right now everything you want is wrong
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
kiss quick, i've got a line out the door who all think they can save me
You've never seen the ocean before. It is as vast as you always imagined it to be, though you never expected to feel such a sense of gravity standing before it. It's as though your muscles are being tugged forward through your skin, making you want to run right into the blue surf. You don't though, instead standing fixed on the beach, too frightened to move forward into the shallows even though you're quite aware of how safe it is.

It's your first time after all, and as with most things, you're more than alright taking your time.

You wear a pale sundress that is too large for you. It shrugs off one shoulder, clumsily brushing against your thighs at uneven angles. This is a far cry from the scrubs you normally wear, but given how hot you knew Torchline was going to be you had to make do with what you had. And what you had was a plea to borrow something, and this is what you were given.
October
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
AmaLiA
Safrin's shield
It is not a subtle shift, the qilin, large and robed in fire and scales as the creature is. She holds her long, long tail aloft to keep it from the sand, and the delicate prints she leaves on the shore are large as dinner plates. Still Amalia feels some comfort walking near the water in this shift, taking solace in the knowledge that she can stride upon its surface if needed.

She does not want to drown.

She doesn't recognize the woman, except in the vague, bewitching way which one might recall a dream. Her first thought is that she resembles her mother; her second thought is that this is silly, and that the resemblance is vaguely passing at best.

Still, it's enough to hold her where she, curious and unsure. Amalia pulls up short in the sand, blinking her large dark eyes at the woman who is half of a dream. She doesn't know if she is Attuned, but figures it's worth a try. Hello? the qilin inquires softly, Do... are you going for a swim?
& once again I shall kiss the sky
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
The Qilin's hooves are muffled on the sound, but you probably wouldn't have noticed even were she walking on cobblestones, so entranced you are by the sea. So when a voice stretches into your mind you react with a start, heart racing and shoulders tensing as you glance over your shoulder. And of course, the thing that you see does very little to calm your now-racing pulse.

A qilin? Here? But no, she must be an attuned, if she's speaking to you. Still, such a shift is impressive to say the least.

No, I...well.. You laugh, cheeks round and rosy. I don't know how to swim, actually. Where I live the sea is far down the cliffs and is certainly not as welcoming as this. Glancing down at the Qilin's slender legs and hooves, clearly not made for swimming (not to mention the fire), you tilt your head slightly. Are you? You wonder politely enough, even if you think the answer is no.
October
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
AmaLiA
Safrin's shield
It's a relief to have the mental voice answered in kind, Amalia feeling at ease with fellow Attuned despite no longer technically belonging to their ranks. Wrapping her tail around her legs, the qilin tilts her bi-horned head at the woman, a warm expression in her dark eyes.

Warmth which cools suddenly, the description of sea down the cliffs ringing many a bell. Stormbreak? she states as much as asks, wondering if this is not another denizen of that distant, secretive land. She wants to press further but holds her tongue, scuffing uncomfortably at the sand. I grew up far from the ocean, but I still learned to swim, Amalia says instead.

Not that she's any good at it, or intends to venture into the water now. Shaking her head, the qilin huffs a half-laugh. Why are you here, then? the girl wonders instead, looking out at the waves.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Mmmhmm. How did you know? This is said with mere curiosity; there is no accusation or anger on your part. Members of the Order have been making themselves more available lately, and so it isn't any great surprise that there are those who know of the capital.

Nodding a touch at that, you run a hand over your shoulder as if you're cold (though you aren't). My shift is a dog, so I'm sure I would pick up on it pretty quickly. I just...I had friends lost to the sea when I was young, so I've just never really...had any interest. Maybe if it always looked like this though. This latter sentiment is thought with a bit of a sigh.

Ahh well. I actually came here to try and find a gift for a friend. I was hoping for...an instrument that captured the feel of this place. Do you know where I might find something like that?
October
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AmaLiA
Safrin's shield
It's the only place I've heard of with cliffs that meet the sea. Her slender shoulders roll in a not-quite-equid shrug, not sure what to make of the fact that her guess has proven correct. It makes her uneasy, as it usually does, not knowing anything about a person who may know everything about her, but any standoffishness Amalia might have felt ebbs like the tide when the woman explains why she didn't learn to swim.

