(SE) between reality and pretend
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
like thunder gonna shake the ground
That can't be right. Can it? Loren eyed Chulane from the spot the lion had claimed. For a moment he said nothing more.

Then he yawned and settled his head on his paws. If it's just apple then yes, I will try some. The healer shook out his mane and his eyes grew half-lidded. Sending a picture of an apple to Astra, she sprang to her feet and bleated.

Trotting to the door, she would wait for the vet to (hopefully) open it. If he did, she'd go inside to say hi to Auni. Then she would follow the head of Agriculture into the kitchen and stare up at him with big and begging eyes.
LOREN
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 14 - Int:
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
CHULANE
I believe that dreams are sacred
'It's true,' the vet assured the lion. 'I'm Chief of Agriculture remember, I know food,' he attempted to reason on a level the delirious man might appreciate - it was worth a try, anyway.

He shifted without hesitating, the man now smiling down at the luxere, who was greeted by Auni inside. Chulane did indeed have apples as well as cider available, and offered an apple each to Astra and Auni, before taking a large bowl and a jug of the cider out.

He took some apples with him too, just in case.

After he ventured back outside, he squatted before the lion, thinking back wryly to his time on Antarctica when he would take up a similar pose when observing leopard seals. Oh, how times have changed.

He poured the pale golden liquid into the bowl and set it before the lion. "Taste it," he prompted. "Apple."
Take my darkest fears and play them
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Letting his tongue loll out, Loren sent a pulse of acceptance towards Chulane. You are. And we didn't have an orchard on the farm, so I'll trust you. With that, the lion closed his eyes until the vet could return.

Astra rubbed herself against Auni. Then she followed the Head of Agriculture. Reaching out, she'd munch on the apple, licking his hand a bit in the process. However, she didn't follow him outside, instead choosing to stay inside and settle in with her fellow luxere.

When Chulane did return, the Firebrand opened his eyes. Looking between the bowl and the vet, the healer finally stood and lumbered over to his drink. Lowering his head, he took in a great gulp of air through his mouth, scenting the brew.

The cider did indeed smell like apples. That was enough to convince Loren to start lapping at it. His tongue flitted in and out of his mouth almost in a blur. So good. He made a chuffing sound when he stopped to take a breath.
LOREN
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
CHULANE
He felt triumphant, and rather pleased with himself for convincing the lion to accept a drink, even if under the guise that it wasn't water at all (when it almost definitely was mostly water). Chuy was a light-weight when it came to alcohol, and so the cider he did drink was non-alcoholic. Still, he hoped it would have some kind of mellowing effect on the lion, and help to rehydrate him too.

"Did you used to have a farm, Loren?" the vet asked, curious to know more about the healer, about where he came from - a world that wasn't Caido or Earth, he knew. The vet topped up the bowl with another pour from the jug. "Keep drinking," he prompted, brain ticking over the few options he had to go from here. Did he try to coax Loren inside? Did he take the healer back to his quarters, and lock him away, similar to what he'd done with Neron?

He kept tossing up between the different options, ultimately deciding to see how things went. Perhaps if he got Loren rehydrated, he might get some sense out of the healer, and be able to take him back to his house to recuperate. If sense was too much of an ask of the illness afflicting him, well… Other options would have to be considered.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Continuing to lap at the cider, Loren quickly reached the bottom of the bowl. He made a whining sound when he finished. Luckily, Chulane was already topping it off. Not needing the encouragement, as soon as the other man lifted the jug away, the lion began drinking again.

Talking and lapping simultaneously was, thankfully, possible in this form, because he had no intention of stopping any time soon, since he was still parched. Nope. Didn't own. Worked on the family farm. Except it was a ruseeeeee. He paused and snarled. My family loveddddd ruses. Spies and all that. I didn't like my family though. Ex-family, I guess.

He resumed his drinking. Did you have a farm oh head of agriculture. Making a hacking sound, amusement blossomed through the bond.
LOREN
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
CHULANE
He'd never heard a lion whine before, and despite everything, he was amused by it - he swallowed down and muted the chuckle that almost rose up though, lest he offend the delirious big cat, who he was very aware of. But Loren so far seemed mostly angry at the snow, when he did get inspired to anger, anyway. Otherwise, he was as lazy and docile as a housecat.

The ramblings reminded of when Chulane had interrogated a grieving Korbin, of when he'd pushed the boy to talk about his loss. The vet simply made sure the bowl had more cider in it whenever it got low, as he took in the words. He'd left his own name behind after portalling through, see no use in bring it with him nothing to do with whit not being creative enough to think of one.

For some time, he'd been considering asking Kiada if she would mind whether he took hers as his own. Such as things were, he was simply Chulane here.

"I did have a farm. We grew crops, farmed sheep and cattle. It was a bit different to here," he smiled, wondering at what the healer would make of it - knowing that his story was so dull compared to many others on this world. He had come from a wholesome upbringing, with no secrets, no lies, no dark histories to hide.
the Firebrand

Change author:
As the cider kept filling the bowl, Loren kept lapping at it. However, although his thirst wasn't fully slaked, even he had his limits. So as his belly distended with fluid, he slowed down the drinking. Still, he kept at it, unwilling to give up the quenching liquid now that it had been provided for him, and even if it was making him nauseous to have so much on an empty stomach.

That sounds nice. But wait, who's we? There's only one of you. He paused to hack a laugh at Chulane. Astra bleated at the lion, so he lowered his head and went back to the cider. Did you have chickens? Chickens were always so stupid, yet somehow got into the most annoying places and trouble. Huh, do you think it was because of the stupidity? Why just cattle and sheep?
LOREN
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
CHULANE
Soon enough, the jug was empty, and the bowl would stop being refilled. Probably just the right time too, as the vet eyed the way the lion's belly grew. Lions were big cats, they could drink a fair bit, but cider wasn't usually on the menu for them. Chuy mentally shrugged. It was a matter of doing the best he could with the tools he had available - and he'd managed to get a delirious lion who had a negative view on water to drink a substance that was mostly water, hadn't he?

