We Used To Vacation {O}
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE
Life is hard that's why no one survives
I'm much older than I thought I'd be
It's difficult to tell exactly how he's come here. Sure, the steps are all there, are all obvious, but when Nate really puts his mind to it, it's a blur. He'd been slinking through Haulani, wandering, looking for something he knows somehow, he won't really find in the coastal city, no matter how sprawling her markets are. Stumbling into the portal had been a mistake, the misty white in-between fraying his already delusional mind. Stumbling out was much harder, but when he managed it, he fell to his knees, all but gasping in relief.

When he looked around though, he was not home. Halo was a place Nate recognized, if only for it's stark obviousness. Going back through the portal was not an option, not until he'd had the chance to recover from his initial ordeal, or at least forget about it.

He'd started walking, aimlessly at first, then, as the glittering shape of the Citadel rose up before him, with an urgent purpose. Nate is dressed for a Torchline Longheat, and though the cold can't affect him, he still loathes the way it swirls around him now. Flitting from burst of heat to burst of heat like a moth, Nate wanders through the streets, aimless and lost, more than he even knows.
Feel like a fool, yeah, like a dancing fool, yeah
Footloose and fancy free
Amaris Chandrakant
The Blade

Age: 34 | Height: 5'8 | 172cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 5 - Int:
DRAMYRTH - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
The first thing Amaris noticed about Halo, was that it was cold.

This was perhaps an understatement. It was Longheat, and everywhere else in Caido, temperatures were soaring. And to the local populace of Halo, temperatures probably were indeed soaring in the midst of the Longheat compared to other times of year. But to Amaris, who had come from the humid, temperate realm of the far south (as far as one could go), it was cold here.

She wandered the streets, blending in as much as an individual with a golden dragon draped across her shoulders could blend in. Apparently, dragons were a touchy subject to Halovians - she probably wouldn't linger long here, lest she draw too much attention to herself by simply existing.

There was one who was dressed quite improperly for a venture to Halo. Golden eyes from Accepted and dragon watched the man wander here and there, marking him as an Outlander (which intrigued her), and not a local (which also intrigued her). What truly captured her attention though, was how he walked, aimless, lost, confused, like a drunk. Amaris knew well the symptoms this sickness showed, having memorised them the moment they were uttered.

"Are you alright?" she asked the man quite pointedly, when he wandered down the street, side-stepping smoothly so that he avoided actually colliding with her. Dramyrth, curled about her neck, looked over the man from his perch, a coil of smoke drifting up from the slit-shaped nostrils on his snout.11
Amaris
drákos istoría
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
It's clear Nate's not expecting to be spoken to, with the way his hunched form suddenly straightens, rising up to his full height with his arms pulled in tight to his sides. He's barely noticed the woman as he was approaching, but now, she's the only thing he can look at, mostly because of the golden dragon wrapped around her shoulders. The solitary blue eye widens, Nate leaning in closer, just a touch, but more than enough to send his whole form swaying.

There's something strange about the woman, something almost otherwordly, though it's difficult to put his finger on exactly what. She can't be from Halo, but she doesn't seem to belong to anywhere else either. At least, no where that he knows of. She has to belong somewhere.

Her question is one that Nate really isn't sure he's in the right place to answer. The chugging of his mind is almost audible, as he tries to construct a lie, while his mouth decides to take matters into it's own hands, and answers for him. "Yes. No, um, no, not alright, but... surviving." The uncharacteristic babbling has an even more uncharacteristic nervous bark of laughter leaving him, his tongue twisted but pressing on. "It's... cold, I'm cold. I'm sorry, can you... there's a Kraai, around here, but I've lost it." If he were more aware, he'd be a touch smug at how smoothly the Korofi rolled off his tongue, but as he was he barely registered it as a different language.

Finally, his mind catches up, wrangles control of his tongue again, but the only real decision he's come to is a kind of trade. It's fair in his mind. She had asked a question, and he had answered. Now he got to ask a question, for her to answer. "Is that a real dragon? Does it bite?"
Footloose and fancy free
Amaris Chandrakant
The Blade

Age: 34 | Height: 5'8 | 172cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amaris was not known for her patience, but she hid the itching need to extract answers from this man well. Dramyrth was even less patient than she, and less likely to hide such things. Low grumbles vibrated through him, audible only to her for now, given the way he was stretched across her shoulders - she felt them rather than heard them.

