under this canopy, defusing anything dangerous
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
A leader cannot lead with just a single counselor.

Ok, well, she could, but she also knows it would be better if she has more than one voice at the table. Different voices. Massively different voices. Wessex may not like it, but in the days following the cure, she came to the conclusion that at this point in time there is something that Bastien can do for the Grounds and the family, and more importantly - that it’s time for him to step up.

Rather, that she will likely have to persuade him to step up.

Ten prepared arguments lay on the tip of her tongue as she knocks on Bastien’s door; the action is oddly reminiscent of when she came to see Rex and him after she’d had her second Ascension. Only there will be no Rex inside today, only a child. No, not only a child. A beautiful combination of the two of them. One that gives her a little bit of hope and like many of their youngest kin, a desire to protect.

Which is, in part, why Wessex is here, doing her best to look as pleasant as she can.
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
BASTIEN
I'm feeling devious
You're looking glamorous
Bastien was enjoying his newly cured life very much; with his mind cleared he had managed to clean the Sanctuary, though he found he didn't actually mind the splatters of paint from his more deranged moments across the floor and walls. He'd been happy to have Azrael back home, able to look after his child again and chat to them about everything and anything.

The only downside had been the oddly fresh knowledge of Rexanna's death. The portrait by the door was a grim reminder of what he had lost, that he had briefly regained in his hallucinations.

He had turned to what he always did for distraction: the comfort of art. With Azrael upstairs taking a nap (Ascended didn't need to sleep, but he thought it was good to teach his child the benefit of down-time), he leaned in close to the centre of a large canvas, making small concentric circles that bloomed out from it in cool colours. The knock at the door made him look up halfway through one and he walked to the entrance backwards still looking at his piece, considering the interrupted shape.

Opening the door to see Wessex he smiled and gestured for her to come in, swiftly walking back to his canvas himself. "Ah, the Queen herself! An honour. I assume you have not come to paint flowers."
Let's get mischievous
and polyamorous
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
Wessex painting flowers? The idea makes her chuckle. “I’ve done it before, but my efforts might offend Caido’s greatest artist.” Ducking inside with a thankful tuck of her head, she spies the news painting of Rexanna first - the one that sits by the door. She stills and pauses, the chuckle quickly dying out, though it’s not replaced by melancholy. “I like that one,” she says to Bastien as she turns back and heads further into the house - a semi-familiar place - but she pauses before making herself at home.

“How are you?” the Wraith asks politely, inquiring mostly about his post-illness state of being. “And how’s Azrael?” As far as she knows, the child hadn’t been sick but that doesn’t account for the myriad of other concerns one might have when the parent is deliriously ill.

It’s one of the few reasons she won’t ever ask for a child; her life is too dangerous, too bold, too reckless. It would be unfair to raise a child in that kind of environment, or expose it to anyone who might use it against her. But she wouldn’t mind playing Aunt every once in a while.
No, I’ll be the stone
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
I'm feeling devious
You're looking glamorous
"Oh, surely you know me well enough by now that you know no ones efforts could offend me." Bastien had always made it a point of pride to find something good to say about anybody's work, to appreciate the beauty in even the simplest, most crudely drawn pieces. One could hardly support everyone to make art unless one accepted all skill levels.

He glanced up to the painting of Rex that greeted visitors and smiled. "Thank you. I wanted Azrael to grow up with her presence still in the house, somehow." This way every morning their child saw their mother, even if it could not be in the flesh.

As for how he was; Bastien went to wash one of his brushes, tilted his head side to side as he scrubbed it in the solution. "It is...fading. I still feel odd sometimes, but The Voice truly did work one of her miracles. Azrael is well; growing far too fast. I knew they would, but...ah, I am trying to enjoy their curious phase while it lasts. I'm sure soon they won't want to hear anything from dad for quite some time." He himself had been a rebellious teen (hell, he'd moved to a whole other country just to piss off his dad) and could see it being a likely future for Az too.

"How are you recovering?" He asked politely, looking back to her.
Let's get mischievous
and polyamorous
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
At this point, let’s just assume that Wessex only peripherally knows how baby demigods grow and that when Bastien says ‘he’s growing so fast,’ she thinks it’s… not quite as fast as it is. Or something like that. Either way, she nods along and is genuinely interested in the child’s progress, but has nothing concrete to add to a child-rearing conversation. “Maybe they’ll surprise you. I would have killed for a father, even as a teenager.” At least she knows that single parenting is hard. “I’m sure you have endless offers, but if you need anything -” he knows her door is open.

