not so starry-eyed anymore
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Samuel
ffilc a no denooram ,taob denrutpu na ni efil yM
doolf gib taerg a em thguorb uoY
Nate's question seemed so bizarre that Sam nearly laughed, but he found that his mouth felt oddly dry and unable to making sounds for a moment. Did Nate not know what he'd done? That he'd broken his heart in the worst, most unforgivable way possible? Time passed, the wound was covered over, but he'd never stop feeling the twinge of sadness when he saw him. He'd been passed over, tossed away in favour of someone else.

Someone else that he really couldn't compete with, either.

The promise of 'no water' in a cup of tea sounded wrong, but Sam wasn't quite sure enough of his own memory to argue it; maybe it was possible to make tea without water. Maybe he'd done it before; it was hard to know. When the cup finally made it's way to him, he looked at the liquid suspiciously, swilling it around. "...Hm. No water, you promise?" Taking a sip, Sam decided it tasted sufficiently not like water to be acceptable.

"...I'm scared." He admitted a few drinks later, tucking his knees up close to his chest. "What if we don't get better?"
tfil a em evag uoy dnA
tfig a tahw ,erac oT
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
NATE

No answer comes to his question, not that it matters much, Nate's own words melting away from his head as soon as he crosses into the threshold of the kitchen. His experiment tea takes longer than he expects, but it's presented to Sam with a kind of smug satisfaction, Nate's chest deflating just a touch with how long much time the other ascended spends looking it over. "Would I lie to you?" Nate rumbles, a crooked smile on his face. It's not exactly convincing, but it is the truth, a fact Sam seems to realise after his first sip.

Nate finds himself organizing while Sam sips at his drink, straightening things out in an order that only really made sense in his head. If he ever got over this, ever recovered from the sickness, he was going to lose his mind trying to find things.

He doesn't sit until Sam speaks again, drawing his cyclopean gaze up, his body moving to a chair without looking. "People don't just stay sick." Nate says, as if that settles things. He is the authority, after all. "You'll get better. Everyone will." This is softer, and almost easier to believe because of it, though Nate still refuses to include himself among the number of the ill.
So unscrew my head and rinse it out
Polish my thoughts, turn into doubts
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel
"Yes." Sam replied plainly, knowing full well Nate could (and had) lie...though he still sipped at the liquid in the cup he held, finding the familiar motion comforting in the midst of all the uncertainty and swimming, thick atmosphere around his head. He turned to look at Nate, about to say that he'd heard many a lie come from the man's mouth, when he saw something grotesque: Worms, thick and black, squirming around Nate's head, surrounding one silver tongue and no other recognisable human features.

Dropping the cup, spilling the last few drops on the couch, Sam scrambled off it and behind it. "What are you?!" He hissed, looking back to check on Nate: He was still covered in the pulsing leeches, the writhing mass consuming his entire head and now that Sam looked, they emerged in other places, popping out of his hands and snaking back in through his legs. "I keep -- I keep seeing your true self." Voice accusatory and scared, Sam stayed crouched behind the couch, all of Nate's comforts lost on him.
tfil a em evag uoy dnA
tfig a tahw ,erac oT
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE

Sams answer, and the immediate bluntness that it comes with, has Nate laughing, a bout of sudden hilarity gripping him. Of course he’d lie, he had before, though not ever about anything big, anything deeply important. Even if he planned on it, he hadn’t even lied about the affair. His chuckle fades to a thin giggle, a sound he can’t quite stop, even thoughts forgotten what had sparked it.

The cup dropping startled him, sends his head whipping up, around, long hair whipping with his head as he looked for whatever the threat was. Dark spots began to decorate the walls, the floors, some invisible splatter, but it wasn’t enough to alarm him, not really, not yet. Nate stood, as the other ascended scrambled, seeking safety behind the couch, more confused now that anything. ”Me? What am I?” He hadn’t changed, had barely moved. Sam must truly be sick, in the deepest throws of a hopefully temporary insanity. A slow, almost stumbling step was taken toward the couch, towards Sam, the doctor very suddenly feeling as if his body was heavy, as if it didn’t want to approach.

”My true self?” Another cough of laughter accompanied the words, Nate’s eyes narrowing. ”I tried to warn you earlier, you know!” It seems strange that it’s taken Sam so long to see past his masks, past his lies, but he had predicted it, long ago. After all, else could he be seeing?
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
Nate's laugh was a sound of horror to Sam, each second of it sounding more and more like the hysteric laughter of an evil madman; it drove him to hide further behind the couch, Nate's question feeling less like confusion and more like mockery. Any time Sam dared to glance he wished he hadn't, the sight of the pulsing and squelching leeches consuming Nate's face too horrifying to look at for longer than a second.

