when all is said and done
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Gideon
the priest
Give your heart and soul to charity
'Cause the rest of you
"The Celestine is a wonderful garden. Filled with plants and animals and so beautiful you could swear it was Safrin's home itself." Gideon said with a smile, obviously very fond of it. He wasn't expecting the flurry that questions that followed, but they seemed more driven by simple curiosity than needling, so he was happy to answer. "The city was made by humans as far as I'm aware, but I'm sure the Gods had a hand in it, as they do all."

That she specifically asked for carriages and towers of Glass made him laugh. "Carriages, yes. I often get one from the Tower to the Temple, if I've had a long day." Gideon tried to walk when he could, but sometimes the work of an Order member was tiring. "As for towers of glass..hm. Not as such, but the Needle is probably close enough to what you mean." He assumed so, anyway. Clearly Amalia had heard stories from somewhere. "Why don't you come back with me sometime? I'd love to show you around, especially my Temple."

He didn't ask after her 'belonging to' Vi, seeing that it was quite a sensitive matter. Sometimes, faith was a private thing, and he wouldn't dig too deep into her bond with Vi, which had to be a sacred thing. Still, Gideon was glad to see her consider how she spoke of her relationship with all Gods, listened patiently as he adjusted the strap of one of the bags on his arm.

"To speak of the Gods passionately isn't bragging, Amalia. You should be aiming to inspire those less devout than yourself." Gideon gestured a fist gently in front of himself, a sign of determination. "There are too many now falling to the evil of Ascension...a terrible name for something that does not involve going anywhere higher at all. Stories like yours could help quell those tides."
The best of you, Honey, belongs to me
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
I sailed seas of emotion to wander a forest of scars
I am a dance of light and darkness, a galaxy of shadow and stars
She listens raptly to the descriptions, her questions stilled in a childlike wonder at the place Gideon describes. Only when he invites her back does the girl light up, turning to the Priest with a bright, hopeful expression. "Really? You would take me? I'd love to see the capitol of the gods. If.... if I'd be allowed."

Warmth fills her at the acceptance of her passion, though Amalia still feels that the man expects something more of her. Her mind flashes to Phoebe, her open pride at the potential of being a demigod, the way she's explained it to the Shield, and the girl wonders if she shouldn't be more like that. Yet to her the gift, the change, is something sacred. Something between her and Vi, something to be cherished and protected and earned.

And then the topic changes to Ascension, and Amalia's face falls. Again she looks away from Gideon, worrying her lip between her teeth. "Many of them... did not choose it. To be Ascended," she murmurs slowly, as lilac curls into her hair. "They became it when they were brought here. And now they're trapped, dependent upon her for their very lives - such as it is." Her expression hardens, a glint in her dark eyes. "It's monstrous. But there's no way to save them. Unless... they know of one? In Stormbreak?"
Amalia
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
Gideon grinned at Amalia's voice, her enthusiasm absolutely appreciated: she seemed like a great candidate for an ally to the Order. Close with the Gods, even to Vi, and so eager to see their city. "Of course. I do a brief tour of the capitals every few weeks or so, so if you wanted to come, find me and you can come back to Stormbreak. I'll show you everything - even the secret parts of the temple." He nudged her with his elbow, winking with the warm promise that spoke of a father offering some extra candy.

He wasn't surprised to see the change in her at the topic switch; no one with a moral heart liked to think of those that had fallen, after all. Gideon listened patiently to what she had to say of the Ascended, but he couldn't help the soft laugh at the question that came after. "No, we don't. We are not so much interested in saving the Ascended as defeating them. Once someone's soul has been touched by that kind of evil...it corrupts, other time. No matter who they once were, like a deep illness, it poisons their body and mind. Do you know what I mean?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
"The other capitals?" Truth be told, Amalia's understanding of capital is rather vague: she believes it to mean a rather large city, which she hasn't experienced in her time. Still, her confusion scarcely dims her enthusiasm, childlike wonder lighting her eyes. "There are secrets in the temple? What kind of secrets? Secrets about the gods, or...?"

