Getting to know you
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
You know I still like you the most
The best of the best
However the meeting went (hopefully peacefully) Sam knew that after it would be one of the best chances he had to meet Ascended, to do what the Voice had asked him; honestly the idea of it was still somewhat intimidating, social meetings never having been his forte, but he was thankful she had not given him an overwhelming physical or fearsome task.

As they all left the house he continued to push himself to speak to someone, anyone, ask for a skill or experience to learn, but his mouth seemed to not want to open. It was only when they were out in the fields, most people turning to walk back home, that he finally found the courage to stop someone: Mara, a woman he barely knew, but that was the point of the whole exercise, wasn't it?

"Um, hello. I was wondering...The Voice asked me to speak to the other Ascended and ask them to show me any skills or...or anything like that. Would you mind?" He asked, wishing all the confidence he'd gained had helped him at all when it came to first meetings.
and the worst of the worst
You'll always be my favorite ghost
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mara Tisifone

Age: 39 | Height: 5' 7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 20 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
we need love, but all we want is danger.
we team up, then switch sides like a record changer
Mara is dressed in nearly nothing: her bronzey skin looking excellent beneath a light sheen of sweat. Covering her unmentionables is a leather number that she's quite fond of. It draws the eye away from the daggers in her hands, which is precisely the point. Ascended though she might be, the majority of the population isn't and Mara isn't above using every asset that she has on offer to give herself a competitive edge.

Glancing over her shoulder at the rather awkward member of her fluid-family, Mara grins a dazzlingly white smile as she flings a dagger straight towards Sam's chest. He can either catch it, avoid it, or let it stick straight into him. Really, it's all up to him.

"Catch." She calls, when the blade is already well on its way toward him.
the rumours are terrible and cruel, but, honey most of them are true
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The best of the best
Mara turned and Sam, realising that her outfit was indeed as revealing as it was in the back at the front, immediately tried to avert his eyes out of embarrassment. Of course, this worked right into Mara's plan and it was only the flash of metal coming towards him that alerted Sam of the knife flying rapidly at his chest; out of instinct he held his hands up, managing to knock it off course but cutting his finger, the knife itself falling to the ground with a clatter.

With a somewhat offended, confused frown, he held his fluid-leaking finger up, looking accusatory at Mara. "If you didn't want to teach me, you just had to say!" He whined, stepping backwards but now keeping his eyes very much on her, in case she had any more knives to throw.
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mara Tisifone

Age: 39 | Height: 5' 7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Laughing brightly as her knife fell to the ground, Mara begins to casually slink forward with a predatory smirk on her lips. "That is teaching you." She corrects coldly. "When was the last time someone gave you a heads up before throwing a knife your way?" Mara shakes her head. "You gotta quit with those books of yours, Sam. Life ain't some story. This is how the world works: you're either fast, or you die." She shrugs as she leans down to pick up the knife and quickly pretending to throw it at him again.

Hopefully he flinches or does something, but regardless, Mara will simply smile knowingly.

"Lesson one. Always be on the lookout for knives flying at your face."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
The best of the best
"People don't usually throw knives at me." Sam replied, still annoyed, though that was sadly becoming less and less true as time went on. Mara leaned down to pick her knife up and he stepped back from her, warily watching; thankfully he was prepared enough to not flinch too embarrassingly when she pretended to throw it again. Feeling as if he were being insulted by somebody far better at insulting than he could ever be, he just made a face, wishing he had some kind of witty comeback about his books.

It did seem as if Mara was trying to teach him something, though. Crossing his arms, Sam raised an eyebrow. "What set of skills is this? Because that seems rather obvious."
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mara Tisifone

Change author:
"That won't be much of an excuse when you're fluiding-out on the ground half-dead." Mara quips in reply. The face Sam pulls just has his fellow ascended scowling condescendingly his way. "Good one, Sam." She taunts with a roll of her eyes.

"You say it's obvious and yet..." Mara pauses to let him fill in those blanks for himself. If it was so obvious, why'd my dagger nearly impale you? "But by all means, you want to stay a bookworm who spooks at his own shadow, be my guest." So saying the elder ascended lets her blades revolve easily in her grasp, the movement practiced and elegant.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
The best of the best
Mara was obviously far, far cooler than him and therefore had the advantage in any kind of banter; Sam gave up with a quiet sigh, knowing that anything he argued back would sound like nerdy whining (and may in fact have been, nerdy whining).

"..Alright, fine. What are you trying to teach me? How to dodge?" He asked, hoping she wouldn't answer with another tossed knife; dodging could be a valuable skill, given what had happened recently with Wessex. "Maybe I should learn some more useful fighting skills..." Sam had been, admittedly, pretty useless in a lot of the quests he'd tagged along on.
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mara Tisifone

Change author:
"Well, what are you? Offense, or defense?" If it was up to Mara to answer, she knows what she'd pick in an instant. But who knows, maybe the ginger would surprise her and go the bold route. Word on the street was when Sam fucked off from the Voice, he lost all of his upgrades as well. If ever there was a time for reinvention, now was it.

