the dreaded teen years
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN
It had been difficult for Bastien to contain his surprise when he had entered Azrael's bedroom on this particular morning and instead of the small child he had been raising, he had been faced with the oddly lanky limbs and longer face of a young teenager. His child had been growing quickly, as he knew they would, but it had been gradual, a little more every day, not too hard to deal with; this shift had been so sudden he had no idea how he was going to keep them clothed.

For now, they had made do with a couple of Rexanna's clothes tightened and buttoned. It was hardly glamourous, but it covered their modesty and allowed them to rush happily about, should they want to, on the walk they were taking. Bastien had begun to take Azrael out and about often now, thinking it was good to show them the world around them, though until this point their observations had been limited to childish pointing and shouting of singular things they saw, perhaps the odd question.

Now, it would clearly be different. Stepping over a stone pillar and holding out a hand to help his child across, Bastien asked: "What do you think of all these ruins, Az? Do they seem beautiful to you?"
Fade to the close-up
We're gonna stay naive tonight
Base Code by Sky!
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
Azrael

They had been gradually growing, though it wasn’t until a few nights before Leafchange when the bigger growth spurts had come. Luckily, it was quiet, they didn’t feel pain or the frustrated lingering adjustments needed to get used to it. Really, the most that happened was getting used to the length of their limbs, of their sudden height in comparison to how they had been when the Voice had given them to their father and mother.

So it’s of no surprise they have to make do with some of Rexanna’s clothes. Azreal doesn’t mind, feeling that added bit of closeness to their mother that they hadn’t quite understood before their mind had matured. It hasn’t fully, yet, but the process has begun, voice far less childish, and a bit more free reign to go and explore.

They’re excited when Bastien takes them to the ruins, honeyed eyes tipped in sapphire scanning the area of what seemed like such destruction. But there was beauty within it, if one knew where to look.

They take Bastien’s hand, stepping over the pillar with a hop, before shifting by their attention back to their father. “I think… There’s opportunity here.” They say, surprisingly well spoken with the books they’d read and stories Bastien had told them. “Could it be remade? Or should it be left alone?” They ask, looking back around, letting go of their fathers hand as their calculating mind takes them deeper, fingers running along the edge of a broken wall covered with vines.
mind over matter
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
While Azrael's sudden maturation had been a surprise, Bastien was thrilled to find his child was curious and well spoken, their questions intelligent and interesting. He had dreamed of Azrael being observant of the world around them, wanting to find out and create and question, but had not put too much hope in the idea, aware that they were their own person who could well find interest in other things, such as (perish the thought) sports.

"Opportunity." He repeated with a smile, looking out over the tarnished cobbles and old homes. "What is it you'd see it remade to? I don't see why it ought to be left alone, if there was something better. After all, we live in the skeletons of old houses in Sanctuary." The house where they lived had once been a dusty, abandoned hall, after all, and just like that this place could one day be something new.
Fade to the close-up
Base Code by Sky!
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Azrael

They don’t feel much as their fingers trace the lines of the wall of stone. But it’s no matter – they can see what it could have been, what it could become, listening idly despite the gears turning in their head to their father’s words, mulling it over with a tilt of their head this way and that. “It could be a series of new homes?” They suggest, lips pursing as they withdraw their hand and turn to look back at Bastien, a smile playing on the edge of their lips.

We could make… A city, like in the stories you told me!” There’s a bit of brightness to their eyes, a sort of childish gleam that has them rocking forward on their toes before slipping back on their heels. “It could be new and great. That’s what I see.” New and great, like they had become from the Voice’s own hand.

They pause, practically skipping over toward Bastien, a wide fanged smile spreading across their face. "Can we?"
mind over matter
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"New homes. That is a nice thought." Bastien found it heartwarming that his child's first idea was to build something to help others, rather than something that he might have chosen at that age, like a personal graffiti canvas stretching over several buildings, or a private pool, or somewhere to hold parties. Perhaps this was the Rexanna in Azrael coming out.

The mention of Venice drew from him a gasp, his own excitement mirroring his childs, though Bastien did have the experience of age to draw him back down. "Hmmm. Well, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to try, but you must consider that cities are made of many things. Homes, shops, courtyards, statues, bars...most importantly, people." It was hard to imagine, when one looked across the moss-covered courtyard, that it could ever be (or ever had been) bustling with people.

"Maybe you can think of some ideas, sketch them out when you get home, then we work on them one by one. What is the first thing you'd want to do, for your city?"
Fade to the close-up
Base Code by Sky!
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

The excitement that comes from Bastien has Azrael grinning brightly to their father, nodding their head in agreement and understanding, the dark curls bouncing around their head. “Okay!” They chime, the obvious excitement radiating through them while they focus on the prospect laid out before them. They glance around the ruins again, almost visualizing the bustling space, unable to wipe the eager smile from their face. “I think… I think if we made it look nicer more people would want to come, don’t you think?” They ask, turning back to glance at their father before they step deeper into the ruins.

They commit as much of the layout to memory, what pieces had fallen, what statues could be repaired, what walls would need reinforcing. “I want to clean it up.” They admit, perhaps a bit quiet but sure that Bastien can hear them over the gears whirling in their mind. “Make it look warm and inviting, a place for people to enjoy.” With beauty and art, fun and games, and more importantly, shelter and warmth.
mind over matter
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Your first consideration is aesthetic - you truly are my child." Bastien laughed, shaking his head, but clearly pleased that Azrael was taking after some of his principles. "Yes, I do think it would help if it looked good. After all, the first impression is made with the eyes." He followed Azrael into the ruins deeper, looking about at the rough stone and overgrown buildings; had this place once been decadent? It was beautiful in it's own way now, but not in a sense that would draw people to live there.

