{open} a nice warm drink
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper's mouth quirked in a little mirthless smile at Deimos' answer: she felt relieved, then uncertain as she remembered that he was not Fae -- he could lie. Such a strange concept to her. Maybe that, above all else, was why her people mistrusted outsiders. How could you place your faith in someone whose words could be simply untrue? Who could say whatever they wanted, whatever suited them, without penalty?

She wouldn't openly accuse him of lying, of course; she just had to keep the possibility in the back of her mind, to take what he said with a grain of salt. "How did you -- and the other Grounders -- receive Delah's words? Another woman became queen, didn't she? Or do I have my history wrong?"

A rueful smile and a nod, at Deimos' observation. Juniper had some ideas about what the Greatwood could offer, but she wasn't sure she wished to share them with Deimos. She didn't know of his current position in Halo's government, didn't know that her words might reach the Warden, might become policy. "I don't expect anyone to agree to an alliance that isn't mutually beneficial."
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Online
Change author:
MP: 9824
DEIMOS
Heave the silver hollow sliver
To be suspicious of others was par for the course; history hadn’t been kind to many in these worlds. Underestimating another could be dangerous, treacherous, and though Deimos had taken upon many vows and assurances, promises and oaths, they were inclined towards his family, his friends, his loved ones, and the land he’d chosen to protect. The same could be said for hordes, for multitudes, for many in these miniscule waves, bound to become torrents and tempests, unwinding in all directions. A seething maelstrom, a brimming, brewing bedlam, set to boil over at some point. When and where and how was the question, and who would be in the midst and thick of it.

But he could detail and outline for her, head inclined towards the floor, eyes searching the wooden boards, while his mind relayed the scenes and pictures, the instances of life that had been less painful. “Yes. Rexanna became Queen. And while she was another Ascended, she also ensured Delah’s words were followed.” No festivals of light held in the Greatwoods’ quarters for those who’d chosen the Voice. From what he recalled, they celebrated in their own way, amidst their race. The world hadn’t seemed so disastrous then. But maybe he was biased too.

And then he’d –

He clenched his fist to cease and stop the thought from going any further. She hadn’t blamed him in his dreams, but they’d been his figments after all, and it could’ve been a chance, an opportunity, for his mind to alleviate the deep well of pain.

His fingers flattened back out and grabbed hold of the resin, taking an opportunity to swallow and stifle it all back down. “Wise,” he murmured after a second, lungs no longer tight in his chest. “Will you bring your cause to the Warden?”
Unite and spread the heart apart
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper considered Deimos' answer, unsure what to make of it -- unsure what it told her about Wesex, not to mention Rexanna. She knew that not all Ascended could be heartless monsters; in fact, she suspected that even Wessex was more complex than that. Part of her wanted to believe that not all the Ascended were her enemies, that common ground was possible; another piece warned that her task would be easier if she didn't sympathize with them. Most of her people would not, and she could not afford for such sympathies to set her apart. (Perhaps she would have felt differently if she'd known Rexanna had also entered the Greatwood on the day of the Mathair's destruction, but Juniper's intelligence remained vague.)

But what to say in response? "I know I'll have to speak to Wessex at some point, if the Fae are to reach out to all our neighbors. I don't suppose you'd have any advice?"

After all, Deimos must know Wessex well; Juniper could imagine that he might have some insight into how to approach her. The question was whether he'd share it.

"Yes," she added. "I'll speak with the Warden soon."

table by Skylark
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
DEIMOS
Part of the problem could be that people, no matter the race, altered, changed, and committed to other facets. They grew, they diminished, they eroded, they rose, back and forth, over and over again, as time and experiences carved new facets. While the Sword would’ve longed to be some stagnant, unreachable heathen, he’d been re-sculpted anew as well – from learning, from sagacity, from powers, from convictions, from oaths he knew he would instill, to being incapable of forbearing the onslaught of trauma. There were some moments he could withstand, and others where he saw the crumbling taking place, could feel it in the pit of his bones. It occurred from Fae, to Ascended, to Abandoned, and everyone else in between. Humans, moralities, ethics, and all those other fibers wound themselves tight within minds and membranes; re-honed too, when they were forced to abide or comprehend another dose of bedlam.

That the Fae would have to reach out to Wessex would be another potential trial, and he winced in sympathy, a little wrinkle to his nose, some boyish, juvenile angle amidst the modicum of warrior prowess, for an instant at impending conversations. “Do not start with accusations.” It would only put the Wraith immediately on the defensive, and Deimos wasn’t certain of how much or many powers the Ascended had contained within her now – but based on Jigano’s experiences, they were potent. Memories of meetings, where Delah flared her truths, had been lethal; but their leader had been strong. He wasn't certain where the Fae sovereignties lay now. “I believe she would appreciate facts. You will already know the perspective she hails from.” The Voice, paramount, first and foremost – which could set them all on edge right from the beginning. Differing, alternating, outlooks and viewpoints, centered around gods never seemed like a grand notion. A head tilt, and his fingers drummed on the surface of his glass. “Be ready with a clear outline of your intentions.” Would it be peace? A truce? A binding contract of no intrusions? To be left alone? Or something else, damned and doomed to be undermined by either side?
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper couldn't help smiling at Deimos' expression: yes, then he understood exactly what she anticipated from a meeting with Wessex. His advice was good too -- not necessarily what Juniper wanted to hear, but that made it useful.

