best if you didn't know
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 40 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: / - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 19 - Int: 2
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Cian
On a gathering storm comes
A tall handsome man
Cian is one of those men who appears entirely at ease in whatever environment he finds himself in. Amidst gunfire and chaos, he's the sort of man still able to recite poetry with heart-wrenching inflection; able to cut a man's throat and hold easy banter while he does it. He is a hard man. A calculating man. A man who understands the big picture and who had no use for sayings like know which battles are worth fighting. When you're always the winner, they're all worth fighting. But then, Cian also doesn't deal in trivialities. He is not one for garbage fires.

What that means for Finn is yet to be seen. Is he a battle worth fighting? Or is he a garbage fire that can burn itself out for good?

Seated at Finn's bedside, one leg comfortably crossed over the other, the Eye's pale blue stare trickles over the pages of the book he's reading. The cover is well-worn, lovingly taken care of, and clearly on its last legs. The title can hardly be seen, and there is blood stained into many of the pages.
In a dusty black coat with
A red right hand
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
you are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world
There’s a little more colour in Finn’s cheeks, these days, but the Spyglass has a long way to go and an unknowable amount of time at his disposal. Still, the IV is gone from his arm and his appetite has returned, so whilst he still needs a lot of sleep (and it’s dreamless, wonder of wonders), he looks a lot more comfortable in his hospital bed. That’s all about to change, of course, with a simple act of being there, in that way that Cian does.

Stormy eyes peek open, clear and brighter than they have been in weeks, but as they flick around and catch on the Eye, Finn’s breath freezes in his chest. He swallows, forcing back the sick surprise that curls in his stomach, and reaches up to rub at his beard (it is beyond stubble, these days). ”Good morning, Cian,” he murmurs, feeling the encounter settle in his veins like ice water, bringing with it a horrible sense of calm.
and that, I believe
is why you are in so much pain
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 40 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Cian
A tall handsome man
The Eye doesn't move or look up, but not for lack of awareness. He's finishing out his page, and for anyone looking on, they'd notice that he seems to have slowed down his reading at precisely this moment. Funny, that. "Afternoon, actually." Cian corrects on the inhale, brows raised at something he's read, as he closes the book and places it in his lap.

"Thought we might have a bit of a chat." The Eye explains. It's strange how his voice just now makes him sound as if they're tilling some dry and dusty field. It's entirely unbothered, a touch weary, but easy-going and pleasant sounding; almost as Finn has the option to say no."
A red right hand
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
What otherwise would seem painfully awkward, this time passes in a pleasant sort of blur for Finn. He’s coming around from sleep and the Eye’s silence is almost comfortable, allowing him to get his thoughts in order. Finn still gets the impression that he’s walking a tightrope, though, so he relishes this sense of ease while he can. ”My apologies. Time seems to melt together, lately,” he murmurs.

A chat? Finn knows he has no choice, but the illusion is nice; his hand moves up to rub at his eyes. ”I would like that,” he says, which might possibly be a first in their time together. ”I attempted to get back, when you sent my compass,” he mutters, eyes still shut. ”I was trying to come home.”
and that, I believe
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
Cian
A tall handsome man
Lately, Cian nearly says with a laugh. Instead, he simply gives the Spyglass a long and thoughtful look. It is nearly as intimate as a lover might when confessing their affection, so carefully does the Eye's gaze wander over Finn's face. The gauntness. The colour. The unshaven cheeks. The lack of glasses.

"Were you now." Cian says with an idle nod, a bored sort of disbelief on his lips. "But that isn't what I wanted to speak with you about." Whether that meant Finn had no chance for redemption or whether absolution had already been offered was apparently not going to be revealed. "I worry about you, Finn." The Eye goes on, shifting in his chair that he might more easily look upon the Spyglass. Unlike most, Cian seems to have a penchant for eye-contact. Or at least, he's never the first to break it.