"Don't come closer!!" He screamed, scrambling back from the couch to the far wall, pressing himself tight against it and holding up his hands as if they might somehow protect him against the advancing monster. "I'm sorry! Just let me go! I- I don't want to see it!" Eyes shut tight and panic clear in his strained voice, Sam desperately hoped for some kind of rescue.
tfil a em evag uoy dnA
tfig a tahw ,erac oT
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
SUNJATA
the flood

He wakes to screaming. He doesn’t know when it started, doesn’t know how long it’s been going on. But there’s words that form within it, something that has him getting up, removing the blanket he’d wrapped himself in, spending a moment to realize that Nate isn’t in the room and letting the confusion of that spiral for a good few seconds.

But then, much like a trail, he follows the sound down the staircase, along the hallways corridor, realizing slowly that the screaming isn’t Nate and it’s something else. He can see his fiancé facing the wall, the space where the sounds come from, and with a bit of a chimeric feature to his body — horns sprouted and navy feathers flaring along his skin — he slides over to Nate’s side. “What…?” He’s asking as his arm slips around Nate briefly, spying Sam writhing on the floor like a frightened child.

What’s he doing here?” He asks, sinking into Nate’s side and resting his head along Nate’s shoulder — careful to not bump his head with the horns that spiral out from his own. He peers at Sam from where he stands, his arm protectively tight around Nate, not that he finds Sam to be a threat in normal circumstances, his fevered mind considers almost everyone a threat at the end of the day. His gaze drifts to Nate then, looking over what he can see from the space he’s placed his head just so he might ensure he wasn’t hurt. “Are you okay?
hard drugs, fake love; it's a sensation
makes one hell of a collaboration
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Nate wishes he knew what was wrong with Sam, wishes he could see what the other man saw. There’s a prickle at the back of his neck, the dark spots in his vision growing quickly now, spreading and reaching for him. Closing his eyes, Nate shakes his head again, trying to clear it this time. ”Sam, I... you can-“ Words stop sharply, the stairs creaking snapping his head up, his eye open. Suspicion clouds his face, until the source of the sound reveals itself as Sunjata, and Nate relaxes immediately, sagging into the arm that wraps around him.

”I don’t...” But that’s a lie realization slapping him in the face before the words fully leave him. He does know what’s wrong with Sam. ”Sick! He’s sick, and... delusional.” Nodding along with his own words, and bumping his head on the horns so carefully arranged around him, Nate turns, smiling brightly at Sunjata. His hand comes up, fingers threading through navy feathers, stroking along them. ”I’m perfect Sunny. But he’s...” Nate turns to looks back at Sam again, a quiet grunt escaping him when he bumps his head again. ”Can you... can you try and talk to him? He keeps screaming.”
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Trigger Warning 
Samuel
Hearing a noise from above, Sam was forced to take his eyes off of Nate's approach, his mind convinced there was another monster coming from upstairs; together they would kill him, share him between them, he just knew it.

He could have cried with relief (and almost did) when Sunjata appeared, looking...well, like a partially shifted Attuned, but far better than the monster Nate had become. For a moment Sam thought Sunjata was here to rescue him; he began to crawl towards him, mumbling his gratitude...when he looked up and saw Sunjata put his arm around the monster as if he were completely accepting of the beast.

Sam watched in horror. Words blended into the panicked background buzz of the house and all he could see was Sunjata's mouth opening, providing a new home for the worms, which immediately crawled across their joined shoulders and through his lips, forcing their way down his throat and leaving a translucent black ooze on his chin. "Sunjata, he's going to eat you from inside!!"
tfil a em evag uoy dnA
tfig a tahw ,erac oT
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood

Nate sags into the arm that Sunjata puts around him, head resting at the Ascended’s shoulder – gaze flicking down to Sam, upset and making zero sense along the floor. Sick. Delusional. That’s what crosses over his mind as he focuses on the way it appears like the red-haired man crawls toward him and then pulls away. His brows furrow, distracted only by Nate’s wonderful ability of bumping into the horns arranged in a way to not bump into him.

Feathers smooth as Nate’s fingers run through them, his gaze falling back down to Sam when Nate’s does, trying to keep his head even while Nate bumps into them again. Lips part as he unhooks himself from Nate, a slightly difficult feat where he might have bumped into Nate’s head once or twice, absolutely unintentionally.

Feather’s flare again, briefly, as a bark of laughter slips from him. “From inside?” He asks, casting a glance up from Sam to Nate, amusement sparking in tired steel eyes. “Don’t think I’d mind that much.” A playful tease before Sunjata’s attention lands on Sam again, his scarred and tattooed hand outstretched for the redhead. “You should go home.” An offering, an opening? But his outstretched hand closes abruptly as his view of Sam shifts to something else, something of Korofi and another red-haired man that had caused more than enough trouble for Sunjata to last lifetimes. Yet another deceit, so it seems.

Graasvoel. Haal die fok uit my huis uit.” His lip turns down in distaste and a sudden bout of anger, giving a moment to let Sam collect himself and leave. His hand shifts to claws, promising that he’d make the Ascended get out, even as his feathers flare further, muscles coiling for a fight.