"I suppose accusations would be pointless," Juniper said, taking a careful sip of her drink. "We all know what she's done. What matters is what we're going to do about it now."

And Juniper had some ideas about that -- ideas that Wessex wouldn't like, she knew, but ... that might appeal to the Wraith more than an endless simmering conflict with the Fae. Especially if Wessex valued her people's safety over her own.

Should Juniper share her thoughts with Deimos? Well, she had told Amalia -- Amalia had helped shape the idea, in fact. So there wasn't really any reason to hold back before another stranger. "I would like to see those who attacked the Mathair face consequences for their actions -- for the Fae they murdered, the goddess they destroyed. It would show everyone, Fae and outsider alike, that we cannot simply come onto each other's sacred grounds and slaughter each other. Justice, not vengeance."

table by Skylark
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Actions committed, the playing field resolutely known from opposing ends – no semblance, no sense in bombarding instantly in fire and vitriol, vehemence and violence. Either way drawn would end poorly, and though Deimos was the exact individual who would’ve regarded such moments as ritual, routine from days of leading, he also understood the value of other tactics. Heading straight into melees when there were a range of possibilities available was foolish, tantamount to impulsivity, stupidity, and foolish notions. They could lose anything, everything, they’d managed to gain. The monolith placed the papers he’d been holding back into his pockets, attention back to the current, present matters; eyes lifting back to the Fae.

And what were they going to do? Curiosity compelled: ceasefires, truces? An armistice amidst the thresholds? Or something bigger, far more potent, with their need for allies? An even playing field? Factors upon factors, figments upon figments, a conversation between Ascended and Fae would be a challenging faculty on mere outlines alone. Maybe something beneficial, advantageous, would come of it. Maybe something far more feral would rear its fanged horizons.

Then there were the words: consequences for actions, for assaulting the Mathair, for the Fae desecrated, for the goddess ruined, marred, shattered. Understandable, the need for justice, the yearning for semblances of retribution. The Aurora Basin had thrived on it; spiraled and exalted in their revenge – even if her proclamations insisted that it wasn’t vengeance. A dangerous cycle, regardless; he tilted his head, narrowed his eyes, focused on the other parameters. “Reasonable.” A pause again, considerations, of days past and individuals lost. “Are you aware of the other Ascended involved?” Names? Faces? He couldn’t fathom Wessex giving up the titles of her kin.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"Not personally, but I know there are those among my people who could name them," Juniper said. She remained unaware of most of Deimos' thoughts, though her own traced some similar lines. How would her little initiative end up? Her hope was that bringing the Ascended who had attacked them to justice would pave the path for peace between the Fae and the other lands, especially their neighbor, the Hollowed Grounds. It certainly didn't sit well with the Fae that their chief assailant was once again queen. But even if Wessex and her kin could be brought to trial, would the Fae accept any result short of fiery vengeance? And then there were the Ascended to worry about.

At least, Juniper thought somewhat ruefully, tensions could hardly be higher. (If only she'd known -- the seed her notice board post had planted in Wessex's sick mind, and the history it had rooted itself in.) "I know Fae who were there that day. I can get a list, of descriptions if not of names."

table by Skylark
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
More unknown faces of the Fae to give and grant an image, a notion, of fellow perpetrators. The forest seemingly had more eyes than they’d likely ever know; clever, understanding the perplexities of their own home, and how to use them to their advantage. Outsiders, of which all of them were, no matter how they’d been dropped upon this earth by the Voice, or whether they’d been born and raised within another sanction, none of them would hold the ability of such a connection with the Greatwood. Guilty parties might very well be titled, heralded, and given new upheavals. But then what? How would they be held responsible? “What are your intended consequences?” Curiosity for curiosity’s sake, another swallow of his beer, pondering how any of the Fae would manage to snag at the unrepentant, and then seek out punishments and penalties. Perhaps it was none of his business. Perhaps it was just his background in plunging through ministrations and orchestrations; Halo was not under duress here, and he knew that.

Except if Juniper happened to seek out Morgan, and instill the same possibilities. A shrug nearly undulated through his shoulders, but then he stilled, another series of schemes curling their way through his skull.

The Ascended couldn’t be the only one who were errant; and the spinning, Machiavellian mind presided quietly, forming more coiled thoughts, more embroiled endeavors, more outlines he’d been granted. Whether it’d been in the sake of justice, vengeance, revenge, sedition, however they intended to proclaim and name it, some damage had been done. While the Sword had his suspicions, nothing had ever been truly confirmed. The words rumbled again, but there were no figments of accusations. Quiet. Composed. Enigmatic. A neutral disposition. “Do you have any knowledge of the Ascended body parts that were dropped in various lands?”
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
That was a very good question, one Juniper couldn't immediately answer. She took a longer sip of her drink; she was getting used to the taste now, learning to tolerate it, though she wouldn't say she liked it. Then she decided to be frank -- beyond the simple honesty that her Fae nature demanded. "I haven't thought that far ahead. I imagine their punishment would need to be negotiated between our peoples, with the help of neutral parties, so that we were all satisfied that justice had been done -- or at least found a compromise we could live with."