He knew that what he imagined when he looked about had been influenced by when and where he had come from, Bastien immediately super-imposing Italian architecture and art over the walls and floors; it would be interesting to see the sources of Azrael's inspirations. "Clean it up? I'm not sure you know just how much work that would entail, dear. You'd have to use a myriad of tools in many different ways." There was moss, stone, dirt, age-old debris to clean...it would be years before the place was entirely presentable.

"How about you start with one room, and see how that goes?"
Fade to the close-up
Base Code by Sky!
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

Bastien’s laughter sparks a bit of amusement within Azrael as well, flashing a grin their father’s way. There’s a nod of their head, agreeing that it would need to be cleaned up first, cleaned up and perhaps fixed, maybe keeping some of the rustic edges of the ruins just purely for aesthetics. But they traverse deeper into the ruins and broken walls, half standing pillars, some covered with ivy and decade old mud.

I can do it.” They say somewhat positively, albeit naively. They’re sure the Voice would help with the endeavor, should they wish to pursue it. In the meantime, however, they take mental calculations, notes that they could expand on when they got home, to draw up a plan and perhaps start it. And that’s when an idea hits them, whirling to face their father, standing still in place when their father suggests starting with one room. “Do you think the Family would want to help?” It’s said eagerly. It would make the most sense, after all. They didn’t need to sleep or drink, normal exhaustion didn’t hit them.

Maybe we can pick… A couple of rooms and all work together and make it nice.” There’s an eager edge in the grin they shoot Bastien’s way, a hopeful childish ignorance hidden in their honeyed gaze.
mind over matter
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Liking Azrael's confidence, Bastien grinned; while it had the possibility to turn into cockiness, he supposed he'd have to see what it was Azrael could actually do first...that, and Bastien was the last person to tell someone else off for being cocky. "I'm sure you can, tesoro. If you come up with the right plan and take it bit by bit." He knew that when he had been young he had struggled with trying to take on everything of a project at once, usually resulting in him being burnt out and defeated before he'd actually begun on any of it.

"Ooh - if you present it to them correctly, perhaps. Tell me how you'd ask them to help." He nodded along with what they said next but with an idea in mind, sat crossed legged on the floor before them. "I want you to pretend I'm Aunty Wessex--" Bastien put on a strict face and adopted a tough, straight posture. "Or maybe Amun, or Samuel, or Neron. How would you convince me?" For each name there was, of course, an appropriate mime.
Fade to the close-up
Base Code by Sky!
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

I can, papa!” They begin to protest, before they suddenly deflate, realizing that their father hadn’t exactly been poised to tell them it was a terrible idea or not accomplishable. That in and of itself grasps their attention, pausing in their exploration to turn back toward their father. His words register in their mind and a grin spreads across their face when Bastien sits down cross legged in front of them.

They ponder it for a few moments, half formed thoughts coming to mind before they laugh quietly to themselves. “I think… I’ll need to write it out before so it sounds nice.” A bit of a stumble there, but their hands clasp together regardless and they try. “Auntie Wessex… I know you want to make the Grounds a nice place. And I think we can! If we… If we make this place look nice too.” They pause, flashing a winning, childish grin – the kind that’s paired with those kid-like puppy dog eyes.

I don’t… I don’t really remember Amun or Samuel or Neron all that much.” Here their smile deflates a bit, before they’re surging forward to climb in their father’s lap and wrap their arms around his middle, pressing their face into his chest. “I’d try to convince you by telling you that you could make it really pretty because I know you can.
mind over matter
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien nodded as Azrael said they'd have to write it. More preparation than he'd put into it, Bastien much preferring to speak off the cuff, but perhaps a more methodological approach was better for his engineer child. They began to speak and he listened intently, always sure to give them his full attention and encouragement where he could. "Why do you think making this place nice would help the Grounds?" He asked, hoping to prod them into more explanation.

"Well, they aren't very memorable." He laughed, speaking of their Ascended family; maybe that was or wasn't true, but it made sense Azrael only knew of Wessex, who visited their home. Shifting as Azrael came to climb into his lap, Bastien stroked their hair and grinned wide, leaning down then to hug them tight. "Well, that's very kind. Hopefully they'd agree."
Fade to the close-up
Base Code by Sky!
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

Because… Because if we make it look nice, then maybe people will want to visit! And if more people visit then maybe more people will want to stay with us?” They say, head tilting slightly as it leaves their mouth, uncertain whether or not it made any sense. Which was likely why they’d need to write down their ideas, to mull over it, to formulate the best sense of how they can go about creating a compelling argument for rebuilding the ruins.

Because of course they’d heard the whispers through the streets – that people were leaving for better places, and this was all Azrael had ever known. It was home, and they want it to be home for others too.

But then  they’re explaining their reasoning to their father, a mock-up so to speak, before crawling into their father’s lap and hugging him tight around the middle. Their head rests in Bastien’s chest, a smile spreading across their face. “I think they might.” Of course, Azrael did catch some of their mother’s optimism, the inability to see how poorly things could go.
mind over matter
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Very good!" Bastien nodded with a grin, pleased with that answer; if Azrael continued along this kind of thinking, they would make for a very fine heir to his artistic empire one day indeed. Not that Bastien had plans of dying any time soon, but he wanted to know that what he had begun in the Grounds wouldn't fade away - Caido desperately needed his touch of joy and art.

He smiled at their positive words, indeed reminded of his wife in that moment, and held them close again, closing his eyes and hoping that if Rexanna was looking down, she'd be happy with how he was doing, how they were doing. "Alright. Let's head back, and when we're home I will get you some paper and pencils, and you can begin your plans. Pittore can help you choose colours, too."

Maybe soon they'd see the ruins transformed - Bastien had every faith Azrael could do it.

{FIN}
Fade to the close-up
Base Code by Sky!