And then there is the other thing. It takes all of her self control not to turn and glare at Gideon; instead she focuses on the snowy cobbles, her brow creased in a frown. "What do you mean by 'defeating'?" she asks slowly, her teeth lengthening as feathers ripple over her back. "I was told... that the Order was going to have a bloodless war. Without death. Was that a lie, then?"
Amalia
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
"Yes?" Gideon looked over at her, raising an eyebrow but shrugging as he went on to explain anyway. "There's the Citadel, Haulani, in Torchline and..I believe in the Hollowed Grounds,  they have their Sanctuary. That is more of a village though, truthfully." It was clear in his voice that Gideon perhaps had a less than admirable opinion of the Grounds, though he didn't say anything further on them.

As for the temple, he put a finger to his lips. "I have to leave some things for the tour, or you won't come."

His teasing abruptly ended as Amalia's good mood did. Gideon was surprised to hear someone so dedicated to the Gods apparently upset over the thought of hurt Ascended and tried to choose his next words carefully, unsure where he stood with Amalia now. "I do not know the full plans of the Order, truth be told. Defeat doesn't have to be bloody, though. Just...definite."

It was Gideon's turn to regard her with suspicion now. "You seem to sympathize with them. You do know how the Gods feel about the Voice and her 'children', don't you?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
The condescension she reads from his tone causes Amalia to stiffen, hometown pride rising up in a fierce wave. "I grew up in Sanctuary," the girl remarks, her voice crisp and cool. "It's a community. We did the best we could, and we took care of each other." All in past tense - these days things have changed so much, she scarcely recognizes her home.

She listens tensely to his careful explanation, the way he dodges the question immediately setting the Shield on edge. It reminds her of Dorian and his evasion, of Phoebe's mistrust. "I have no love for the Voice," Amalia shoots back tersely, anger flaring in her eyes. "And the things the Ascended do in her name. But many of them had no choice, and even those who see through her lies can't abandon her for fear of her wrath. They're victims in this, even the guilty ones, and I would see them treated with justice rather than- than- than condemning them all to death!"

By the end of her tirade, Amalia has changed. Fire glitters in her hair, which is adorned in a crown of small, thorny roses. Two antlers bud upon her forehead, and her leopard ears are flush upon her skull. She glares at Gideon through defiant dark eyes, her cheeks flushed with fervor. The Priest has no way of knowing how tired the Shield is of being asked to condone the massacre of the Ascended- but gods, has he struck a nerve.
Amalia
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
"I'm sure you did." Gideon replied with a smile, not apologising as he'd never actually said anything to the contrary. Knowing that Amalia came from Sanctuary was interesting, though; he'd almost written off the place as a failed prison, not anywhere were something worthwhile might happen like the birth of a Demi-God.

Amalia's anger was hot and suddenly much more intense. Gideon stopped, held up his palms in a show of surrender. While he still felt he knew better on this topic (the Gods were very clear about it, after all), he didn't want to argue with a Demi-God; such a thing was virtually unthinkable, for both a Priest and a member of the Order.

"I never said anything about condemning to death. It's clear though that we might have different opinions on this whole thing. Probably fortunately in your view, I've never actually met an Ascended-" Untrue. "-And don't intend to, so you don't need to worry about any dangers for them from ol' me." Lowering his hands, hopefully as she calmed down, he shifted his weight to another foot as he thought.

"Empathy is a good quality. Maybe you're here to remind us of that. I do sometimes struggle with it, when it comes to the Ascended." Gideon nodded solemnly.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"If not death, then what? What would this 'definite defeat' be?" She's tired- tired of these people coming and speaking in pretty words, but telling her nothing at all. Tired of running in circles, trying to solve problems she can't understand. Tired of the burdens and expectations.

Tired.

Exhaling sharply, Amalia turns away from Gideon, shifting the parcels she carries. She does not want to fight him, especially one who is a Priest of the Old Gods - a position that certainly comes with far more wisdom than the girl holds. "I'm sorry. It's been a difficult... difficult few weeks. I shouldn't have yelled at you- I'm sure you know more of what the Old Ones will than I."

She does not look back, her eyes downcast as they enter the last stretch of road before the Palace. "There are... many of the Ascended are people I know. Knew, before. Some were even friends...." She swallows hard, feeling a wave of shame wash over her. "...or family."
Amalia
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
"That's a question for the Gods, whom I am only a servant for." Gideon said easily, shrugging his shoulders; admittedly, this was somewhat of a stock answer he went to when he was backed into a corner he couldn't get out of. He meant death for the Ascended and usually, would have no issues admitting that - but clearly Amalia didn't like it, and with her being as beloved by the Gods as she was, he tried to censor his opinions.