Perhaps it was naive of Juniper to believe that such a compromise even existed. After all, plenty of Fae would not be happy with anything less than the Ascended's lifeblood (or life-fluid). And she doubted the Ascended would be glad to submit to any punishment. But she had to believe there was some way forward short of slaughtering each other, or why had she even bothered to leave the Greatwood?

Although ... if it did come to open slaughter, the Fae's survival might depend on having Halo or Torchline, or both, in their corner.

And Juniper did hold back one thought: that she did believe, personally, that the Ascended who had attacked the Mathair deserved death. She doubted they would take that punishment, doubted the other lands would agree to impose it -- and if she wanted the Fae to accept a lesser punishment, she had to start by doing so herself.

At Deimos' words, Juniper nodded solemnly. "I have heard that news, and I was told that a Fae was the culprit -- and that the Ascended in question had nothing to do with the attack on the Mathair. If that is true -- and I have no particular reason to doubt it, but would require clearer evidence to take severe action -- then the Fae involved should be held responsible for their actions when the Ascended are. Wholesale slaughter is unacceptable on either side."

table by Skylark
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
These were the considerations and portions he hadn’t missed in dealing with diplomacy, in political refrains. The Reaper had been far more skilled in the art of battle, a favored pastime in vengeance, and upholding the values of the Basin. Eyes for eyes, teeth for teeth, grudges for grudges, long-standing bitterness for established rancor; a brow beating back and forth until someone or something eventually gave. There’d been a time when he’d detailed alliances, ceasefires, and truces, but only after they’d attempted other options (blood soaked ire, a blade to occupy wrath, abhorrence, and belligerence). The Sword had learned, had been given time to acclimate, to find that not every matter had to be instituted into a skirmish, a feud, or end in extended acrimony (though he might be lying if he said he didn’t miss some of those aspects). This world wasn’t like Helovia, and they didn’t launch into immediate wars, invasions, or crusades. They bided. They waited. And so he did the same – a hovering predator on the edges, perimeters, fringes, and boundaries. “Fair.” Considerations from too many sides might not grant the Fae exactly what they craved, wanted, or yearned for; something could slip by, out, gone in the modicums of statesmanship. But perhaps they’d gain some other contortions. It would all remain to be seen.

He didn’t ask if it would come to violence. The foreboding on the horizon, for so many damned things, was enough. It already had moments and cycles before.

The other speculations bore concentration on his Machiavellian prowess, swiftly turning his piercing gaze upon her as she sought ways to answer his inquiry. Sunjata had been correct in his speculations then – a Fae had dispatched and delivered the carcass remnants – though that it had naught to do with the Mathair, or anything in particular was interesting. Just cold-hearted revenge. An opportunity emboldened, taken, and audaciously thrown to all the other wolves. But the Fae would also punish their own, and so he arched a brow, the lines of justice not forgotten in their realms, to their kin either. The beast could only grant another nod in this instance, for he’d questioned and inquired wholeheartedly, and Juniper had given reasonable responses. Whether or not anything would come of them would be a future enterprise.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper's mouth quirked in a rather ironic smile. "I'm glad you think so." Her tone might sound a bit sardonic, but it was true -- after all, she couldn't lie. If Deimos thought a negotiated compromise would work, or would at least be a possibility, then perhaps others would accept it too. Though she still feared it wouldn't be enough to appease the angry Fae -- and yet too much for the Ascended to submit to.

She waited for him to speak further, but when he only nodded, she started to gather her things a bit. They had had a good conversation, one that had left her with some things to think about -- advice given, ideas exchanged -- but she saw no need to draw it out if Deimos wasn't feeling chatty anymore. No other questions hovered on her mind either, and she had consumed as much of her drink as she intended to.

"It was good to speak to you," she said. "Thank you for the advice -- I hope I can make good use of it."

She waited a moment to see if he had any last words for her, any pleasantries to exchange, before starting out the door and back to the portal.

table by Skylark
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
A compromise would be a place to start; tactical arrangements rather than escalating immediately to full-blown warfare, trials, or any other incriminations that would spark bloodshed. The Fae would be able to see where to go from there, once drafted, once exalted, once held before other kingdoms and political figures. With all of those things in mind, it was likely their conversation would wane, he’d certainly discussed far more here than anywhere else lately – and she’d need to begin her efforts for change, alterations, and what was damned or due to come. It was in the air, drifting and clambering, either to be suffocated or expelled, smothered, stifled, kindled, or incited. “It was good to hear your insights as well.” Especially if Halo, or Morgan’s decisions, amounted to involvement in upcoming frays, defenses, or measures. Then he wouldn’t be able to stay out of it. "May you find your means of justice.” And then he swallowed down the remaining portions of his own drink, a nod of his head as she began to depart.

{FIN}