(se) and so the best that I can do is pray (open)
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
just take your time wherever you go
Saiden cocked his head to one side. "So ye had a wet dream and woke up with a kid?" Laughing, he grinned at Ronin. "No offense, but I really hope that doesn't start happening to me," he teased. The cook smirked, though he nudged the Dark Star gently in the ribs with an elbow.

"Ah." The Hali looked down at the cloud then back up at the other man. "So it's pretty simple then."

When they landed, Saiden swung off the cloud. Making his way up to the porch, he took the indicated seat. "Aye, I know. Thank you, though." He reached up to clasp Ronin's hand for the briefest of moments.

While the cook waited, he settled into the chair, gazing up at the clouds rolling past. However, it wasn't long before the Dark Star returned. And, more importantly, he brought Mateo. The cook leaned forward, beaming. "Well hello there Mateo. I'm Saiden," he cooed, making sure to keep his voice quiet. Glancing up at the other man, the Hali smiled. "Ye were right. A little heartbreaker already."

Still whispering, he spoke to the baby again. "I hope ye take after yer other daddy. This one's a looker, but not much goin' on up here." Saiden reached up to tap his forehead, glancing up to grin unrepentantly at Ronin.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

"I always wanted a big family, so I'd not be adverse if it happened more often, honestly. Just maybe not all at once," Ronin says with a grin, shrugging his shoulders and adjusting Mateo in his arms that Saiden can better see the boy. The grin on his face only grows at the confirmation that his son will be breaking hearts, Ronin brushing an errant curl out of the boy's face. He stirs a bit at the voices, however low they might be, and eyes that hint towards being blue slowly blink open, before scrunching as he gives a mighty yawn.

If his arms weren't full, the Star would give his friend a good natured smack for that remark, but as it is he can merely level a playful glare in his direction. "You can go off a person, you know," he snipes, before nodding down at Mateo. "Would you like to hold him?"

RONIN
Darkness is a funny thing. It creeps up on you.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Saiden nodded at Ronin's comments, though the cook only had eyes for Mateo. "Well, I already gave ye my advice on that front." The Hali smiled, eye flicking up to the Dark Star for just a moment before returning to the baby.

Laughing quietly at the other man's comment, Saiden spoke in that conspiratorial whisper to Mateo once again. "An' he's got a bit o' a temper too, it seems." He smiled. "But he's a good man at heart, so ye better mind him."

As Ronin offered to let the cook hold the baby, the Hali nodded. "Yes," he breathed, already stretching out his hands to take the boy from the Dark Star.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"Mm, he does have a bit of a temper," Ronin agrees with a mischievous bounce of his eyebrows, carefully transferring the boy from his own arms and into Saiden's, before he takes a seat beside the Hali. The chairs on the porch rock gently (because of course they do), so Ronin sets his to going, watching the sailor and his son with calm satisfaction. "You're a natural, though I can't say I'm surprised." With a family as big as the Hali's had been, it must have been all hands on deck with the kids.

For his part, Mateo settles easily with strangers (something the Star would be worried about were it not for the fact that no one was technically a stranger, in truth), cooing up at Saiden and wiggling in his arms a bit, and Ronin snorts. "If he tries to start sucking on your shirt, he's hungry," he warns.

RONIN
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Chuckling at Ronin's response, Saiden shrugged. "Nothin' wrong with that." He cradled Mateo, holding the baby close. Rocking as well, the cook bounced a little in his seat. "Aye well, helpin' to raise three younger siblings will do that," he agreed in a quiet rumble. Glancing up from Mateo for just a moment, the Hali grinned. "First thing I ever learned to cook was heated up milk." It was literally all hands on deck, since their dad was a shit and their moms didn't last long for one reason or other.

Cooing right back at the baby, Saiden smiled down at the boy. "Nothin' wrong with that either. It's good ye've got a healthy appetite." The cook dropped his voice to that whisper again, which obviously carried to the demi-god's ears. "An' if yer dads' cooking ain't to yer liking I can always whip something up for ye." Looking up, the Hali winked at the Dark Star. Then the cook started to hum deep in his chest, more vibration than sound, hoping to lull the infant back to sleep.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"I believe it." Ronin laughs, slumping back in his chair to watch the Hali and his son. "Excuse me, my cooking is perfectly up to par. Granted, yours is absolutely going to be better, but still." Grinning, he falls quiet a bit to listen to the hum vibrate in Saiden's chest. Mateo is helpless to stay awake with it - along with the rocking, obviously - and soon enough the babe is fast asleep again, nestled close against the sailor's chest. And Ronin has nearly dropped off, too.