It seemed he was not the only one who didn't like the suddenly mounting tension. He smiled at her apology and nodded. "No harm done. These are, after all, important topics. It's good to be passionate." Amalia didn't look back up at him but he continued on anyway, listening to her speak and hoping he had not cast away a Demi-God from the Order: he would definitely hear about it from Cian if that was the case.

"..Family?" He asked, the surprise clear in his tone. "You have a family member that has fallen to the Voice? How sad, that someone like you, could be related to someone like that."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"You're a Priest, and from Stormbreak. I know that you... people, this Order, have plans." Frustration clips her words- she's terribly tired of feeling like she knows the least, by people who are clearly hiding information, who want to use her for her faith.

But she is trying to soothe her temper, and so she lets it go for now, inhaling the frigid Halo air and pressing down her rising aggravation and anxiety. High-strung from recent troubles, that's all. There is no reason for her to mistrust this man, charming and knowledgeable as he is. And then there is the issue of her own shameful sins, her ties to the Ascended that run deeper than she'd known or expected growing up.

Scuffing a bare, half-shifted foot over the cold cobbles, Amalia bites her lip and tries very hard not to sink into the ground. "I didn't know we were family, when he... fell." Maybe she could have helped Sam, saved him before he was lost. "He tried to leave her... I even took him to Safrin, but she said there was nothing to be done. I thought maybe I could save him, but..." I failed.
Amalia
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
"They do. I'm not privy to all of them either." Gideon said nothing more; he truthfully didn't actually know if the Order's final plan involved the deaths of all Ascended, but he would not be surprised to find that was the case (and hoped, and was under the impression, that is was).

Thankfully it seemed he had not committed an unforgivable sin in Amalia's eyes and it appeared that she calmed down and tried to move on, so he did too. The news of her Ascended family member was more than enough to distract anyway, Gideon immediately full of sympathy for her, for how it had to feel to have someone you were close to fall pray to the Voice.

He nodded solemnly as she spoke. "I have asked before if there is anything to be done to save their souls. There isn't; it's not a fault of yours." It was simply irreversible, like losing a limb: no amount of love and hope would replace it. "Was he willing to come with you to Safrin? Most of them are ardently loyal to their Goddess, aren't they?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"They're loyal because they have no choice." It's a quiet, pained whisper, straining against her throat. Her eyes clench closed and she shakes her head, trying to clear her thoughts. "He left her. Or, he tried. He left her and he went with me to Safrin, and when there was nothing she could do I told him I'd try to find a way."

A shuddering sigh, tears blinked away behind fluttering lashes. She turns her face up to the horizon, the palace that is now close enough to run to and hide within. She wants to run away, to take shelter behind the walls, and yet she hesitates. Her confession is not finished.

Amalia turns back to Gideon, taking a deep breath. "But in the end he went back. Because if he hadn't, he would have died. Because she told him he could choose, but he couldn't." She isn't trying to justify it. She still disagrees with Sam's decision, still thinks that it was weak, but Amalia understands. He trapped himself in an impossible situation, enslaved and chained by a smiling captor.

Just like the others who come through the portal.

"That's why I want to help the Ascended. Because at the end of the day, they're not free. They're slaves to a goddess who does not love them, only what they can do for her. And some of them have made a choice and done terrible things in her name that deserve justice, but most of them? They're captured children, for a mother who treats them like tools."
Amalia
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
Amalia certainly painted a sympathetic picture of the Ascended, far more empathetic than any account one would hear from the Order. Gideon listened to it with a genuine interest, wanting to hear what the outside world thought of those that were clear villains within Stormbreak: with the fight ahead, convincing those they needed to, it would be vital information.

"Sounds like a difficult situation." He nodded, unsure of what else to add. Her story didn't really contradict his worldviews: he already knew that many Ascended were trapped tragically within their predicament. It just didn't change anything for him. Sacrifices had to be made for the greater good, and it seemed here they would come in the form of redeemable Ascended. "You must think about what the Gods would say, though."

Purposefully vague, but easy enough for her to work out what he meant. With that said he moved the topic on until they reached the place she needed, Gideon depositing her bags and wishing her well, telling her to come to Stormbreak sometime - though he wondered just what this Demi God would think of their city, it's staunch and harsh views.

If he had been granted such blessings by the Gods, he knew he would not be so soft.

{FIN}