"From what I've heard from our dear Fixer and even from Doctor Hart, you seem to have been...rather taken with the demigods." His lips pull into a small smile. "Or rather, two in particular." Happily Cian allows the silence to simmer between them before speaking again. "What can you tell me about that?"
A red right hand
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
There’s no wordplay to be had, no dancing around the situation. Even if Finn had been on top of his game (something he honestly doesn’t think has ever happened in his life), Cian is not one with whom he can dance and come out in the lead. So Finn relaxes into the bed and listens, listens hard. His stormy eyes meet the other man’s, a little hazy with sleep, still, but filled with the quiet intelligence that has been lacking for so long.

He doesn’t know how to take the perceived worry or affection, so he does nothing with it, waiting patiently for the hammer to drop. And when it does - taken with them, indeed - Finn releases a long sigh. ”The Shield and the Lullaby,” he says quietly. ”I overstepped. Forgot my priorities.” He shakes his head. ”I never ought to have let it get so out of hand.”
and that, I believe
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
Cian
A tall handsome man
"What adorable titles they have for themselves, eh?" Cian chuckles as if they were doing nothing more than discussing the names of show dogs. Shield and lullaby. It was gratuitous and unearned in the Eye's opinion, though his thoughts on the honourary titles afforded to Amalia and Remi were not what they were here to discuss.

"I think you forgot a good deal more than that." Without a cigarette in his hands there is nothing for Cian to channel his inner thoughts into. So it is that his gaze is all the more penetrating. All the more inflexible for his stillness. "But you did." Cian interjects. "Let it get out of hand, that is." There is laughter in the Eye's blue gaze, or if not, something close to it. "What do you think we should do about that?"
A red right hand
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
”Like a fairytale,” Finn agrees. Cian’s gaze burns into him, and he isn’t sure whether it’s a good idea or not to hold it. But the Spyglass can’t seem to look away, and he swears he can see the familiar dark and smoky aura that wreaths the Eye, even without his glasses. He is caught watching the flickers of shadow that haze and dance just in the periphery of his vision, and the fingers of his left hand twitch in the cast.

”I think you may be right,” he says. He has forgotten his purpose, his boundaries, his job and his alliances. He has thrown it all away for... for what, even? Finn isn’t even sure he knows what it was all for. Perhaps he is just sick, at the end of it all. Just a sick man with a useful skill. And what should they do about him, Cian asks?

Finn finally breaks his gaze, staring up at the ceiling. ”At minimum, a confinement to Stormbreak and removal of my compass for the foreseeable future,” he says softly, as if he’s speaking about somebody else. ”But if the breach is too grave, demotion. Potentially even removal from the Order. All is at the Eye’s discretion, of course.”
and that, I believe
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
Cian
A tall handsome man
Do you Finn? Do you think I might be right? So expressive is the Eye that he needs neither telepathy nor an animated face in order to convey his thoughts. It is in the subtle things, the narrowing of his eyes, the twitch of an eyelash, the curl of a smile that touches only a fraction of his lips.

That it's all Finn's idea is no accident. Nodding, satisfied by most of this, Cian laces his fingers together on his lap, tilting his head slightly such that his raised brow appears more pronounced. "Demotion? Ahh, Finn. Y'don't even have your glasses. That's as much of a demotion as anything." And indeed, what point is there in demoting Finn when he's already done such a marvellous job of that himself?

"I think some time here might do you a bit of good. Allow you to get...reaquianted with things." Like the Silk Houses, for instance.
A red right hand
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
His eyebrows furrow at that, focused as he is on the plain ceiling of the medical clinic. ”I had thought they were in my rooms,” he says of his glasses, though by no means is he suggesting that Cian is wrong. Something tightens in his chest at that, some clawing panic that is quickly swallowed back down. He will have time to ponder on their loss and its meaning to him in the Order at a later time. At present his future hangs in the balance, with or without spectacles.

Jaw feathering at Cian’s agreement - staying put in Stormbreak and all that it has to offer, good and bad - is an expected blow, and he lets it show on his face. Still, he dares not argue. ”I expect there is plenty of research to do. Plenty of work that has piled up in my absence,” he agrees, like it’s an amicable idea for them both. ”Work not relating to recently found demigods.”
and that, I believe
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
Cian
A tall handsome man
"You'll find they aren't." Cian says with an idle shrug as if he's doing Finn the favour of saving him the search. Finn will likely look just the same, but that's nothing that concerns the Eye.