Golden eyes (from both the Blade and her dragon) narrowed as the man belatedly spoke, nonsensical babble that only cemented in the Accepted's mind what they were dealing with. He's sick, the thought settled comfortably in her mind - now she merely had to ascertain what the man was. She got no sense from the ring upon her finger about him, no hint that he was a fellow Accepted - which left a few other options, some savoury, others decidedly less so.

"What's a Kraai?" Making no motion to give direction, the Blade merely threw the question back at the man, aiming to get some clarity from this mess. Then the man was looking at her - no, at Dramyrth - and she sent pulses of amusement through their bond as the dragon varied from enjoying being the object of admiration to annoyance that the man thought him fake somehow.

"He is quite real," she supplied, arching an eyebrow as the dragonling lifted his head to give a broad yawn, teeth on full display. "And he does bite, quite hard."
Amaris
drákos istoría
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
”Crow is Kraai.” Nate offers helpfully, the literal answer rising to his tongue before he can even think. His jaw drops like he’s somehow surprised by the words that have just left him, and then he shakes his head, laughing while he does. ”But... I’m looking for the bar. My husband owns it.” A hitch, a hiccup almost, gives Nate pause. It’s the first time he’s called Sunjata his husband, and saying it fills him with all kinds of warm fuzzies, his grin practically goopy.

But... how long had it been since he’d seen Sunjata? Where was he, without his lover?

No sooner does the answer about the dragon come than his hand lifts, not quite reaching for the gilded dragon, but not quite not doing that either. Teeth alone aren’t a deterrent, but the warning from the equally gilded woman is, Nate’s face dropping. ”Dragons would bite hard.” Nate murmurs dejectedly, his hastily lifted hand faltering, though not dropping completely. ”Where did you find him?” He’d heard stories of dragons, both in Caido and not, and wondered if maybe, he could find one. A little one. No bigger than Pemota.
Footloose and fancy free
Amaris Chandrakant
The Blade

Change author:
He was looking for a crow, which was also a bar, that his husband owned.

It took a moment for the girl to understand everything she heard, a small frown touching her brow, though it didn't linger long as she took in everything else that was going on.

"A bar." She repeated, as if to confirm, though she kept speaking without awaiting for any such thing. "Can't be too hard to find, given the size of Halo." And then she was walking, a glance that said are you coming? given to the man.

Being in motion was far more comforting to the girl than standing still. And despite her anxiety, and prolonged sense of wondering what this man was, she would always gladly speak of her dragon - even if that dragon in question was still grumbling along her shoulders. At least the man had enough sense to retract the hand that was almost-not-quite reaching for the golden scaled creature.

"I found his egg, guarded closely by his mother," she began easily, casually leaning to peer down various streets that they passed to see if she could make out a bar. "The nest was several days of hiking away from home… my mother had taken me camping. She had a dragon too," she was known as the DragonHeart, the girl almost added, but caught herself in time.

"I gave tribute to the mother dragon, convinced her of my worth, and she entrusted me with his egg. We've been together ever since." Dramyrth's grumbles became quiet purrs as his mood was simmered down by the affection and nostalgia his bondmate conveyed, and she looked to the man with curiosity.

"What will you do once we find this bar?"
Amaris
drákos istoría
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
In a very small mercy, the loopy ascended managed to hold his tongue the whole time he was considered, giving Amaris more than enough room to put together his words. ”No, uh... wait, yes, it has to be around here somewhere.” Nate agrees, looking down corners like he’s trying to catch the building off guard. ”I just,” A helpless sort of laugh leaves him, half dizzy hysterical joy, and half panic, ”All the streets look the same here, with the, the snow, and the walls.” His arms are thrown out so widely he nearly toppled over, stumbling into the woman’s path quite by accident. ”Sorry, excuse me.” Came the hasty apology.