Suddenly deflated the Shield can only nod, her eyes still on the glittering sea. I'm sorry, she responds gently, the Attuned bond making clear the sincerity of the sentiment. A friend of mine drowned, too. The memory of Maea, cold and pure, flashes through her mind and the bond before she has a chance to draw it back.

Perhaps a smarter individual might have pieced together the idea of finding a musical instrument for a friend and the belonging to Stormbreak, but Amalia has never been good at subtle nuances. I don't know a lot about music, but there's plenty of shops on the docks. Turning back to the not-quite-familiar woman, the Shield rolls her shoulders again. I can go with you. If... if you want. Though probably not in this form.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Ahh.. You pause for a moment as you think. You know, you're right. No where else has cliffs and the sea, except perhaps Angel's End, though those aren't the same sort of cliffs. Shrugging your shoulders happy enough for this strange creature to have proved herself the victor in this, you give your head an easy shake to indicate that there's no hard feelings. It's alright. It was a long time ago. I still visit their graves on the Sleeping Steps once a year on the day. Pausing, you offer the Qilin a genuine look of sympathy, no doubt similar to the one she might have given you, was her deer-like face capable of such things. I'm very sorry to hear that. Do you want to talk about it?{i/}

Smiling brightly to know that your search won't be in vain, you only smile wider to hear that this woman would accompany you. Though you do spend most of your time alone because of the nature of your work, that doesn't mean you're antisocial by any means. {i]I\'d quite like that, but only if you\'re comfortable. And besides, who is going to say anything to you, looking like that?[/say} You add with a chuckle. Though you don't know anything about the woman within the mythical creature, you're sure that even here in Torchline, surely the Qilin would be given the space she needs to walk along the dockside markets.{/i}
October
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AmaLiA
Safrin's shield
Angel's End? Amalia wonders, not having heard of such a place. Have you travelled to many places? What else is there in Caido? Curiosity is a bright thing in her warm equid eyes, and she paws the ground eagerly, leaving furrows in the sand. Though at the idea of speaking to her own losses the Shield subdues again, turning back out to the water and swallowing. It was... we hadn't been close for a long time. There are things I wish I'd done differently, before she died, but...

The qilin trails off, her shoulders rolling in a shrug. The loss of Maea is an old wound, relatively shallow compared to so many others she's endured through the years. Turning back to the stranger, she tilts her head at the bright smile, a laugh like raindrops bubbling from her throat. I suppose that's true, Amalia agrees, Though I was more worried about space issues.

For now, at least, it can do no harm to stay wrapped in this skin. Stepping forward to lead the woman to the docks, she turns back her long serpentine neck, slashing her tail over the sand. Do you want a ride?
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
No...I don't get to travel much. I know about most of the places though. You shrug your shoulders, not sounding sad about this fact, but a bit...meloncholly perhaps. For a future that you'll never experience.

Oh.. You frown, genuine sorrow in your dark stare as you lend a sympathetic ear. That is always the most difficult..the things we wished we could do, but can't now. Perhaps one year during the Festival of Lights you will see her again. This you offer with a bright smile, ever the optimist.

At the offer of a ride, you step back, blinking your long lashes repeatedly as you introspect to try and answer the question. Do you want to ride? As an attuned yourself, you're not at all worried about the weirdness of riding someone else, so much as the lack of grace you're sure to demonstrate. But, given that you aren't too worried about the court of public opinion, you shrug your shoulders and grin. Why not! With all this sand, I suppose it won't hurt too much when I inevitably fall off.
October
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AmaLiA
Safrin's shield
For a moment she wonders if she's overstepped with the offer, but then the woman nods her assent, her bright smile echoed through the Attuned bond. I'll do my best to keep you steady, Amalia promises warmly, nodding her large head.

Turning so that her side is to the stranger, the Shield kneels down into the sand, lowering her body so that the other Attuned might settle onto her back. I'm told the worst is when I stand, so uh, feel free to grab my mane. Or tail. Said tail loops around now, wrapping gently in front of her passenger as she had once done for Remi.

Carefully Amalia stands, the motion not unlike a rocking horse as her hindquarters lead and her forelegs follow. Once she's risen the qilin looks back, large head coiling to check on her passenger. You good?