{open} summer in the city
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper had known before coming that Fae probably weren't a common sight in Torchline -- even less than they were in the Hollowed Grounds. But knowing that didn't fully prepare her for the number of stares she received as she walked Haulani's streets, resisting the urge to spread her wings and hop into the air simply to avoid feeling loomed over by the taller outsiders. As when she'd ventured into the Grounds, she'd brought goods for trade, quality venison and hides from her hunting in the Greatwoods. Once again, however, she had no idea where to trade them, and her true purpose was simply to strike up conversation with some locals, to learn more about Torchline. While she had some idea of what the Grounds were like, Torchline was a near-total blank in her mind, and she wanted to fill in some of that blank.
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
just take your time wherever you go
A Fae was an unusual sight in Torchline indeed, even for a man with one eye. Word had spread swiftly through the informal communications channels that the smugglers and other rough denizens of the region used that one of the winged beings was in the area. However, none had approached.

Until Saiden that was: he swaggered up to her, missing eye covered in a classic eyepatch. Other than that, a pair of shorts, and a cutlass belted to his waist, that was all he wore. "Well, well, well, what do we have here?" He swept his gaze over her and then grinned. "Yer a pretty little thing, aren't ye?"
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
That was ... not the welcome Juniper had expected, or hoped for, though perhaps that had been naive of her. She raised an eyebrow, looking Saiden up and down, and resisted the urge to hover off the ground to bring herself to his eye level. That would just emphasize the difference between their heights.

She wanted to say So I've heard, but that would be a lie: people didn't call her pretty very often. Not because she wasn't, exactly; more because she was too isolated to receive compliments. She elected to ignore the backhanded compliment, then, and instead tilted her head. "Are you supposed to be the dashing Torchline pirate I've heard so much about? Your 'dashing' needs work."

table by Skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Laughing at the Fae's response, Saiden shook his head. "Rest assured I run just fine." He scratched under his chin, a smirk resting on his lips.

"But don' let my cap'n hear ye call me a pirate. He'd probably slit yer throat without blinking." Although he waggled his eyebrows at the woman, it wasn't actually a joke. "We're smugglers." He nodded at her.

Then he gestured at the furs she'd brought along. "Hope ye weren't looking ta sell those. Even if it weren't hot as balls here year round, those aren't what we like to trade around these parts." He narrowed his eyes at her, still grinning. "O' course, deals can always be made. If ye know how. And, more importantly, who."
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper couldn't help laughing a little at Saiden's response.

"Pirate, smuggler -- what's the difference?" Juniper wrinkled her nose a bit. "Especially if they both slit throats."

She didn't sense any real danger in Saiden's words -- unwisely, perhaps, but then she wasn't accustomed to the idea that someone could smile and kill at the same time. Juniper knew the dangers of the woods, the venomous snakes and wandering bears, but Torchline was all new to her.

Yes, Juniper could imagine that they wouldn't have much use for furs here -- though they might find the venison more valuable. Still, she raised an eyebrow at Saiden. "Am I to take it that you know who I should be trading with?"

table by Skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Scowling at the Fae's comment, Saiden rested his hand on the hilt of his cutlass. "The difference, little lady, is that pirates are scum and smugglers are hard-working folk. If ye get that wrong again I'll have to teach you the error of yer ways, ye hear me?" His fingers curled along his weapon as he narrowed his eye at her.

Shrugging, he crossed his arms. "Aye I do. But what am I gonna get if I tell ye who those people are and where ye can find them?" Cocking his head to the side, he arched an eyebrow. He gestured for her to make her best pitch as to why he should help her.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper narrowed her eyes back at Saiden, now understanding the danger. She didn't appreciate the threat, though she knew he could probably make good on it. Fae could pack a lot of martial might into a small package, but ... not Juniper. If Saiden had been 50 feet away in some underbrush, she could have taken care of him just fine, but not up close -- he'd gut her before she got her bow drawn, and his cutlass was a good bit longer than the hunting knife in her own belt. "I'll take your word for it."

After receiving that threat, Juniper wasn't exactly inclined to make nice with Saiden -- or follow his directions. For all she knew, he could be setting her up, leading her into a trap in which she'd be robbed or worse. She shrugged, flicking her wings. "Maybe I'll take my wares to Halo. They can always use warm furs, I imagine."

table by Skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Not particularly caring how the Fae took his words, Saiden just stared at her. It was only when she spoke that he lifted his hand from his cutlass. "Aye, ye do that." He grinned, showing off a few too many teeth for it to be anything but another threat.

When she declared that she'd take her trade elsewhere he shrugged. Clearing his throat, he spat on the ground to the side of them. "Maybe ye will and maybe they do. No skin off my nose where ye trade if yer not gonna trade with me." He gestured in the vague direction of the port. "Ye presumably know where the portal is."
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Charming. Juniper's eyes narrowed and she contemplated a sarcastic response for a second before deciding that this man simply wasn't worth her time -- nor was getting the last word in worth the risk that he might turn violent.

"I do," she said. Then she couldn't resist a little sarcasm: "it was nice meeting you."

With that, she stretched her wings and leapt into the sky -- the best way, she figured, to ensure that he didn't have a chance to stab her in the back. Not that she considered it likely, but, well, you only had to make that miscalculation once.

{FIN}

table by Skylark