Having someone walking along with him eased a tremendous amount of anxiety, and as much as this woman was a stranger, she was also the only person who had stopped to check in on him. That had to be worth something. It was worth something, he simply wasn’t in the right mindset to be able to parse it. He did manage a wide grin, gaze flicking to the dragon again as a story began to unfold. ”What kind of tribute do you have to give?” If he ever wanted a chance at getting his own mini myth, he needed all the details possible.

”Pemota found me.” Nate hums, not that the woman had asked. Where was she now? Why did he keep losing precious things? ”I was... in a dark place. I thought I was alone, abandoned, but she found me.” Both hands come to grasp at his chest, and, as if this had been staged, a picture perfect moment, a little starwhal descends from above a roof, a decidedly disgruntled bend to her dimly glowing form.

With one crisis solved, and easily, Nate was all the more eager to find the Kraai, find his fiancé. ”I’ll find Sunjata there. I... I think I lost him, but we... we have a system. He comes here to check in, and I get lost while he works.” This is how it’s always worked, when he’s been alone in Halo. He does what he wants, wastes most of a day, and comes back to the Kraai to spend the night, then: ”We go home the next morning.”
Footloose and fancy free
Amaris Chandrakant
The Blade

Change author:
Perhaps the man wouldn't be so grateful to know why she lingered, why she exposed herself to a sick individual. Amaris merely silently observed his behaviour with the critical eye of a wolf observing a herd of deer, and honing in on the sick one to focus the pack's hunting efforts on. The slim woman deftly side-stepped out of the way of the man's stumbling gait, not allowing him to touch her, lest he be one of the more unfavourable races.

She couldn't really disagree with his assessment of Halo, but with the looks the locals were giving both of them - she for the dragon slung about her shoulders, he for his behaviour, she assumed - the Blade wasn't exactly keen on asking for local assistance. Besides, she was meant to lie low.

"Dragons love trinkets, things that shine, things of sentimental value. They also value food - I hunted a wild buck and presented the entire carcass to her, with the antlers decorated with gems and toys from my childhood." Child though she may have been, adept with weapons and being trained in such ways from a young age allowed her to claim such feats with open honesty. "..Pemota?"

The question rang out, before the dragon on her shoulders made a soft bugling note as he spotted something in the skies above. With her own gaze following, Amaris soon learned who Pemota was, and couldn't help the smile that touched her lips at the sight. Though it wasn't a dragon, that this man had a bond with a companion at all softened the Blade's initial standoffish feelings into something more genuinely amicable.

"Oh, I see," was all she had to say on his explanation of he and his husband's 'system'. Amaris kept looking, even as Dramyrth whined lowly against her something about this job being much easier if he could give her a view from the skies. But she kept him close, unwilling to draw that much attention to both of them. "Where's home?"
Amaris
drákos istoría
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Nate was engrossed in her tale, her instructions, as he saw them. His one good eye flicked between her, trying to give her all of his focus, trying to retain all of this, and the gilded dragon, temptation making his fingers, his hands twitch. They’re shoved into pockets and balled up quickly, giving the impression of a chill sinking into him, though he can’t really feel the cold.

For reasons he doesn’t understand, reasons he doesn’t even try to, the image of a buck, an arrow through its neck and it’s antlers wreathed in treasure and sentiment, sticks with him. Maybe he’s just adding details, an overactive but poorly working mind painting things too prettily with a brush of imagination, but maybe not. Either way, his voice is soft, nearly reverent when he speaks again. ”That’s... a good trade. Something... holy,” Nate laughs, the word not one to pass his lips often, almost surprisingly him with how strange it feels, ”for a connection. Companion.” A sage nod follows the words, before the moment is broken by his own companion.

Eager hands rise to cradle Pemota, a touch that she stays carefully out of reach of, prompting a whine from Nate. Instead, she considered her bondeds new company, dark eyes drinking in the woman, the dragon. She doesn’t trust them, even if Nate can’t see why, even if it deepens his pout when she does lower, her body between him and the strangers. The ascended doesn’t try to grab her again, distracted by the question.

