, Juniper headed back towards the Greatwood. She could have stayed in the Grounds for longer, but she thought she'd gotten quite enough information for one day -- now she needed to process it and figure out what to do.

Well, she knew the first step: she most definitely needed to talk to Nephele and Alina.

||FIN||

table by Skylark