Raising a perfectly sculpted brow, the older ascended runs her teeth along her fangs as she regards her counterpart with a cool stare. There isn't much to work with when it comes to Sam, neutered as he's been, but blank slates and all that. Besides, it wasn't like she was doing anything else this afternoon.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
The best of the best
"Um, defense. Definitely defense." No surprise there, but he wasn't looking to become a warrior: there were other Ascended better suited to that job and Sam had always, when he had been successful in more action-based endeavours, been better suited to sneaking in the background and defending himself.

Had he known he was being described as 'neutered', he'd have been offended (though it was true that without his upgrades, he was remarkably weak), but as it was Sam stood up straighter, trying to get himself into the headspace to learn combat moves: not what he thought he'd be doing with his afternoon, but the Voice had wanted him to learn new things. "Okay. Tell me what to do...but please don't throw anything at me right away again."
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mara Tisifone

Change author:
'Alright.' For all her snark and sass, Mara doesn't seem at all ruffled by this. A good defence is an important tool, and though she'll malign Sam for many things in the training session to come, this won't be one of them.

"Well, here's the thing Sammy-Sam." Mara leans in conspiratorially, her voice sticky-sweet. "You don't really get to ask the bad guys, or the dragons trying to bite your head off to just not attack right away." Straightening, her daggers flickering around her fingers once again, the ascended just shakes her head. "That's one of your problems. You think you can just ask the world to go easy on you." She shrugs. "You can't."

Walking backward a few steps, Mara raises her fists so that each dagger is pointing toward Sam. Her knees are slightly bent, dark eyes fixed on him. "Okay. If I was going to attack you, where do you think it would come from?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
The best of the best
As much as the way Mara said it dripping with patronising sarcasm, Sam couldn't really argue with her point; he'd found that no matter how much he wanted a break, Caido at large didn't care about how he wanted things to be. He gave only a tight-lipped nod, hoping she'd get on with the lesson and stop pointing out his flaws soon (because otherwise, he may well have become too demotivated to continue).

Thankfully, she did. He adopted what he hoped was a good defensive stance opposite her, his knees slightly bent and his arms out to the side a little; it would allow him to dart away if he had to, though he likely looked a little goofy. "Um...it looks like you'd jump forward and attack me from...above?" Sam guessed, looking over her stance, and tried to raise an arm upwards to block an oncoming attack.
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mara Tisifone

Change author:
From above? He fucking wishes. "Nope." To be fair, Sam would have no way of knowing what was coming for him.

Is that Mara's problem though? Absolutely not.

A dagger made of pure electricity shoots toward his chest. Defensive stance or no, unless the ascended does something particularly clever he's in for a nasty shock. Daggers are your thing, so hopefully, Sam will forgive you for the constant use of them. "Always be prepared for anything, but in this world, assume that every asshole as some sort of magic or upgrade up their sleeve." The most deadly weapons were usually the ones you couldn't see.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
The best of the best
"Oh." Sam wasn't sure if there was an actual way he had been meant to know her direction from her pose, if he was missing something or if Mara was simply teasing him for his lack of knowledge. Either way, being wrong likely meant she was going to advance from some other direction so he tried to be ready, watching her carefully.

However, she was right in thinking he had no way of being prepared for what she threw out. Sam yelled as the electricity hit his chest, the shock of it enough to make him cry out even without the pain, and he stumbled back, looking wounded at Mara. "This isn't a lesson. You're just -- you're just hurting me for fun." Not caring how whiny he sounded he took a few more steps backwards, putting distance between them.

"I think..I think I'm done. You aren't tell me what to do, you're just...throwing things at me." How he wished he had his upgrades; without them there was little he could do but take the hits.
SAMuEL
Base Code by Sky!
Mara Tisifone

Change author:
Scowling at Sam, Mara crosses her arms across her chest, raising a perfectly arched eyebrow at him. "Not all lessons come with step by step instructions kid. Besides, it isn't like you're hurt. Your body anyway. Your feelings aren't my problem." Neither was Sam, really, and if he wanted to cry off because he couldn't take the hits, well...that wasn't her problem either.

"But fine. Run off if you want." It's what you always do, her pointed stare seemed to say. Could Mara have been a better teacher about all of this? Yes..probably. But then again, she wasn't wrong. And neither was Sam in a way. Being taught something wasn't the same as being in a fight, it's just...well, this is how the assassin had learned, so it was the only way she knew to teach.