”Home is Torchli-“ Images, memories of a fire flash before his eyes, halting his steps completely as he stares at them. ”Burned down.” They had done that, hadn’t they? Perhaps that was why he wandered so far, why he felt so lost, but it was just an excuse. Those were all he was good for, after all. With his face pinched, brows furrowed hard, unsteady hands reach out for the starwhal again, wanting to hold her close, a contact she begrudgingly allowed this time.

If home was destroyed and he was here, then he needed to find the Kraai. It was exactly a line of reasoning with all the steps filled in, but Nate had come to the conclusion regardless, and started walking again, more of a purpose to his steps. He turned to check that the woman still followed him, that he hadn’t left her behind, and caught something out of the corner of his eye, something that he him backtracking, turning down a street they’d just walked past. ”It’s here.” He murmured, to himself, to Pemota, still clutched close to him.

Another turn found them the bar, tucked in snugly, where it had always sat, and both Nate’s arms rose in silent victory, Pemota taking her chance to escape. ”This is it!” In a gesture that could have been smooth, if he didn’t sway so much while making it, he twirled to face his companion, pointing at her while he did. ”Let me get you a drink, Miss... ah, I-I..” Even without a telltale flush, embarrassment is easy to see. ”I forgot your name.”
Footloose and fancy free
Amaris Chandrakant
The Blade

Change author:
One thing Amaris knew about was dragons - she had a wealth of knowledge, had been raised to revere them, had a dream to explore the fabled world that the greater, larger cousins came from. Dragons, to her, were almost as much of a religion as the Old Gods, as important her prayers to Mort and Ludo. She was surprised as the man gave a rather accurate summation of the whole experience - it indeed was holy, in a sense, and not something everyone got to experience.

"How did you come by Pemota?" she asked, curious to know if those outside of Stormbreak revered companions the same way - their entire militia were made up of an elite guard of Accepted bonded to dragons. Were the other areas similar, in any way? Did they have the ability to organise, to fall into a structure that would give them advantages over their enemies?

The Blade silently hoped not.

Twin golden gazes watched the starwhal, a light huff of smoke puffing out from the nostrils of the dragon as he lifted his crown to consider her more closely. The mistrust the little whale felt was rightly placed - for in every moment, the Blade was measuring the man, calculating just where she might stick a sharp edge into him, and bring about his demise (should he prove to be an aforementioned enemy, of course).

Still, she followed him, and they came to the storied Kraai - where they came to a rather abrupt stop. It would seem the man did not notice the sign or state of the bar, but it was very clear that the premises was closed.

"Amaris," she supplied to his floundering reach for a name she had not yet given. "I don't usually day-drink," it was a quip, an observation of the long day that was summer in Halo, as the sun only teased about setting every 'night', but never did actually dip below the horizon. "It would seem we are too late, or maybe too early, for today, though." Gesturing to the 'Closed' sign on the door, she gave a shrug of her slender shoulders.
Amaris
drákos istoría
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
"I... it was late. And I was tired, so tired, I'm so tired... and... sad." The word is whispered like it's shameful, a shuddering sigh leaving Nate with it. The pause that comes with it lingers, almost long enough that it seems like he's forgotten the story altogether, before Pemota drifts into his sights again and reminds him. "I asked the... the stars, and the sky, if I'd be abandoned forever, and they answered with her." Again, he reaches out for Pemota, his whole being filled with love for her, for the Voice for giving her to him, enough that she can't help but nuzzle into him. Smiling, Nate holds her close for a moment, then glances towards the woman beside him, eye managing to avoid the dragon this time, though only barely. "She really doesn't like you though." His previous distress is forgotten completely, a laugh ringing through him now.

Nate doesn't know the danger he's in, the threat Amaris represented, not really. Here, in his state, she's the ony one who's given him the time of day, who'd let him ramble, tethering him back in reality, just a little bit. It won't last, it can't possibly, but for the moment, he manages to seem halfway competent, finding the path to the bar almost easily, once he'd found something recognizable.

