The Weight of Living
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
I want to say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet
The journey to his shop from Milo's house had been a difficult one. While Ascended didn't get tired in the classical sense, Sam still felt as if each step took him hundreds of years, his feet feeling heavy enough to break through the ground. By the time they had reached the little map shop, it had taken everything in him not to lay down on the floor and stay there. Leaning against the counter, he instructed Milo on where to find the key to the attic and where the door was, just behind them.

Climbing the ladder beyond the door was harder still, but with help and the promise he might be able to rest after, Sam managed it, flopping out of the trap door and onto the dusty attic floor with none of his usual concern for his clothes. The space was considerable, three rooms all in all connected by a small thin corridor: two of a decent size and one smaller, likely once a bathroom when the building had been a home.

"...There...isn't anything up here, and it's a mess." Sam declared, even though it was probably obvious, gesturing about himself as if pointing out something Milo wouldn't be able to see.
Things will shortly get completely out of hand
Samuel
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MILO
now they're standing in the door
singin' "that's my shit, that's my shit"
It was a trip, Milo having to pack a few things with him in a bag, clothes and the like shoved into a small pack that he throws around his shoulders and follows Sam out the door of his home quickly. Luckily for him, the Ascended wasn’t moving too fast, having caught up to him quickly. And when they finally reach the map shop, it takes some encouraging from Milo to get Sam to go all the way.

Eventually, however, they’re climbing the ladder and he’s dropping his pack in the corner of the corridor. Turning to Sam, however, there’s an easy smile that splashes across his face – reaching out to tug the Ascended closer so they might inspect the rooms, letting Sam lean on him as much as he needed. “Y’know, so was yer shop before ya moved in. I should know, I’d seen it.” He flashes a playful wink toward the other man.

As for getting it ready, well, it would take some work – if only because of the ladder. “So’s here’s what we do. Yer gonna rest ‘n I’m gonna start sweepin’ up the dust and gettin’ the rooms ready.” A decisive nod is given to that, peeking his head into the varying rooms and waiting for Sam to pick one for himself.
that's what everybody wants an' some more
singing "you may be the death of me"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Sam had never had these kinds of friends before. The sort that would think to help you up to see each room, without even being asked. He lacked the strength to properly express himself at the moment, but he knew later he'd have to thank Milo. For now he just rested his head on his shoulder, tried his very best to listen to what he was saying. "Mmm, that's true."

As Milo laid out the plan he went to sit in the doorway to one of the rooms, looking in and smiling at it: light filtered in through a grubby, but large window looking out to the sea, and a sloped ceiling gave way to a cubby hole in the wall: it could be very cosy, if tidied up. "I like this one." He declared, then seemed to realise exactly what it was Milo had said. Trying to turn too quickly he ended up staring at Milo from the floor, but still whined: "Noo. I can't do nothing while you work. That's not fair."
Samuel
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MILO
It is true, and Milo’s half prepared to argue the point when Sam gives in. The thoughts leave his mind like the wind, and he flashes an amused grin toward the Ascended, before continuing to tug the man around to find a room he can pick for his home to be. Subconsciously, Milo wonders if he helps clean this up if he might be able to crash here a bit more often, a way to get out of his over crowded home with his family.

He doesn’t comment on it, though, not as Sam picks one and Milo nods, letting Sam sit back on the floor while he goes to figure out what they have from down below that might help them clean up. And when he’s back, he’s got a broom and a few other cleaning items, looking down at Sam from where he stands to hear the protest. “Aye, it ain’t. But yer sick. I forgive ya.” He flashes a crooked smile and a playful wink Sam’s way. “Ya just rest, a’ight? Keep m’company. Then we'll call it fair.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Milo went downstairs to fetch what he needed and while he was gone, Sam tipped his head back against the wall and closed his eyes, trying his best to collect his thoughts. It did make him smile, how Milo and Zeph had similar accents, how they were both looking after and helping him when he needed it: he was less alone, here in Torchline. In the Grounds, he doubted he'd have anyone willing to do this for him.