"Oh on the contrary." Cian is fishing for something in his pocket, though it's clearly for show, his pocket not being overly large as it is. "You're in an ideal position to tell us everything you know of the Shield and Lullaby. Every intimate detail." Of which there are many. The slow blink and stare the Eye levels at the Spyglass suggests that, like normal, he knows far more than Finn would like him to.

Switching gears, Cian pulls in a bright and quick breath, holding it for a moment before exhaling it in a woosh as he looks around the room. "You'll be released today I hear. That's cause for celebration, eh?" A hand still in his pocket, the Eye removes it with a private smile. It is a bolt of blue silk, freshly pressed and smelling of flowers. "The girls down at Molly's say to tell you hello, and to stop by."

Did they say that? Or did Cian imply that they might find themselves with a new employee one of these days? Reaching over, Finn's casted-hand closest to the Eye, Cian begins to tie it around the cast. So Finn doesn't lose it, of course. It is a gift afterall.
A red right hand
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
The clawing in his chest turns into something squirming and cold low in his belly as Cian continues to speak. The implication that he will not find his glasses in his rooms either suggests that they have been searched already, or that he returned without them and their absence has been reported. Finn knows which he prefers, but he dare not ask in case he does not like the answer. ”I am?”

It’s in response to everything: is he in a good position to reveal all? Is he being released today? What about the inevitable return to sickness that Doctor Hart suggested? But Finn, too elated at the prospect of closing his door on the world for a while, says nothing more - at least not until Cian mentions Molly’s, and a stripe of blue catches the corner of his eye.

Suddenly the Spyglass feels hot and cold all at once, and he can’t do a damned thing as Cian reaches over to tie the silk around his cast. But he imagines how it would feel gliding between his fingers; no, he doesn’t have to imagine it at all. He knows how it would feel, slipping across perfumed skin, fastening securely into knots and leaving no marks.

What he does imagine, is whether the Eye’s face will turn a similar colour if he tightens the bolt of blue around his neck. He imagines what it might be like, for the silk to tighten against his hands, for a last, smoky breath to rasp from between Cian’s lips. Finn has a good imagination.

”I will be sure to send my regards,” he almost whispers.
and that, I believe
FINN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
Cian
A tall handsome man
Cian ignores the question, not terribly in the habit of repeating himself. Unlike Finn, the Eye is very good at reading people, not that the Spyglass is all that subtle in the tension that seems to shimmer around his eyes. "There. Now you won't forget them." He says crisply, admiring the perfect bow that hides October's drawings and seems to scream to be seen. To be touched. To be tied.

"Excellent. There's a good lad." Cian says with a nod, reaching out to clap Finn on the shoulder. His hand doesn't move right away, nor does the warm smile on his lips. However the warmth is about as far from Cian's eyes as independence is from Finn's life.

"Right. Well if there's nothing else, I'll leave you to it." Standing, the Eye gazes down on the Spyglass with a wide smile. "Y'should try and get out for a few walks, Finn. You're looking quite pale." Thoughts of murder tend to do that to a person, but nevermind.
A red right hand
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
”How could I?” Finn wonders, gazing down at the perfect blue bow on his wrist, even as Cian rises to his feet. Only when the rough clap to his shoulder rouses him does he raise his gaze to the Eye, to his crocodile smile and his denim blues. ”I hear the Celestine is beautiful in LongHeat,” he says of taking a few walks. He knows Cian doesn’t mean to the gardens, but the Silk Houses are more for blushes than tans.

”Thank you for visiting.” He watches the other man as he leaves, Finn grave as a corpse in his bed, Cian perfect and purposeful. The Spyglass continues to watch the door for a long few moments afterwards, too, and it’s a very slow movement that brings the cast up towards his lips. He feels the silken bow brush against them. He smells the flowers.

And a very quiet, very faint smile curls across his lips, as though Finn has just played a secret game with himself. As if he’s just won.

~FINn!?
and that, I believe
FINN