[Seasonal Event] Winterlight
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Of course he couldn't see anything obviously changed in her eyes - he'd never studied them so closely before her Ascension, so how would he know what was different now? The darkness, lit mostly by glowstones and stars, hardly helped matters, but his curiosity made it instinctive for him to try. He didn't let the moment linger too long, careful of propriety and just as concerned about the drawbacks of her condition, though her smile and reassurance set him a little more at ease, even though he wasn't sure he would ever be able to make a similar decision, knowing what he did now about the cost.

"Then I am glad we are friends," he said, squeezing her hand with a smile, not trying to be charming but simply sincere.

The moment was interrupted - or, perhaps, enhanced - by the appearance of the luxere as they made their way through the night, providing their own light. They were in no hurry, their procession a stately progress through the trees, and though Isla's grin caught Jigano by surprise and he drew in a sharp breath at the revealed fang, he didn't pull away when she leaned against him. She had changed, yes, but she was still his friend, and if his support could help her in the confusing days to come as she explored what it meant to be what she had become, then he was glad to give it.

He wouldn't make the same mistakes twice.

"I have no idea," he admitted, voice just as quiet. "The books I found mentioned nothing about where they come from, only that their presence is vitally important to surviving the Long Night. I suppose, once that time of danger is passed, people are too focused on getting crops in the ground and surviving the early starving times of spring to worry about them anymore." He grew silent for a moment as the deer reached the edge of the clearing. The big one in the lead - he was almost certain it was their friend from before - raised his head to snuffle the air. His gentle brown eyes fell on the pair seated on the rock and he shook his great head - in welcome, in greeting, in thanks, Jigano didn't know - and stepped out into the glade, dipping his head to lip up some hay. The two smaller does behind him joined him a moment later, the small herd grazing contentedly at their evening feast.

"Perhaps they hibernate, in a way?" The bard suggested, voice and expression soft with wonder and delight at their nearness. "As some animals sleep the winter away, perhaps they have hiding places and sleep during the summer?"
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
"As am I," Isla murmured, and something warm kindled within her at the term. Friends. It was endearing and she realised, all at once, that she'd not had many friends back in Northaven or Northwind. Not so many as she had now - perhaps there was something positive about their tumble into this place, after all.

She felt his warmth on his shoulder, very vaguely, in that it wasn't the same as the Glade around them, and that was enough to put a smile on her lips as they watched the luxere approach and start to enjoy the feast laid out for them.

"I suppose so," she agreed, keeping her voice equally as hushed. "They couldn't migrate - where would they go? Hibernation seems plausible. But then perhaps their antlers only glow in the colder months? They could be ordinary reindeer the rest of the year. Perhaps we should see if we can keep tabs on this little family? We might be able to find out."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"I have no idea what the warmer months are like," Jigano admitted with a soft chuckle. "I met you only a short time after I arrived here. A short autumn for me, an abrupt winter... who knows what the rest of the year is like? But if the glow is magical, specifically to ward off the monsters of Long Night, it would make sense that it strengthens in Deepfrost and fades afterwards." A loud crunch interrupted their whispering as one of the luxere bit into an apple with every evidence of enjoyment. The bard laughed silently as it let out a satisfied snort then went back to the sweet hay, its companions already making significant inroads into their snacks, meandering closer to the pair on the rock as they did so.

"I suppose we could try," he mused, coming back to her question once he had control of his voice again. "Though... as busy as you are with the infirmary, and I with the Rathskeller, I don't know how we'd have time to follow them. If we're still here next year, though, perhaps we can plan for it. With the way the combative types are rallying for a surge against the spire, though..." He trailed off thoughtfully, then glanced down at his friend with a raised brow. "Actually, I heard a rumor that the Ascended are meant to somehow be a key in unlocking that damn obelisk. Do you know anything about that, by chance?"
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"I believe I only arrived here a short time before you did. I have only known the autumnal and the cold," Isla agreed. "Both of which have been nothing short of beautiful in the right places. So I have high hopes for the warmer parts of the year." Talking about something as gentle and mundane as the weather when the real cause was this apparent LongNight was strange, and Isla, too, was distracted by the crunching of an apple. She grinned as she took note of the luxere enjoying the meal, nodding to Jigano.

"Next year then, if we're still in this place. Who knows, we might be able to catch this same family again." She nodded, though her smile faded somewhat as talk turned to the Spire. "Yes," she agreed, "but I can certainly understand why. In Northaven the danger appeared abruptly, seemingly at random, or so I heard. The only safety was either to be constantly on guard, or to make the first move. I feel that attitude has carried through to here for some."

She glanced up at the bard and pursed her lips thoughtfully at his question, before shaking her head. "In truth I had intended to ask that very thing to the Voice before I ascended, but... it is not a process that gives much room for distraction. So I have heard of it, but I know precious little."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"I certainly hope so! I'm glad to see the old man isn't alone this time," Jigano chuckled, nodding towards the leader of the little herd, who was busy lipping up oats from the snow. "The young ones must be adorable. Perhaps we'll be lucky enough to see some next year... or even this year, yet, perhaps." The winter was still young, after all, though the days were growing shorter with grim speed, as if the world was racing towards the mysterious Long Night and all it would bring, both good and bad.