And as the Queen herself? “I’m fine. Fairly quick recovery, which I’m thankful for - turns out there’s a lot to do when you - somehow - become Queen again.” That whole thing is a little fuzzy, actually. There are flashes of a speech, Oliver, a crowd, and then the knowledge that she’s Queen. Again. The motive behind that move is even fuzzier, but perhaps this will be a good thing.

“Which leads me to why I’m here.” Looking at Bastien, she does her best to be both honest and frank about everything. “I need a council. Amun has already said yes, but I’m aware that I need a range of voices. And the two of us... are very different people.”
No, I’ll be the stone
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
I'm feeling devious
You're looking glamorous
"Maybe so. I would like to think as parents go I am rather lax, after all." Bastien said with a smile; any child of his was unlikely to get into trouble for drugs, partying or sex, as long as it was at the right age and with full knowledge of the consequences. Though of course, with Azrael being Ascended, they were not quite as pressing concerns. At Wessex's offer of help he smiled and nodded. "Oh, I do. It's been useful, especially when I was ill...but I will keep it in mind. Thank you."

He laughed as she mentioned having a lot to do. "You say suddenly, but you did offer yourself for the role...and between you and I, there was no competition." Bastien whispered the last part, some mischief in his eyes. He had no issues with Oliver, the kid a part of his own guild, but he struggled with seeing the self-doubting man in a leadership role

Bastien had assumed she was there for a social call or to ask for a favour, maybe to reminisce about Rexanna; when Wessex began to speak about the council he frowned, clearly confused. "You would like me to help you think of candidates..? You of course cannot mean I join the council; you know I am not one for authority or government, especially not being in it."
Let's get mischievous
and polyamorous
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
“Mmmm, the how and why of that is still a little fuzzy, but there’s a plan taking shape and it seems like this could be a good thing.” Now that the world is open, now that there are other places to go, now that people have other things to focus on other than evil, evil Wessex.

But then there are so many thing she can’t account for, and while no one would deny the Wraith is smart, she is also fallible, amongst other flaws.

“Actually,” she begins slowly, giving Bastien a bit of a sly look. “That’s exactly what I’m here to ask. If we do this right, the only people we’ll be governing will be pro-Ascended, and you certainly don’t need to be any kind of authority. Just a voice and a point of view that’s very different from mine.” She turns and gestures to his home - already far more of a work of art than her large, functional house. “Look at this, Bastien. My mind just doesn’t think, this way. And neither does Amun’s. Which isn’t a bad thing, it’s just the way it is. I need someone softer, with an aesthetic. Who is both unfailingly polite and disarming, to smooth over my rough edges..”

She picks up a toy and looks at it for a moment, waiting to see what he’ll say to her first round of arguments.
No, I’ll be the stone
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
I'm feeling devious
You're looking glamorous
"As long as there's a plan taking shape." Bastien said, amusement but not mockery on his lips; he'd never been one for many plans, preferring to let the whims and happenstances of the day take him where they went.

It did in fact seem Wessex intended to ask him to join her council, something so unexpected that he struggled to believe what he was hearing. Bastien listened to her speak, a bemused smile on his lips in the absence of any words at first. While he appreciated her reasoning, a want for different perspectives...he had never been one to support a Queen, not even when that Queen was his wife.

Unsure what to say, he laughed, and instead asked a question that was on his mind at first: "You say you want people of different perspectives...yet you are purposefully building the council to be pro-Ascended? Now, I am sure it goes without saying I am of that opinion too, but don't you see a contradiction there?"
Let's get mischievous
and polyamorous
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Wesssex smiles and indicates that he’s hit part of the problem on the nose. Shifting slightly in her seat, the Queen nods to acknowledge that that’s exactly what she’s doing. “An Ascended council for an Ascended home.” Taking a bit of a dramatic pause to let that sink in, the explanation returns a moment later. “Who’s left with governing experience or connections that isn’t Ascended? I’d put Evie on the council if I could find her. Deimos left of his own free will, Amalia too. The only people left are new Outlanders, those who aren’t interested in governing, or Oliver - and he has yet to show me anything that inspires much confidence.”

A brief pause to consider what she's just said. "And I'm unwilling to put someone on the council just for diversity's sake. Though if you're counting, with you, it would have at least two Outlanders on it."
No, I’ll be the stone
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
I'm feeling devious
You're looking glamorous
While he supposed that yes, the Hollowed Grounds was the place in Caido with the highest population with Ascended, Bastien had never really considered it 'an Ascended home'. There were still many people living in it's homes, working in it's fields and marketplaces, that had never even seen the Voice and were certainly not about to Ascend. "While you are correct about choices for the government...you said 'an Ascended home'. You don't intend to displace those living here that are not with our Goddess?" He raised an eyebrow, not wanting to believe that could be the case, but having to ask the question.