"Do you ever think about it?" he asks softly, his tone quiet and relaxed, the creak of the chair a gentle and rhythmic noise in the background. "Having children, I mean. Did you ever want a family?" Ronin imagines he already knows the answer, given how big a family the Hali came from, but he still has to ask.

RONIN
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Smirking, Saiden looked down at the slumbering Mateo. "We'll let this little one be the judge of that," the cook cooed. Glancing up at Ronin, the Hali waggled his eyebrows before returning his attention to soothing the baby.

The humming and rocking both stopped when the Dark Star asked his question. For a moment, Saiden was frozen in place. Then he resumed the rocking, though he'd turned his head away from the other man. "I have. Of course I have. Just...waitin' for the right person to start it with." Sighing, the cook shook his head. "I thought I had, but..." Voice trailing off, he closed his eye.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"Mm, I suppose we will. If his appetite is anything to go by, we won't be waiting long to find out." Because leaving Torchline to travel or not, there's no reason to think that he and Remi won't be back frequently to visit. Ronin has all but relaxed in his chair when he becomes aware that his question has struck something of a nerve, and he shoots an apologetic glance across to Saiden with a nod.

"That was insensitive wording on my part, sorry," he murmurs, casting his gaze out across the grasslands before them. "But you lost them," he says, finishing the Hali's sentence and ruffling a hand through his hair. "There's always hope, Saiden. I'm evidence of that, if nothing else." After Vanya, after dying, after marrying a man knowing it probably meant they would never have biological children of their own, there was Mateo.

RONIN
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Chuckling under his breath, Saiden nodded. He bounced Mateo up and down. "Yer gonna need the food, since I imagine ye'll grow up big and strong like yer dads." Still speaking in that cooing whisper, the cook smiled.

It slipped away as the conversation swung around to Eloise. He sighed and rocked back and forth in silence for a few moments. "I appreciate ye sayin' that, mate, but we can't all be as charmingly and disarmingly handsome as ye." Although the Hali attempted a grin, it fell flat. "She left me long before she drowned. But yer right, I'll just have to see who's out there." He nodded at the Dark Star, both acknowledging and thanking the other man.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"Big and strong, but hopefully a bit smarter." Ronin winks at Saiden. Smarter might mean a number of things, and among them was definitely cautious, but if this was Remi and Ronin's son, Mateo didn't really stand a chance in that department. He watches the sailor with the baby with a sense of quiet relaxation, of being able to let his guard down a bit, knowing the boy was in safe hands.

Still, it's with an edge of sadness that the conversation moves on, Ronin shooting his friend a rather withering look, but understanding nonetheless. "Even with one eye, you're a striking sort of guy, Saiden," he drawls, as if the Hali might have missed that fact. "Just let the wind blow you where it might. You never know what - or who - might drop in your lap."

RONIN
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Snorting at Ronin's prediction (or was it a wish?), Saiden smirked. "That last part won't be too hard." He jerked his chin at the Dark Star. "Like I said, not much going on up there." Chuckling, the cook grinned, though he made sure to keep both his voice and his laughter at a low volume.

He shrugged, though he was careful not to disturb Mateo. "Handsome ain't charming," he pointed out. However, the Hali smiled, and this time it stuck. "Don't worry too much about me. I don't want my doom and gloom to dampen yer mood." He glanced out at the horizon. "I'll just find me someone who doesn't mind I'm gone half the year. Or better yet, willin' to sail with me." Although he imagined Jack would have quite a bit to say about that latter hope.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"I'll have you know that I'm full of hidden nuggets of wisdom. You're suffering through one of them right now," Ronin says breezily, his foot reaching out to kick against the porch, setting his chair to rocking a little more. He lets his gaze settle out to the rest of Torchline, a place he'll soon be leaving behind, at least for a while. He'll miss it, and the connections made during that time. But he's also sure it will just make seeing everyone again all the sweeter, when it does happen.

With a grin in Saiden's direction, he shrugs his shoulders. "That doesn't sound like too much to ask, does it?" he says, a chuckle rumbling up in his chest. "Listen, I bet the next time I see you, you'll have a beauty on your arm. And if not, I'll make that sacrifice and be your date for the night." And it's up to Saiden, whether that's an offer or a threat.

~FIN

RONIN