The moment of rest gave him enough clarity to sit up properly. As Milo came up the ladder he even properly understood what was said, not even needing to digest the words through the usual brainfog. "..Alright, but I want to actually pay you back later. Free maps for life, or something. Or...or maybe when I'm really better..." A smirk came to his face, some of his normal walls still knocked down by exhaustion and delirium. "...we can use the counter again."

Cheeky laughter making him sink down a little further against the wall, he look over what Milo had brought in. "...You don't have to...clean it that close. Just enough that I won't wake up covered in spiders, you know...then it's alright. I'll do it myself when I'm better."
Samuel
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
He’s about to ask what he needs free maps for, before a thought occurs to him. It doesn’t remain in his head long, not as Sam continues on – talking of counters and getting better. Milo would be lying if he didn’t feel his blood heat, at least a fraction of an amount while he moves to go and sweep up a bit more, trying to pull some of the dirt into a corner before he moves on and begins to dust the rest of the space. “Y’liked the counter?” Milo asks, casting an amused glance back toward Sam. It’s not like he’ll complain though, he’ll take it either way if he gets to feel the heat of a bite again.

The mention of spiders, though, has a smirk crossing Milo’s face – a nod offered as he grabs a different type of broom, one made more specifically for dusting cobwebs and spiderwebs alike – running it along the edges of the corridor and the frames of the doors. “Not a fan of ‘em? Th'spiders, that is.” He asks, making a note not to summon them even as a joke.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Milo's question made Sam frown; at first with a confused smile, then as time went on with a bit more concern. Had Milo not liked it? Sick and paranoid mind likely making it into a much bigger deal than it had to be, he awkwardly laughed (the sound too stilted and quiet to be real) and said: "Yes? Didn't you?" He hadn't even been able to feel the full benefits of it physically, but he'd loved how desired Milo could make him feel.

Still, it was nice to see how simply caring Milo could be, Sam watching him immediately go to brush off the corners and edges as soon as he mentioned spiders. "Is anyone?" He asked, a little shudder in his shoulders.

He was quite content to let himself drift off as Milo worked for a while, dozing in an odd state of half-awakeness, not quite asleep but not all there either. His mind came up with thoughts he grasped onto for all of a second before they floated away, until one in particular took hold. Sitting up straight, Sam quite suddenly cried: "Milo! What if you moved in here too, with me!"
Samuel
Base Code by Sky!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
His attention focuses on cleaning now, as Sam’s question hits. And perhaps he shouldn’t have asked the question with the tone that the Ascended replies back with, but he can’t help but to let a playful smirk cross his face regardless. “No, I did. A lot. Just…” He pauses in his clearing up of webs and dust to lean over toward Sam. “There’s plenty’a other places it’s fun too.” His brow raises with the grin shot Sam’s way, before he’s moving on and clearing up more of the webs.

I don’t mind ‘em. Eat alla the other worse bastards ‘round the house.” He says by means of liking spiders. He supposes he might have to be the rescuer of the arachnids if he spends more time with Sam. On that subject, however, he’s sweeping dust into a pile when Sam suddenly shouts at him.

He jumps, because of course he does. “Oy, well…” Is there really a reason not to? He can’t think of one. So he flashes Sam a bright smile. “Sure. Wouldn’t hurt t’get away from the fam’ a bit.” And it’s not like he’s far from home anyway.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
"Oh. Oh." Unable to contain his embarrassment and glee, Sam laughed and covered his face, dipping his head down to his knees. It was hard to believe when he was well that someone like Milo was attracted to him; ill as he was, it was practically unthinkable.

While he supposed the logic around not hating spiders was okay, he wasn't convinced. They were still gross and Sam hadn't seen a lot of the 'worse bastards'. Watching Milo sweep around the room he could almost feel like things were normal, chatting about bugs and seeing the attic slowly turn into more of a living space. If not for the odd, swimming sensation in his brain, Sam might have enjoyed himself.

He did manage a proper smile when Milo agreed to his impromptu decision, not having expected that at all. There would be things to work out of course, but the knowledge that he wouldn't be alone was enough to make Sam not worry about them for now. "..Thank you. You can pick which room you want."

{FIN}
Samuel
Base Code by Sky!