The closed signs go right over his head, a gaze that's already swimming slipping right over the notices in his haste to enter, to thank this woman and to find Sunjata. "Amaris." He repeats, stressing all the wrong parts, like he's trying to sing it in a language not meant for it. "Thats pretty. I'm Nathaniel." He leans in like he's going to share a secret, some eathshattering truth, and whether or not she leans in whispers: "It's not pretty." Her talk of not day-drinking is met with a shrug, Nate turning to throw open the doors and finding them quite solid, locked up tight. An irritated snort leaves him, hands trying the handles again and again until all he can do is growl, and throw himself away from the stubbornly locked doors.

What kind of dickhead conspiracy is this? Get him to Halo, get him all lost, and then lock the doors to the closest place to home? Gods he hates this place. "I fucking... I'll get it." He promises, face set in a scowl when he turns back to Amaris, before suddenly shrinking down, becoming a bat before her eyes. The cold hits him first, sends naked wings flapping frantically, though in his haste to do something Nate has forgotten one key fact. He doesn't actually know how to fly, hasn't ever had the chance before now. How foolish he must look, flailing about on the ground, in his least favourite shape.
Footloose and fancy free
Amaris Chandrakant
The Blade

Change author:
The girl was surprised to hear that the starwhal didn't like her, but perhaps shouldn't have been. With her bond to Dramyrth, she had learned much about a companion's over-protectiveness to their bondmate, about their perception - and she also liked Pemota all the more for her wisdom and intuition in picking up Amaris' deeper intentions. She respected the starwhal, and glanced to her with a silent, almost imperceptible nod. Today was not the day that she would take action on anything she learned, but she could never rule out future action depending on how this day unfolded.

Nathaniel - at least she had a name to attach to the sick man before her. She wasn't one to be comfortable with strangers coming into her space - usually, if that happened, she was stepping into a stranger's space with a blade in hand to ensure they didn't have the opportunity to step into her space ever again.

So she took half a step back when he came in too close, a brow raising as he then rattled at the door which was very much locked and closed. Then she is utterly and completely surprised as he turns to her - Dramyrth's rumbles became a bit more vocal at that point, as he anticipated a violent action from the man.

But no violence came. Instead, Nate began to shrink, and something almost dragon-like appeared in place of his arms - wings. Amaris took another step back, but Dramyrth, no longer growling, was intrigued, and immediately hopped down to the now-bat-formed Nate's level, his own wings spread wide as he made himself seem bigger than he was. Oh, an attuned, Amaris comfortably jumped to that conclusion, only a slight frown on her face as she considered him. "Uhm, Nathaniel? Can you hear me? Dramyrth can show you how to fly if you like. You just need to… calm down."
Amaris
drákos istoría
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Nate has no way to know the threat his stumbling, wobbling motions are seen as, no way to correctthat perception. In fact, there is something inhim that seems to forget he's even being perceived, as his shape trembles, becomes something so familiar it makes his heart clench, no matter how impossible that is. Becomes something he loathes so much his stomach tries to rip out of him, has his flails growing a touch more desperate, int he moment before he wrestles some kind of conrol over himself, even if it's only a facade.

No... no... The mumbling words are silent, not that Nate really knows, but the bats tiny body language speaks volumes, wings lifting to try and hide him, pressed against the locked door of the bar that should, by all account, be home. Even the new closeness of the golden dragon doesn't seem to rouse his spirits, to Slowly, almost painfully, Nate's body grows again, spreading into a man curled up, the picture of defeat. Pemota floats closer to him, casting a shining curtain between her bonded and the strangers, while offering comfort in the same motion. "I... I should go home. I need to."

All at once, Nate is on his feet, hands moving over his chest, checking for whatever it is that feels so broken. There must be something, to explain the yawning empitness in his chest, the contradictory heaviness that seems to be trying to drag him back to the ground. Both hands reach out, once he's found nothing, once the reason for disapointment, for the check is struck from his mind. "Thank you, thank you." Whether Amaris allows him to grab her hands or not, Nate will still let his gratitude fall from his lips, a fervent oily thing, desperate to be believed. It's the only thing he leaves behind, Nate turning away quite resolutely, away from the bar, from his newfound companion, away from Snowcloak. The cold won't touch him, though it doesn't stop him from shivering, from trying to curl up and wind bites into him.

Fin~
Footloose and fancy free