"It was my family farm," he clarified on the we, shaking his head slightly - he'd been surprised at the hacking laugh the lion had made at him, still very aware that there was a big cat with very big teeth and claws very near to him. "We had some chickens, but we didn't farm them. Nothing beats fresh eggs for breakfast." He didn't comment on whether they were stupid or not - he honestly didn't think any creature, human or animal, to be truly stupid. Certainly, people and animals were capable of doing stupid things… but that was a whole other train of thought.

"They suited the land we had best, and were always in need, easy to sell for meat, or wool for the sheep." It had been that way for generations, enduring drought and flood and thriving in the good times to support the family for more generations to come.
the Firebrand

Change author:
When the bowl and the jug were finally empty, Loren looked between the two of them. I'm still thirsty, he complained. However, he settled onto the ground, laying his head upon his paws.

At the mention of food, he licked his lips. Fresh food. Yes. It's the best. He yawned again and his eyes grew half-lidded.

Watching Chulane, the lion shook his mane out a little. What kind of land was it? Astra, having caught up with Auni, trotted out and curled against the healer. Snuggling against her, he relaxed, tension bleeding out of his body that he hadn't known was there (granted he didn't know much these days). It would be nice to have my own home one day.
LOREN
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
There's no limit to what I feel, we climb higher and higher
He watched the lion closely, ignoring his complaints for more liquid, knowing that he would indeed need more soon enough, but he needed to digest what he had for now. At least here, lying in the snow, docile and calm, he could perhaps get some relief from the fever, and slowly become rehydrated.

Chuy nodded at Astra, Auni poking his head out through the doorway to bleat a soft hello, but remaining mostly inside, unsure of the big cat lolling about the front of their home. Chuy didn't blame him, honestly.

He shifted, feathers sprouting quickly, donning his eagle form once more. He was preparing to head directly to Morgan, to speak on what needed to be done - after telling any attuned guards within range what he could about Loren before bringing the Warden up to speed.

'You have a home, Loren. You're here,' he said softly through the bond, but he actually understood where the healer was coming from, on a deeper level, he thought. 'The land was beautiful. Gentle rolling hills for as long as the eye could see, beyond the horizon and more. Though in summer it would turn yellow from the drought, which was beautiful in its own harsh way.'
CHULANE
the Firebrand

Change author:
There was no more cider forthcoming and Loren growled. He didn't stir from his spot though. As Chulane shifted, the lion picked his head up from his paws again. However, when that was all the eagle did, the healer settled down again, shifting a little so that Astra was more comfortable.

No I don't. The Naturals keep saying it's not! He snarled a bit. And the Eirachi made the Palace go boom, and then Korbin burned the place, so I don't have a home anymore. Closing his eyes and licking his lips, he yawned again.

The vet's description caused the Firebrand's eyes to open, though they remained half-lidded. Sounds beautiful. Why isn't it your land anymore?
LOREN
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
The vet might not have realised the full extent of Loren's housing situation before now. Was the healer homeless? 'What about the Academy?' he asked automatically - forgetting already that the former Launceylon had walked away from that name and family. Did that also mean he'd left the Academy? The Chief kept going, unsure of just what sort of promises he was making.

'Not all the Naturals think that way,' he tried to reassure. But he too knew how hard it stung to hear the accusations, the vitriol that they could spin when they became incensed, unable or unwilling to cope with change when change was coming either way.

And who was Chulane to try and reassure Loren about having a home when he himself didn't feel like he had one? For so long, his home had been Kia, not anchored in a place but in a heart, and now..? Now, he didn't know what home was anymore.

'Because I came here,' he answered simply, quietly, sending soothing thoughts, despite the turmoil the memories brought up within him. If he could get the lion to sleep, he could take flight and get to Morgan quickly, and work towards a solution. This whole situation was too great for him to handle alone.
CHULANE
the Firebrand

Change author:
A shiver passed through Loren's body at Chulane's question. The lion shuddered, and Astra had to nuzzle his side before he calmed. There's no place for me there. No place for me anywhere. He felt his paws flexing, claws digging into the icy ground.

Lifting his head slightly, he met the eagle's gaze. No? They don't? The healer let his head thump to the ground again. I've heard it so many times though. That I don't belong. It's okay, I don't care as much but it still hurts. Making a chuffing sound, he closed his eyes.

I'm glad you're here. However, his eyes had closed again and the thought was distant through the bond. His body began to relax, the brief relief of the cider coursing through him and letting him momentarily doze.
LOREN
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
The eagle was full of sympathy for the lion, knowing what it felt like to be judged for arriving through the portal, knowing how cruel the Naturals could be - but at the same time, he empathised with the Naturals, dealing with change was never easy, and they had their reasons for being as guarded as they were about the Outlanders.

He sent a note to Auni to be safe, to watch over the lion (from a safe distance), and to offer Astra shelter and food if the luxere needed it.

'I'm glad I'm here too, Loren,' softly, through the bond, he shared this with the healer. It was the first time in a while he could say it, and mean it, even if he suspected the lion would not recall it as this moment moved from one delirious thought to another.

When the lion drifted off to sleep, the eagle watched, not taking off immediately. He waited until the lion properly snored a soft note of slumber, before turning around and taking flight, heading for the council chambers, where he knew he'd find the Warden.

--

Fin!
CHULANE