Haal die fok uit my huis uit. - get the fuck out of my house
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

If he hadn't noticed the fact that he'd bumped his own head on the horns around him, there's no way he should notice when Sunjata does it, quite by accident. And yet, Nate's face drops, his brows pulling together sadly as he looks over at his finace. "No, I like to do my eating outside." Nate whines, a pout nearly overtaking his face. Why was he being ganged up on like this? He was trying, offering tea and being kind in all the ways he was supposed to be, and this is the thanks he gets? His fiance and his ex in cahoots of some kind?

What else could the outstretched hand mean? For a single instant, Nate is filled with a sharp pang of jealousy, the feeling barely having time to sink its claws into him before it's jolted away again, spooked by the sudden closing of his fiances hand, and the snarled words leaving Sunjata.

Oh no, oh no. Nate doesn't recognize the name, doesn't know what's caused the sudden growl, but he knows it's not good, knows it will turn ugly fast. So he moves faster, almost stumbling over his own feet as he shifts to stand in front of Sunjata, breaking the line of sight, giving cooler heads a chance to emerge. "Sonskyn. Wats fout? Ek is hier, ne?" He might not have a clue what's going on with either of them, but Nate feels confident that he can calm Sunjata. Especially with Sam only screaming more the closer he came. Perhaps this, this act of calming, would soothe both of them.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel
It's like watching the world through a window, knowing the horror about to come but unable to warn them; Sunjata joked and smiled at Nate as if he couldn't see the writhing mass that had replaced his face, didn't know what fate was about to befall him. Sam was on the verge of tears trying to warn him, to think of a way to let him know -- then suddenly Sunjata was growling at him, words he didn't understand. At first he thought maybe he just couldn't comprehend it in his panic, but one look at the man's face told him otherwise.

Not quite a monster, but seemingly on the monster's side. Sam put his hands over his head, now sure he was trapped. Between the both of them, Sunjata and Nate could absolutely keep him here, do whatever it was worm-men and their accomplices liked to do to hostages.

Nate jumped before Sunjata, spoke in the same words: probably discussing just how they could destroy him, Sam wagered. Shaking, he decided to use the moment of distraction to move, to ignore the way he wanted to curl up and hide and try to escape; he knew it may well be his last chance to do so. Slowly, he began to crawl around the edge of the room towards the door, hoping to slip by unnoticed while the beasts spoke.
tfil a em evag uoy dnA
tfig a tahw ,erac oT
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood

All he can see with his gaze on Sam is vibrant red hair, a cruel smirk, a taunting arrogant man with his hand wrapped around Sunjata’s sister’s shoulder. And all he can see after that is rivers of blood on marble flooring, a blurred vision before a blackout, the impact of his body hitting that very same marble foyer.

And then it’s gone, replaced by Nate — a sudden awareness that has his gaze still sharp, still predatory, the words registering but not soothing so much in the way Nate had hoped. No, feathers continue to flare, teeth edging toward that of his orca shift where each one ends in sharp points. It’s that, which he grits as his jaw clenches, ignoring Sam for Nate who stands in his way. “How did he get in? Why is he here?” He can’t tell if he’s speaking Korofi or the native tongue here anymore, it all blurring together.

He got her killed. He did.” It ends in a growl much like his panther shift, stepping forward and into Nate, as if the only thing stopping him from ensuring that Sam got out was the fact that Nate was protecting him. “He’ll get you too. He always does om by my terug te kom.” Steel eyes still sharp and narrowed focus on Nate, not seeing as Sam slips around the corner and out of his view.

om by my terug te kom. - to get back at me.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Right now, it seems very unwise indeed to answer Sunjata’s question honestly, though Nate isn’t really sure what else to do, what else to say. Instead, hands move along feathers and shoulders both, Nate leaning in to press their foreheads together, not worried at all about the horns (and if he bumps into them again, well, perhaps it will be a distraction).

None of Sunjata accusations made sense, not in the least. This was Sam. Honestly, Nate wasn’t sure the other ascended had ever intentionally hurt anyone. The consequences of his actions are a different thing, at least at this moment. Glancing back to see Sam creeping away, Nate feels some part of him nearly sag in relief, before he turns back to his fiancé. Sonskyn, it’s okay. There’s no one here who can hurt you. Just Sam, and he left, he’s gone. Okay?” It feels like there is a fine line between comforting and patronizing, a line Nate is confident he straddles successfully.

”Let’s go back upstairs, back to bed.” Nate suggests, pulling the attuned along with him, once he’s fairly certain Sam has managed to slip away. The more he thinks about it though, the nicer it sounds, cuddled up in a warm bed, in a tangle of limbs and blankets. The perfect way to spend the rest of the day, while fever makes time stretch and slow.

~Fin