"I still know so little of the place so many other Outlanders came from," he admitted, a little rueful. "Though I suppose I'll never see it myself. But still... what you say makes some sense with those I've met. The idea that safety only lies in physical strength and might, and that he who strikes first... wins." Not that the bard had never lashed out first... so perhaps their reasons were as good as his own had been.

And it had nearly killed him, hadn't it? No, fighting was not where his strengths lay.

He tilted his head down at Isla as she looked up, a brow arched in curiosity as he waited to hear just what the Ascended were supposed to do, but alas, neither of them had the answers to that particular riddle. "Well. If she is less fickle than the rest, perhaps you could see her again and ask? Though with all the problems Remi has had with Ludo and Frey, I hesitate to suggest anyone willingly seek out the gods of this place... though it might be the only way we find answers." He sighed, watching the luxere though some of the easy joy had gone out of him. Still, their glow seemed to keep the mood a little lighter, even as the moon rose to spill silver over the snow of the Glade and set the world to sparkling like the inside of a diamond. "I suppose... there's no reward without risk. If we intend to leave this barrier we'll need to push harder than those who came before us. And working together will get us farther than going our separate ways."

He smiled softly as a soft velvety nose snuffled at his knee, then at the hands still lightly clasped between them. Soft brown eyes looked beseechingly from him to Isla, seeking more treats from the two who had brought such tasty bounty.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla gasped softly at the mere thought of tiny prancing little Luxere, for a moment caught in her own image of them and smiling delightedly. Logical and unflinching the healer might be in a crisis, but damn it she had a right to find baby things cute. She was exercising that right. "Well, then I hope that even if we aren't here next year, that we can find these creatures again." Wistful, she watched the deer enjoy their meal in peace for a few moments, content in their presence and Jigano's as well.

Humming in agreement at his summary of the people of Northaven, she could only shrug her shoulders. "I think a lot of them are trying to forget where we came from, in some ways," she admitted. "I wasn't there for long, so... another change just after arrival isn't so bad, right?"

And she'd only committed to further change since then, hadn't she? Speaking of which, she gave Jigano's suggestion the consideration it deserved as he brought up paying the Voice another visit. "I think I will have to, if nothing more than to find out what our role is in this whole thing. If she knows. Or can tell us." She sighed. So many questions, and answers were annoyingly evasive.

Luckily, a snuffling nose distracted her enough to bring back her smile, Isla glancing to Jigano. "I have more hay, and oats," she said, leaning down and retrieving her pack. "But I feel like your apples are a bigger hit."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He grinned at his companion's open delight at the thought of baby luxere, glad that he'd thought of them. And the creatures had to come from somewhere, so it only made sense, really. The reindeer had a soothing presence all their own, but Isla did as well... even though some things about her had changed, now. The heart of his friend, from what he'd seen so far, remained the same, and that was what mattered.

"If it meant you didn't turn as hard and wounded as many of them seem to have? I'd say the quick change was for the best," the bard mused thoughtfully. "Though I feel for those who have been torn away from friends and loved ones. It sounds like Northaven... was not a good place for anyone to be. For all the Barrier keeps us in, Caido at least offers a chance to work together and live with small comforts and some safety in the Settlement."

He nodded gravely at her conclusion, though he squeezed her hand lightly in support. "I could go with you, if you wanted?" He offered cautiously. Deities could be strange things. Isla hadn't been the religious type when they'd met, but now... well, he would respect her wishes if she preferred to make visits to her New God(dess?) in private.

He grinned at their furry friend, then at his companion, releasing her hand so she could dig through her pack. "Ah, wise healer! I spread all my bounty out over the snow - you would have thought I'd learned from last time!" His grin turned a bit mischievous and he winked as the luxere pushed its nose eagerly at her pack, smelling the food within. "Or maybe I did... and I'm letting your hair get mussed this time!"
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
"Oh, don't get me wrong. I served a long time on the front lines of the war before I was sent through to the portal into Northaven. You've never seen me perform surgery. I might be the one like stone then - the other person is usually the wounded, though." She smiled up at him, meanwhile getting hassled by an affectionate and hungry luxere as she attempted to get more hay from her pack. "Calm down," she told the deer through a chuckle, even as Jigano's prediction came true and she was snuffled and mussed at.

Spreading more hay out and finally losing the attention of the glowing animal, she turned back to her friend and smiled softly to him. "If you wouldn't mind. It isn't that I am nervous, but... the trek is a long one, and your company is always welcome." There was a wickedness to her smile as she realised he might be holding out on her with the treats for their friends, Isla withdrawing a little more hay and unceremoniously setting it in his lap - instantly one of the luxere trotted over for fuss.

"Take that," she told him sunnily, unable to hide her giggling.

A lot of things had changed, but enjoying life, it seemed, wasn't one of them. And that warmed Isla more than any physical touch.

{END THREAD}