the days quickly pass
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Sam
I am this great, unstable mass of blood and foam
And no one in his right mind would make my home his home
Sam had begun to found that in the morning, just before the sun rose, the chilly and clear costal air helped to clear his mind. The sickness had almost become the new normal, the days spreading out before him with certainty that they would be just as lost, foggy and difficult to understand, his thirst growing more with each passing night and his desire to run into the sea yet also shy away from it blooming, the contradiction mattering less and less as time went on.

Of course, he was also deaf; the roar of the sea was missing, the crash of waves on the shore, the birds above. All gone, replaced with a complete silence. Was it permanent? He didn't know, but he'd taken to carrying the Never Notebook with him and the Self-writing Quill, so he could quickly get his thoughts down and shared. Often they were disjointed, badly spelt and unfinished, but that was the case for the ones in his head too.

There were good and bad days, though: some days he could feel almost normal, only tired and unable to complete difficult tasks (he had not made a single map since the illness had begun), but some days he could struggle to get out of bed, his thoughts so muddled and fear so overwhelming he couldn't make his limbs move. For the moment, it was a good day, and the walk was helping him to feel like he might even have some hope of getting better.

----- Some time later -----

He was stumbling in no direction in particular, blood lining his front and dripping off his chin, a dazed look in his eyes. The drink had put him into a stupor, thirst satisfied but all other senses dulled, the beach like a grey fog; he had not thought to hide James' body, which would be easy to find at the end of the bloody trail dripping from his feet.
When I try to open up to you I get completely lost
Houses swallowed by the earth, windows thick with frost
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
Amalia smells the blood before she sees it, tangy and acrid on the breeze and setting her predator's senses alight. Fangs flicker beneath her lips, her nostrils flaring as she takes in the scent, alarm bells ringing immediately as she changes in her course. Walking first, then swiftly running, panic making her heart pound. She thinks of the things she might find, and how she will deal with them.

None of it prepares her for the scene that actually unfolds.

The sand, a trail of dark and rusty red scorched through it like a wound. The body, or its feet rather, the rest of it obscured and hazy in the distance, obviously there and obviously dead. And the man, his back to her as he stumbles through the sand, his familiar shock of red hair pale next to the violent scarlet of blood that coats his hands and feet, condemning him without any need for jury or for judge.

Amalia finds that she is shaking like a leaf in a storm. Her hand is on her mouth; her eyes are wide; her voice is a high-pitched, strangled thing. "Sam," she croaks through the fog of uncertainty, through the prayers that this is all a nightmare from which she will soon wake, through her brain's inability to make sense of what is so painfully clear. "What have you done?"
she's just like the weather
can't hold her together
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Sam
A figure appeared in the distance, then she was right there (or had she always been close? It was hard for Sam to know); he stopped, squinting ahead with thoughts taking their time to connect. When he realised it was Amalia, he oddly was not too panicked; the shock was still searing through him, and all he could think was a very calm 'I'll need to get away from her'. Within himself he could feel James' abilities, as they were; hopefully he could use them.

"...It's not...what it looks like." He responded, more trying to think of what someone in his situation might say than speaking anything he really meant. "I'm...I can't keep my head straight, and I went to check on him...he's really hurt, Amalia. He probably needs some help, but um...I'm not...well enough to...can you go see?"

Maybe, somehow, despite the blood obviously dripping from his mouth, she'd believe that he was merely an innocent bystander that had tried to help. If Amalia went to go see, Sam would immediately begin his getaway, moving to the treeline and shifting into a snake, hoping to slither away to the portal before she could be sure of his guilt.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the shield of safrin
"It looks like you killed someone." Her voice is high and tight, strangled in her throat as she stares at Sam, trying not to believe what she's seen. The blood on his shirt that is clearly not his, because it is blood, red and stark in the setting sun. But if he isn't dead...? Her eyes flicker back to the body, another shiver going up her spine.

How could he?

How could he?

All at once a breeze picks up, lashing out with her as its epicenter. It washes soothingly over James, doing nothing for the corpse, and shoves Sam back. Anger ripples across her features, over the disbelief and pain; she surges forward, reaching for the Ascended, blind in her fury and shock.
she's just like the weather
can't hold her together
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam
Sam said nothing to Amalia's (accurate) accusation, barely unable to think the words himself. He had said all he could say; all that was left to do was to sneak off into the dark like the criminal he now was: fitting he was a snake. Trying his best to ignore any noise or force Amalia made and to focus on his speed and direction, he tried aggressively to fight off any thoughts of distress or remorse: those would come later, but now was not the time.

Finally he made it to the portal and wasted no time leaping through, only changing back to a human form as he was in the space between, immediately going to the Grounds; there he knew the layout, knew where to hide if she pursued further. Sam had hoped he was out of the Grounds forever, but running back past the Spire, back to the Woodlands where his Goddess was waiting...it felt safer than Torchline, where he had suddenly gained many enemies.

{FIN}