Training (open) got the know how to stay alive
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you wouldn't even recognize me anymore
not that you knew me back then
It’s not time to go home yet; she has to see Sunjata. Has to find him. Has to talk about Loren when all she would rather do is rest. So maybe she will, right here in the sand. There’s plenty of time before the sun comes up - except - excepppppt - the sun is safe now? Hot (no, not anymore) but safe. It’s the heat inside her that burns and makes her body warm to the touch, not her sensors picking up physical sensations. Even Eirachi only tempers it now, keeps it manageable or so an onlooker might assume if they knew and could compare the Ascended.

She finds a couple of larger rocks and nestles herself up behind one, back to the sea and face to the rest of Torchline. Anywhere is comfortable if you’re tired enough. Or if you’ve forgotten what it’s like to need to be comfortable. Here in the sand is just fine. All she needs is a little bit of time to close her eyes before she goes and finds Sunjata. And Loki is somewhere… surely she’ll keep watch.

Too bad Sunjata isn't in Torchline right now.
but it all comes back to me in the end
WESSEX
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MILO
i have seen what the darkness does
say goodbye to who i was
Things had been strange ever since Sam’s departure. Work had been slow, a lull period of sorts, and he hasn’t seen Zeph around in what seemed like a while, likely wrapped up with the woman that lived in the Governor’s house. But that was fine, he just continued to work, continued to have little projects that could keep his mind away from everything else.

His mind has drifted away from him as he roams the beach, scanning it as if he might find something but not quite seeing what he’s looking at. It all looks the same, all normal, until it isn’t. Milo stops abruptly, sand drifting up from his feet as he stands still, peering at the woman with her back to the rock. His head tilts as he focuses on her, expecting her to do something. He doesn’t recognize her.

That’s fine. “Aye, ya good?” He calls out to her, giving her a brief wave, finally letting his limbs become looser that he might step toward her and crouch before her as he scans her.
i ain't ever been away so long
don't look back, those days are gone
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
It’s not a Kydd that crouches before her, it’s someone else (not that she knows him anyway), something else, some fire-ringed creature from the Climb. Her eyes are barely open, the vision seeping in through slits and haywire systems to a not-right brain. An animal brain. A reactionary brain.

And in this moment she’s very aware that the thing seems to be in the position of power, so best to just play dead. Everything in her freezes, if it wasn’t in motion before. Except for their shadows, which are cast behind them with the sun to her own back and the monster’s front. Those are active and hopefully far enough behind the monster that he doesn’t see it. At her beck and call, the shadows rise up behind the man and then simultaneously try to knock his ankles forward and pull him backwards. Get it prone on the ground, then go from there.

It’s a strategy that’s worked before, no reason why it shouldn’t work now.
WESSEX
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MILO
say goodbye to who i was
She grows incredibly still. So still in fact that Milo’s brows are furrowing, a brief bit of panic overcoming him, reminded of Sam when he’d found the Ascended washed up on the beach and had thought he was dead. It takes all his focus, deciding whether or not to reach out to try and help the woman, that he doesn’t notice the shadows as they work, too distracted.

So it works, shadows latching onto his ankles, him falling forward a bit while it drags him back and he shuffles to try and get out of it, not knowing what had happened. But he kicks at the shadow, fingers digging into the sand to try and stop the dragging, one hand reaching out to try and grab part of the rock Wessex leans against.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
The shadows aren’t as strong as a person and are kicked off, the first disappearing to attack back to Milo and the second coming back to the Wraith. If that gives the boy some respite, then so be it, but the next attack comes from the front. Wessex is grabbing for his hair, trying to finally, finally touch the flames with quick, nimble hands - but when she comes up empty, that frustration turns to rage.

What kind of creature is this? Who dares to deny her?

She launches herself (not very effectively) from her seated position at the Torcher, grabbing and scrambling and generally a bit more uncoordinated than she usually is - but it’s all hands and strength right now, all her other weapons sheathed.
WESSEX
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
say goodbye to who i was
This goes wrong very quickly. Milo hits the ground hard as he kicks the shadows from him, one merging back into Wessex and he doesn’t know where the other one goes. But her hands reach for him and he’s shrugging out of her reach, at least at first. “Stop! Chill the-ah! What the fuck?” Comes the hissed question, letting go of the rock once he finally gets his knees under him.

And then she’s grabbing and scrambling for him from her position, Milo attempting to fall backward and evade the hands that reach for him. He’s not successful, not fully anyway, pushing himself off of the sand with his feet to push himself backwards from her, her hand latches onto his arm. And in a moment of panic, he summons a Hel to hopefully distract Wessex, aiming it for her hair or her face, whichever would break her attention faster.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“Just let me - touch -” she growls at the creature, half a season of restraint hitting hard on her frustrations and exhaustion. She’s been so good, her systems all in check, and she’s so godsdamned tired of holding back. Just a little touch. Just a little. Why can't she ever get one thing she wants?