"You do know that I will likely disagree with you on nearly everything." He said quietly, a light smirk on his lips, as he picked up a paintbrush and tipped it from side to side in his fingers, watching it move as he considered her offer; it depended on what her intentions for Sanctuary truly were.
Let's get mischievous
and polyamorous
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Wessex makes a face as she dismisses the very idea. “Of course not. Like our Lady, I very much believe in free choice. I’d never force anyone out or tell them they can’t worship whichever God - Old or New as they please.” If they want to argue philosophy, she’s more than happy to do it. “A vote is a vote. Everyone gets a say. Majority rules.” And if that say happens to align with what the Ascended want, then so be it. If not, then so be it too. And if they choose to leave, then they are welcome to go and will be welcomed back.

“Well, now - Just to disagree or because you think you’ll truly have a better way of doing something?” Challenging him back, Wessex meets his smirk, placing the toy she’d been fiddling with down on the couch’s arm. “And do you think you can suggest changes constructively?” Disagreement is only useful inso far as they can talk about it - the why's and the how's of it - hell, she and Ronin might have disagreed, but they were able to talk about it. She and Remi might disagree on many things, but they, too, are able to talk about it.

But to be a stubborn ass without reason or without offering an alternative? No. That is not welcome.
No, I’ll be the stone
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
I'm feeling devious
You're looking glamorous
He was pleased to see her disgusted with the idea of removing the non-Ascended from the grounds. Bastien never knew quite what to expect from Wessex, just how hard she would be, and it was good to know he had apparently over-estimated this time. "Good. You may still have some difficulty on your hands with those that dislike the Voice, here. They will see an Ascended council as bias." One thing Bastien did have was a deep knowledge of the people of the Grounds; he had spoken to them, helped them create, grieve, celebrate; he knew how this would look.

As for disagreement, he laughed stronger now, shaking his head. "As obnoxious as I know I can be, the people here and what happens to them is more important than simply arguing for the sake of it. I would speak my mind honestly, whatever it might be on any issue." It was just that in his experience, he'd often thought differently to Wessex.

"...I suppose I don't really have a good reason to disagree." Bastien said after a moment's thought, a soft laugh leaving him. "Clinging onto principals that made sense within my old world does not help the people here. What title are you offering me? I don't want anything grand."
Let's get mischievous
and polyamorous
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Perhaps it’s a good thing, that she can still surprise the Family (though to be honest, the two of them didn’t know each other that well, and both sides were filled with preconceived notions that would have to be broken down), but the feeling that she’s managed to rise above expectations sparks a bit of pride. Growth. It’s a thing. It happens.

“I know. And they are free to leave if they want. Enough certainly have.” Which means they forfeit the right to care, in her opinion, what happens here. Wessex has never truly been popular, but she has always shown up, always come back, always did the work. It was more than could be said about some of her predecessors. “But I want the Grounds shaped by those who choose to stay. So we’re on the same page about listening to what they want.” A small smile, then, as she folds her hands in her lap and they seem to come to sort of agreement about what their priorities are and their own dispositions, in a way. “And I promise to listen and genuinely consider what you say.”

Now. On to his title. “I was thinking Ambassador. But a simple Advisor would also fit.” She shrugs with a tiny lift of her shoulders. “Up to you.”
No, I’ll be the stone
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
I'm feeling devious
You're looking glamorous
Were he in an argumentative mood or in the council already, Bastien might have pointed out that many had left because they felt as if the Grounds was becoming an Ascended-only region, whether it was true or not...but he wasn't yet, and it could be a conversation for another day. There were still plenty of people in the town that didn't mind the new Queen or her people, and he supposed it would be more fruitful to provide for them.

"A lot of my experience is not in tactical matters or...anything violent, but in talk and people." He was sure she already knew that; he was hardly a fighter or an adventurer, quite content to stay in his Sanctuary and make work, take people in. "I think 'Ambassador' fits that role well, I will just have to make sure I don't say it too often, to prevent a big head." Because obviously he did not have one already.

Standing up, he held out a hand towards Wessex to seal the deal, a glimpse of something more serious in his eyes. "Then I will join you."
Let's get mischievous
and polyamorous