She’s so close, so close, to touching the fire-crown; Wessex has it by the arm and is reaching again for its head when a Hel comes and begins pecking at her own head. Of course, she has to shoo it away, but she forgets that it’s crucial to retain a hold on the creature, so she shoos the Hel away with the wrong hand, giving it time to get away. Meanwhile, the Wraith has unsheathed the talons one the shooing hand and is half-swiping, half-poking it away.
WESSEX
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
say goodbye to who i was
Touch what?” He hisses instead, suddenly finding himself held by her with one hand, struggling against the ridiculous grip she has. It tugs him back, the force of her pull, until he’s nearly in her reach again, that other hand hovering by his head in such a way that Milo begins to wonder if she might be trying to break his neck.

So he summons the hel, guides it toward her face, watches for a split second while it tangles in her hair and she releases him to get the bird away. And he doubles down, letting the Hel continue its onslaught, watching as a talon appears and shreds some of the feathers on the Hel. But the bird doesn’t react as a normal bird would — this one feels no pain or fear. This one simply continues its attempts of tangling itself into the blonde woman’s hair, shrieking and flailing its wings. And Milo, Milo tries to slide out of the way on the sand, trying to get some amount of distance between the two of them.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
This Hel is not deterred by her talons, and it does something to the Wraith; it makes her switch tactics. She has something that will definitely bring a Hel down (she knows because it’s done it before). Still focused on the damn bird, Wessex lets a biopulse loose - and if that happens to hit Milo, welllll then all the better for her once she’s sure she’s affected the stupid flying rat.

Whirling back on the original object of her fixation, the fire hair, Wessex once again scrambles forward like some crazed sea-witch ready to take her prince down to a watery depth. Sheathing her talons, she’ll try to ascertain if he’s been hit by her biopulse - if he has, she’ll just try to ride the effects and get close enough to touch his hair. If he hasn’t already been hit, she’ll throw one of those out while still more or less doing the same thing as before - trying to touch the flames.
WESSEX
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
say goodbye to who i was
He manages to scoot back in the beach just enough to try and toss some of the sand back at her when the biopulse hits – it takes the Hel down and Milo only has a split second to watch as the creature sinks to the sand and disappears as it hits him too – a gasp leaving him, both hands falling to the sand, mouth instantly dry and his heartbeat thundering in his chest – and if he didn’t already think he was warm, well, he feels like he’s on fire now.

He can’t even get his words to fall into order to say anything, mouth parched, eyes squeezed shut, frozen on the ground. And as she tries to reach out to touch his hair, she’ll find herself successful – Milo unable to do much more than try not to retch all over the sand.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Finally, she crows to herself as the creature gasps and then goes still - open to all sorts of uninterrupted fondling. Wessex hauls herself forward, practically into his lap, and then reaches comfortably for his hair, expecting heat and warmth and everything she could possible want right now. But alas, the woman is forever disappointed. Even when the fire is within her grasp, even when it should be hers for the taking, her hands likely come up with just… hair.

Bright orange hair. The illusion fades and she is left tugging on the kid’s luscious locks in confusion, her hands making a motion similar to how one might milk a cow. Except in this case, nothing comes out.

Her face falls. She is not only distraught, but the slow realization of what she’s actually been doing begins to surface. She removes her hands and slowly brings them back, staring at them as if they are the problem. “No fire?” she asks the fingers, forgetting she’s more or less in the Milo’s lap. “No fire…” she concludes sadly, before gazing out to the ocean.

Ugh. Water. Yuck.
WESSEX
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
say goodbye to who i was
She latches on and shifts him, nausea roiling within him as the biopulse effects vibrate through his system. Eventually, however, he finds himself sitting in the sand, gasping down breaths of fresh air, her hands running through his hair, his honeyed gaze unfocused and confused when he finally looks back at her, swallowing down hard. She tugs his hair, his head jerking this way and that while it throbs with the start of a headache.

She’s in his lap now, he doesn’t know how she’s gotten there. He doesn’t know who she is. When he finally comes about his senses, he watches as she pulls her hands back and peers at them, words leaving her that make absolutely no sense, before looking off into the water. “Wha… Who are you?” He manages, throat sore, unable to speak louder than a whisper for fear of the nausea returning. “What’d you do t’me?'Why do I feel like such shit all of a sudden?'
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
“ ‘M Wessex.” wide, light blue eyes stare at the kydd, the very picture of someone stumbling around with dementia. And in a way, she is, isn’t she? “I’m sorry,” she adds quietly, feeling like whatever she’s just done must be wrong if he’s looking at her like that. “I just wanted to touch the fire.” Patting her own head to illustrate what she means, she can clearly see now that there are no flames on his head,

What she did, though? Well, who knows, really? Where can she begin, and better yet, can she articulate it? The demigod’s mouth open and closes like a fish a couple of times before she shrugs and looks down again. “Really. Sorry. I’ll fix it if I see you later.”

But later is not now. Now she can’t do much of anything. And the worst part is that she knows it, which… prompts her to just disappear, leaving the Torcher there by himself again. Perhaps as if he’d dreamed the whole thing and is just terribly hungover now.

{Fin}
WESSEX